PDA

View Full Version : NEW MOCK

Bretsky
04-17-2010, 09:16 PM
This guy is picking alll the players I like so had to post it

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/380186-2010-green-bay-packers-mock-draft

With the 2010 NFL draft fast approaching, April 22nd, the Packers are in need of help at offensive tackle, outside linebacker, safety, running back, kick returner, and punter. I don't mention cornerback because I believe even at his advanced age Al Harris will come back strong from the torn acl he suffered during the 2009 season eager to prove the naysayers wrong. Also returning from injurycornerbacks Will Blackman and Pat Lee should significantly improve the Packer'sdepth at cornerback.

Improving the pass rush with the addition of a big time outside linebacker will reap benefits for the secondary as will providing competition for Atari Bigby at safety. GM Ted Thompson needs to find an heir apparent to aging left tackle Chad Clifton, who can no longer be depended upon for an entire season. He would also be wise to come away with a dynamic kick returner who can play from scrimmage whether it be a receiver, cornerback, or running back. The Packers could use a running back with the ability to legitimately backup Ryan Grant taking some of the load off his shoulders as Ahman Green did successfully during the second half of the 2009 season. Finally, Thompson needs to draft a punter to compete for the job with Australian rules football player, who's never played American football, Chris Bryan.

Round 1 Pick # 23 The Green Bay Packers Select...

Outside Linebacker TCU Jerry Hughes 6-2 255 4.65

Hughes fills the Packers biggest need a LOLB to start opposite 2009 rookie standout Clay Matthews III. Although Hughes played defensive end in college so did CM3 and their times at the combine were comparable. CM3 ran the forty in 4.62, Hughes 4.65. Hughes ran the short shuttle in 4.15 and the three cone drill in 6.99 and CM3 ran them in 4.18 and 6.90 respectively. If Hughes who had 26.5 sacks the past two seasons at TCU can adjust to the 3-4 linebacker spot the Packers will have a tremendous set of bookend pass rushers for their defense. Among the encouraging signs that he can make the transition are his superb athleticism and the two interceptions he posted during the 2008 season. One of which he returned 24 yards for a touchdown against SMU.

Round 2 Pick # 56 The Green Bay Packer Select...

Running Back Auburn Ben Tate 5-11 220 4.34

Tate ran for 3,321 yards during his career at Auburn putting him fifth on their all-time list. He is a very tough inside runner who enjoys contact, in fact he projects to be very similar to former Packer Ahman Green at the next level. Tate demonstrated more speed than some expected him to have running the forty in just 4.34 seconds. He will provide the Packers with a legitimate backup to starter Ryan Grant. He is also capable in pass protection and catching the ball out of the backfield so he should push Brandon Jackson for the 3rd down back role. His open field speed will add an extra dimension to the Packers screen game.

Round 3 Pick # 86 The Green Bay Packers Select...

Safety Florida Major Wright 6-0 206 4.44

Wright is a very intriguing safety prospect possessing the speed of a cornerback he should be much better in coverage than incumbent starter Atari Bigby. He was sometimes asked to cover a receiver in the slot in nickel situations for the Gators. He is a hard hitting prospect that has the ability to play either strong or free safety in the NFL. Although he played free safety at Florida his best position may be strong safety. He would immediately be the primary backup to both Collins and Bigby perhaps pushing Bigby for the starting job especially if Bigby once again misses time due to injury.

Round 4 Pick # 122 The Green Bay Packers Select...

Offensive Tackle Abilene Christian Tony Washington 6-6 311 5.09

Washington has the size the Packers are looking for in a left tackle for their zone blocking scheme. Even though he played at little known Abilene Christian his skills translate well to the NFL game. He is big strong and agile running the short shuttle in 4.84 seconds and the three cone drill in 7.52 seconds displaying plenty of mobility to be a starting left tackle in the NFL. He will become Chad Clifton's heir apparent and primary backup from day one. With a year or two working on his technique and learning the nuances of the NFL game Washington should develop into a solid starter.

Round 5 Pick # 154 The Green Bay Packers Select...

Outside Linebacker Wisconsin O'Brien Schofield 6-2 221 4.63

Schofield suffered a torn acl during senior bowl practices, had he not he would have been a second or third round pick. Due to the injury the Packers get a steal in the 5th round Schofield may not be ready to go by the beginning of the season and could be a candidate for the physically unable to perform list meaning the Packers would have until the 6th game of the season to place him on the 53 man roster, release him, or put him on injured reserve. In his two seasons as a starter Schofield had 17 sacks and 33 TFL displaying promising natural pass rushing ability. If he can add some weight he could push for a spot in the linebacker rotation providing excellent depth on the outside for Green Bay.

