PDA

View Full Version : Lions '10/'11 Seaon Expectations

Tarlam!
04-19-2010, 08:43 AM
I was reading over at Acme Packing Company http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ that Kiper Jr. has released his 4 round mock. It's on ESPN insider so I have no idea on the picks, but the blogger seemed very impressed with the picks.

It got me to thinking about the state of the Lions. New GM, New Coach. What appears to be a keeper at QB.

With all those changes, could a 4-player haul from this year's draft make them competitive?

What say you?

Scott Campbell
04-19-2010, 08:55 AM
You can turn things around really quickly in the NFL, but that franchise seems so snake bit that I really don't know.

pbmax
04-19-2010, 09:17 AM
See the article here. http://tinyurl.com/y674cs5

This post does not endorse the public posting of ESPN insider content and posts the link only for the purpose of critical commentary.

sharpe1027
04-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Until proven otherwise, they still suck. Their schedule isn't that easy either, I think it is the 13th hardest based upon teams records from last year.

Playing the Packers and Vikings twice will not help them. Maybe they can split with the Bears. Out of the division they have Patriots, Jets, Eagles, Giants, Redskins, Dolphins, Bills, Rams and Buccaneers. Maybe they win a few out of the Bills, Rams and Buccaneers. I think 4 wins is about all they will muster, but I'm not sure enough to put money down on it. :lol:

Tarlam!
04-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Until proven otherwise, they still suck. Their schedule isn't that easy either, I think it is the 13th hardest based upon teams records from last year.

Playing the Packers and Vikings twice will not help them. Maybe they can split with the Bears. Out of the division they have Patriots, Jets, Eagles, Giants, Redskins, Dolphins, Bills, Rams and Buccaneers. Maybe they win a few out of the Bills, Rams and Buccaneers. I think 4 wins is about all they will muster, but I'm not sure enough to put money down on it. :lol:

I was looking at that, also. Of the 13 teams the Packers play this year 6 had losing seasons, 2 were .500 and the rest had winning seasons. I really think the NFC North has the toughest schedule, especially with all the off season moves made by their opponents.

Scott Campbell
04-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Detroit just traded Ernie Sims for Tony Scheffler.

Man, when Denver cleans house they don't screw around.

Freak Out
04-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Fuck the Lions......I think Stafford gets beat to a pulp again and they crater early.

I like the first four rounds Kiper has for us.

Tarlam!
04-19-2010, 11:43 AM

If they do take Suh, I'd sleep better knowing Iupati or Pouncey is there with Sitton to stop him.

Gunakor
04-19-2010, 04:16 PM

If they do take Suh, I'd sleep better knowing Iupati or Pouncey is there with Sitton to stop him.

+1.

Tarlam!
04-19-2010, 11:51 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d817a0733&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Lions face real conundrum with draft's second overall pick

By Mike Mayock

As I go through how to put together my mock draft this year, which I will reveal on NFL Network's pre-draft show on Thursday (1 p.m. ET), the puzzle I have is pinpointing what the Detroit Lions will do with the No. 2 overall pick.

There's no doubt in my mind that the St. Louis Rams will -- and should -- take QB Sam Bradford No. 1 (more on that later), but what do the Lions do at No. 2? It really is the early pivotal pick in this year's draft. I've outlined other pivotal top-10 picks below, but first the Lions …

Detroit has a higher position of need at left tackle, but the two stud defensive tackles -- Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy -- are can't-miss guys.

If the Lions drafted OT Russell Okung at No. 2, they've got a chance to come back in the second round and grab a defensive tackle if they would like to, because interior defensive line is one of the deepest positions in the draft.

But if Detroit decides to go in the opposite direction and take Suh or McCoy at No. 2, the left tackles who will remain in the second round are highly unknown. There's only seven or eight guys who I consider to be quality left tackles in this draft, and they could all be gone by the time Detroit picks in the second round (No. 34 overall). Charles Brown from USC could be sitting there. And if they've got Suh or McCoy and Brown you'd be pretty happy.

So really the question is: The greater need vs. Suh and McCoy being better football players at their position than Okung is at his.

Should you take a player that's better? Usually I say yes, because I think you dilute the overall quality of your roster when you pick a guy that you acknowledge is not as good as a guy who's available because of need. In the final days leading up to the draft, that's the conundrum facing the Lions.

Ultimately, I'm leaning toward Detroit taking a defensive tackle. I think Suh and McCoy are too good, too elite to pass up. And I think Lions coach Jim Schwartz is going to feel the same way.

Okung is very similar to Cleveland's Joe Thomas when he was being evaluated before the Browns drafted the Wisconsin product two years ago with the No. 3 overall pick. I've said since Day 1 that McCoy and Suh are the two best players in this draft. I compare Suh to being like Vikings defensive tackle Kevin Williams, who has been selected first-team all-pro five times in seven seasons. I think that's the kind of player Suh can be.

McCoy is a quick three-technique, a little bit better pass rusher, and he's explosive. He's good against the run. I think he's better than when the Bears' Tommie Harris came out of Oklahoma in 2004.

As far as who I think Detroit will take at No.2? I'm leaning toward Suh.

You're talking about a guy who's just grown up over time. There are a lot of one-year wonders out there who get drafted high in the first round, but this is a guy who's got some really good years ahead of him

Tarlam!
04-21-2010, 10:38 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817a4d36&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

After reading this article, I'm not so sure drafint Suh is such a good idea for Detroit. If they can't keep their Frachise QB out of the emergency room Sundays, what good is Suh?

They should draft the best LT available.

swede
04-21-2010, 12:12 PM
The Rams would be nuts to pass on Suh.

If they don't have a deal with the quarterback yet they are either shopping that pick or considering their options, including Suh.

Is Suh better than Mario was?

Tony Oday
04-21-2010, 11:38 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-mock-draft-jimmy-clausen-sam-bradford-041810?GT1=39002

OK if the Lions do this what the heck! That could be a nice DT tandem pick Sugh and get Haynesworth

MichiganPackerFan
04-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Reading this article about the biggest draft busts 2000-2007 really shows how Matt's Millen of mistakes really crippled this franchise. And to think that Detroit was still selling out Ford for most of this time. Dedicated fans for sure to survive that torture.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Draft-Busts-of-the-2000s-Where-are-they-now-?urn=nfl,235522