PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Eagles' McNabb swapped to Redskins

Brandon494
04-04-2010, 07:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5055346

The two sides still must finalize language, but McNabb is now headed to Washington. Sources said the deal involved the Redskins' second-round pick in the 2010 draft and either a third- or fourth-round pick next year, depending on several factors.

Solid pickup for the Skins

pbmax
04-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Wow. In the division. Kolb will be under some pressure. I wonder if Banner and Reid have the entire support of their owner. Because this could easily look bad short term. Gutsy move. But they got their price. A high second rounder.

ND72
04-04-2010, 07:34 PM
wow.....trading inter-division in a trade like that is never heard of, and is extremely ballsy. That changes a lot of stuff now though....mostly for the Redskins. They could move Campbell now, for draft picks...and now, Bradford/Claussen going to DC now is probalby not an option, which bumps them how far???

WOW...big.

pbmax
04-04-2010, 08:00 PM
wow.....trading inter-division in a trade like that is never heard of, and is extremely ballsy. That changes a lot of stuff now though....mostly for the Redskins. They could move Campbell now, for draft picks...and now, Bradford/Claussen going to DC now is probalby not an option, which bumps them how far???

WOW...big.
A lot depends on whether they sign McNabb to an extension. If he is there more than year, which you would think he would be for a second round pick, then they could draft the eventual QB down the road. But if its short term, then their needs change only slightly.

wist43
04-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Yeah, that was the first thing I thought of too... in the division???

What next, cats and dogs sleeping together???

As Robert Downey Jr. said in Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang... "this is every shade of wrong" :D

red
04-04-2010, 08:11 PM
wow, big move

looks like the skins weren't sold on clausen being a top 5 pick

Brando19
04-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Geesh. Reid is having a press conference on tv at 9:30 eastern time tonight. In division trading? Wonder if we could get Adrian Peterson or Jared Allen? :lol:

Little Whiskey
04-04-2010, 08:33 PM
yahoo, is reporting it too

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txeaglesredskinstrade

Brandon494
04-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Geesh. Reid is having a press conference on tv at 9:30 eastern time tonight. In division trading? Wonder if we could get Adrian Peterson or Jared Allen? :lol:

I'd rather have Calvin Johnson.

rbaloha1
04-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Bad move -- to a division rival with young and talented skill players.

Could have Favre like impact.

Brando19
04-04-2010, 08:51 PM

Not me...Jared Allen anyday of the week over CJ...but I wouldn't turn Calvin Johnson down.

Bretsky
04-04-2010, 09:07 PM
takes a lot of stones to trade your best player to a rival even if they were offering the most in a deal

Brandon494
04-04-2010, 09:51 PM

Not me...Jared Allen anyday of the week over CJ...but I wouldn't turn Calvin Johnson down.

I know you love your white players :lol: but Jared Allen would not fit in our defensive scheme. Plus CJ is younger and has never really had a QB with the Lions.

Lurker64
04-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Kind of bad for us, actually. This essentially guarantees that the Redskins will take an OT at #4, so that's one less OT that we could end up picking.

pbmax
04-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Kind of bad for us, actually. This essentially guarantees that the Redskins will take an OT at #4, so that's one less OT that we could end up picking.
Depends on McNabb's contract status. They have three weeks to get him an extension. If he signs it, or is close, then I think they go somewhere other than QB. But if he is a short term guy, they still need a QB. Especially if, as people are speculating now, the Redskins will move Campbell.

red
04-04-2010, 10:17 PM

I know you love your white players :lol: but Jared Allen would not fit in our defensive scheme. Plus CJ is younger and has never really had a QB with the Lions.

i'm with brandon all the way.

allen doesn't fit our d at all

give me megatron any day of the week. with a top notch QB he'll become the most unstopable WR in the nfl. he's a bigger stronger randy moss in his prime, without any of the attitude problems

Bossman641
04-04-2010, 10:40 PM
I actually think this is a good trade for both teams. Shanahan gets a qb and Philly gets a high 2nd and 3rd/4th round pick. Very ballsy move trading within the division.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-05-2010, 01:38 AM

i'm with brandon all the way.

allen doesn't fit our d at all

give me megatron any day of the week. with a top notch QB he'll become the most unstopable WR in the nfl. he's a bigger stronger randy moss in his prime, without any of the attitude problems

Why does everyone always forget about Ernie Sims? Imagine him on the corner paired with Matthews. Ah...to dream a little dream.

mngolf19
04-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Depends on McNabb's contract status. They have three weeks to get him an extension. If he signs it, or is close, then I think they go somewhere other than QB. But if he is a short term guy, they still need a QB. Especially if, as people are speculating now, the Redskins will move Campbell.

I saw a story where Shanahan met with Bradford AFTER the trade was complete. I think there is still more to happen or that they are still looking for a young QB.

Little Whiskey
04-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Sounds like Mcnabb forced this trade. he did what brett couldn't. force a trade in the division. it also looks like Kolb was part of this too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-mcnabbtrade040410

Harlan Huckleby
04-05-2010, 08:09 AM
I think this was a good move for both teams.

