PDA

View Full Version : Vandermause blog on Tues AM practice

Willard
08-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Morning workout lasts 75 minutes
The Packers finished their morning workout Tuesday after 75 minutes, the shortest practice of training camp.

The highlights from coach Mike McCarthy’s post-practice press conference:
* On Brett Favre’s five interceptions during Tuesday’s practice: “The thing about quarterbacks, you’ve got to stay away from interceptions that are bad decisions. He saw something on two or three of them, you’ve got to pull back. Brett’s personality is to push forward. . . .Sometimes you’ve got to pull back and take a checkdown instead of throwing the ball through that keyhole.”

* McCarthy said he will determine Favre’s practice schedule based on the quarterback’s sore ankle and the number of throws he makes. Favre made fewer throws in practice on Monday and thus practiced on Tuesday morning. “We’re just being smart with him,” said McCarthy.

* Receiver Cory Rodgers (hamstring), guard Junius Coston (heat) and cornerback Mike Hawkins (knee) sat out the morning practice.

* McCarthy assessed the progress running back Samkon Gado is making in the new zone-blocking system: “I think he’s doing a nice job. Samkon, the way he runs the football, he’s going to be a lot more productive when he puts the pads on. He runs with power. He’s more of a power runner.
“We’re very happy with the progress he’s made from last year.”

* On the progress of rookie guards Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz, who are penciled in as starters: “The first two weeks is going to be more of an adjustment period for them…. I think you’ll see maturity come to light as we get into pre-season games.”

* On when starting safety Marquand Manuel, who is nursing a sore calf, will return: “It’s day to day, He’s chomping at the bit to get back. But once again, we don’t want it to be a long-term deal. We’re playing the high side of caution.”

* McCarthy said there was no significance to the fact receiver Donald Driver was catching footballs during a kickoff drill. “That’s the same question I asked too,” he said. “Mike (Stock, the special teams coach) was just working different units. I’ve never been on a team where starting flanker is catching kickoffs. That’s concerning.”

-- Mike Vandermause, Green Bay Press-Gazette
posted by PackersNews.com at 12:54 PM

ahaha
08-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Favre threw another 5 ints today? Is that true, or just a typo?

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Favre threw another 5 ints today? Is that true, or just a typo?

Willard???

Yea!! What's the scoop there?

Maybe it's this? Was MM talking to the reporter about todays or yesterdays TC practise?

GO PACKERS !

Willard
08-01-2006, 03:20 PM
I saw a different interview that suggested the Offense was much better today, so I think it was a typo. The 5 picks were from Monday. No repeat performance. At least I hope not.... :?

MJZiggy
08-01-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm watching M3's conference and it sure sounds like they were talking about the film from Monday. The question put to him was, "now that you've had a chance to review the film..."

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 03:32 PM
I saw a different interview that suggested the Offense was much better today, so I think it was a typo. The 5 picks were from Monday. No repeat performance. At least I hope not.... :?

That certainly would have been a case of lightning striking twice. :mrgreen:

Thanks Willard.

GO PACKERS !

MadtownPacker
08-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Favre just wants the DBs to feel like they are bad asses. :mrgreen:

Iron Mike
08-01-2006, 09:23 PM

They ARE bad asses!!!! :D

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 10:28 PM

Yes. A PR move.

Willard
08-01-2006, 10:39 PM

Yes. A PR move.

Of course. You are absolutely right! This is Favre's way of supporting his statement: "This secondary is the most talented one I have ever played with since I began playing kiddie ball back in Kiln 30 years ago"......

Joemailman
08-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Brett's just trying to figure out if Charles Woodson has good enough hands to play wide receiver.

Tony Oday
08-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Brett's just trying to figure out if Charles Woodson has good enough hands to play wide receiver.

Hey you are drinking the same Kool-Aid as me :)