PDA

View Full Version : Bryan Bulaga

RashanGary
04-22-2010, 11:10 PM
There's no topic, so I'll start with my take.

I think he's a perfect match for Green Bay.

He had a thyroid condition that caused him to lose weight and strength. His game suffered a bit during that stretch. Also, you'd imagine he's been working to really get back to 100% full strength ever since. Also, he just turned 21.

So the reason he slipped is because he had the rough stretch of tape with the thyroid and probably needs a little strength work to really be NFL legit and he's young. NFL teams want to take lineman they feel are right now guys. Buluga can kind of play right now, but I think he's a guy, because of age and circumstance, that is really going to take off in year two.
\
I think he's a perfect for for us because I think he has 10 year starter at LT written all over him. He's going to be able to focus on getting physically right and assignment sure before he's tossed into the fire. Many teams would need him on the first snap of the season, were we can get all of the long term benefits and still allow him that time he needs to get right.

The reason I think he slipped fits well with us and his long term strengths fit well with us. I think he landed in the perfect spot for us (where we were picking) and for him (where he'll have the best chance to succeed early). Not a sexy pick, but a great start to the draft and this has a lot of other depth impacts on our whole line right now. Lang can focus in else where. Our depth is finally comfortable, even on the left side.

HarveyWallbangers
04-22-2010, 11:15 PM
He's the guy I wanted--which scares me. I also liked Jerry Hughes and Patrick Robinson.

Joemailman
04-22-2010, 11:18 PM
In drills I thought he looked less nimble than guys like Okung and Williams. However, in game situations I thought he looked very good. This is a perfect situation for him. He can learn from 2 great veterans and not be rushed into the lineup. Besides that, he looks like a guy you want to tailgate with.

Joemailman
04-22-2010, 11:18 PM
He's the guy I wanted--which scares me. I also liked Jerry Hughes and Patrick Robinson.

Relax. I don't think Bretsky mentioned him. :lol:

Sparkey
04-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Bryan Bulaga

Offensive Tackle

University of Iowa

Junior

6’ 6” 312 lbs.

Strengths: Leverage, Size, Feet, Strength, Intelligence

Weaknesses: Medical Issues, Experience, Technique

By Bryan Dietzler

The decision that Bryan Bulaga made to come out a year early may have been one of the best decisions that could have been made by any junior in this year’s 2010 NFL Draft. Bulaga has the kind of skill and size that NFL teams will be looking for this year and he could end up being a pretty high draft pick. So what makes Bulaga so special? What does he have to offer NFL teams? Let’s find out.

Bulaga brings great size to the position standing six feet six inches and weighing 312 pounds. This is the kind of size in an offensive tackle that NFL scouts love. While some players that size are not stellar athletes, Bulaga is indeed a solid athlete and is one of the better athletes at the offensive tackle position in this year’s draft. Bulaga is able to get off of the line quickly and engage the defender right where it counts and keep contact with the defender until the play is finished. Bulaga’s hand work is very good as well and he places his hands well and keeps them on the defender.

Bulaga is also a long strider who gets from one point to another very quickly. Even though he is tall (his legs are very long) Bulaga has a lower center of gravity than most offensive tackles built like him which is a plus. Bulaga also has a huge wingspan and his long arms help keep defenders away from his body (which he does very well) and allows him to control defenders at the point of attack. While there is some room for Bulaga to get stronger he is still one of the strongest offensive tackles available and should be able to outmuscle many NFL defenders with the strength that he has.

Bulaga quietly makes big plays in all phases of the game and is a strong asset in the red zone especially at the goal line. He would make a great lineman to run behind when trying to get the ball in the end zone from short distances. He moves his feet very well also and can move from side to side effectively keeping contact with the defenders. With his long reach, he is able to keep his hands on defenders and move them the way that he wants (re-direct).

Bulaga has a big time mean streak which is essential for any NFL left tackle. He is also very strong and won’t be outrushed by most defenders in the NFL providing he can work on his technique and continue to improve. Bulaga is also good at picking up defenders on blitzes. Overall, his pass protection is solid and he doesn’t struggle there. He is sound fundamentally run blocking but could use some work there. Finally, Bulaga does very well at finishing his blocks and blocks until the whistle blows. He is a smart player who learns quickly and is a true leader.

Bulaga doesn’t have too many faults but there are a few that will make some scouts think about drafting him. The biggest issue that he has deals with some medical concerns. He currently has a thyroid condition that was an issue in the past and could flare up again. He has also been hurt at various points in his college career and could dissuade some teams from drafting him early. In coming out a year early, Bulaga isn’t as experienced as some of the other tackles in the 2010 NFL Draft and this might end up hurting him as well. He might have a learning curve as a result.

