PDA

View Full Version : Eric Decker???

Tony Oday
04-14-2010, 12:19 AM
Anyone want to see him in Green and Gold? 6-3 220 with good hands and can run routes.

packrulz
04-14-2010, 05:14 AM
Anyone want to see him in Green and Gold? 6-3 220 with good hands and can run routes.
Overview
A two-sport standout, Decker has been compared by professional scouts to former NFL greats Don Maynard of the Jets and Raymond Berry of the Baltimore Colts for his outstanding hands, route-running ability and fearlessness going for the ball in a crowd. He's also an excellent blocker with a team-first attitude.

Few receivers boast the Velcro-like hands Decker possesses. Minnesota quarterbacks have targeted him for 354 passes during his career and he dropped just three in 45 games (0.085%). But, it is his ability to get to the simply impossible throws and what he does once he gets the ball in his hands that separate him from the rest of the pack.

The school's first athlete to catch more than 200 passes in a career (227), his receptions rank sixth in Big Ten Conference history. He produced first downs on 70.48% of his receptions (160-of-227), with 22.03% of those grabs converting third-down plays (50). When the Gophers need to move the chains, they know they can always rely upon their star player, as 55.51% of his catches were good for at least 10 yards (126), including 25.99% of his receptions gaining 20 or more yards (59).

Decker was the first player in school history to gain over 3,000 yards receiving, his total of 3,119 yards rank eighth in Big Ten Conference history, as he is just the 11th league performer to amass over 3,000 yards. That yardage total accounted for 42.77% of the team's total (7,292) since Decker moved into the starting lineup for the Gophers.

Blessed with great athletic ability, Decker is the type of receiver that can punish a defender, rather than receive punishment. He astounds coaches and teammates from the way he instantly bounces back from bone-jarring hits, evident by his recent performance early in the 2009 California game.

Decker made a sensational touchdown catch, only to take a shot from an opponent who led with his helmet, resulting in Decker getting stitches under his chin. He refused to leave the game. Prior to the injury, he had one catch for four yards. By the end of the game, his totals were eight receptions for 119 yards and two scores.

Decker caught at least one pass in 34 consecutive games (tied Tutu Atwell for second on the school record chart), produced 10 100-yard receiving performances, including four in his first five 2009 contests and caught at least 10 passes in four games.

Decker is the school's all-time leading receiver with 227 grabs, but also holds the top two spots on their season-record list, hauling in 67 passes as a sophomore, only to break that mark with 84 receptions in 2008. His thirteen catches vs. Indiana in 2008 set the school game-record and his twelve grabs vs. Florida Atlantic that year rank third. He is the only player in school annals to have caught more than ten passes in a game four times in a career. His twelve 100-yard receiving games also established a Gophers record.

Decker's 3,119 yards receiving placed him first on the Gophers' career-record list. He is one of only four Minnesota players to gain over 1,000 yards in a season, as his 1,074 yards in 2008 is the second-highest total in school history. His 180 yards vs. Indiana in 2008 rank third on the team's game-record chart, with his 183 yards in the 2009 season opener vs. Syracuse ranking seventh on that list.

Those 183 yards, coupled with his 149 yards vs. Kansas in the 2008 Insight Bowl gave Decker a consecutive game total of 332 yards. The only player to gain more yardage in back-to-back games for the Gophers was Ron Johnson's 340 total (163 at Ohio State and 177 at Indiana in 2000).

If those numbers were not enough to convince professional teams of his receiving pedigree, Decker has also contributed in other ways to the recent success of the team. He is a punishing ballcarrier, having averaged 7.6 yards with one touchdown (also set up five other scoring drives) on just 15 rushing attempts for 114 yards. He has filled in as an emergency punt returner, averaging 7.0 yards in that capacity.

Decker has also performed as a defensive back, on the punt coverage team and also showed impressive tackling ability chasing down opposing defenders after they had picked off a Minnesota pass. He has ten solo tackles with one stop for a 2-yard loss, two fumble recoveries and a pair of pass deflections to add to his resume.