Why is there not more talk about Ron Mexico in any of the sports stories?

edit: I see a few mentions that Vick won't compete with Kolb for starting job, apparently Reid made statement to that effect?

Fritz
04-05-2010, 08:44 AM
that's a good question, blue dog.

Interesting that the Iggles got more for a sometimes-injured McNabb than TT could get for a million-games-in-a-row-started Favre. Maybe it's because it was in intra division trade.

pbmax
04-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Sounds like Mcnabb forced this trade. he did what brett couldn't. force a trade in the division. it also looks like Kolb was part of this too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-mcnabbtrade040410
Cole has a pretty good track record. He has broken some good stuff. Though the compensation seems to be exactly what they wanted, I have read elsewhere the Raiders thought they had sealed the deal.

RashanGary
04-05-2010, 10:04 AM
I think this trade is probably a mix of three things:

1. They really like Kevin Kolb

2. They like the depth of this draft into the early 2nd round especially. (That's the buzz everywhere, this is a GREAT draft).

and

3. They didn't feel McNabb was as great as some of the media do.

Fritz
04-05-2010, 10:49 AM
I think part of this comes down to the fact that the Raiders didn't want to take a chance on a guy who said he'd retire rather than play for them.

Ron Wolf went in the other direction and traded for some fast tight end guy - some guy named Keith Jackson, I think - who said he'd never play for Green Bay. And Wolf convinced the dude to play for the Pack. And I think that guy did pretty good.

Makes me wonder - what if the Raiders and Eagles had pulled the trigger? Would McNabb really retire if he wanted to keep playing?

packerbacker1234
04-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Makes me wonder - what if the Raiders and Eagles had pulled the trigger? Would McNabb really retire if he wanted to keep playing?

Wouldn't be the first time. Jake the snake retired way way way way early because of the distaste of a trade. He didn't have as proliphic of a career as Mcnabb, but he was still a pretty decent QB at the time.

Brandon494
04-05-2010, 11:22 AM
I think this trade is probably a mix of three things:

1. They really like Kevin Kolb

2. They like the depth of this draft into the early 2nd round especially. (That's the buzz everywhere, this is a GREAT draft).

and

3. They didn't feel McNabb was as great as some of the media do.

Had nothing to do with if they thought McNabb was as great as the media, had everything to do with age and him only having 1 year left on his contract. They didnt want to give a QB of his age another big contract and didn't want to just let him walk without getting something in return.

Also you have to factor in Vick, they reportly had Kolb and McNabb on the trading block but not Vick. That shows right there how much they think of Vick.

packerbacker1234
04-05-2010, 11:29 AM
[quote=JustinHarrell]Also you have to factor in Vick, they reportly had Kolb and McNabb on the trading block but not Vick. That shows right there how much they think of Vick.

The very select times Vick was on the field... he did look good. Didn't he also throw the only good pass of the entire game in the playoffs for the eagles? there is a chance they may indeed think a bit highly of vick. Be interesting to see if they want him to have more play time in a few more packages.

Harlan Huckleby
04-05-2010, 03:25 PM
3. They didn't feel McNabb was as great as some of the media do. I think McNabb is underrated. When he has some recievers, he's an excellent QB.

Freak Out
04-05-2010, 03:48 PM
I cannot imagine Vick and Kolb not competing for the starting job.....didn't Ron start some shit last year when he wasn't given a few touches a game? Unless they go full on wildcat I think Ron starts metastasizing. :lol:

Brando19
04-05-2010, 03:48 PM
I think this was a good move for both teams.

Why is there not more talk about Ron Mexico in any of the sports stories?

edit: I see a few mentions that Vick won't compete with Kolb for starting job, apparently Reid made statement to that effect?

Yes, Reid said Kolb is the starting QB now.

pbmax
04-05-2010, 08:39 PM
I cannot imagine Vick and Kolb not competing for the starting job.....didn't Ron start some shit last year when he wasn't given a few touches a game? Unless they go full on wildcat I think Ron starts metastasizing. :lol:
Vick has said he doesn't see his role changing. He has to backup just one more year. On the plus side: Kolb falls on his face?

mission
04-05-2010, 08:58 PM

Interesting that the Iggles got more for a sometimes-injured McNabb than TT could get for a million-games-in-a-row-started Favre. Maybe it's because it was in intra division trade.

I think it had more to do with how long the team is expecting to have their investment around.

A Kia with 21 miles is worth a lot more than a Porsche with a rusted
out chassis and 300,000 miles (I think!)

:)

packerbacker1234
04-06-2010, 03:02 AM
3. They didn't feel McNabb was as great as some of the media do. I think McNabb is underrated. When he has some recievers, he's an excellent QB.

Take any average QB, give him rock star wr's, and yeah he's good. I always felt Tom Brady, for example, was just an average QB with good coaching staff and run game/defense around him. Never threw for 30+td's in a season ever, and most his close games were won thanks to the kicker.

Then, he gets randy moss, welker, and stallworth and magically he has 50 td's. Cassel even looked like a great QB with those WR's.

