PDA

View Full Version : TEMPTATIONS TO AVOID

Bretsky
04-17-2010, 11:59 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/schein-9-temptations-to-avoid-in-draft

go ahead and add your own players to the list or comment on those on here

Maxie the Taxi
04-17-2010, 12:34 PM
OKUNG -- I would not spend a 1st round pick on Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State. Too many question marks. Details here: http://seahawksdraft.blogspot.com/2010/01/russell-okung-ot-oklahoma-state.html

MAYS -- Ditto for Taylor Mays, S, So. Cal. I just don't get the attraction. His measurables are up there, but from all I've read he just doesn't seem to have good football instincts.

GRIFFEN -- Ditto for Everson Griffen, DE, USC. Too much of a boom/bust scenario. Guy has "motor" issues.

DUCASSE -- Ditto for Vladimir Ducasse, OT, Massachusetts. Most scouts report him being an olf and an over-rated olf at that.

OT's -- Ditto for all the OT's in this draft. I just don't think the 1st round depth is there as much as mainstream people do. None could step in and offer immediate help. Too much potential for big bust.

Lurker64
04-17-2010, 02:33 PM
OT's -- Ditto for all the OT's in this draft. I just don't think the 1st round depth is there as much as mainstream people do. None could step in and offer immediate help. Too much potential for big bust.

Actually, I disagree. If you look at the guys who are considered "first round" OTs by the major draftniks, I agree. Brown, Davis, and Campbell are too raw and we don't have the OL coaches to fix that. Bulaga probably will be gone, but could play immediately on the right side if available, though you wonder about his health. Okung? Gone, decent at everything an OT does but not great at anything, whoever takes him will be reaching.

On the other hand, if TT "reaches" for an OT, it should be for Roger Saffold (who most people have as a high second, but I'd be okay with him in the first). Started 40 games in college, good work ethic, good technique, good balance, agile enough to keep speed rushers off the corner, better college player than Brown, Davis, Campbell, and Ducasse. Wouldn't necessarily supplant Clifton immediately, though he's a hell of a lot better run blocker than Cliffy, but he'd be in the mix at LT, LG, and RT. Could help immediately.

Brandon494
04-17-2010, 03:01 PM
OKUNG -- I would not spend a 1st round pick on Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State. Too many question marks. Details here: http://seahawksdraft.blogspot.com/2010/01/russell-okung-ot-oklahoma-state.html

MAYS -- Ditto for Taylor Mays, S, So. Cal. I just don't get the attraction. His measurables are up there, but from all I've read he just doesn't seem to have good football instincts.

GRIFFEN -- Ditto for Everson Griffen, DE, USC. Too much of a boom/bust scenario. Guy has "motor" issues.

DUCASSE -- Ditto for Vladimir Ducasse, OT, Massachusetts. Most scouts report him being an olf and an over-rated olf at that.

I don't care what that seahawk blog says Okung is a top 5 talent.

People are making too big of deal about Taylor Mays lack of coverage skills. If you draft him as your FS then yes I would be alittle concerned but he would play SS for us and there is no doubt in my mind that Capers would make this guy a star in our defense.

Everett I agree is a boom or bust pick but the pontenial is definately there. I could see him going late in the first round to a team looking for a pass rusher.

Mazzin
04-17-2010, 03:10 PM
4 picks in college in 4 yrs for Mays, IS A CONCERN but look after ONE WEEK of nfl training, he gets a pick in the senior bowl.

Maxie the Taxi
04-17-2010, 03:16 PM
I just don't like spending a 1st round pick on the guys mentioned, or any OT. Too much of a risk. Other guys are available at #23 that could help immediately and really fill a need: guys like Kindle, Hughes, Pouncey, Weatherspoon...hell, even a running back like Best.

OT is a need and I think TT could get in trouble focusing too much on need and not enough on the best available.

Best is arguably the most explosive player available in the draft.

Kindle is arguably the best outside pass rusher.

Even if these guys don't live up to clippings, they'll still contribute immediately in a significant way, barring injury.

As for Pouncey, even if doesn't make All-Pro his first year, he'll probably make it 10 out of the next 12. I'll take that anyday over a possible bust and/or possible starter in three years at OT. :)

highlander
04-17-2010, 04:07 PM
4 picks in college in 4 yrs for Mays, IS A CONCERN but look after ONE WEEK of nfl training, he gets a pick in the senior bowl.
I still believe this is the Packers pick.. In fact he is not overrated he is getting blasted by most mock draft hacks.. I think the Packers are hoping the draft plays out with Mays available. they either take him or they find a partner to trade that spot.

pbmax
04-17-2010, 04:24 PM
People are making too big of deal about Taylor Mays lack of coverage skills. If you draft him as your FS then yes I would be alittle concerned but he would play SS for us and there is no doubt in my mind that Capers would make this guy a star in our defense.
Even Polamalu, at SS in the Steeler defense, must cover people. See KYPack's description of his sideline to sideline coverage disguising ability. And he must do it quickly, with less of a look at the entire play than he would have if he was deep.

If they must hide May's coverage ability, he might need to be a FS like Ryan Clark, where he keeps receivers in front of him, make hits over the middle and then supports deep.