The multi-talented athlete has averaged 13.26 yards each time he has touched the ball on the football field for Minnesota. He also played a vital role on the school's baseball team. As a sophomore, he batted .329 with 42 runs, three home runs, 28 runs batted in, nine stolen bases and boasted a .439 on-base percentage.

Decker was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft, becoming just the third Gopher to play football and be drafted in baseball since 1966. As a junior, he hit four home runs with 25 runs batted in, finishing with a .319 batting average and a .381 on-base percentage, as he was again drafted, this time by Minnesota in the 2009 selection process.

Showing off his all-around athletic ability is commonplace for Decker. At Rocori High School, he starred in football, baseball and basketball, in addition to excelling in the class-room, earning All-State Academic Team and National Honor Society recognition. On the gridiron, he was named to Super Prep's All-Midwest team, as that recruiting service rated him the 14th-best receiver in the country.

The Prep Star All-Midwest Region pick added All-State first-team honors from the Associated Press in each of his final two seasons. He was also a two-time All-Central Lakes League, All-Conference, All-Area and All-Section choice. The two-time team MVP snatched 62 passes for 1,017 yards and fifteen touchdowns, as he was one of just two players to gain over 1,000 receiving yards in the state on Minnesota in 2004.

Decker closed out his football career with 2,156 yards and 28 touchdowns receiving for head coach Rick Thiesen. He added to his trophy case by capturing All-Conference, All-Area and All-Section accolades in both baseball (as an outfielder) and basketball.

In 2005, Decker enrolled at the University of Minnesota, spending the campaign performing on the scout team. The following season, he played in all 13 games, starting twice as a slot receiver for the Gophers. He was named to the Big Ten Conference Academic Team, along with receiving school academic honors. He also added Freshman All-Big Ten honors (Gridiron Report), as he participated in 480 plays. He finished fourth on the team with 26 receptions for 378 yards (14.5-yard average) and three touchdowns. He also rushed once for five yards, completed an option pass vs. Purdue for 22 yards and delivered seven solo tackles, including one for a loss (on the punt coverage team) while also recovering a fumble.

As a sophomore, Decker took over split end duties, as the Academic All-Big Ten selection was also named the winner of the Bruce Smith Award, given to the team's outstanding offensive player. He set the school season-record with 67 receptions, ranking fifth in the league with an average of 5.58 catches per game. His 909 yards receiving placed fifth on the school season-record chart and his average of 75.75 yards per game was good for fourth in the Big Ten.

Decker's nine touchdown catches were the third-best season total by a Gopher. He also carried three times for 22 yards (7.3-yard average), returned four punts for 28 yards and threw a 20-yard pass for a touchdown while adding three solo tackles and a fumble recovery.

Decker was a CoSIDA Academic All-District, Academic All-Big Ten and first-team All-Conference selection in 2008. He was named third-team All-American by The NFL Draft Report and honorable mention by Sports Illustrated. He started twelve games at split end, sitting out the Wisconsin contest with a high ankle sprain. He went on to break his own school record by hauling in 84 passes, as his 1,074 yards gained rank second on the UM annual record chart. He also scored on seven of those grabs.

Decker added 87 yards and a touchdown on 11 carries (7.9-yard average) in 2008. He also saw some action on defense, breaking up the final two pass attempts in the Northern Illinois clash. Hobbled the last three games by his ankle sprain, he underwent left knee surgery after the regular season. He returned to pull down eight passes for 149 yards and a touch-down vs. Kansas in the Insight Bowl.

A consensus All-American and All-Big Ten Conference first-team preseason selection, Decker got off to a good start as a senior before suffering a foot injury in the eighth game vs. Ohio State that would require surgery, thus ending his career four games shy of the conclusion of the 2009 campaign. At the time of his injury, he was leading the league and ranked 15th in the nation with an average of 94.75 yards receiving per game.

