PDA

View Full Version : NFC: Rags To Riches

Joemailman
04-11-2010, 08:01 AM
During the last 5 years, at least 1 NFC team each year has made the playoffs immediately following a year in which they had a losing record.

The NFC teams who had losing records last year were:
Washington (4-12), Chicago (7-9), Detroit (2-14), Tampa Bay (3-13), Seattle (5-11), St Louis (1-15).

The teams that did it, with their previous year's record in parentheses are:

2009: Green Bay (6-10)
2008: Carolina (7-9), Atlanta (4-12)
2007: Tampa Bay (4-12), Washington (5-11)
2006: New Orleans (3-13), Philadelphia (6-10)
2005: New York Giants (6-10), Chicago (5-11), Carolina (7-9), Washington (6-10), Tampa Bay (5-11)

Which NFC team which had a losing record in 2009 will make the playoffs in 2010?

Joemailman
04-11-2010, 08:05 AM
I think the Bears have the best shot. They won 7 games last year despite playing the season without Urlacher, and Cutler throwing 26 INT's. If those 2 players bounce back, they should be respectable.

LP
04-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Skins. Of course this hinges on whether or not Danny can keep his hands out of things. But, proven coach, proven quarterback, decent defense, and actual football people running things should make a big difference.

Brandon494
04-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Skins have to be the choice, they just got added a future hall of fame coach and QB plus Larry Johnson and Willie Parker.

Joemailman
04-11-2010, 09:36 AM
My only question with Washington is whether they'll have some growing pains. Teams with a new coach often struggle the first half of the year. I could see them finishing strong and just missing the playoffs.

jmbarnes101
04-11-2010, 09:45 AM
The history of the NFL tells us that all of these teams have a chance based on 3rd & 4th place schedules and people looking past them with the heat off. I look at it as which team has a chance based on the division they are in since they'll be competing most directly with them.

Bears & Lions - Need to compete with Packers & Vikings - unless Favre decides to retire or something happens to Aaron neither of those two teams yet have the overall talent needed to compete. OUT & OUT!

Tampa Bay - Need to go through the Superbowl champion Saints who've improved their team and the Falcons will rebound this year. Tampa may keep pace with and surpass the Panthers. OUT!

Washington - Plays in one of the most competitive divisions in football with all four teams capable of making the playoffs. It doesn't matter who the coach is though and what they look like on paper the offensive line in Washington is not good. In fact it's really, really bad. Put some old mediocre running backs and an injury prone QB behind that mess and all I have to say is good luck. OUT!

Seattle & Rams - The team that won the division just lost is potential HOF QB, stud WR, and two valuable defensive players. Leinart has shown nothing to make me think he can be a #1 QB in this league and the 49ers still aren't all that great. I don't think St. Louis has enough to get it done yet which leaves us with one team. If the draft falls right the Seahawks could land two valuable pieces especially if it's an OT & Spiller. If Hasselbeck can stay upright and the defense can overcome a particularly bad year this team has a shot at winning the division and making the playoffs.
Rams OUT! Seahawks IN!

RashanGary
04-11-2010, 09:45 AM
I would guess Chicago, but I also know they're going to be in a brutally tough division. Green Bay and Minnesota look to be NFC powerhouses. Detroit is finally in good hands and it can turn around fast with two seasons of good decision making and some coaching stability.

pbmax
04-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Skins have to be the choice, they just got added a future hall of fame coach and QB plus Larry Johnson and Willie Parker.
None of those guys (save McNabb) made the playoffs with their last teams and then they were jettisoned. And McNabb played horribly at the end of the season and in the playoffs. Shanahan might still have it, but Johnson doesn't and Parker is not a difference maker.

The irony is that folks who are talking up the Redskins point to McNabb as the reason for confidence. But when you point out his late game and playoff failings, they explain he won't be asked to do it all for the run focused Shanahan. Maybe. But the Skins had trouble rushing with Portis last year and I don't think Shanahan is going to get the O line rebuilt in a year.

The Bears are much closer to playoff talent, though they are a black box on offense right now. Who knows what its going to look like with Cutler and Martz? And they have an O line issue as well.

CaliforniaCheez
04-13-2010, 09:33 PM
The Bears had a lot of injuries to their defense last season.

They have the best chance. Besides that there is always a playoff team that falls apart and misses the playoffs. The viklings seem perfect for that role.

MJZiggy
04-13-2010, 09:43 PM

They have the best chance. Besides that there is always a playoff team that falls apart and misses the playoffs. The viklings seem perfect for that role.

Don't tease me like that.

mngolf19
04-14-2010, 12:42 PM

Hardly, Cards are perfect for that. Which is why Seattle has a great chance to make playoffs this year. Cards lost alot this offseason.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-14-2010, 03:41 PM
The history of the NFL tells us that all of these teams have a chance based on 3rd & 4th place schedules and people looking past them with the heat off. I look at it as which team has a chance based on the division they are in since they'll be competing most directly with them.

Bears & Lions - Need to compete with Packers & Vikings - unless Favre decides to retire or something happens to Aaron neither of those two teams yet have the overall talent needed to compete. OUT & OUT!

Tampa Bay - Need to go through the Superbowl champion Saints who've improved their team and the Falcons will rebound this year. Tampa may keep pace with and surpass the Panthers. OUT!

Washington - Plays in one of the most competitive divisions in football with all four teams capable of making the playoffs. It doesn't matter who the coach is though and what they look like on paper the offensive line in Washington is not good. In fact it's really, really bad. Put some old mediocre running backs and an injury prone QB behind that mess and all I have to say is good luck. OUT!

Seattle & Rams - The team that won the division just lost is potential HOF QB, stud WR, and two valuable defensive players. Leinart has shown nothing to make me think he can be a #1 QB in this league and the 49ers still aren't all that great. I don't think St. Louis has enough to get it done yet which leaves us with one team. If the draft falls right the Seahawks could land two valuable pieces especially if it's an OT & Spiller. If Hasselbeck can stay upright and the defense can overcome a particularly bad year this team has a shot at winning the division and making the playoffs.
Rams OUT! Seahawks IN!

Great post. Exactly the reason why I voted for Seattle.