Round 5 Pick # 169 The Green Bay Packers Select...

Wide Receiver Southern Methodist Emmanuel Sanders 5-11 186 4.40

Sanders is a bit undersized for a wide receiver in coach Mike McCarthy's version of the west coast offense. However his explosiveve play making ability with the ball in his hands makes him to good a value for Thompson to pass up at this point in the draft. Sanders will be the Packers fifth receiver possibly getting on the field from scrimmage out of the slot. And, he will surely make an impact right away on special teams, likely winning the job returning kicks in training camp. Sanders has the athletic ability to be a great returner in the NFL. He posted a 39.5 inch vertical leap, ran the forty in 4.40 seconds showing good explosiveness in the first 10 yards, 1.49 seconds. His short shuttle and three cone drill times were also excellent at 4.10 and 6.64 seconds respectively showing he possess great quickness along with straight line speed. He finished his college career as SMU's all time leader in catches, yards, and touchdown receptions.

Round 6 Pick # 193 The Green Bay Packers Select...

Punter Michigan Zoltan Mesko 6-5 240 4.79
Mesko is the best punter available in the 2010 NFL draft. The Packers have a hole at punter having released Jeremy Kapinos who held the job in 2009. During his senior season Mesko posted fantastic numbers for a punter. He averaged 44.5 per punt, had 18 punts result in fair catches, landed 5 punts inside the 20 yard line and had just 3 touchbacks. Playing in Michigan in college Mesko has already proven to be a competent cold weather punter. Furthermore his size and speed could make him a valuable performer on the coverage unit and area in which the packers struggled in 2009.

Round 7 Pick # 230 The Green Bay Packers Select...

Fullback Kent State Jameson Konz 6-4 234 4.41

Konz is a very intriguing prospect because of his combination of size and out of this world athletic ability. In addition to running a 4.41 second forty at his pro day Konz also posted a 46 inch vertical leap. His short shuttle time of 4.25 seconds and his three cone drill time of 6.93 seconds are great for a man of his size. I've listed Konz as a fullback as I believe that is the position at which he can make the Packers 53 man roster the easiest. He could also be developed as a tight end or outside linebacker prospect. In my eyes 2009 rookie Quinn Johnson will assume starting fullback job while either Korey Hall or John Kuhn will be cut. Konz becomes the third fullback and an instant standout on the coverage units while he develops as a position player.

Conclusion:

If the Packers can acquire these eight players during the 2010 NFL Draft, GM Ted Thompson will have put coach Mike McCarthy in the best position to win personnel wise since his tenure began in 2005. This draft would yield 3 immediate starters at positions of need for the Packers. Jerry Hughes would likely win the starting left outside linebacker spot opposite Clay Matthews III providing the Packers with two of best pass rushing 3-4 outside linebackers in the NFL. Zoltan Mesko would almost certainly become the Packers punter for 2010 and beyond and WR Emmanuel Sanders would assume the starting kick and punt return duties. Additionally the Packers likely would have landed two future starters in OT Tony Washington and S Major Wright who would be just an injury away from the starting role as primary backups to often injured starters Chad Clifton and Atari Bigby. Further, Ben Tate would likely develop into a starter replacing Ryan Grant after a season or two as Grant's contract numbers will become a problem.

The Shadow
04-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Hughes would be fine, but don't like a running back in the 2nd. I'd rather get the Hillsdale offensive tackle.

Bretsky
04-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Yes, I'm not sure TT would take the back there either...but he's a talent..so it would not surprise me

pbmax
04-17-2010, 09:37 PM
I don't think Schofield is going to be drafted. He will have had no minicamps nor any training camp. He will not be ready to play as a rookie. He will need to be on IR.

The injury occurred on January 25th, if he had immediate surgery and an immaculate comeback, he would be ready to play football at the end of September. Then three to four more weeks on PUP working with the team (PUP is six weeks inactive and 2 weeks to make a roster move I think). Not enough after half the season has passed him by.

Bretsky
04-17-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm guessing late 6th to 7th

I think a GM should pick him in round 7 so he doesn't sign with somebody else

He's got plenty of talent

Lurker64
04-17-2010, 10:09 PM
I think a 2 is too high for Tate, I'm surprised that there's no CB on the board, I think there's no way that we'll draft another fullback (3 FBs last year was an anomaly).