Bulaga, while a strong run blocker, will need some help becoming a much stronger run blocker especially when he gets to the second level. He could also stand to get a little bit stronger.

Since coming to the Hawkeyes, Bulaga has gained the following honors:

2009-Preseason all-American by Phil Steele, preseason first team All Big Ten by Phil Steele and Lindy’s, first team left tackle.

2008-Second team all Big Ten by coaches, honorable mention all Big Ten by media, first team all Big Ten by Phil Steele, second team sophomore all American by CollegeFootballNews.com, Hustle Team Award for the offense.

2007-Named to the Freshman all Big Ten Team by the Sporting News.

High School-Parade Magazine, Prep Star Magazine and East West All American. USA Today second team all American. The IHSFCA, Chicago Tribune and the Champaign News Gazette first team all state, Suburban Catholic Conference and Northwest Herald Area Player of the Year, Chicago Sun Times first team all area, first team all area and all conference.

The Final Word

Bulaga is one of the top offensive tackle prospects in the NFL Draft this year and should be taken somewhere in the middle or late part of the first round. Health will be the biggest question and if he grades out well there then there is no reason to think that no one will be afraid of taking him. With that being said, it’s possible, if he is drafted by the right team, that he could have a long and successful career in the NFL.

Prediction: Drafted between 15 and 24.

Brohm
04-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Figured I'd post this here too:

Just for comparison....

Bulaga's arm length (33 1/4)

Joe Thomas (32 1/2)

Oher (33 1/2)

Jake Long (32 7/8)

Okung (36)

Trent Williams (34)

Clifton (33)

Bryant KcKinnie (35 1/2)

Orlando Pace (36 1/4)

BallHawk
04-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Funny deadspin comment:

"Bryan Bulaga will be thrilled to be making NFL money after selling tires in Milwaukee for 34 years."

OS PA
04-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Thought I'd repost this here.

It's funny. Five months ago, this guy was our pick in everybody's mock draft, then the combine came around and everything changed. Draft time comes around, everything settles back down, and Bulaga falls right back into our laps. Did he really fall or is the media just really good at hyping up players. The more we listen to guys like Mel Kiper, the further away from reality we get. Bulaga is a great talent, but he isn't a sure fire pick. This draft is really deep, but the elite talent was all gone by the time Eric Berry came off the board. This first round has three tiers of talent. The first tier was Berry, Suh, and McCoy. The second tier was Bradford, Haden, Okung, Williams, and Thomas. The third tier is the deepest tier, it is full of above average prospects, and I feel like the second round is going to still be dipping into the third tier. After about the 12th or 13th pick in the second round, we'll be moving into the fourth and fifth tiers, which is more of a long shot for getting a day one starter. This draft is deep, but it isn't deep in elite talent, just above average guys.

I am super happy about Bulaga, but he could amount to an average player. He doesn't play with elite knee-bend, he isn't overly quick, and he does have short arms. With the edge rushers in our division, we need a guy with that quick first step and a long enough wingspan to hold the corner. I hope that Bulaga doesn't have to start from day 1, because he would be manhandled by Peppers and Allen. Bulaga has the potential to be a Joe Thomas type of talent, but I don't think we'll see much of that this year. I would be more than happy to bite my tongue if I am proven wrong.

Tony Oday
04-22-2010, 11:27 PM
LOVE this quote!!!!

Bulaga has a big time mean streak which is essential for any NFL left tackle.

RashanGary
04-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Alright, I'm out. See you guys and gals tomorrow.

In my humble, uninformed opinion, this is a great start to the draft. I'm hoping for two more quality guys at positions of need on day two!! I'd love to trade Colledge for a 3rd rounder too!!

Joemailman
04-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Am I correct in thinking that the Packers can't trade Colledge because he hasn't signed his tender?

Harlan Huckleby
04-22-2010, 11:54 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/video/2010/04/21/VI2010042103528.html

he looks about 35 years old.

I'm glad they took an offensive tackle, but nobody knows how good he'll be.

Harlan Huckleby
04-22-2010, 11:58 PM
The second tier was Bradford, Haden, Okung, Williams, and Thomas. Brandon Graham of MI dominated every game I saw him play, he was MI's whole defense. I think he has the quicks to be a great pro.

