PDA

View Full Version : Trades before draft

packers11
04-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Now that McNabb has been moved, i've created a list of possible people being moved before the draft.

Brandon Marshmellow
Haynesworth
Marshawn Lynch
Marion Barber
Campbell
Adalius Thomas

The only one that I could see a fit for the packers is Adalius Thomas... If we could get him for cheap (6th/7th rounder) i'd def love to bring this guy in... The rest of the guys are probably not even on the packers radar...

Thoughts?

Scott Campbell
04-07-2010, 01:02 PM
There's rumors about the stud CB from Oakland being available. Maybe he's not really available, but that's who I would target. And I'm guessing it would cost plenty.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_14313202?nclick_check=1

Lurker64
04-07-2010, 01:19 PM
There's rumors about the stud CB from Oakland being available. Maybe he's not really available, but that's who I would target. And I'm guessing it would cost plenty.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_14313202?nclick_check=1

Well, not only would it cost plenty but you would be saddled with that ridiculous contract.

For the record, Asomugha's contract is for one year plus a team option for 2011. If the team picks him up for 2011, his salary will be the average of the top five players at any position (so he'll get paid the average of the top 5 quarterbacks, most likely).

Brandon494
04-07-2010, 02:53 PM
We aren't going for any of those players, don't even waste time thinking of trades.

Guiness
04-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Now that McNabb has been moved, i've created a list of possible people being moved before the draft.

Brandon Marshmellow
Haynesworth
Marshawn Lynch
Marion Barber
Campbell
Adalius Thomas

The only one that I could see a fit for the packers is Adalius Thomas... If we could get him for cheap (6th/7th rounder) i'd def love to bring this guy in... The rest of the guys are probably not even on the packers radar...

Thoughts?

Getting rid of Haynesworth after one year? Wow.
I wonder about Campbell - he's getting a little old to be 'groomed' so I guess he's either out of the league, or relegated to being a clipboard holder at this point. Does he have a good head for the game, i.e. be a guy who's helpful to the starter? I don't know.

Lurker64
04-07-2010, 03:04 PM

I think it's because Washington is switching to the 3-4 (in part to take advantage of Orakpo), and Haynesworth has no interest in playing NT. Combine that with "Shanahan wants to take control of the organization", and you get a recipe for getting rid of Albert. Though, since they paid him a $21m bonus recently, he's now only on a 3 year $16m contract, so the team that gets him won't be that much on the hook, if I'm understanding this correctly.

pittstang5
04-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Thought I heard rumors that Adalius Thomas might be cut. If he is cut, he'll be a Jet.

Fritz
04-07-2010, 07:51 PM

I think it's because Washington is switching to the 3-4 (in part to take advantage of Orakpo), and Haynesworth has no interest in playing NT. Combine that with "Shanahan wants to take control of the organization", and you get a recipe for getting rid of Albert. Though, since they paid him a $21m bonus recently, he's now only on a 3 year $16m contract, so the team that gets him won't be that much on the hook, if I'm understanding this correctly.

This made me laugh: the buzz all over Detroit radio by the idiotic element of fanhood was that Detroit should trade for Haynesworth - and in exchange they'd flip flop first round slots with Washington!

Wow. That's right up there with trading Jarrett Bush for a third round pick or something. We all have fantasies, but if you're going to share yours publicly, make it at least remotely close to possible.

ND72
04-07-2010, 09:38 PM
So here's the deal, for like a 6th round pick, I would trade for Campbell. Cappable backup, and McCarthy loves developing QB's who knows, maybe we end up getting a 4th in return down the road.

Here's another "rumor" I've recently heard. Baltimore is supposedly shopping Gaither, their LT for "up to a 2nd round pick"...but could be had for a 3rd if wanted. I don't know if any of you have seen this man, but he is HUGE, young, and has a lot of potential.

mission
04-07-2010, 11:41 PM
So here's the deal, for like a 6th round pick, I would trade for Campbell. Cappable backup, and McCarthy loves developing QB's who knows, maybe we end up getting a 4th in return down the road.

Here's another "rumor" I've recently heard. Baltimore is supposedly shopping Gaither, their LT for "up to a 2nd round pick"...but could be had for a 3rd if wanted. I don't know if any of you have seen this man, but he is HUGE, young, and has a lot of potential.