That being said, I think Hughes, Schofield, Washington, Wright, and Mesko are pretty good picks.

The one thing, though, is that would Thompson really try to pass off a registered sex offender as "Packer People" or could we finally be done with that cliche?

pbmax
04-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Actually. Schofield might be cleared to practice in September if his recovery is a quick 8 months. If its the now standard 9, then that puts him into October. His has said he will be on the field for the last minicamp (not practicing, but running in June) and cleared for part of training camp, but remember that every injured NFL player is ahead of schedule and will return early. Because their pain tolerance is more extraordinary than other, weaker football players. Its always been this way.

red
04-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Hughes would be fine, but don't like a running back in the 2nd. I'd rather get the Hillsdale offensive tackle.

exactly, i also want veldheer in the second

RashanGary
04-17-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm with everyone here, don't love the 2nd round pick, but the rest of this draft, I'd take it.

Hughes, its tough for us to guess whether or not he'll be able to stand up, but worst case, you have yourself a hell of a situational pass rusher. I like our chances to get after the QB with Matthews and Hughes as our edge rushers.

Tarlam!
04-17-2010, 11:58 PM
I still want Pouncey in the first. He's an 8 year pro bowler waiting to happen. And, it is said he can play guard. Him or Iupati, please.

I am also on the Veldheer bandwagon for the second. That means the OT in the 4th becomes a CB.

TT takes a QB in the 7th.

packrulz
04-18-2010, 05:57 AM
I like Ben Tate in the second round, I think he'll be a pro bowl back. I think Schofield will be drafted, otherwise teams run the risk of losing him as an undrafted free agent. Adlewye Ogunlye had the same situation, he went undrafted, the Dolphins signed him as a FA, and he rehabbed and had a successful career. I like the punter pick. The fullback is interesting, he could project as a TE, and be a special teams demon, ala Havner.

Tarlam!
04-18-2010, 06:32 AM
The fullback is interesting, he could project as a TE, and be a special teams demon, ala Havner.

Little point in picking him then, is it? The Packers already have Havner. He is a decent contributor after 2 seasons on the PS. Has at least 6 more seasons in his current role in him, physically.

Am I missing something?

ND72
04-18-2010, 08:30 AM
I really like this draft.

DonHutson
04-18-2010, 08:36 AM
I really like this draft.

Me too. I don't think I've made too many posts here since January that haven't included the words 'Jerry' and 'Hughes'.

The physical comparisons to Matthews are interesting, but he also seems to share the same no-nonsense, 100% football player, team leader attitude as well.

Brandon494
04-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Some of those 40 times aren't correct.

I also think he reached with the 1st 3 picks but I wouldn't mind this draft.

Tarlam!
04-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Does any other team need a punter?

Last year, I found 2 taken in the 5th a one in the 7th rounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_Draft

Joemailman
04-18-2010, 01:06 PM
I don't think Schofield is going to be drafted. He will have had no minicamps nor any training camp. He will not be ready to play as a rookie. He will need to be on IR.

The injury occurred on January 25th, if he had immediate surgery and an immaculate comeback, he would be ready to play football at the end of September. Then three to four more weeks on PUP working with the team (PUP is six weeks inactive and 2 weeks to make a roster move I think). Not enough after half the season has passed him by.

I think you're dead wrong about him not being drafted. Look at how many teams have multiple picks in the 6th and 7th rounds. http://www.gbnreport.com/picksbyteam.html. Hell, New England has 5 7th round picks. Someone will take a chance on a guy who has a chance to be a premier pass rusher. It would probably cost less money to sign him as a late round pick than it would if you have to compete with other teams for his services once he is healthy.

Tarlam!
04-18-2010, 01:22 PM
New England has 5 7th round picks.

Thanks. I was about to enjoy my dinner and you pop that sick fact out onto the ether.

gbpackfan
04-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Who thinks the Packers are going to draft another fullback? Not me.

Fritz
04-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Withe the number of teams having mulitple late-round picks, TT will have to either trade down to get a few so he can take his flyers, or pick guys like Mesko a round earlier than he might've otherwise.

I'd be good with Hughes. Don't know much about Washington's potential as a left tackle.

I don't know much about many of the players, so mostly it'll be good unless TT takes Mays, who for some reason scares me.

Bretsky
04-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Withe the number of teams having mulitple late-round picks, TT will have to either trade down to get a few so he can take his flyers, or pick guys like Mesko a round earlier than he might've otherwise.