Thats one thing with Rodgers that makes you wonder how good he really is. I like him a lot, but we need to remember that we have surrounded him with one hell of a recieving corps. From Driver who still has miles left, Jennings, Finely... hard not to have success with that around you. Of course, I think AR is pretty good regardless.

I'll say this: McNabb is a good QB, always has been one. However, he couldn't win the big game his entire career. For all the big games Favre has lost in the last decade, he did get over the hump once. McNabb never was given a fair chance by philly fans, but they are always rough there.

It was a good move for both teams. The fans have been wanting Kolb to start since he played well in two games last year, McNabb is aging and had a year left on the contract, and in all the time they have had McNabb he just couldn't win the big game.

packrulz
04-06-2010, 05:44 AM
Shanny really got screwed on this one, he traded a second round pick in a deep draft, and probably a third rounder in next years draft for a high priced, aging, QB who collapsed in the playoffs last year against Dallas, who wasn't exactly a powerhouse. Plus, Campbell has been improving every year, despite only having Cooley, who had to block a lot, and Moss to throw to.

Fritz
04-06-2010, 06:22 AM

I think it had more to do with how long the team is expecting to have their investment around.

A Kia with 21 miles is worth a lot more than a Porsche with a rusted
out chassis and 300,000 miles (I think!)

:)

That's a good point. The funny part is that the two could possibly play the same number of years from here out. The difference is that McNabb seems ready to commit to a few years whereas Favre does it year by year.

But you're probably right as to why the compensation was what it was.

Bretsky
04-06-2010, 07:05 AM
Shanny really got screwed on this one, he traded a second round pick in a deep draft, and probably a third rounder in next years draft for a high priced, aging, QB who collapsed in the playoffs last year against Dallas, who wasn't exactly a powerhouse. Plus, Campbell has been improving every year, despite only having Cooley, who had to block a lot, and Moss to throw to.

I don't know about that; the draft can still be hit and miss and Shanny got somebody he was comfortabe with on the most important spots on the field. I thought it was fair value for a QB who will probably play around 5 or so more years

Pugger
04-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Bad move -- to a division rival with young and talented skill players.

Could have Favre like impact.

I think it is a nice pickup for the Skins but I doubt Philly thought McNabb will be the final missing piece of the puzzle like #4 was for MN and was the main reason why they could trade DM within the division. Do you think they'd trade McNabb to the Gmen or Dallas if all either of those teams needed was a decent QB to make them instant contenders? :no:

retailguy
04-06-2010, 08:50 AM
I think part of this comes down to the fact that the Raiders didn't want to take a chance on a guy who said he'd retire rather than play for them.

Ron Wolf went in the other direction and traded for some fast tight end guy - some guy named Keith Jackson, I think - who said he'd never play for Green Bay. And Wolf convinced the dude to play for the Pack. And I think that guy did pretty good.

McNabb had said through his agent that he would report and play wherever he was traded.

Bossman641
04-06-2010, 09:40 AM

McNabb had said through his agent that he would report and play wherever he was traded.

Really? Cause I thought I heard he was adamant about not going to the Raiders?

retailguy
04-06-2010, 11:03 AM

He acknowledged that he "didn't have a choice", but "preferred not to go". He was clear in saying he would show up, though.

pbmax
04-06-2010, 12:11 PM

He acknowledged that he "didn't have a choice", but "preferred not to go". He was clear in saying he would show up, though.
Do you have a link? Because two other news guys have him threatening to retire/refuse an extension if he was traded to the Raiders.

Brandon494
04-06-2010, 07:02 PM
He wouldn't have retired but the chance of him resigning with the Raiders were very slim.

The Leaper
04-06-2010, 07:49 PM
The situation in Philly was not all that much different than the one in Green Bay a few years ago. McNabb is a proven veteran, but he has a history of not being able to come up big in title games and was nearing the end of his contract and Philly wasn't high on resigning him. They had a young kid who they were impressed with and thought could have a bright future...and they risked losing him if they held onto their veteran too long.

It is a risky move for the Eagles. If Kolb doesn't pan out, they look foolish and probably will lose their status as annual playoff contenders. McNabb could turn the Redskins into playoff contenders. The NFC East just got a lot more interesting.

Decent move by the Redskins...raid a division rival, probably paid a fair value for McNabb and might even have gotten a slight discount.

Fritz...comparing the Raiders of 2010 and the Packers of 1996 is ridiculous. Ron Wolf could take a chance on Keith Jackson because he knew he had a winner and that Keith eventually would want to join the team because he saw he had a chance to win a title surrounded by great players. On the flip side, the Raiders suck...people don't want to play there because their coach is an abusive asshole who hits people and their owner wears adult diapers and occasionally considers drafting an 8th grader with his first round pick. The Raiders couldn't take a chance because there was no way it was going to work for them.

Fritz
04-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Leap, my intent was not to compare the two teams and their situations. I was just trying to point out that in my opinion, football players will play where they are traded. It's their only way of being able to make the money they do, and it's what they know. Even Ricky Williams came back. Barry Sanders is one of the few who was able to say "the hell with it all."

So I think had McNabb gotten traded to the Raiders he would have gone. He might not have signed an extension, but I don't think he would have just sat it all out.