PDA

View Full Version : Ernie Sims out of the division

Lurker64
04-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Three way trade:
Eagles get Sims from the Lions.
Lions get Tony Scheffler and a 7th round pick from the Broncos.
Broncos get a fifth round pick from the Eagles.

per PFT

pbmax
04-19-2010, 11:59 AM
I would love to see a breakdown of how much teams love their draft picks more than some of their players. Isn't Ernie Sims a decent player? For a fifth round pick?

Or a seventh and Scheffler?

swede
04-19-2010, 12:01 PM
There's still hope for Detroit to be endlessly bad, I guess.

jmbarnes101
04-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Scheffler is not a bad player, just someone who got caught up in the switch from Shanahan to the new coach.

Detroit continues to upgrade their offense. They'll need to focus on D but I also think this shows that they plan to take Suh or McCoy and than follow that up with another D player in the 2nd. Between Schefler and the TE (spacing his name) they got last year they should be set there for a while.

The Eagles desperately needed to upgrade their front 7 and while they aren't done Sims will help them a lot.

The Broncos just wanted to continue their purge of Shanahan players and they've done that with Cutler, Marshall, and now Scheffler gone. All three were supposed problems but all were talented.

Out of the three teams, I think Denver did the worst, Detroit did well but the Eagles did very well considering the picks they still have and the player they acquired.

SkinBasket
04-19-2010, 12:15 PM
the Eagles did very well considering the picks they still have and the player they acquired.

The Eagles murdered this trade. Good for them!

Lurker64
04-19-2010, 12:30 PM
I think the Lions reasons for dumping Sims were that they believed he couldn't stay healthy (and he had health red flags sitting there when he was drafted), and they didn't plan on giving him a second contract.

Still, it's weird that they picked up Scheffler when they had Pettigrew (maybe they had concerns about Pettigrew's ACL recovery?).

Bossman641
04-19-2010, 12:37 PM
I think the Lions reasons for dumping Sims were that they believed he couldn't stay healthy (and he had health red flags sitting there when he was drafted), and they didn't plan on giving him a second contract.

Still, it's weird that they picked up Scheffler when they had Pettigrew (maybe they had concerns about Pettigrew's ACL recovery?).

Just from reading comments, Lions fans don't seem too worried about losing Sims. A lot of complaints that he was a terrible blitzer and only made tackles 4-7 yards past the LOS.

As far as Pettigrew, Fitzsimmons retired and Seifert (ESPN North blogger) mentioned that Linnehan likes to utilize a lot of 2 TE sets. There could be additonal concerns about Pettigrew as well.

pbmax
04-19-2010, 02:40 PM

Just from reading comments, Lions fans don't seem too worried about losing Sims. A lot of complaints that he was a terrible blitzer and only made tackles 4-7 yards past the LOS.

As far as Pettigrew, Fitzsimmons retired and Seifert (ESPN North blogger) mentioned that Linnehan likes to utilize a lot of 2 TE sets. There could be additonal concerns about Pettigrew as well.

That sounds vaguely familiar!

mission
04-19-2010, 03:52 PM

This is what I've heard. They don't think he can take the consistent beating in the middle there.

That and Pettigrew's injury is a little more severe than initially thought and TE was a growing concern for them. Per PFT

I remember a time around these parts when Sims was the greatest linebacker in the league and how he's just so much better than Hawk because of all his tackles. I'm sure a guy playing for a team getting blown out and having the clock ran on them all second half is gonna come up with a ton of tackles ... considering how much he's on the field.

mission
04-19-2010, 03:52 PM

So could we get a 5th for Barnett? :lol:

Bossman641
04-19-2010, 05:00 PM

I thought the same exact thing :D

red
04-19-2010, 05:01 PM
this just seems like a horribly stupid trade by the lions IMO

jmbarnes101
04-19-2010, 05:14 PM
this just seems like a horribly stupid trade by the lions IMO

Why? Prior to McDaniels, Scheffler was considered to be an up-and-coming offensive TE. McDaniels shoved a bunch of their best players out the door (Cutler, Marshall, and Scheffler) due to supposed attitude concerns. Honestly, to me this is a solid trade for both the Eagles & Lions. Not sure about the Broncos giving up a talented TE and a 7th round pick for a 5th round pick.

The Lions got help on offense in exchange for a player with an injury history they didn't want to pay. Pettigrew can take his time coming back now. Win-Win.
The Eagles got the help they needed in the front seven in exchange for a Day 3 draft pick. Win-Win.
The Broncos traded a TE with ability and a draft pick for a draft pick. Huh???