PDA

View Full Version : The Key To The Packers' Draft Is....

The Shadow
04-19-2010, 08:47 PM
....... Brad Jones the guy to complement Mathews at the other OLB spot?Can he supply the necessary heat so teams can't just concentrate on Clay?
Increase the pass rush and the secondary instantly gets a whole lot better.

If he isn't the answer, the Packers will draft a Graham, Weatherspoon, or Hughes.
If they believe he is, I see the Pack selecting an OT,perhaps a Rodger Saffold.
It is also quite possible that an unexpected DB - like Earl Thomas, for example, could be available at #23.

To me, the Packers' questions are at OLB, OT, and defensive backfield.
A quality corner OR safety would be attractive.

Bretsky
04-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Another Dominating PASS RUSHER

red
04-19-2010, 09:13 PM
we'll know exactly what the team thinks about jones if they pass up grahm, kindle or hughes if they are there in the 1st when we draft

it wouldn't surprise me at all if they feel he's the real deal opposite mathews

i'm comfortable with him there

Brandon494
04-19-2010, 09:16 PM
we'll know exactly what the team thinks about jones if they pass up grahm, kindle or hughes if they are there in the 1st when we draft

it wouldn't surprise me at all if they feel he's the real deal opposite mathews

i'm comfortable with him there

Graham and Hughes would be projects so I could see him passing up on them but if Kindle is there I highly doubt TT lets him slid unless its a character issue.

The Shadow
04-20-2010, 04:38 PM
I think I am leaning more to Graham or Hughes.

sharpe1027
04-20-2010, 04:57 PM
While OLB or OT seems to make the most sense to us, I'd be willing to bet that the Packers go a different direction with the first pick. Somebody high on their board will fall to them (like Rodgers), or they'll determine that they have several equally valued players available and trade down because they know at least one of them will still be around, if not more.

Who knows after that?

The Leaper
04-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Hell, even I already know that Jones is NOT an elite pass rushing prospect. The Packers will use Jones exactly for what he is...a capable guy to fill in on run downs who can tandem with a more elite pass rushing OLB who really can't play every down.

I'm guessing the Packers will go BPA (not a WR or QB) with the first pick. I would love for that guy to be an OT or OLB pass rusher, but this draft is deep enough for Thompson to find help at those positions in rounds 2-4.

Gunakor
04-21-2010, 12:02 AM
Jones might not be elite, but I think he's more capable than you suggest Leap. He got 4 sacks last year, all coming after Kampman's injury. Kampman didn't have 4 sacks before getting hurt. I'm willing to concede that's likely partly due to opponents offensive gameplanning, but I think Jones is capable of being more than a situational backer that comes in only on run downs. He can get after the quarterback.

packerbacker1234
04-21-2010, 02:06 AM
Barring an unforseen trade up scenario, I think TT will take a see what is left approach and go from there. Imagine if a Ryan Matthews was still around or something - I could easily see us go that route. Or if he isn't completely satisfied with Jones and Nelson, could easily see a top flight WR if it's there. As much as OLB and OT are needs, OT isn't an immediate "we need a starter now" need, and OLB we do have a decent young option there who has experience now in our system. Whoever is the best available at the time he will take, unless of course it's a QB because unlike last time when we took rodgers, we really do have absolutely no use for a stud back up QB.