I'm down with all that, ND... are you saying the first "rumor" is in fact a rumor (not sure that even makes sense but you know) or just something you'd like to see happen?

Fritz
04-08-2010, 06:59 AM
ND, if you pulled off the Gaither trade, what do you do with him the first year? Let him compete with Clifton? Make him sit until or if Clifton gets hurt?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I'm just wondering how that would work. And I'm wondering why, if he's so good, and so young, he could be had for a third or a second round pick. Those guys don't grow on trees. Is there some downside here to the guy?

ND72
04-08-2010, 07:54 AM
ND, if you pulled off the Gaither trade, what do you do with him the first year? Let him compete with Clifton? Make him sit until or if Clifton gets hurt?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I'm just wondering how that would work. And I'm wondering why, if he's so good, and so young, he could be had for a third or a second round pick. Those guys don't grow on trees. Is there some downside here to the guy?

I heard this rumor on espn radio through the day yesterday. As far as why he'd be traded, all they said on ESPN radio was Baltimore wants Oher to play LT, and Gaither isn't a very good RT for whatever reason, and they have another young guy they like for RT.

If this had come out earlier, 2 weekends ago I was at the State Football Clinic in Madison, and John Harbaugh was a keynote speaker, and sat at the table next to me for breakfast, I would have asked! Of course he was sitting with Brad Childress so I'd rather just pissed on his plate....

ThunderDan
04-08-2010, 07:59 AM

This made me laugh: the buzz all over Detroit radio by the idiotic element of fanhood was that Detroit should trade for Haynesworth - and in exchange they'd flip flop first round slots with Washington!

Wow. That's right up there with trading Jarrett Bush for a third round pick or something. We all have fantasies, but if you're going to share yours publicly, make it at least remotely close to possible.

AK and a 2nd rounder for Joe Thomas last year.

jmbarnes101
04-08-2010, 08:09 AM

AK and a 2nd rounder for Joe Thomas last year.

You mean a guy who hadn't gotten hurt and was one of the best DE's in the league along with a 2nd rounder for a LT. Likely not to happen as well as a fantasy but not ridiculous! :?:

KYPack
04-08-2010, 10:45 AM

I heard this rumor on espn radio through the day yesterday. As far as why he'd be traded, all they said on ESPN radio was Baltimore wants Oher to play LT, and Gaither isn't a very good RT for whatever reason, and they have another young guy they like for RT.

If this had come out earlier, 2 weekends ago I was at the State Football Clinic in Madison, and John Harbaugh was a keynote speaker, and sat at the table next to me for breakfast, I would have asked! Of course he was sitting with Brad Childress so I'd rather just pissed on his plate....

Hey, I'm back. I've been lurking, the draft is not really my area of expertise. I come on here to learn most of my draft stuff.

Gaither for a 3rd? Oh yeah, right away. He's quick, strong and huge. He's also a project. The kid just hasn't played very much football. He has a ton of talent, but he's still a work in progress. RDE Antwan Odum of the Bengals (he of 5 sacks against GB) made him look like a fool last year. The kid is like a fast young colt. Lot's of potential, but he can be a very clumsy bugger and get down on himself.

The other thing about him is our staff. I've joined the "is Campen a bum"? club. Do we have the kind of coaches that can mold raw talent? I don't know. That's what Gaither needs, coaching up. Our situation should be good for him. Cliffy, the old pro helping the young LT could be a good deal. Gaither is a good prospect for LT, Oher will be the real deal next year. Balt needs to move the kid and get their OLine solidified. I really don't think we could get a better LT prospect and back-up than Gaither.

Knowing TT, he'll want to wait until Lang becomes a starter at 3 positions.

DonHutson
04-08-2010, 07:15 PM
I firmly believe Campbell was a good player in a ridiculous situation. He deserves another shot somewhere.

Fritz
04-08-2010, 09:17 PM

Hey, I'm back. I've been lurking, the draft is not really my area of expertise. I come on here to learn most of my draft stuff.