Bretsky
04-23-2010, 12:16 AM

Relax. I don't think Bretsky mentioned him. :lol:

Sorry........but I've been kosher with Brian B from the very start
I just never thought he'd fall this far

I gotta endorse this as a solid pick

Still really liked Jerry Hughes though; great dude also. At least he gets to play with a great organization. He will be heard from

mission
04-23-2010, 01:51 AM
Wow, check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DYk6GzwHC4

Forget about him getting beat the first play, pretty sure that was first game of the year against Graham. There are at least 10 plays in there where he's pushing a guy 10 yards down the field. He looks nasty as hell, never stops. I bet his play will light a fire under Colledge's ass.

I haven't really watched much on Buluga only because I didn't think we had a chance at him.

I did root against them when they played Georgia Tech and I thought he completely stonewalled Derrick Morgan who I was rooting for to tare it up. That's when I just assumed he was a top 14 guy.

Not super sexy, was somehow hoping for Graham but you gotta like our depth on the line a lot more now. I wonder how the lineup will shake out...

Can't wait for tomorrow :D

Lurker64
04-23-2010, 02:56 AM
Wow, check out this video:

Forget about him getting beat the first play, pretty sure that was first game of the year against Graham. There are at least 10 plays in there where he's pushing a guy 10 yards down the field. He looks nasty as hell, never stops. I bet his play will light a fire under Colledge's ass.

I haven't really watched much on Buluga only because I didn't think we had a chance at him.

I did root against them when they played Georgia Tech and I thought he completely stonewalled Derrick Morgan who I was rooting for to tare it up. That's when I just assumed he was a top 14 guy.

Not super sexy, was somehow hoping for Graham but you gotta like our depth on the line a lot more now. I wonder how the lineup will shake out...

Can't wait for tomorrow :D

I think Bulaga gets knocked too much for his bad play when he was coming back from Thyroiditis. I think the Bulaga from 2008 and the one that shut down Derrick Morgan in the Orange Bowl is a lot closer to the one that we're going to get. Unless this guy is somehow more susceptible to viral infections, somehow...

CaliforniaCheez
04-23-2010, 03:27 AM
The guy is young. 21 last month. Younger than my son 21 in Feb.

He is still getting stronger. I don't expect too much as a rookie.
(Remember between April and August these "great prospects" turn into "dumb rookies")

A couple of offseasons of lifting weights and working on technique he will become great.

Mike Wahle came to the Packers this young and people hated him as a rookie. Finley was very immature as a rookie but made huge progress by year 2.

Let's not think he is too great now. Give him a year or two.

On the other hand the Packers got the only A+ at this site:
http://www.draftseason.com/live-2010-nfl-draft-1st-round-grades/

Gunakor
04-23-2010, 04:30 AM

Most grades I've seen have the Packers as a B or a B+. All with generally the same explaination: The Packers get points for selecting a consensus top 10 pick of a few weeks ago, but there's a reason why his draft stock fell sharply in the crucial days before the draft.

I can't say I disagree with that assessment. Another thing they could have mentioned is that Bulaga isn't likely to be a regular starter for a year or two. But that said, I think Bulaga is going to really impress some people, especially having that year or two to learn the game from 2 outstanding veterans before becoming that regular starter.

packrulz
04-23-2010, 06:04 AM
I love the pick, another hard working midwestern boy, but I would like to see him get all his snaps at LT, and give him a year or two to get in the weight room and also get his technique down. Some are saying he'll start at LG and back up at tackle, not sure I like that idea, I could see starting Lang at LG, and give Bulaga a chance to develop.

vince
04-23-2010, 06:08 AM
I think Bulaga gets knocked too much for his bad play when he was coming back from Thyroiditis. I think the Bulaga from 2008 and the one that shut down Derrick Morgan in the Orange Bowl is a lot closer to the one that we're going to get. Unless this guy is somehow more susceptible to viral infections, somehow...
I think this is exactly right. I followed Bulaga closely at Iowa and saw his "struggles" when he came back from his thyroid problem. At the time, I thought he might be over-rated. But then as the year went on, he showed that he just needed to build up his strength, stamina, etc. He made Morgan a complete non-factor in the Orange Bowl.

I really never thought he was a realistic possibility to get to 23. Great intelligence. Great attitude. Great prospect. Someone else noted that his arms are longer than Joe Thomas', Jake Long's, Chad Clifton's, and a host of other great NFL tackles, so there is no reason to suggest that would be problematic, particularly when you look at his college performance when healthy. He cut his teeth in a zone blocking system, and does an excellent job in both run blocking and pass pro, so we got a complete player here who is still a pup.

