PDA

View Full Version : Pack to trade up to Top 10 ??

mission
04-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Adam_Schefter Packers, Eagles have expressed interest in trading up to 10-12 range. But it could depend on how board falls. Good prospects everywhere.
5 minutes ago via web

Spiller? Williams? Buluga? Okung? Berry?

Boy oh boy, maybe Ted's doin a flip on us after Matthews working out...

Wonder what we'd have to give up... !!

rbaloha1
04-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Berry sure would be nice. A more athletic Leroy Butler.

mission
04-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Sorry I missed the other thread...

pack4to84
04-20-2010, 04:50 AM
Last Night on 620 WTMJ they where having draft talk. They brought this up about a possible trade rumor that the Packers where trying to move up. They said they think it is for OLB B. Graham or Bryan Bulaga. They also said that Bulaga probably wouldn't be there at 12, so they think it might have to be for Graham.

swede
04-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Last Night on 620 WTMJ they where having draft talk. They brought this up about a possible trade rumor that the Packers where trying to move up. They said they think it is for OLB B. Graham or Bryan Bulaga. They also said that Bulaga probably wouldn't be there at 12, so they think it might have to be for Graham.

It just strikes me that the talent from picks 10-30 is so close that it is not a great year to spend the capital to move up from 23 into the low teens. If you spend your 2nd and 3rd round pick to jump up to 12 and your guy gets picked at 10 you are kind of screwed.

It would be better to have three picks between 30-50 than one pick at #12, unless, of course, something crazy happened such as Berry dropping that far.

ND72
04-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Heard this morning the potential trade is the Packers moving to #10, giving Jacksonville the #23, their 2nd round, and their 5th round pick this year, and a 2nd round pick next year for #10 and a 7th this year. (It was on the radio this morning so I have no "proof" of it)

pbmax
04-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Heard this morning the potential trade is the Packers moving to #10, giving Jacksonville the #23, their 2nd round, and their 5th round pick this year, and a 2nd round pick next year for #10 and a 7th this year. (It was on the radio this morning so I have no "proof" of it)
Ted has said (one of the few unequivocal statements he has made about his philosophy) that he would not trade a future 1st rounder for a current draft pick. That may not rule it out but it seems unlikely.

Who is available at #10 that is such a level above similar players at #23?

Is it a LB, OT, or DB? The best three tackles are projected to hop off the board before ten, and I would be surprised to see Thompson leap up after his previous high of a 2nd rounder for an O lineman. However, Left Tackle is one of the positions for which the normal rules do not apply in Wolf's theory of player acquisition.

mission
04-20-2010, 08:26 AM
CJ Spiller

ND72
04-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Ted has said (one of the few unequivocal statements he has made about his philosophy) that he would not trade a future 1st rounder for a current draft pick. That may not rule it out but it seems unlikely.

Who is available at #10 that is such a level above similar players at #23?

Is it a LB, OT, or DB? The best three tackles are projected to hop off the board before ten, and I would be surprised to see Thompson leap up after his previous high of a 2nd rounder for an O lineman. However, Left Tackle is one of the positions for which the normal rules do not apply in Wolf's theory of player acquisition.

As much as I love CJ Spiller, I think if he's looking to trade up for a certain Tackle, he could probably keep all his picks and get just as good a value player as trading all those picks away to move up. I think this draft is that deep.

Tarlam!
04-20-2010, 08:46 AM
It just strikes me that the talent from picks 10-30 is so close that it is not a great year to spend the capital to move up from 23 into the low teens. If you spend your 2nd and 3rd round pick to jump up to 12 and your guy gets picked at 10 you are kind of screwed.

It would be better to have three picks between 30-50 than one pick at #12.

I agree with this. From all accounts this a "deep" draft with great value to be had at a number of position up to round 4.