Gaither for a 3rd? Oh yeah, right away. He's quick, strong and huge. He's also a project. The kid just hasn't played very much football. He has a ton of talent, but he's still a work in progress. RDE Antwan Odum of the Bengals (he of 5 sacks against GB) made him look like a fool last year. The kid is like a fast young colt. Lot's of potential, but he can be a very clumsy bugger and get down on himself.

The other thing about him is our staff. I've joined the "is Campen a bum"? club. Do we have the kind of coaches that can mold raw talent? I don't know. That's what Gaither needs, coaching up. Our situation should be good for him. Cliffy, the old pro helping the young LT could be a good deal. Gaither is a good prospect for LT, Oher will be the real deal next year. Balt needs to move the kid and get their OLine solidified. I really don't think we could get a better LT prospect and back-up than Gaither.

Knowing TT, he'll want to wait until Lang becomes a starter at 3 positions.

Well, KY, you and ND are a couple of the posters I trust most, so if your perspective on Gaither is correct, then giving up a third - if indeed that's all it would take - for the future left tackle sounds more appealing then spending the first or second round pick on a rook. Plus you'd then have both those picks to nab players at other positions.

LEWCWA
04-09-2010, 12:11 AM
I firmly believe Campbell was a good player in a ridiculous situation. He deserves another shot somewhere.

Campbell is a complete bum. How can anyone still be in this guys corner!

ND72
04-09-2010, 07:59 AM

Campbell is a complete bum. How can anyone still be in this guys corner!

I don't agree with that....Campbell went from being a rookie, to looking pretty good, to being worthless??? Put the guy in the right situation, as in not be switching coaches every other year, and I think he'd be ok.

jmbarnes101
04-09-2010, 10:49 AM
I would be all for trading a 3rd round pick for Gaither and hoping our O-Line staff can turn him into a quality replacement for Chad. It would allow us to go defense, defense, and more defense in the early rounds.

I also believe that Campbell is not quite as bad as people think and that he has been adversely affected by the revolving door at coach and offensive coordinator that has seemingly given him a new system to learn every year. Poor kid never had a chance.

CaliforniaCheez
04-09-2010, 01:29 PM
We aren't going for any of those players, don't even waste time thinking of trades.

That's the right thought.

With so little football news, subjects like this come up.

Think about it though, there are reasons why a team would want to trade each of those players.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-09-2010, 03:02 PM
I would love to see a monster like Gaither step in at LT for the Packers. Question is, how does he fit in to our ZBS? I'd like to defer to ND or one of the other "line experts" on this one. Could a giant like that effectively run-block in our scheme?

Brandon494
04-09-2010, 03:10 PM
My question is why are the Ravens trying to trade Gaithers for only a 3rd round pick? They have to know something we don't know. Remember he suffered that pretty nasty injury last season.

jmbarnes101
04-09-2010, 03:23 PM
I would love to see a monster like Gaither step in at LT for the Packers. Question is, how does he fit in to our ZBS? I'd like to defer to ND or one of the other "line experts" on this one. Could a giant like that effectively run-block in our scheme?

Not that any of the rest of the players on our line can effectively run-block anyways. We should make this trade and switch back to the way our line was when we had Sherman and one of the best running games in the league. Tauscher and Clifton already know how to operate in it, Gaither would be fine and I suspect Sitton and Lang would be okay as well. Spitz may even improve in that scenario.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-09-2010, 03:42 PM

Not that any of the rest of the players on our line can effectively run-block anyways. We should make this trade and switch back to the way our line was when we had Sherman and one of the best running games in the league. Tauscher and Clifton already know how to operate in it, Gaither would be fine and I suspect Sitton and Lang would be okay as well. Spitz may even improve in that scenario.

Ryan Grant was 7th in rushing with 1250+ yards. As a team I wouldn't say we couldn't block, we finished 14th, one spot behind the Vikings. However, we did avg. 4.3 yds a rush. That's good enough for about 10th best.

One could theorize that our running game only appeared less successful because our passing game was one of the best in the league. The line is also extremely young at the guard position and depth. We could be poised to be one of the best in the league again if we can solve our aging tackle problem.

