PDA

View Full Version : Which player would you most want?

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Eight writers for USA Today did mock drafts. No player appears more than twice as a selection for the Pack. Only one, Anthony Davis, appeared more than once. Of the seven players that are listed, which would you most like the Packers to select?

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2010, 12:31 PM
My thoughts: I think our need for a future starter at CB is almost as big as the need at OT, and I like the two corners listed more than the two OTs. Thus, Wilson and McCourty would be my top choices. Of the two, I'm not sure who I like. My gut said Wilson because he's slightly higher ranked by most, but then I read a scouting report on McCourty. It sounds like he's clearly better in run support. I'd normally not think anything of it, but I think that's more important than it has been in the past because of the new scheme. I'm going to stick with Wilson, but I can be swayed. Anybody have any thoughts on Wilson vs. McCourty?

Also, most of the mocks have Brandon Graham selected just ahead of us. I know that is a guy that a lot of people like for our scheme.

Freak Out
04-13-2010, 12:36 PM
I voted Wilson but if we end up going with an OT I'd go the USC guy Brown from all the things I've read. The guard sounds like a savage though....

red
04-13-2010, 12:46 PM
of those listed i would say klye wilson or iupati

i don't think there's a chance in hell that TT pick anthony davis with all his character concerns and red flags

with campbell and davis you're looking at drafting the 5th or 6th best tackle in the draft. i'd rather draft the top guard then the 5th or 6th best tackle

i don't see us drafting a d-lineman in the first round at all, not with raji, pickett, jolly, and jenkins already on the roster

its only been in the last few days that i've seen any mention of mccourty as a 1st round pick, i have no idea where this come from. everything i've seen and read has him as around a 2nd or 3rd rounder

get louder at lambeau
04-13-2010, 12:55 PM
I picked Iupati. Sounds like a "can't miss" type of a player, even though I don't think he really fills a need that much. If anything he allows more flexibility in moving Lang or Colledge to RT.

Lurker64
04-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Dan Williams? WTF. What's the reasoning behind that pick? Don't we already have enough NTs on the roster with Pickett, Raji, and Toribio?

vince
04-13-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm pulling for Brown/Worilds/CB or Hughes/Veldheer/CB early in the draft.

Of course that means we'll go Safety in the first.

vince
04-13-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm also hoping for 2 tackles to be selected that can allow Lang to move inside where he can excel. He can play tackle, but he's only serviceable there. I think he can be a much better guard than tackle.

Trade Colledge for a ham sandwich and have Spitz or Wells/EDS backup the interior spots. It's asking a lot for 2 rooks to backup the tackle positions on this team, knowing the history of our vet OT's, but if TT can find 2 that can do it - that'd be ideal in my mind.

Lurker64
04-13-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm pulling for Brown/Worilds/CB or Hughes/Veldheer/CB early in the draft.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking. Who do you like among day 2 CBs? I'm pretty high on Spievey and I think he'll be there in round 3.

vince
04-13-2010, 03:54 PM
You're up to snuff far more than I on the corners Lurk, but I have seen a lot of Spievey and I do agree that he'd be very good in this defense. He played almost exclusively in zone at Iowa and while his only question might be his 40-time (not sure what he ran at the combine or pro day), I can say with confidence that he's a player. He's stout in run support and was rarely beat this past year.

swede
04-13-2010, 04:13 PM
In the first three picks of this draft I think I'd like an OLB, a DB, and an OT and I'd prefer that order.

Gunakor
04-14-2010, 01:44 AM
I'm also hoping for 2 tackles to be selected that can allow Lang to move inside where he can excel. He can play tackle, but he's only serviceable there. I think he can be a much better guard than tackle.

Trade Colledge for a ham sandwich and have Spitz or Wells/EDS backup the interior spots. It's asking a lot for 2 rooks to backup the tackle positions on this team, knowing the history of our vet OT's, but if TT can find 2 that can do it - that'd be ideal in my mind.

I think Lang could excel at tackle. He'll probably be better as a tackle than as a guard, so long as he gets his practice reps at tackle. It's the position he has the most experience playing, so I'd have to assume that's the position that comes most naturally to him. I also think Iupati is gonna be a monster at guard, far better than Lang will be. Steve Hutchinson good, and at a very reasonable cost for at least the first 5 years. I'd have no problem with Iupati being picked at #23. No problem at all.

