PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Tackles

Fritz
04-03-2010, 08:50 AM
There's a need to find someone to groom to take over for Clifton, and many folks on this board mention that they hope a Bulage will fall to the pack. But what about Charles Brown of USC? Here's a blurb about him from the GBPG: "Brown (6-5 1/8, 297) had a 32-inch vertical jump and 8-5 broad jump, which are both good for a left tackle, and he has extremely long arms at 34 5/8 inches. He figures to go late in the first round or early in the second."

Anybody know much about the guy? Could TT trade down (if he can find a taker) and get this guy? Does he have the skills and motivation to succeed?

And does anyone think Iupati or Pouncey are worth taking to shore up the inside and permanently move Lang over to RT?

ND72
04-03-2010, 09:02 AM
There's a need to find someone to groom to take over for Clifton, and many folks on this board mention that they hope a Bulage will fall to the pack. But what about Charles Brown of USC? Here's a blurb about him from the GBPG: "Brown (6-5 1/8, 297) had a 32-inch vertical jump and 8-5 broad jump, which are both good for a left tackle, and he has extremely long arms at 34 5/8 inches. He figures to go late in the first round or early in the second."

Anybody know much about the guy? Could TT trade down (if he can find a taker) and get this guy? Does he have the skills and motivation to succeed?

And does anyone think Iupati or Pouncey are worth taking to shore up the inside and permanently move Lang over to RT?

I'm going to work backwards here....

Iupati and Pouncey. Everything I've read about these 2 are they are "sure" picks at C/G. I'm an OL guy...love monster guys which these 2 figure to be, but I HATE taking a C/G in round 1. It's just not glamorous. That being said one of my favorite packers was Aaron Taylor. If we took one of those 2, I think we could put Lang at RT...but I still think Lang's future is at Guard...he's a nasty player, needs to be inside.

Tackles...Charles Brown is one of those guys I've read about that I do like for us at 23. One report I read said, "While Anthony Davis and Bruce Campbell will wow you, and impress you enough for them to go high, Charles Brown is a good, solid player that will step on a team day one and start on their OL, and be there for the next 10 years." Compared him heavily to Baker in ATL who is also a USC guy, and he's pretty dang good. USA Today's Draft Magazine has us looking towards him.

Fritz
04-03-2010, 09:06 AM
I like this. He might be a very solid pick.

HarveyWallbangers
04-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Is he athletic enough? NFL Network reported his 40 time was like 5.3, so it made me think that he might not be mobile enough for the ZBS.

vince
04-03-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't know how much a 40 time indicates for a LT, but Brown is athletic enough for the ZBS. He's built for the ZBS.

From NFL Draft Countdown. I don't buy a couple of the weankesses, other than he's not strong enough yet - and those that derive from that.

Strengths:
Great height --- Really long arms --- Has a frame that can accommodate more weight --- Excellent athlete --- Quick and agile --- Nimble feet --- A natural knee bender --- Slides well laterally and can mirror --- Excels in pass pro --- Terrific range to pull and get to the second level --- Gives good effort --- Decent instincts and awareness --- Considerable upside.

Weaknesses:
Raw as a technician --- Needs to continue bulking up --- Not real tough or physical --- Isn't very strong --- Questionable balance --- Doesn't always use proper leverage --- Has trouble sustaining blocks --- Does not protect the edge as well as he should --- Isn't stout at the point of attack --- Will not get a huge push in the run game --- Lacks versatility.

ND72
04-03-2010, 12:08 PM
I don't know how much a 40 time indicates for a LT, but Brown is athletic enough for the ZBS. He's built for the ZBS.

From NFL Draft Countdown. I don't buy a couple of the weankesses, other than he's not strong enough yet - and those that derive from that.

Strengths:
Great height --- Really long arms --- Has a frame that can accommodate more weight --- Excellent athlete --- Quick and agile --- Nimble feet --- A natural knee bender --- Slides well laterally and can mirror --- Excels in pass pro --- Terrific range to pull and get to the second level --- Gives good effort --- Decent instincts and awareness --- Considerable upside.

Weaknesses:
Raw as a technician --- Needs to continue bulking up --- Not real tough or physical --- Isn't very strong --- Questionable balance --- Doesn't always use proper leverage --- Has trouble sustaining blocks --- Does not protect the edge as well as he should --- Isn't stout at the point of attack --- Will not get a huge push in the run game --- Lacks versatility.

I put in bold the one quality you cannot teach that makes offensive lineman very very good.

MadScientist
04-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Strengths:

Weaknesses:
So it sounds like he needs an NFL strength and conditioning (very doable) and some good coaching (shit we're screwed there) and he will be a good LT.

I like the sound of him better than Mays. Picking a guy at 23 who is projected at ~30 is hardly reaching, and not worth the risk of trading down if you want him and he is still there.

RashanGary
04-03-2010, 01:36 PM
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/995/F258897.jpg

This is sort of odd-ball, speculation, but that guy doesn't look naturally big. His body fat is too low, almost like he's all performance enhancers.

I don't know, I've never seen a great OL look like that.

But yeah, I like him better than Mays, even if he is all performance enhancer. At least he was a really good player in college. That bodes well for him.

Bretsky
04-03-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm watching Path to the Draft on NFL Network right now.