I'd be good with Hughes. Don't know much about Washington's potential as a left tackle.

I don't know much about many of the players, so mostly it'll be good unless TT takes Mays, who for some reason scares me.

I think Hughes is my guy Fritz ! I'm fine with Graham or Kindle...but both will be gone.

Let the Curse Die :!:

red
04-18-2010, 04:01 PM

I think Hughes is my guy Fritz ! I'm fine with Graham or Kindle...but both will be gone.

hughes in the 1st and veldheer in the 2nd would be perfect in my eyes

Tarlam!
04-18-2010, 04:22 PM
OK, call me stupid, but I simply do not understand why TT should draft the 3rd or 4th best OLB in favour of the best OG or OC produced in maybe the last 5 drafts. Pouncey and Iupati already have reservations for Hawai 2012.

Especially when I consider how well a SEVENTH rounder did in the absence of an injured Kampy at the position.

If the Packers solidify their interior line they have a legitimate run game that will open up all kinds of possibilities. I don't see that OG on their roster today, I just don't. M3 is always spouting about the run game, but with the hole at LG, they have no hope of running between the tackles reliably.

Get a mauler in there. Hang on to the pill for 40 minutes a game and starve the rivals of possession. Black and Blue Football!!!

pbmax
04-18-2010, 04:47 PM
OK, call me stupid, but I simply do not understand why TT should draft the 3rd or 4th best OLB in favour of the best OG or OC produced in maybe the last 5 drafts. Pouncey and Iupati already have reservations for Hawai 2012.

Especially when I consider how well a SEVENTH rounder did in the absence of an injured Kampy at the position.

If the Packers solidify their interior line they have a legitimate run game that will open up all kinds of possibilities. I don't see that OG on their roster today, I just don't. M3 is always spouting about the run game, but with the hole at LG, they have no hope of running between the tackles reliably.

Get a mauler in there. Hang on to the pill for 40 minutes a game and starve the rivals of possession. Black and Blue Football!!!
Solidifying the interior would be fine and Iupati and Pouncey (I read elsewhere on the board that he wasn't the prospect Mack or Mangold were) might do that. But the inside run game was the run game's one area of relative strength. Its the tackles that struggle with run blocking. So the upgrade there is not dramatic. Still if they are head and shoulders above the rest, I wouldn't hesitate.

But OLB with a pass rush would help out the entire pass defense, especially against the premier passers we struggled against. Jones did not help there. Its whether you wish to lean more need or BPA. A lot depends on the grade of the players.

At NFLdraftscout.cbssports.com, they have:

16. Iupati
27. Pouncey
29. Hughes

Those are just rankings, so the actual draft round value could be different. But it suggests Hughes and Pouncey might be pretty even, at least for these guys.

swede
04-18-2010, 04:57 PM

I agree. I don't think Iupati makes it that far. Pouncey may not. I'd take either of them if they made it that far.

I don't think ANY tackle outside of Okung, Williams, Bulaga, and Davis are worthy of pick 23 OR 55.

I do think Kyle Wilson and Jerry Hughes are worthy of that spot.

I also see an argument for trading out of that spot to get the CB McCourty, a good returner with a reputation for being a solid defensive back, along with some ammunition for moving up again later in the draft.

Bretsky
04-18-2010, 04:57 PM

hughes in the 1st and veldheer in the 2nd would be perfect in my eyes

Crap; we're screwed.........you want Hughes too :lol:

Think Brandon Flowers.....Robert Meacham....there is a bad history when we agree

Bretsky
04-18-2010, 05:02 PM

I'd point out I'm very on board with Kindle; just don't think he's there. I'm not sure we're all that bad in the interior of our OL. I would agree both of those OL would be solid picks. I just prefer the OLB that could bring the pass rush to give GB a dominating defense. Jones did a nice job for a while there but IMO was pretty poor toward the end. The Cardinal game was horrific for him. I think he's a long term roster spot but put a star there and you can have dominance. I don't think Jones is the long term starter there I want to see.

As for Hughes, perhaps I'm a bit more bias because I've watched him play quite a bit and listened to his interviews and love for the game of football.

I also think teams might be willing to trade up five to seven spots to grab a guy like Ryan Matthews...who might be there.

I'd take Hughes at 28-30 and an extra 3rd over most players that will be drafted ahead of him in the first round.