Uless the Packers have identified "the missing piece" and feel they can go get it, I just don't see the sense in trading up this year.

red
04-20-2010, 09:51 AM
i would really hope ted doesn't do this trade

i think it's all a smoke screen anyways

green_bowl_packer
04-20-2010, 10:49 AM

It would be better to have three picks between 30-50 than one pick at #12.

I agree with this. From all accounts this a "deep" draft with great value to be had at a number of position up to round 4.

Uless the Packers have identified "the missing piece" and feel they can go get it, I just don't see the sense in trading up this year.

Me too. Don't do this; unless this player is going to contribute in 2010 like Berry, Thomas, Haden, or a Spiller could. There are only a few who could contribute at a position of need (CB/S/OLB/RS/RB), I won't count LT since we do have Clifton now, it's kind of an expensive insurance policy if this is for Buluga who'll sit, when you can get Fox/Veldeer/Safford/Capers or someone else who'll also sit in rounds 2-4.

I'd have to think it'd be Berry or Thomas who could start at safety day one, and be groomed as the Polamalu type in Dom's 3-4 on top of Charles Woodson makes the defense that more dangerous.

swede
04-20-2010, 12:04 PM
I would give up pick #32 from next year to get Berry.

Fritz
04-20-2010, 12:13 PM
A friend of mine would like to see the Pack move up to get Berry.

Is Berry that good?

swede
04-20-2010, 12:21 PM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=68598&draftyear=2010&genpos=FS

Well, if you can believe the hype. They say he's Ed Reed with speed.

When we get the fifth pick it's AJ Hawk. :(

Kansas City could take Berry with the 5th pick.

rbaloha1
04-20-2010, 12:29 PM
This moving-up talk is great. Recall last year that the board classified TT has someone who hordes draft picks and refuses to move up.

Shall not be surprised TT packages veterans and draft picks to acquire a Berry type player.

RashanGary
04-20-2010, 12:43 PM
I see Buluga, Berry and Trent Williams as top candidates. Earl Thomas intrigues me too.

Anthony Davis (if there is some information our scouts hold that he's a rock solid guy and a dominant player), Joe Haden and Brandon Graham are other outside shots.

Tony Oday
04-20-2010, 12:49 PM
In TT I trust

swede
04-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Looking at the Kiper/McShay 4.0 mock Berry is obviously out of the question. It could be reckoned that one of the group of Bulaga, CJ Spiller, or the Texas safety/corner Earl Thomas would still be around at 10.

Freak Out
04-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Hell....you could probably trade down and get a fine safety in Allen if that's what you are looking for. Berry is a badass but that's a steep price to pay to trade up that far.

Maybe KC would take our #1 and Hawk or Barnett? :)

green_bowl_packer
04-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Mike Mayock on Path to the Draft the other night liked Earl Thomas better than Berry. Mayock and Casserly were arguing about who was better, Casserly preferred Berry.

Mayock said he watched the tape of Berry the year before Monte Kiffin got there and was moving him closer to the line of scrimmage, where he was more in coverage - and he thought Thomas was the better safety - just had better instincts to make plays on the ball.

Mayock prefaced this with and I'm paraphrasing, "Charlie, I used to play safety in the NFL so I like to think I know what I'm talking about in regards to the safety position."

I'd take either or Spiller.

red
04-20-2010, 01:50 PM
A friend of mine would like to see the Pack move up to get Berry.

Is Berry that good?

i watched him a couple times this year to see what the hype was all about

in short, i would say yes, he's that good

he seems to be everywhere on every single play

swede
04-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Mike Mayock on Path to the Draft the other night liked Earl Thomas better than Berry. Mayock and Casserly were arguing about who was better, Casserly preferred Berry.

Mayock said he watched the tape of Berry the year before Monte Kiffin got there and was moving him closer to the line of scrimmage, where he was more in coverage - and he thought Thomas was the better safety - just had better instincts to make plays on the ball.