Bretsky
04-17-2010, 05:19 PM
I tell you one thing

I have a LOT more confidence in our defensive coaches to develop somebody like Mays than I do our OL coaches to develop a raw or lazy OT

I'd be elated if we nab an outstanding pass rusher with the first pick
I'm also OK with Mays or Wilson there

Maxie the Taxi
04-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Say Mays turns out to be a stud, which is less than likely, is SS that much of a need compared to elsewhere on the defense? Especially considering what Mays can bring to the table his first year?

Then, again, maybe he's another Adrian Wilson. I just don't know. Maybe someone out there does. I keep getting visions of Aaron Rouse in my head when Taylor Mays is mentioned. Maybe that's my problem, trying to separate the hype from the fact.

Bretsky
04-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Say Mays turns out to be a stud, which is less than likely, is SS that much of a need compared to elsewhere on the defense? Especially considering what Mays can bring to the table his first year?

Then, again, maybe he's another Adrian Wilson. I just don't know. Maybe someone out there does. I keep getting visions of Aaron Rouse in my head when Taylor Mays is mentioned. Maybe that's my problem, trying to separate the hype from the fact.

I just think Mays has way more talent that Rouse. Similar weakness maybe but the tools are much better

Remember Thomas Davis out of Georgia ?

That is who Travis Mays reminds me of. If TT drafts him I'm going to have the blind faith that Capers thinks he can utilize him as a weapon.

Maxie the Taxi
04-17-2010, 05:31 PM

I just think Mays has way more talent that Rouse. Similar weakness maybe but the tools are much better

Remember Thomas Davis out of Georgia ?

That is who Travis Mays reminds me of. If TT drafts him I'm going to have the blind faith that Capers thinks he can utilize him as a weapon.

I keep thinking Javier Arenas out of Alabama will follow in the footsteps of Leroy Butler. (Yeah, I know, "dreaming" is probably a better word than "thinking." But, hey, I like the kid.) Butler was a CB in college, but converted to a SS. He had a nose for the ball and could blitz with the best of them.

Arenas is too small and slow to be a top notch NFL CB, but he has a terrific nose for the ball, can hit with a wallop and is probably the best blitzing DB in the draft.

I'd draft him in the later rounds and hope for the best. By the way, he's a great punt returner too.

pittstang5
04-17-2010, 07:51 PM
I tell you one thing

I have a LOT more confidence in our defensive coaches to develop somebody like Mays than I do our OL coaches to develop a raw or lazy OT

AMEN!

Before I started to do some intense research on him, I really liked Bruce Campbell. I thought he'd be a nice addition to the Pack - I still think he's going to be a solid, if not an elite LT - just not right away. But I have no faith in the Packers O-line Coaching staff. I wish McCarthy would get his head out of his rear and find someone who'd had more experience running the ZBS.

Tarlam!
04-17-2010, 10:45 PM
I keep thinking Javier Arenas out of Alabama will follow in the footsteps of Leroy Butler....I'd draft him in the later rounds and hope for the best. By the way, he's a great punt returner too.

Like the guy after reading up on him. Projected as a third round pick, though.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1137469?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

DonHutson
04-18-2010, 08:29 AM

I would say SS is one of the two big needs on D, with another pass rusher being the other.

Bigby is good when he plays, but he's missed a ton of games or played hurt over the past two years. And when he's out the results tended to be very problematic.

Be it Mays, or somebody else, they need to find another starting caliber guy at that position.

DonHutson
04-18-2010, 08:32 AM

Truer words were never spoken. Campen can't develop guys who actually want to play.

ND72
04-18-2010, 08:32 AM

Yes, SS is a need, because Bigby is that damn bad.

pbmax
04-18-2010, 08:46 AM
I tell you one thing

I'd be elated if we nab an outstanding pass rusher with the first pick
I'm also OK with Mays or Wilson there
Who did they develop last year in the back end that you were impressed with? They taught the scheme well to the vets, but the same people who underperformed before, underperformed or got injured again: Bush, Blackmon, Lee.

A scheme switch and developing talent are two different things. I was very impressed with the former. Not sure about the latter yet.

MJZiggy
04-18-2010, 08:50 AM
Getting back to the thread title, as a general rule, I do try to avoid heroin, sex with men of dubious character (that eliminates all you bums, he he), and chocolate ice cream by the quart (by the pint is another story). I will be happy when the draft is done and we can go back to talking about people who are actually on our team.

pbmax
04-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Speaking of O Line coaching, the Cincinnati Bengals coach (Paul Alexander) who KY mentioned for kudos last year just performed on the piano in a concert at the U of Cincinnati. Its a good story. Campen and Fontenot should get signed up.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100418/ENT03/4180313/0/SPT02/Bengals-coach-performs-at-CCM

Fritz
04-18-2010, 09:40 AM
I don't think Brown of USC belongs on that list of prospects-to-pass-on.

And the trouble with not drafting a LT who needs development because you don't trust the o-line coaches is that then you have no offensive left tackle. Really, which prospect doesn't need coaching up? They all do.

I agree about Mays. He scares me. But I don't know much, so if TT drafts him I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best, and if the guy doesn't pan out, I'll act like I knew it all along even though I've only seen the dude play a couple of times...