Bretsky
04-18-2010, 05:04 PM

I agree. I don't think Iupati makes it that far. Pouncey may not. I'd take either of them if they made it that far.

I don't think ANY tackle outside of Okung, Williams, Bulaga, and Davis are worthy of pick 23 OR 55.

I do think Kyle Wilson and Jerry Hughes are worthy of that spot.

I also see an argument for trading out of that spot to get the CB McCourty, a good returner with a reputation for being a solid defensive back, along with some ammunition for moving up again later in the draft.

I'd be alright with this as well.

It seems about players 22-35 are very similar in quality.

I wonder if most GM's in the NFL will be looking to trade down with the quality of players in that range

red
04-18-2010, 05:04 PM
yeah, thats not good B

i'd be fine with either iupati or pouncey, but i don't know if those two will still be there

swede
04-18-2010, 05:05 PM
I'd take Hughes at 28-30 and an extra 3rd over most players that will be drafted ahead of him in the first round.

Is there any way we can weasel Hughes AND McCourty?

IF McCourty is truly a fine returner and a fine cornerback, that would be sweet!

Bretsky
04-18-2010, 05:10 PM

Is there any way we can weasel Hughes AND McCourty?

IF McCourty is truly a fine returner and a fine cornerback, that would be sweet!

I think that would be possilbe but we'd be without a 3rd.

Example

Trade down about five spots to pick up a low 1st and a 3rd
Draft Hughes

Then we'd have to package both 3rd's and maybe even a late pick to move back into the 35-40 range and draft McCourty

Tarlam!
04-18-2010, 05:14 PM
i'd be fine with either iupati or pouncey, but i don't know if those two will still be there

Most mocks I've seen have at least Pouncey still there.

At any rate, they stand to get a player at the #23.

packrulz
04-18-2010, 05:19 PM
The fullback is interesting, he could project as a TE, and be a special teams demon, ala Havner.

Little point in picking him then, is it? The Packers already have Havner. He is a decent contributor after 2 seasons on the PS. Has at least 6 more seasons in his current role in him, physically.

Am I missing something?
It takes more than one guy to play special teams, part of the reason our punt/kick returners struggle is due to poor blocking up front, the tackling needs to improve also.

Tarlam!
04-18-2010, 05:32 PM

Am I missing something?
It takes more than one guy to play special teams, part of the reason our punt/kick returners struggle is due to poor blocking up front, the tackling needs to improve also.

OK, so you're saying this fullback will be a Special Teamer. Who do we need to cut to keep 4 TE's or 4 FB's. Sorry, Packrulz, with all due respect, I don't get the logic. It took Havner "eons" to make the team as a STer, another year to be a 3rd string, situational "TE".

I just think the learning curve is too steep to warrant that pick.

Tarlam!
04-19-2010, 05:31 AM
From Pat Kirwin NFL.com

23. Green Bay Packers

Mike Iupati, G, Idaho

The Packers build through the draft, and when ever thy see a potential 10-year starter type, they are interested. There are age issues at tackle and production issues inside at guard. Iupati can be the answer at either spot. He can pull, trap, and drive block. Iupati has measured in at 6-foot-5 and 331 pounds, which solidified his first-round status.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/mike-iupati?id=497016

56. Green Bay Packers

Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State

Green Bay corners Al Harris (35) and Charles Woodson (33) are aging and it's a good time for the team to bring along an eventual replacement. Robinson has good size and speed, and possesses man-to-man coverage skills similar in style to Harris if he works at his craft.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/patrick-robinson?id=494301

86. Green Bay Packers

Montario Hardesty, RB, Tennessee

Hardesty really came of age under coach Lane Kiffin last year in Knoxville, and now has a year of playing in a pro-style offense under his belt. During that one year, Hardesty demonstrated that he can effectively catch the ball.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/montario-hardesty?id=497178

Tarlam!
04-19-2010, 05:36 AM
Kirwin has Pouncey going 24th to Philly. :(

Iupati 6'5 and weighs over 330 lbs. Just what they need against the bigger DLs around their divison.

Pouncey is 6'4 over 300lbs. He may have room to grow, but his versatility is what I believe M3 would savour. He's played all three interior spots.

I'm not real high on the RB pick.

pbmax
04-19-2010, 09:13 AM

I am now torn about whether to encourage Fritz to endorse Hughes and double the curse on one player and pray the Patriots take him, or to ask Fritz to endorse someone else and divide the curse.

We may need Advanced Football Stats to work on the best Packer probability.