PDA

View Full Version : 8 million in dead cap space

red
08-01-2006, 10:01 AM
that sucks

i was just looking at this years cap numbers and saw we have around 8 million in dead space (maybe a little more)

javon is counting almost a million, t-murph is counting 1.3 million, and diggs is counting almost 1 million

those are all fine though because that total is much less then what those players would have cost if they remained on the team (well i guess only in diggs case)

it sucks we had to take a cap hit for an asshole that refused to play for us unless we gave him more money, and for a guy whos career was cut way to short by injury

but the big kicker is that hunt will cost us over 3.6 million this year, keep in mind we had to take a 3.2 million dollar hit last year and pay him his entire salary because he was "injured (probably due to him not taking care of his body)" when we cut him for being a fat lazy piece of sh't

so we had to pay 6.8 million over 2 years just to get rid of the guy. and who says contracts and the cba aren't fair to the players?

Partial
08-01-2006, 10:07 AM
That's fine by me. By having that much dead space and not bringing in another big free agent, we are giving our young guys a chance to play in develop. This way they can bring in another free agent next year (DE DE DE DE DE) and improve themselves even more!

RashanGary
08-01-2006, 10:14 AM
This is all a part of that harsh transition from Sherman to Thompson.

bbbffl66
08-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Would you rather have his lazy a** sucking for us this year? I would rather pay him and be done with him.

RashanGary
08-01-2006, 10:20 AM
You're always going to have dead space. Thompson cut them all in one year and now we're paying for it. Next year looks better.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Didn't walker say that he would even pay his salay back to just be traded and be done with the team? Why didn't we make him do that?

KYPack
08-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Didn't walker say that he would even pay his salay back to just be traded and be done with the team? Why didn't we make him do that?

That wouldn't have affected his cap hit one way or the other.

He wouldn't have really done this anyhow, he was just talking shit.

Partial
08-01-2006, 11:41 AM
My guess is Walker doesn't have enough money sitting in the bank to do that anyway

red
08-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Would you rather have his lazy a** sucking for us this year? I would rather pay him and be done with him.

i guess i'm just pissed that its a year later, and that fat ass is still hurting the team

CaliforniaCheez
08-01-2006, 12:12 PM
The money was already spent on signing boni.

The Packers aren't paying the money.
They are limited by the cap rules of accounting of not spending the money.
They are spending money on Sherman, Bates($900K) and others.
Fortunately, last year they ranked 7th in the league in revenue having a good year, and not spending due to dead cap space, they accounted for the expected ex-coaches costs.

Last year they were still taking a cap hit for Joe Johnson and Reynolds.
Next year Roman is only about .175 million and Washington about .178 million.

red
08-01-2006, 12:21 PM
The money was already spent on signing boni.

The Packers aren't paying the money.
They are limited by the cap rules of accounting of not spending the money.
They are spending money on Sherman, Bates($900K) and others.
Fortunately, last year they ranked 7th in the league in revenue having a good year, and not spending due to dead cap space, they accounted for the expected ex-coaches costs.

Last year they were still taking a cap hit for Joe Johnson and Reynolds.
Next year Roman is only about .175 million and Washington about .178 million.

he is hurting the team. and he WAS paid after we cut him

we could have cut him last year and taken a small hit last year and the 3.6 million hit this year. or we could have taken the big hit last year and been off the hook for this year.

but after he was cut he said he couldn't play anywhere else because of a shoulder "injury". of course he was in camp and working just fine before he was cut. because he was injured when he was released the team was forced to pay him his entire salary last year, and take the cap hit, and still had to take the hit for the rest of the signing bonus this year

CaliforniaCheez
08-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Your right on Hunt, Red.

To avoid problems in the future there are fewer signing boni and more roster boni. Look at Hawks contract numbers. The roster bonus counts against the cap in the year paid. If Hawk gets hurt in the future he will not cost as much as if there was a huge signing bonus.

Teams, including the Packers, are getting better at operating under the cap.
Making a mistake in the draft, like Reynolds, hurts for years. Good drafts avoid many problems.

Reynolds did not work out so free agent Joe Johnson was acquired expensively and it lead to Vonnie Holiday being upset that he earned his pay and Johnson did not.

Now substitute the names Carroll, Woodson and Harris and I hope history does not repeat but it is a concern.

Noodle
08-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Um, check me if I'm wrong, but are we even close to spending to our cap limit?

Is there a single FA we didn't sign because of this "dead space"?

Cripes, we overpaid for Charlie Heisman because we had to get to the minimum spending level.

And how is the T Murph deadspace (a guy drafted by TT) and the Walker dead space (a guy lost by TT) in any way attributable to Sherman?

C'mon, there's lots to complain about, but I don't see this as pissing in my lemonade.

Go Pack!