Decker also ranked fourth in the Big Ten with an average of 6.25 receptions per game. In eight contests, he totaled 50 catches for 758 yards (15.16-yard average) and five touchdowns. He also showed off his throwing ability once again, firing off a 7-yard scoring strike right after he was cut on his chin in the California clash.

Analysis
Release: Very good quickness off the line even with his height and strong build. Gets to top speed fast but doesn't have a breakaway gear. Beats the jam using his hands and a sidestep. Recognizes holes in the defense, and looks for the ball immediately.

Hands: Excellent hands, extending them outside his body. Looks the ball in and doesn't let go under pressure. Good concentration in traffic; has the size and vertical to win jump balls. Brings in poorly thrown passes anywhere in his vicinity. Tracks the ball over both shoulders.

Route running: Lines up in the slot and on the sideline; runs all of the routes on the tree. Creates separation with his hands and speed down the sideline, providing nice target. Aware of the first down marker. Understands the offense very well. Works to get free if quarterback is in trouble. Inconsistent planting and driving on out routes.

After the catch: Has enough elusiveness and agility to be used on slip screens at 6-3, 215 pounds. Can stop quickly to let oncoming defenders fly by. Tightropes the sideline on deep patterns. Runs through arm tackles, but doesn't give out hits to smaller defensive backs to get additional yardage.

Blocking: Improved his blocking during his senior year, using his size to negate smaller cornerbacks on the edge. Instead of trying to cut his man or allowing corners to disengage early, as he did in previous seasons, Decker sought out contact and looked willing to sustain so running backs have room to roam when bouncing outside.

Intangibles: Natural athlete with good work habits. Played through high ankle sprain as much as possible last fall, and worked hard to return from knee surgery for bowl game following his junior season. Respected in the locker room.

NFL Comparison: Jordy Nelson, Packers

The Packers have other needs, like LT and OLB, but if he's still there in the third round I could see taking him. Hell, he can even play nickleback.

Tarlam!
04-14-2010, 05:34 AM
Well, since he played for my Alma Mater, I'd love to see him in G&G.

Fritz
04-14-2010, 07:03 AM
Is he fast enough to play in the NFL?

I don't know much about him, frankly.

Joemailman
04-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Decent player, but I just don't see what he brings to the table that the Packers don't already have. I think any WR the Packers draft this year either has to be a burner or a kick returner. Preferably both.

green_bowl_packer
04-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Mayock said yesterday on Path to the Draft that Decker would be a second round pick purely on game tape alone he's that good, no 40 time, no combine. He's coming off the Lisc Franc? foot surgery too. Which is huge, so if he's willing to take him that high coming off that - I'd take him too.

If they are worried about replacing Driver there's the rumor of Brandon Marshall (doesn't matter just went to Miami) or Dez Bryant dropping to us. Why not Aurielous Benn, he had a great 2008, 2009 wasn't so good but the whole team stunk especially the QB, Juice Williams. He's great run after the catch - Anquan Boldin type (or do we have that with Nelson/Jones? probably)

I think as a team we are 2-3 guys away, like any other draft dreamer I'll take as many Street and Smith guys as we can get. I don't really see WR as a real need, as long we get the OT, LB, and S - getting a stud WR is a luxury.

If this draft is so deep, I'd like us to focus on trading up grabbing fewer quality players out of this draft, then walk away with the typical TT 12.

Tony Oday
04-14-2010, 10:04 AM
I could see TT using a 3rd on him if he drops because of injury concerns for no other reason than TT does what is unexpected. Decker was a stud recieving this year even though he was the only threat on the team. Like the size. Runs about a 4.5 40 so isnt going to run out of the building but is a polished route running guy.

mission
04-14-2010, 10:31 AM
I don't think any team should have more than one white WR...