Lurker64
04-09-2010, 03:55 PM

The interior OL isn't that bad at run blocking, and the guys on the edge can't run-block not because of scheme, but because of age. No scheme can make a guy with bum knees a dominating run-blocker. It's not as though we run a pure finesse zone scheme, anyway, we run a power zone scheme (like a lot of teams in the league: Houston, Carolina, Oakland, Washington pre-Shanahan). Every team runs at least some zone (Minnesota uses it quite heavily, for example). The basic difference is that in zone-blocking you are assigned an area and you block whichever defenders you see in your area, while in man-blocking you're assigned to a specific player or position (e.g. OT blocks down on the 3-tech, guard pulls to kick out the DE, and the TE attacks the play-side LB). The advantage of the zone blocking is that the offense is prepared for anything the defense might do, and the running back (since he doesn't have an assigned hole) can capitalize on any mistakes the defense might make (e.g. overpursuit). The advantage of man-blocking is that if everybody executes their block and the defense doesn't surprise you, you get a big run pretty much every time. The weakness of man-blocking is that the right blitz can really ruin your day, and the weakness of zone-blocking is that pretty much if the defense beats the double team, they win.

Ultimately the run game will get better when we get some young competent guys on the outside. Ultimately in zone blocking you really only have four plays: inside zone left/right and outside zone left/right. When your OTs can't run block that effectively, you lose half of your plays. The best run scheme, however, is one that mixes zone blocking and man blocking, and I believe that's ultimately what we've been doing, while retaining primary emphasis on zone blocking.

The problem with the running game, however, is not the scheme. The scheme is just fine, and with zone runs (unlike say, U-71 runs) the defense cannot simply beat it consistently with the right pressure package. The reason we switched away from Sherman's blocking scheme was largely that it just wasn't working any more. McCarthy, as well as any offensive coach around, understands that the key to successful offense is keeping the defense off balance.

packers11
04-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Did not see this happening at all... (Santonio Holmes)

Does this mean Steelers are in play for a receiver ? Trade / FA/ Draft?
T.O.?
Marshall?

mission
04-12-2010, 11:43 AM
PFT has had articles for a few weeks now about Gaither and comments from Harbaugh about how he needs to step up his off season work and how he has the "potential" to be great if he applies himself etc...

This "oh now we know why Gaither is on the block" talk recently is no surprise. It's been widely documented that the guy just cannot get motivated.

jmbarnes101
04-12-2010, 02:07 PM

The interior OL isn't that bad at run blocking, and the guys on the edge can't run-block not because of scheme, but because of age. No scheme can make a guy with bum knees a dominating run-blocker. It's not as though we run a pure finesse zone scheme, anyway, we run a power zone scheme (like a lot of teams in the league: Houston, Carolina, Oakland, Washington pre-Shanahan). Every team runs at least some zone (Minnesota uses it quite heavily, for example). The basic difference is that in zone-blocking you are assigned an area and you block whichever defenders you see in your area, while in man-blocking you're assigned to a specific player or position (e.g. OT blocks down on the 3-tech, guard pulls to kick out the DE, and the TE attacks the play-side LB). The advantage of the zone blocking is that the offense is prepared for anything the defense might do, and the running back (since he doesn't have an assigned hole) can capitalize on any mistakes the defense might make (e.g. overpursuit). The advantage of man-blocking is that if everybody executes their block and the defense doesn't surprise you, you get a big run pretty much every time. The weakness of man-blocking is that the right blitz can really ruin your day, and the weakness of zone-blocking is that pretty much if the defense beats the double team, they win.

Ultimately the run game will get better when we get some young competent guys on the outside. Ultimately in zone blocking you really only have four plays: inside zone left/right and outside zone left/right. When your OTs can't run block that effectively, you lose half of your plays. The best run scheme, however, is one that mixes zone blocking and man blocking, and I believe that's ultimately what we've been doing, while retaining primary emphasis on zone blocking.

The problem with the running game, however, is not the scheme. The scheme is just fine, and with zone runs (unlike say, U-71 runs) the defense cannot simply beat it consistently with the right pressure package. The reason we switched away from Sherman's blocking scheme was largely that it just wasn't working any more. McCarthy, as well as any offensive coach around, understands that the key to successful offense is keeping the defense off balance.

