PDA

View Full Version : Mocking The Draft

OS PA
04-07-2010, 03:40 AM
I just posted for the first time in over two years and thought that I might as well get back on the bandwagon with spamming the board. I haven't gotten around to doing my own mock-draft yet. Here are the first five picks. I'll put the rest up as I finish it. Hope it interests some of you.

1. St. Louis Rams – Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
The St. Louis Rams could have the first five picks in the draft and they still might be in contention for the first pick next year. Although they have more holes than a New York Bagel store, the Rams do have a couple of bright spots. Stephen Jackson remains the heart of the offense, Oshiomogho Atogwe is an up and comer at FS, and their offensive line is mediocre, which is a good thing if you’re the St. Louis Rams. They think long and hard here abhout Ndamakong Suh and Gerald McCoy, but their DTs aren’t worse than their QB’s, and picking early in the 2nd round will allow them to draft one of the remaining 2nd tier DTs. Another consideration here is Russel Okung, and although they are willing to trade him, Alex Barron is serviceable and the Rams could afford to keep him for another year while they groom a late round pick to take his place or replace him next year in freeaAgency. The final player the Rams sniffed with this pick was Eric Berry, but they have more pressing needs. Although many think Berry could be the best player in this draft, safety is not an impact position. There is some talk that Bradford and his agent won’t do a deal before the draft, but in an uncapped year, and with a team as desperate as the Rams, they will wait it out and draft their future QB.

Detroit Lions – Ndamakong Suh, DT, Nebraska
The Detroit Lions have made some good moves this offseason. They picked up much needed help on their defensive line and they’ve added another pass-catcher for their young quarterback. Many think that the Rams will look to draft Russell Okung here in order to keep their investment in Matt Stafford upright, but Jim Schwartz knows what a dominant defense can do. In a draft that’s wrought with talented offensive linemen, Schwartz knows that he can get a decent tackle in the 2nd round. So Schwartz looks at his big board and sees a motivated, in shape, hard working Albert Haynesworth clone as his #1.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
The Bucs have built their franchise on a dominant defense. However the defense that dominated the early 2000’s has gotten old, retired, or signed elsewhere. They are lacking the talent that made them a competitor on both sides of the ball, but their offense can wait for the later rounds of the draft. The only member of their defensive line to do anything in 2009 was a man name Stylez, but his 6.5 sacks weren’t anything to write home about. The linebacking core, headed by Barrett Ruud in the middle, was average but young and could show improvement in 2010. Their secondary was the bright spot, but they need to draft an incumbent to Ronde Barber and the Sabbi Piscatelli experiment is just about over. Russell Okung is a name that popped up, but Donald Penn is a solid player and has started 48 games in the past three seasons. The decision comes down to Eric Berry and Gerald McCoy. Berry may be a better SS than McCoy is a DT, but the old adage about winning the games in the trenches forces the Bucs to draft McCoy in this slot.

Washington Redskins – Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
The Donovan McNabb sweepstakes is over and the Redskins came out the winner. The only loser in this trade was Jimmy Clausen who is going to slide down the draft boards like that other over-confident Notre Dame QB(remember him)? The Redskins sputtered in 2009 due to a lack of players at skill positions and erratic quarterback play. Their defense was a top 16 unit, and kept them in a lot of games, but their offense was atrocious. Mike Shanahan has successfully stockpiled the first three picks from the 2005 fantasy football draft, but quantity does not always match quality with running backs nearing their 30s. There is some young talent at WR and Fred Davis could still turn out to be a decent TE, but sadly this draft is not top-heavy in offensive skill positions. The Skins take a few minutes to look over C.J. Spiller’s game tapes, and like him, but don’t want to invest the money or pick in him. Shanahan has built an offense around Clinton Portis in the past, which means he can probably do it again. Russell Okung is very tempting here, he is the best tackle in the draft and could give McNabb enough time to sling the ball, but they don’t pick him. With their influx of running backs and their new quarterback, the Redskins use their pick to fill their biggest hole on defense. With only one strong safety on the depth chart, the Redskins draft Eric Berry to replace the hole left after the tragic death of Sean Taylor.