They were debating how soon Anthony Davis would go

PRO'S
Great Talent
Physical specimen
Loaded with upside

CONS
Immature
Past Weight Issues
A bit raw and may not have understanding of how hard he'll have to work

Overall they think he'll probably be drafted in the 10-15 range but they felt he was more of a guy worthy of being drafted in the 20's

Being a Big Ten guy, I'm still hoping for the IOWA OT if we draft one in round one or the Indiana OT in round two

red
04-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Is he athletic enough? NFL Network reported his 40 time was like 5.3, so it made me think that he might not be mobile enough for the ZBS.

he's a converted TE, so he should be athletic enough. and because of that he's raw at tackle and a little small for the position(but could fill out)

i've read he can be lazy at times, but overall i wouldn't mind picking him. draft him and let him be a back up for a year or two to master the position. i think he could turn into a solid LT.

i also wouldn't mind drafting iupati or pouncey in the 1st. but there's a slim chance both could be gone by then

with a choice like that you're looking at either drafting the 5th tackle in the draft or so, or drafting the best guard or center this year

Maxie the Taxi
04-03-2010, 03:20 PM
I've posted it before...

I'd draft Pouncey. I've watched him at Florida. He's a natural. A high character guy. Scouts say he'll be an All-Pro Center, and be top notch for a decade. Our current Centers are injury question marks and not All-Pro material.

Why not draft him?

Brandon494
04-03-2010, 04:23 PM
I've posted it before...

I'd draft Pouncey. I've watched him at Florida. He's a natural. A high character guy. Scouts say he'll be an All-Pro Center, and be top notch for a decade. Our current Centers are injury question marks and not All-Pro material.

Why not draft him?

Because our center was not the reason we allowed the most sacks in the NFL.

Fritz
04-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Well, the Pack went with Jamaal Reynolds at #10 and with the Packers' pick the Seahawks went with some guard named Steve Hutchinson.

If a guy's going to lock down a position for ten years, versus a guy who may or may not work out, you go with the lock down.

packrulz
04-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I have to say, from what I saw of Charlie Brown, he looked kind of small to me, but then again, Clifton isn't that big either, that doesn't mean he isn't good, but I would rate guys like Pouncey and Iupati ahead of him.

pbmax
04-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Does anyone have a complete set of numbers from Charles Brown? He apparently didn't do all the combine workouts. nfldraftscout.com has him running a 5.2 but no splits.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2010_OT

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/paisans_2006/otackleprospects.png

pbmax
04-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Well, this clears some of that up.

Orange County Register - USC Blog (http://usc.freedomblogging.com/2010/04/01/nfl-draft-is-charles-brown-slipping/35893/)[/b]]Pulling a hamstring was an especially bad break for offensive tackle Charles Brown at USC’s pro day Wednesday.

Brown also missed the Senior Bowl because of a calf injury, and he didn’t do all the drills at the scouting combine either. None of this is a red flag, but it doesn’t exactly endear Brown to evaluators.

One scout told me that he thought Damian Williams might surpass Brown on his team’s draft board — in part because Williams is rising, in part because Brown is slipping.

I’d be shocked if Brown made it out of the second round — he’s an extremely talented player, with room for growth, at a position every team needs — but I don’t think he’s a first-rounder anymore.

Maxie the Taxi
04-04-2010, 01:01 PM

Orange County Register - USC Blog (http://usc.freedomblogging.com/2010/04/01/nfl-draft-is-charles-brown-slipping/35893/)[/b]]Pulling a hamstring was an especially bad break for offensive tackle Charles Brown at USC’s pro day Wednesday.

Brown also missed the Senior Bowl because of a calf injury, and he didn’t do all the drills at the scouting combine either. None of this is a red flag, but it doesn’t exactly endear Brown to evaluators.

One scout told me that he thought Damian Williams might surpass Brown on his team’s draft board — in part because Williams is rising, in part because Brown is slipping.

I’d be shocked if Brown made it out of the second round — he’s an extremely talented player, with room for growth, at a position every team needs — but I don’t think he’s a first-rounder anymore.

Damian Williams is one hell of a receiver. He's like Donald Driver sans Driver's guts.

red
04-04-2010, 01:59 PM

Damian Williams is one hell of a receiver. He's like Donald Driver sans Driver's guts.

with the way other recent USC WR's have fared in the NFL i would avoid them like the plague

Fritz
04-05-2010, 08:46 AM

One of the better left-handed compliments I've ever read. Good one, Maxie!

steve823
04-09-2010, 11:56 PM

he's a converted TE, so he should be athletic enough. and because of that he's raw at tackle and a little small for the position(but could fill out)

i've read he can be lazy at times, but overall i wouldn't mind picking him. draft him and let him be a back up for a year or two to master the position. i think he could turn into a solid LT.

i also wouldn't mind drafting iupati or pouncey in the 1st. but there's a slim chance both could be gone by then

with a choice like that you're looking at either drafting the 5th tackle in the draft or so, or drafting the best guard or center this year

That's exactly why I'm skeptical in reaching for a tackle. If one falls and an opportunity presents itself, then we should pick him without a doubt. However, I don't think we should be reaching for a tackle with our pick. If we find a great center or guard, olb, or cb, it would be better in my opinion.

I would see if any good O-line prospects are available when our pick is up and if none are, then we should trade down and get Jerry Hughes. OLB is very important in our 3-4 HE would be a great compliment to Matthews and would also help our secondary tremendously.

Fritz
04-10-2010, 06:27 AM
Bruce Campbell scares me. The Pack draft him, I'm afraid he'll have Ahmad Carroll Syndrome while every week at the podium MM will be talking about getting the guy's pad level down.

I'd much rather see Brown in Green Bay - he seems to have the technique and just needs time to build up his strength.