I actually agree with both of you to some extent and maybe the reason I see our run game as just mediocre is because of the tackles. Clifton has never been much of a run blocker and Tauscher is getting old. I like Grant more than most even if he can't catch as well as I'd like, but I don't see us winning a game with just our running game like some teams can do or like we could do when Green and Davenport were running wild. Whatever the reason, I'd like to see that improve. Beyond that, I'm just not a fan of the zone-blocking system that we've employed though that's probably more on our coaches inability to do anything than the system itself.

RashanGary
04-12-2010, 03:39 PM
I hear from sources Santonio Holmes may be moved for a pick between the 3rd and 5th rounds.

Pittsburgh has dealt with some drama lately. They are looking to move one of their trouble pieces

- Joe Arrigo

Oh, it already happened, I just got that from my sources.

packers11
04-13-2010, 11:51 AM
I hear from sources Santonio Holmes may be moved for a pick between the 3rd and 5th rounds.

Pittsburgh has dealt with some drama lately. They are looking to move one of their trouble pieces

- Joe Arrigo

Oh, it already happened, I just got that from my sources.

:lol: that is some funny stuff

packers11
04-14-2010, 11:55 AM
MARSHALL TO THE DOLPHINS!

www.rotoworld.com

The Dolphins have agreed to acquire Brandon Marshall from the Broncos in exchange for a 2010 second-round pick and what is believed to be a 2011 second-rounder, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The deal will become official when Marshall passes a physical. The Dolphins will also sign Marshall to the lucrative, long-term contract he's wanted (and earned on the field), while the Broncos get two premium selections to build with. The Fins' second-rounder this year is No. 43 overall, which is nearly as good as a first-round pick in a draft that includes at least 50 players with top-32 grades. Marshall's skills will travel well, and his fantasy value should not be significantly altered in Miami. His loss is a crushing blow to Kyle Orton's outlook.

packers11
04-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Ted Ginn to the 49ers for 5th round pick

Freak Out
04-16-2010, 12:53 PM

Damn....wasn't he a top ten pick?

mngolf19
04-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Ben R to....... might me coming soon. Gotta do it before the draft. Maybe the Raiders go for it.

red
04-16-2010, 02:04 PM

yup, #9 i think

i would say that qualifies as a bust

Guiness
04-16-2010, 02:08 PM

9th overall.

Certainly his value is nowhere near that, but I would've thought it to be higher than a 5th? A good returner, 3rd or 4th WR and no off field problems I remember hearing about. I can't see his contract being onerous either. I would've thought his value to be a bit higher.

Guiness
04-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Browns looking at top overall pick? They've apparently contacted St-Louis about it.

An excerpt from a sportsline article

Cleveland would likely have to part with a pair of first-round picks -- this year's and next's -- plus one or two more high-round picks to satisfy the Rams,

Price seems high, as Cleveland has the #9 pick.

MadScientist
04-16-2010, 02:27 PM

yup, #9 i think

i would say that qualifies as a bust
Yep and a lot of Miami fans were pissed from day 1 with that pick.
Of course they really wanted Brady Quinn :roll:

Bossman641
04-16-2010, 02:41 PM

9th overall.

Certainly his value is nowhere near that, but I would've thought it to be higher than a 5th? A good returner, 3rd or 4th WR and no off field problems I remember hearing about. I can't see his contract being onerous either. I would've thought his value to be a bit higher.

Ginn is a guy that I would have liked TT to take a chance on - for the return ability alone.

red
04-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Browns looking at top overall pick? They've apparently contacted St-Louis about it.

An excerpt from a sportsline article

Cleveland would likely have to part with a pair of first-round picks -- this year's and next's -- plus one or two more high-round picks to satisfy the Rams,

Price seems high, as Cleveland has the #9 pick.

cleveland has the 7th pick

IMO, they should stay right where they are and be happy as a pig in shit when the best player in the draft falls in their lap (eric berry)

Guiness
04-16-2010, 07:56 PM
oops, my mixing the numbers. Ted Ginn was taken with the 9th pick. Cleveland has the 7th pick.

packrulz
04-19-2010, 05:17 AM
Posted on: April 17, 2010 10:38 am
Edited on: April 17, 2010 10:40 am
Multiple teams talking trade
Many have speculated that the alteration in the the NFL draft schedule is going to lead to more trades than before.