Mayock prefaced this with and I'm paraphrasing, "Charlie, I used to play safety in the NFL so I like to think I know what I'm talking about in regards to the safety position."

I'd take either or Spiller. That's a good catch there, Green Bowl.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=72083&draftyear=2010&genpos=CB

Dang! A lot of the really good D Backs are kind of short this year. I wonder how hard and fast Green Bay is holding to the "tall DB's only" rule.

swede
04-20-2010, 04:03 PM
It looks like the Dolphins, with pick 12, are keenly interested in Thomas.

Vaulting up to 10 to jump the Big Tuna and his Phish?

mission
04-20-2010, 04:27 PM
I would give up pick #32 from next year to get Berry.

I like your thinking :wink:

pbmax
04-20-2010, 05:10 PM
I'd be stunned if he trades up for a safety. Which should give hope to those rooting for Berry, I haven't been unconditionally wrong in weeks. I'm due. :lol:

TennesseePackerBacker
04-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Yes, Berry is that good. I felt like he was the next great safety prospect as a sophomore. Berry projects as more of an FS to me. Sure, he's great against the run and great in the box. But, he's also good enough to play cornerback. The guy really doesn't have a flaw in his game. If the Packers got him i'd be estatic.

green_bowl_packer
04-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Monte Kiffin told Eric Berry he'd be a fool to stay in school
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 1, 2010 7:37 PM ET

When Eric Berry was deciding whether to enter the 2010 draft or return for his senior season at Tennessee, one of the people whose opinion he sought was his defensive coordinator last year, the longtime NFL defensive guru Monte Kiffin.

Kiffin told him to go.

"Monte told me I'd be a fool to stay," Berry said.

Although calling a player a "fool" for staying in college might be a bit much, Kiffin was certainly correct in assessing that Berry is ready to play at the next level. Berry is a near lock to be a Top 10 pick (we've got him going fourth overall in our mock draft), and he also has family reasons to make money now, with a father who needs heart surgery.

"I'd really just like him to sit down and enjoy life a little bit, and not have to [work two jobs]" Berry said of his father. "So I just entered the draft to make that situation better."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/01/monte-kiffin-told-eric-berry-hed-be-a-fool-to-stay-in-school/

vince
04-20-2010, 08:44 PM
NFP is reporting that Charles Brown is one of the fastest rising players at this late stage "according to league sources." He's now being projected to be drafted "perhaps even by the Buffalo Bills with the ninth overall selection."

I think he is the guy with perhaps the brightest future long-term of this year's tackle class. He reportedly didn't give up a sack all year last year, and has the benefit of going up against the likes of Clay Matthews, Everson Griffin, Brian Cushing, etc. in practice every day.

Here's a Q&A with Brown.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/USC-offensive-tackle-Charles-Brown-QA.html

Bretsky
04-20-2010, 08:45 PM
I hope he is

I keep reading Jerry Hughes is a fast riser and may not last past the Texans now

ND72
04-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Oh I love draft time. we now have 50 players who won't make it past pick #20.

red
04-20-2010, 09:06 PM

you know, i don't know if this draft is really deep, or if it just has a few really good players and like 60-70 so-so guys.

theres like the big five or so that everyone has been able to agree upon all along. but it seems like picks 5-75 could go anywhere. guys that where 3rd rounders a couple weeks ago are now projected as 1st rounders and former top 10's and 15's are falling fast

and a lot of those guys out of the big five or so all have huge question marks in my opinion

i think this draft has about the same depth as any other draft, its just that everyone is having problems trying to figure out where everyone is going

charles brown had a slim chance of being a first round pick a week ago, or at best a very late first rounder. now people are saying top 10?

same goes for kyle wilson. it was only a couple weeks ago that he started to creep into the discussion for #23, now he might be the top cb and a top 10 pick?