If Wells isn't the starting center then I hope he doesn't make the team at all. He's a horrible guard, and would be a wasted roster spot to backup at center only. If he's not gonna be the starter then they're better off trying to draft someone like Pouncey in the first, and keep Spitz on the roster to back up the interior positions with Lang as the primary backup at OT. Gotta keep Colledge though. Unless you're sure Spitz is going to be better at LG than Colledge - which hasn't been proven. For all the grief Colledge gets from us fans, he's actually been very serviceable at guard.

Tarlam!
04-14-2010, 02:37 AM
I voted Iupati and I love the idea of picking up a beast of a guard like him, although my dream would be to get Pouncy this year and his bro next year.

I know Wells is solid at Center, but Pouncy started out at Guard. Indeed, his twin played Guard last season as is being moved to Center for his senior season.

Get Colledge and his ego off of the roster.

Gunakor
04-14-2010, 03:30 AM
Welcome back Tarlam!

The reason you have to keep Colledge on the roster is because you don't know for sure if you have 3 better guards than him. Maybe he isn't the starter, and certainly you don't guarantee a starting job to him, but in getting rid of him you might be dumping your best backup on the interior line. He stunk as a tackle last season, but he's been alright as a starting guard for 2 seasons now. That alone should be enough to earn a roster spot this season, even if it's as a backup. Worst case is he sits on the bench for the 2010 season and then leaves via FA next year on his own. No real reason to dump him now.

Fritz
04-14-2010, 07:07 AM
I chose Brown. It sounds like he's got all the tools and just needs a year to pump up and grow up. If he could sit this year behind Clifton - and myabe even next if Clifton can stay healthy - he could be a fine left tackle in the NFL.

So I chose Brown.

Joemailman
04-14-2010, 07:21 AM
Picking at #23, I like Wilson. Brown is someone I would like if we trade down. Iupati is interesting, but I think Guards can be found later.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-14-2010, 03:48 PM
I've had this weird feeling lately that Ted ends up drafting Taylor Mays. I'm not really sure how I feel about it either.

pbmax
04-14-2010, 05:32 PM
I choose Brown, but would take Iupati without compliant. For selfish reasons, I hope the character problems with Davis are inflated due to pre-draft maneuvering and that he is either available and trustworthy OR someone else takes him and leaves us with our next/preferred choice.

We need CBs, but we need OLB more. If there is a pass rusher among those OLBs who will be left for us, that would be my first choice.

RashanGary
04-14-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm going Kyle Wilson for three reasons, actually four:

1. Kyle Wilson was a shut down corner in college, is extremely athletic and has no real character concerns.

2. We really need a good young corner back there other than Tramon Williams

3. Wilson is a great returner

4. I can't stand Will Blackmon

Lurker64
04-14-2010, 05:57 PM
I really don't buy the love for Iupati. I think we'd be much better off drafting enough tackles that we could move Lang to LG permanently (where he has the chance to be very, very good) rather than drafting a guard and hoping Lang can take care of one of the tackle spots (where he has the chance to be serviceable).

Even if we have to keep Lang backing up one of the T spots, we have a keeper in Sitton at the RG spot and we have Colledge, Spitz, Lang, and EDS to compete for the LG spot.

DonHutson
04-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Jerry Hughes. He just seems like a Ted pick, and they can't rely solely on Matthews to put pressure on the QB. Down the stretch it seemed like if Matthews didn't make a play, nobody would.

I, too, wouldn't be surprised by Taylor Mays. Wouldn't bother me at all. He might not fit all defenses, but I think he'd work fine for us. He's not a great cover guy? Neither is Bigby, but they seem to like Bigby because he's physical. Well Mays is at least as physical if not more so, and bigger, faster, and probably smarter as well.

Factor in how much trouble the D had when Bigby was hurt, AND how often Bigby has been hurt the past two years, and Mays starts to look like a pretty good pick.

Either guy addresses a rather large ? on D.

My dark horse pick would be the RB from Fresno State. All these OL are too soft, lazy, or green - other than Bulaga, I don't see any of them as being Ted type picks.