According to sources throughout the league, the St. Louis Rams (owners of the first pick), Seattle Seahawks (6, 14) Cleveland Browns (7), Denver Broncos (11), Miami Dolphins (12), New England Patriots (22), Philadelphia Eagles (24) and Dallas Cowboys (27) are all actively exploring trade opportunities.

The Cleveland Browns have been one of the more aggressive teams, speaking with the Rams about moving up to get Sam Bradford with the first overall pick, but also exploring dropping down, as well.

The Seahawks would like to add a pick between their second first (14) and their only second rounder (60th overall). Their recent mini camp proved they have significant holes to fill on both sides of the ball.

Denver has wide receiver Dez Bryant and center Maurkice Pouncey high on their board. They will consider Bryant at 11, but if he's off the board, they'd like to drop down a few spots and still get Pouncey.

Miami would like to recoup the second round pick they lost in the trade for Brandon Marshall and feel that the player they're likely to get at No. 12 won't be significantly better than one they might get in the lower teens or twenties. With their need for a playmaking wide receiver filled, look for the Dolphins to add a front seven defender.

The Patriots already own three second round picks, but Bill Belichick believes the second round is where the values lies in this draft.

It has been reported (originally by Sports Illustrated's Peter King) that the Eagles were aggressively looking to move up. I have been able to confirm this, but counter to King's story, which has Philadelphia looking to move up for either Eric Berry or Earl Thomas at safety, I'm told a different player is the Eagles' real target. Middle linebacker Rolando McClain, given the team's need for a thumper inside and the significant drop-off at the position after McClain, would seem a likely candidate.

Dallas is also exploring aggressive trade-up options. Owner Jerry Jones loves Dez Bryant and will consider moving into the late teens should the Oklahoma State receiver fall to that point.

The first round of the 2010 draft is shaping up to be every bit the drama-filled event the NFL had hoped in moving it to primetime Thursday night.

packers11
04-19-2010, 11:31 AM
www.rotoworld.com

Lions acquired TE Tony Scheffler and a 2010 seventh-round pick from the Broncos in a three-team trade that also sent LB Ernie Sims to the Eagles in exchange for a 2010 fifth-round pick.

:shock:

packers11
04-19-2010, 03:42 PM
www.rotoworld.com

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports that Saints LT Jammal Brown is on the trading block.

Appearing on NFL Network's Around the League program Monday, Jason La Canfora reported that a trade of Albert Haynesworth on or before draft weekend is "very likely."

packers11
04-19-2010, 03:42 PM
The Giants will reportedly be willing to shop Osi Umenyiora on draft day if they select Jason Pierre-Paul with the 15th overall pick.

Bretsky
04-19-2010, 08:43 PM
IF Green Bay is trying to trade up as reported IMO it's for the Iowa OT

pbmax
04-19-2010, 10:34 PM
IF Green Bay is trying to trade up as reported IMO it's for the Iowa OT
Why him?

Guiness
04-20-2010, 12:54 AM
www.rotoworld.com

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports that Saints LT Jammal Brown is on the trading block.

Appearing on NFL Network's Around the League program Monday, Jason La Canfora reported that a trade of Albert Haynesworth on or before draft weekend is "very likely."

Would love to see what the final tally the Haynesworth experiment.

I'd have to think this is going to cost them a ton if they get rid of him after one season - I'm sure there was a massive signing bonus there.

packers11
04-20-2010, 11:34 AM
www.rotoworld.com

The Jets have reportedly put LG Alan Faneca, DE Shaun Ellis, and OLB Bryan Thomas on the trade block.

The Cowboys have reportedly put DE Marcus Spears, LB Bobby Carpenter, S Pat Watkins, G/C Cory Procter, and WR Sam Hurd on the trade block.

packers11
04-20-2010, 03:14 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Redskins acquired DT Adam Carriker from the Rams for an exchange of fifth-round picks.

red
04-20-2010, 03:26 PM
wow, teams are getting rid of some very high former draft picks for next to nothing these days

Guiness
04-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Well, the Rams are almost as inept as Detroit.

No reason to give up on Carriker at this point. He's young yet, and could develop into a solid player. Remember that we also got Pickett away from them, after they decided he wasn't going to pan out.