8-)

Tony Oday
04-14-2010, 10:44 AM

8-)

:duel: touche'

ND72
04-15-2010, 09:25 AM

8-)

We have 2, Jordy Nelson & Brett Swain.

mission
04-15-2010, 10:17 AM

8-)

We have 2, Jordy Nelson & Brett Swain.

Like I said...

HarveyWallbangers
04-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Jordy happens to be one of the reasons we have one of the best receiving corps in the league. I liked what I saw out of Swain last year. He improved a lot. Could be a good slot receiver. Just hope he fully recovers from his injury.

mission
04-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Jordy happens to be one of the reasons we have one of the best receiving corps in the league. I liked what I saw out of Swain last year. He improved a lot. Could be a good slot receiver. Just hope he fully recovers from his injury.

Well he is one of our five receivers so that makes sense.

Swain is nothing special... I'd be shocked/shocked/shocked if we didn't take a WR or a McCluster type guy in this year's draft to get our WR depth back to a legitimate five. The future of the NFL is spread sets... Swain is JAG.

Tarlam!
04-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Swain is nothing special... Swain is JAG.

A lot of people (well, some people) were high on Ruvell Martin's potential for a while. You know, mission, the guy Swain beat out for the 5th spot last year? The kid must have something of an upside; 6'4" receivers aren't a dime a dozen and Martin was Rodgers' "go to guy".

The only other explaination is that TT is racist.

FWIW, Martin was picked up by Seattle on March 15th after being waived by the Rams.

mission
04-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Swain is nothing special... Swain is JAG.

A lot of people (well, some people) were high on Ruvell Martin's potential for a while. You know, mission, the guy Swain beat out for the 5th spot last year? The kid must have something of an upside; 6'4" receivers aren't a dime a dozen and Martin was Rodgers' "go to guy".

The only other explaination is that TT is racist.

FWIW, Martin was picked up by Seattle on March 15th after being waived by the Rams.

Ruvell was AR's "guy" because Jennings and Driver were Favre's "guys"... when you're riding pine behind the man, you're going to be spending a lot of time with the #5 WR.

Swain beat out Martin because he'd already reached his potential and was going to be nothing more. Swain times fast and was much more helpful on special teams, which was an admitted factor in roster selection last year. Over the course of the season, he never really stuck out to me as a liability but he also didn't really make any catches. Ruvell even had more impact than Swain did offensively.

It's the 20-70-10 vitality curve in organizational leadership (jack welch). You have your top 20% who are your creators and they get what they want ($$ etc); you have your 70% who are your core group and they get to have a job (security); you have your 10% that are constantly being evaluated for replacement (and they know this).

Not saying the guy won't step it up, but he's hardly even close to a lock to make the team next year. We're trying to go from a first-round playoff team to a Super Bowl champ. The margins get narrower and the opportunities less...

Tarlam!
04-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Martin was Rodgers' guy. It's irrelevant as to why. Providing your franchise QB with maximum comfort level wouldn't seem to be a non issue. Swain beat him out, and you claim it was due to ST's mission.

I tend to believe Swain has more upside. His size doesn't grab me for ST play and I haven't read anything to suggest he's a demon on ST. His bio is extremely thin: http://www.packers.com/team/players/swain_brett/ with no mention of his ST duties.

Yet he beat out Martin. He must have something going for him, because Ruvell wasn't too bad. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruvell_Martin

Doesn't really matter. TT will doubtlessly bring in some camp bodies at the position and Swain, Jordy and JJ all need to beat the newbs for a spot on the team.

mission
04-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Martin was Rodgers' guy. It's irrelevant as to why. Providing your franchise QB with maximum comfort level wouldn't seem to be a non issue. Swain beat him out, and you claim it was due to ST's mission.

I tend to believe Swain has more upside. His size doesn't grab me for ST play and I haven't read anything to suggest he's a demon on ST. His bio is extremely thin: http://www.packers.com/team/players/swain_brett/ with no mention of his ST duties.

