PDA

View Full Version : I want to strangle ESPN

Lurker64
04-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Currently on SportsCenter, Adam Schefter and Todd McShay are speculating that the Packers may be trying to trade up in the first round, presumably as high as the top 10, presumably to get an OT, and presumably to get Anthony Davis.

If Thompson gives up a second or third round pick to trade up for Anthony Davis, I'm going to throw something at something else and one or more of those things will break.

Charles Brown or Roger Saffold and whoever we get in the second or third round would add a lot more to this team than Anthony Davis.

Grr.

Freak Out
04-19-2010, 12:36 PM
They are just part of the TT smokescreen so don't worry Lurker. :)

rbaloha1
04-19-2010, 12:50 PM
TT does attempt to smokescreen but is not always successful.

Recall AJ Hawk. There was also considerable talk of the Packers high interest with Matthews prior to the draft.

Initially did not like the Matthews pick. Obviously it worked out well. If espn reports are correct I trust its the right pick.

IMO the Packers are looking add a few elite players rather than rebuilding a complete roster. TT has demonstrated flexibility in drafting.

steve823
04-19-2010, 01:02 PM
I agree that TT wants to get better players now and not stockpile picks, but I doubt he'll get Anthony Davis. Since when does TT like fat lazy people with character concerns? Not a packer person.

I have a feeling this draft might be just as good, if not better than our last one and we will add some good talent. :D

3 days!

CaptainKickass
04-19-2010, 01:10 PM
All you have to remember is that the network "ESPN" has been misspelled.

It's actually BSPN

and much like other mainstream media....is subject to a bit of a slanted view or even disinformation at times.

swede
04-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Looking over the really good players that might be left from 10-20, I think CJ Spiller is the only guy I'd be excited about moving up to get. And I don't think Green Bay is the kind of team that wants to invent new formations that would allow a player like Spiller to do his thing.

I would be ticked if we traded up to pick a fat guy. T'aint right.

Let the draft come to you Teddy.

Pugger
04-19-2010, 01:56 PM
What would we use to move up with? I can't imagin TT would be eager to relinquish a 2nd and/or 3rd rounder to move up. Didn't we have an extra 3rd pick to enable him to move up to nab CM3? :?:

pbmax
04-19-2010, 02:15 PM

Recall AJ Hawk. There was also considerable talk of the Packers high interest with Matthews prior to the draft.

Initially did not like the Matthews pick. Obviously it worked out well. If espn reports are correct I trust its the right pick.

IMO the Packers are looking add a few elite players rather than rebuilding a complete roster. TT has demonstrated flexibility in drafting.
They are one of the most secretive teams, I am not sure about smokescreens. AJ Hawk was the consensus safe pick at 5, and most years, the top five is easy to figure out. Especially since all the prospects clearly rated ahead of Hawk and of interest to the Packers (Bush, Williams, the tackle?) were off the board when they picked.

Where were the rumored high interest stories on Matthews have Thompson selecting him? I don't recall anyone thinking they were going to jump back into round 1.

Scott Campbell
04-19-2010, 03:05 PM
It would take a lot to move up that high.

Pick 10 is worth 1300 points.

Packers picks in rounds 1-4 are worth 1310 points.

SNL might refer to this trade as a mini Didka.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1745000/images/_1749582_rickywilliams150.jpg

swede
04-19-2010, 03:18 PM
It would take a lot to move up that high.

Pick 10 is worth 1300 points.

Packers picks in rounds 1-4 are worth 1310 points.

If we throw in Chris Pizzotti it's a square deal. He's gotta be worth minus 10

mission
04-19-2010, 03:20 PM
oooops

swede
04-19-2010, 03:22 PM
oooops

Oh, that's why you're oooopsin'.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=20406

No matter, bro.

Your thread will probably end up being more popular.

rbaloha1
04-19-2010, 03:30 PM

They are one of the most secretive teams, I am not sure about smokescreens. AJ Hawk was the consensus safe pick at 5, and most years, the top five is easy to figure out. Especially since all the prospects clearly rated ahead of Hawk and of interest to the Packers (Bush, Williams, the tackle?) were off the board when they picked.

Where were the rumored high interest stories on Matthews have Thompson selecting him? I don't recall anyone thinking they were going to jump back into round 1.

After the Hawk pick, I recall TT mentioning that he did a poor job of hiding the Packers interest in Hawk.

Recall the JS running a story around this time period last year about the packer's interest in Matthews. Do not recall the article mentioning the Packers moving up. Matthews was certainly a late riser.

Expect the Packers to move-up if a "Matthews" type player is available.

mission
04-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Hey one thing to think about as far as draft slot value...

Wouldn't that change significantly in a draft that's rated this deep? I've read in a few locations that the "old cowboys draft chart" is quite dated and not as reflective of current values because you can get a much better player now in the 2nd/3rd/4th.

Maybe a first, a third and an AJ hawk could get us up there? who knows, but i dont think it would be as deadly as most people think. especially since there is so much interest in trading down and so few takers because of guaranteed slotted contracts and the lack of cash reserves with the NFL's lesser half of teams.

Might be possible, but only for a gamebreaker IMO... not not not not not Anthony Davis oh please no, I can't see TT doing that.

Scott Campbell
04-19-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm betting its not going to happen. At least not into the top 10.

packers11
04-19-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm betting its not going to happen. At least not into the top 10.

agreed. top 10 would take to much... even last year when T.T. traded up to grab Matthews it wasn't a "big move up"

NE GAVE : 1st and 5th
GB GAVE : 2nd 2nd and 3rd.

^ #26 New England → Green Bay (D). New England traded the first-round selection it acquired from Baltimore (26th overall, used to select Clay Matthews) and a fifth-round selection (162nd overall) to Green Bay for a second-round selection (41st overall, used to select Darius Butler) and two third-round selections (73rd overall, traded to Jacksonville, who selected Derek Cox; and 83rd overall, used to select Brandon Tate)

Lurker64
04-19-2010, 04:13 PM
If Thompson trades away either his second or third round picks to do anything this year, I will be incredibly irate. This is the deepest draft in recent memory and our second and third round picks will yield players who have sufficient quality to be first round picks in less deep drafts.

If Thompson wants to give up a player to move up in the first, we can probably afford to give up a James Jones or somebody else who is a quality nonstarter at a position where we're deep.

packrulz
04-19-2010, 04:22 PM
I think it was last year after the draft TT said he talks trade with a lot of teams all the time, and most of the time it doesn't happen, but the Matthews trade did. I think he probably talked to a team about trading up but I doubt it will happen. For the record, I think Davis will be a stud, all this talk about him being lazy and a character is just a smokescreen.

Brandon494
04-19-2010, 05:29 PM
I highly doubt it but anything is possible.

swede
04-19-2010, 06:06 PM
I highly doubt it as well, but I would like to get to 3,000 posts before the draft.