PDA

View Full Version : Ask Tarlam anything about Uluru

swede
04-21-2010, 04:23 PM
I like the new avatar, Tarlam. Been missing the homeland?

Do Australians tend to refer to the formation as Ayer's Rock or Uluru?

Have you ever visited it? If you have, or if you know people who have traveled way the heck out into the middle of the continent just to see it, I must ask if one feels a strange sense of awe because of the history, the magnetism, its unique geological structure, or, is it reported that some feel the spiritual presence of the aboriginal dreamland.

I think I might feel guilty about climbing on it since the aborigines apparently resent the intrusion.

http://www.crystalinks.com/ayersrock.html

retailguy
04-21-2010, 04:29 PM
I wondered what it was. Thought it was a cool pic.

swede
04-21-2010, 04:35 PM
The thing is actually a rock. A single piece of red sandstone sitting in a rock crust of entirely different composition.

Freak Out
04-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Anyone who has ever climbed it either died pretty quick or at least had a bad dream.

red
04-21-2010, 05:52 PM
when you see it in person do you think to yourself, "is that it"? or is it still massive looking in person?

Freak Out
04-21-2010, 06:05 PM
when you see it in person do you think to yourself, "is that it"? or is it still massive looking in person?

It's fucking huge......no photos do it justice.

Tarlam!
04-22-2010, 12:56 AM

It's fucking huge......no photos do it justice.

No I haven't been. It has been "given back" to the indigenous people. Whites just call it "The Rock".

I think seeing it would be akin to seeing Niagara Falls for the first time. Or, as in my case, the Eifel Tower in France. After having seen that in a trillion movies, I just wasn't prepared for how awesome it really is.

The Aboriginees believe it (The Rock, not the Eifel Tower) fell out of the sky some 30.000 years ago and it is considered a holy place.

Although it is a trademark of Australia, it is but one of a multitude of natural formations that the continent has to offer.

Since I grew up there, my plans were to see the world first, then when I'm retired, I'd do the Australian continent.