Yet he beat out Martin. He must have something going for him, because Ruvell wasn't too bad. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruvell_Martin

Doesn't really matter. TT will doubtlessly bring in some camp bodies at the position and Swain, Jordy and JJ all need to beat the newbs for a spot on the team.

It's not irrelevant why. You brought up that Martin was AR's guy as if to support the notion that Martin was decent talent hand-picked by AR and that since Swain beat him out, he's therefor better than even the guy AR picked. I was dispelling that with an explanation of why that should not serve as a barometer for Martin's talent. The guy couldn't even stick with the team with the worst record in the league. Come on!

As for Swain, I never said he was a demon on ST, I said they kept him for ST purposes. He was on multiple special teams units.

So there's nothing to write home about his ST play yet that was the tiebreaker between him and Ruvell.

Brett Swain in 2009: 0 catches, 0 yards, 0 TDs
Ruvell Martin in 2008: 15 catches, 149 yards, 1 TD

How anyone in their right might could find a way to defend a guy with no production (literally) is beyond my way of thinking.

Maybe he's a nice guy, maybe he works really hard. I don't know. But our #5 WR position production dropped off a ton last year. The addition of Finley or not, 0 catches is 0 catches. Even i didn't think it was that bad.

Let's get real: we're trying to get better here, not rationalize the existence of some feel-good stories on the bottom of the roster.

Tarlam!
04-15-2010, 03:48 PM
I am being real. Your claim that Swain is a JAG isn't supported by the evidence available. You're probably right, though. It's just that TT kept him on, didn't he?

I don't know why your seemingly getting heated over this. Swain doesn't need defending. He made the roster. I'm not defending Swain, just pointing out that he beat out Martin.

You stated:

Swain times fast and was much more helpful on special teams, which was an admitted factor in roster selection last year.

There is little evidence to support this. On the other hand, Martin was the 3rd string QB in lieau of not having 3 full time QBs on the roster.

sharpe1027
04-15-2010, 04:10 PM
"Other than noting that the decision to go with Brett Swain over Ruvell Martin at the fifth receiver spot came down to special-teams contributions and was one of the most painful moments of the weekend "

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2009/09/06/1/

Swain 40 time: 4.41

I couldn't find Ruvell's exact time but I'm pretty sure he was a 4.6 guy. The knock on him was always his speed.

Swain (barely) made the roster because of his special teams play. Until proven otherwise he's JAG.

sharpe1027
04-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Decker was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft, becoming just the third Gopher to play football and be drafted in baseball since 1966. As a junior, he hit four home runs with 25 runs batted in, finishing with a .319 batting average and a .381 on-base percentage, as he was again drafted, this time by Minnesota in the 2009 selection process.

Only if he agrees to play for both the Brewers and the Packers, and if he learns how to pitch.

mission
04-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Thank you for the research, Sharpe... :)

And there's nothing any more factual than him having 0 catches... not sure how that's not supporting my JAG claim.

I really wasn't even expecting a response TBH. :)

Lurker64
04-15-2010, 04:26 PM
I really don't want to spend a high pick (before the 5th round) on a WR or a TE. We're pretty set at those positions. Sure, Swain may be nothing special... but he's the fifth string WR and probably like the 7th or 8th priority target in the passing game (he may or may not be ahead of Havner). Anybody we draft is going to have trouble breaking into the top 3 receiving targets, and the 4th spot is already crowded enough.

mission
04-15-2010, 04:32 PM
I really don't want to spend a high pick (before the 5th round) on a WR or a TE. We're pretty set at those positions. Sure, Swain may be nothing special... but he's the fifth string WR and probably like the 7th or 8th priority target in the passing game (he may or may not be ahead of Havner). Anybody we draft is going to have trouble breaking into the top 3 receiving targets, and the 4th spot is already crowded enough.

Havner is definitely ahead of Swain. He caught some passes this year, there's no question.

Swain didn't even see the field (offensively) did he?