my favorite is CJ spiller. in the last 2 days i've seen mocks having him go anywhere for #5 or 6 all the way to #28

the experts are as confused as hell this year and it makes it look like a really deep draft IMO

swede
04-20-2010, 10:51 PM

:lol:

packerbacker1234
04-21-2010, 02:03 AM
Berry most likely wouldn't be there at 10 if we could trade up, but that Thomas kid appears to be as close to if not better overall at saftey then Berry, and he is sure to be there at 10, but may not be there after 12. I would trade up for him possibly. Even with Collins locked up, I am sure we can find a way to work Thomas and Collins, or the dream team Collins and Berry together back there. Screw the prototypical SS. :P

packrulz
04-21-2010, 05:43 AM
TT doesn't trade up hardly ever, trading up for Matthews was the only time he has that I can think of. It ain't going to happen.

Joemailman
04-21-2010, 06:39 AM
Actually, TT traded up to get Jeremy Thompson, but I agree he won't trade up early. Last year was a special situation because they were switching to the 3-4 and had nobody to play the crucial ROLB position. In a strong draft like this year, trading down is probably the way to go.

hoosier
04-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Actually, TT traded up to get Jeremy Thompson, but I agree he won't trade up early. Last year was a special situation because they were switching to the 3-4 and had nobody to play the crucial ROLB position. In a strong draft like this year, trading down is probably the way to go.

I agree that he won't trade up. The problem is, it sounds like every team is looking to trade down, so he may not find any tempting offers for #23.

swede
04-21-2010, 12:19 PM

I agree that he won't trade up. The problem is, it sounds like every team is looking to trade down, so he may not find any tempting offers for #23.

I think that may be right up until the back end of the first round. Teams may start to get a little twitchy if a favored player makes it eight picks past where they thought he would be selected.

DonHutson
04-21-2010, 12:59 PM
I think the only player (of those likley to be there) they think about doing this for is Bulaga.

I agree they need someone more reliable than Bigby at S, but not so desparately that you give up 3 high draft picks for Berry or Thomas. Berry probably won't be there anyway.

I'd love to add a guy like Spiller to the offense, but while he's explosive he might never be an every down guy and he's got durability issues. I can't see Ted investing 3 high picks in him. The Packers seem content to pick up their backs on the cheap anyway.

Really, the only position I can see making that investment in is a LT. They know they're going to need one soon. They've got a young, Pro Bowl QB to protect so they need a good one. And while not all OT's taken high in the draft turn out to be great, it's a reality that most of the great ones are taken high.

If you know you need a dominant LT, and you strongly suspect you won't be in a position to draft one with your own picks anytime soon - then your options are a trade like this or FA. And nobody lets a franchise LT hit FA anymore.

So I could see this as a possibility if Bulaga is there. I can't see it for a project like Campbell or a headcase like Davis. Ted would only do this for someone relatively safe. That leaves Bulaga.

Tarlam!
04-21-2010, 01:24 PM
They've got a young, Pro Bowl QB to protect so they need a good one. And while not all OT's taken high in the draft turn out to be great, it's a reality that most of the great ones are taken high.

This is exactly great, but they don't need a great, NFL LT right away. A project in rounds 2-3 will be just fine and better value.

Most Packer fans are really hot for an OLB opposite CMIII or secondary help in the 1st. Not me. I see the best value on the 2 interior OL position with Pouncey or Iupati.

hoosier
04-21-2010, 02:59 PM

I think that may be right up until the back end of the first round. Teams may start to get a little twitchy if a favored player makes it eight picks past where they thought he would be selected.

Good point. Seeing unexpected "good value" in the mid 20's may cause some teams to reevaluate. That makes sense. But I can also remember when, several years ago, Brady Quinn was falling into the low teens and even into the 20's. Cleveland was lowballing teams like GB and didn't finally make a serious offer until Dallas's turn to pick. So if someone starts to fall and a team feels it needs to get in ahead of Philly, Balt or Az, then TT might be sitting pretty. Otherwise I bet he has a difficult time getting full value for trading down.