5. Kansas City Chiefs – Russel Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
The Chiefs traded their second rounder last year for a new quarterback. If they hadn’t they’d be considering Jimmy Clausen with this pick, but Matt Cassel is the future and the Chiefs need to keep him upright. Like all teams in the top ten, they have many holes to fill and could look to draft some needed defensive help here, but the top two DTs are gone and the cornerback tandem of Brandon Carr and Brandon Flowers is not bad. They could use a safety, but Earl Thomas is a bit of a reach here. Dez Bryant and C.J. Spiller are tempting, but both aren’t as much of a need as finding someone to protect Cassel is. The Chiefs are lucky that the top tackle in the draft has dropped this far, and quickly turn their draft card in with Russel Okung’s name on it.

Fritz
04-07-2010, 06:38 AM
Will you have the Raiders drafting a wide receiver?

Brandon494
04-07-2010, 07:51 AM
I doubt the Skins will past Russel Okung, they need OT help bad.

ND72
04-07-2010, 09:28 AM

They were trying to get Chad Clifton so that says a lot....Redskins will definitely take Okung, or any OT as they litterally have like NONE on their roster.

mission
04-07-2010, 10:15 AM

They were trying to get Chad Clifton so that says a lot....Redskins will definitely take Okung, or any OT as they litterally have like NONE on their roster.

I guess they're talking to Flozell Adams right now. Although, even signing him would probably not prevent them from drafting an OT.

OS PA
04-07-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm out of practice! Just looking over the Skins roster, I saw that they had two major needs. I know that everybody is mocking them with an Offensive Tackle, because their line needs help. The Skins need a major overhaul on offense in order to do anything, but by filling in the one gap that they have on defense and banking on the improved offense with McNabb, they can afford to bring up some young guys from the later rounds on Offense.

Shanahan will make it work with those running backs. The talent at OT in this draft is far superior to the talent at SS, and some believe, me included, that Eric Berry is the best player in this draft. So voila, the Skins pass on Okung in favor of Berry. The one downside to this pick is that the Skins only have 4 picks, which means they'll either have to pick up Flozell, like they are thinking about, or they'll have to strike gold with a lineman later in the draft. Look for the Skins to be the first team to heavily consider trading down with this pick and also look for Jason Campbell to be suiting it up for another team and the Skins to replace him with a 4th rounder.

Fritz
04-07-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm out of practice! Just looking over the Skins roster, I saw that they had two major needs. I know that everybody is mocking them with an Offensive Tackle, because their line needs help. The Skins need a major overhaul on offense in order to do anything, but by filling in the one gap that they have on defense and banking on the improved offense with McNabb, they can afford to bring up some young guys from the later rounds on Offense.

Shanahan will make it work with those running backs. The talent at OT in this draft is far superior to the talent at SS, and some believe, me included, that Eric Berry is the best player in this draft. So voila, the Skins pass on Okung in favor of Berry. The one downside to this pick is that the Skins only have 4 picks, which means they'll either have to pick up Flozell, like they are thinking about, or they'll have to strike gold with a lineman later in the draft. Look for the Skins to be the first team to heavily consider trading down with this pick and also look for Jason Campbell to be suiting it up for another team and the Skins to replace him with a 4th rounder.

When I mock the skins, I like to use Jarrett Bush.

Joemailman
04-07-2010, 06:48 PM
With the Redskins not having a 2nd round pick, I think they'll take Okung. If they still had that 2nd round pick, they might have taken Berry and hoped to pick up Saffold or Brown in the 2nd. If Buffalo wants Clausen, there could be an opportunity to trade down.

swede
04-07-2010, 09:17 PM
It's good to see a fellow primate posting, OS PA.

Do you type with your left foot or right?

Fritz
04-08-2010, 07:15 AM
You crack me up, Swede.

But I don't see any references to OS PA being the Pope.