And I agree about where to grab a WR... I'm not saying this is a huge priority, but I'd like to see a slash type of player take this last roster spot.

Tarlam!
04-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Swain (barely) made the roster because of his special teams play. Until proven otherwise he's JAG.

I don't know how you can confidntly make a claim that he "barely" made the roster, unless you know someone down at 1265 personally. If you don't your speculataing.

I couldn't find any ST reference on Swain, maybe you can help me there.

So far nobody has provided evidence he's JAG. On the contrary, he garnered a valuable roster spot. The Pack lost Meredith and Brohm, because Swain was on the roster.

Now, maybe both those guys turn out to be JAGs, but rohm was a #2 rounder and most people were high on Meredith.

Martin was ditched in favour of Swain.

TT's decision keeping Swain provides evidence that Swain is viewed as more than JAG. Just because mission and sharpe1027 have the opinion doesn't make it a fact in my book.

Joemailman
04-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Thank you for the research, Sharpe... :)

And there's nothing any more factual than him having 0 catches... not sure how that's not supporting my JAG claim.

I really wasn't even expecting a response TBH. :)

There's nothing more factual than noting that Ruvell was waived by the Chargers his first 2 years of training camp. It takes some guys a while to emerge.

sharpe1027
04-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Of course it is not a "fact." But you can't just say that because my opinion is not 100% iron-clad no two ways about it, there isn't evidence to support it. I gave you about as much evidence as you will ever get in this type of situation.

A quote from the packers press that came directly from TT said releasing Martin was one of the hardest things TT has had to do and that it came down to special teams play of Swain. I think its is very reasonable to conclude from that the decision to cut Martin can down to him or Swain and it was the toughest one of the year. Thus, there's plenty of evidence to say that Swain barely made the roster instead of Martin because of his special teams potential.

If your point is simply that "maybe" he will not be a JAG in the future, fine. Can anyone ever provide an analysis of a player without being corrected on the off-chance that the player might improve in the future? Maybe, I'm going to make the Packer's squad this year and be more than a JAG too, and I just haven't realized my potential because I haven't put on football pads anytime in recent memory. You can't prove 100% that I won't. :wink:

How about this: Swain's play last year was that of JAG. He did very little and mainly held a roster spot while playing some special teams. Nobody knows what he will do in the future.

sharpe1027
04-15-2010, 05:18 PM
TT's decision keeping Swain provides evidence that Swain is viewed as more than JAG.

Tarlam!, can you name some guys on the Packers roster that really are JAG. I'd be willing to be that I can find the same type of evidence you have for Swain for just about any of them.

Bretsky
04-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Martin stunk......JAG...Just a guy...without offering any special teams help.

TT saw more upside with Swain and he saw a guy he thought could help with specials. I don't ever remember Ruvell helping there much. I remember Ruvell showing us one or two plays a year that looked good and then disappearing. His talent will be nothing we miss. He's a guy you try to replace and take a flyer on somebody you think might have more upside.

I have not seen Swain enough to have much of a view on him. But Martin needed to replaced with a guy with a better upside to become better....

P.S.......my apologies to Ballhawk in advance

Lurker64
04-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Swain didn't even see the field (offensively) did he?

He saw the field offensively against Detroit in week six, but not in any of the other five games before he got injured.

Bossman641
04-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Martin stunk......JAG...Just a guy...without offering any special teams help.

TT saw more upside with Swain and he saw a guy he thought could help with specials. I don't ever remember Ruvell helping there much. I remember Ruvell showing us one or two plays a year that looked good and then disappearing. His talent will be nothing we miss. He's a guy you try to replace and take a flyer on somebody you think might have more upside.
I have not seen Swain enough to have much of a view on him. But Martin needed to replaced with a guy with a better upside to become better....
P.S.......my apologies to Ballhawk in advance

Partial would really take offense to this. :)

i wish partial were back, and Tyrone too.