AWESOME pick in my book. Can't wait for tonight now!

vince
04-23-2010, 06:29 AM
Bulaga's Press Conference Transcript:

Q. You must be very excited to go to the Packers, tremendous tradition. Not even a question.

BRYAN BULAGA: No, it really isn’t. I’m ecstatic to be a Green Bay Packer. I grew up in Illinois and really familiar with the NFC North and familiar with what it’s all about. I’m a cold weather guy and it’s going to be good for me to play up there.

The fans are tremendous. The fan base is amazing. I’ve only heard great things about Lambeau Field so I’m ecstatic to be a Green Bay Packer.

Q. Did you root against the Packers growing up in Illinois?

BRYAN BULAGA: I was more of a college football fan growing up my entire life. Obviously you are rooting for the Bears when they are doing well so obviously I think my allegiance has suddenly changed.

The Bears, no, I was never a fan. Never.

Q. Can you talk about so many great skilled players on offense for Green Bay, can you talk about how much you are looking forward to learning from them?

BRYAN BULAGA: Yeah, absolutely. They are a prolific offense. You see what they can do when Aaron Rodgers is able to stay up. He set some records, some personal bests last year throwing the football, so if you’re able to give those guys time to catch the ball and throw the ball and give some leg room to the running backs, big plays can happen. I’m really excited to get around that type of organization and those type of guys because obviously they are going in the right direction and that’s the type of organization I want to be around, one that’s going up and one that I can learn from.

Q. What advice did Coach give you about taking it to the next level?

BRYAN BULAGA: You know, he didn’t give me too much advice. Besides that, it’s a big game of fundamentals, technique, because every guy is big and strong and fast. It’s the best of the best of college. It really comes down to who plays with the best technique, who really wins, it’s who is the lowest and who plays with the best hand placement. When you get to the next level, where the NFL, it’s all about who can be the most efficient with the technique, I think that’s the one thing that he’s really pounded home to me.

Q. You are known as an outstanding run blocker; do you look forward to playing with Ryan Grant?

BRYAN BULAGA: You know being from the Iowa system, we are really a run?first type team. We really like to run the ball and set up the play action off that. I think I’m going to be able to help out. I love to run block and get after it and he’s a downhill type guy, seeing him run the football on TV, he really likes to get downhill fast, so I’m really looking forward to it and just getting to work, you know. This whole draft thing is drawn out and I’m just ready to get to work and help out any way I can.

Q. Have you talked to the Packers, have they have talked about left or right side?

BRYAN BULAGA: I haven’t heard anything. Once I start working mini?camps and some OTAs and getting a feel where I’m going to fit I’m sure I’m going to find out more.

Q. Some people said you don’t have a great reach but what would you say are your strong points?

BRYAN BULAGA: The great reach, there have been plenty of guys who have been able to play with 33?inch arms, I think is what you’re talking about.

I think when it comes down to it, you have to put it on the tape and watch the guy play football. You can pick and choose on that but it’s a game of technique and it’s whoever plays the most efficient with that, I think is going to help out. I think I do that very well.

I pride myself on being a technician and I think being skilled in that aspect will help me out with my short reach, so to speak. (Laughter). (Editors note: he was hilarious when he said this – really sarcastic)

Q. Have you talked to Shonn Greene?

BRYAN BULAGA: You know, I haven’t ?? I talked to Shonn probably a couple weeks ago. He’s obviously been busy. He’s a big?time guy in this city. Everyone loves him and I still love the guy. He’s a tremendous person and maybe I’ve got a call from him on my phone or something like that, I haven’t been around it. But Shonn is tremendous, I love Shonn.

Q. Talk more about being a cold?weather guy and the division; you must be so jazzed up to be a part of those rivalries now, the Vikings and the Bears.

BRYAN BULAGA: Oh, yeah, absolutely. Growing up, those are the things, you know, in the NFC North that you watch and they hype up so much, those big rivalries. You see how hard they play when those games are going on, “The Black and Blue Division, ” you know what I mean, just going after it.

I’m just so pumped up to be a part of that, and being an Iowa guy and playing in that cold weather in Iowa, it’s cold in Iowa, believe me, when it starts to get cold, it’s cold.

I’m really looking forward to getting into that and just being back in the Midwest and let’s go, let’s go.

Q. When I say Jared Allen, Julius Peppers, and now Suh, what’s the first word that comes to mind?

BRYAN BULAGA: You know, can you even put that into words? That’s hard to put into words, you know what I mean? Scary.

But they are all tremendous, tremendous football players, and it’s going to be a great challenge. You’ve got to go into it being positive and looking forward and wanting to attack it, and then sitting here thinking, oh, man, who wants to go up against those guys. You have to be excited about it and look forward to the challenge. They are tremendous football players but there’s a reason why there’s an offensive line, to block those guys.

It’s going to be tremendous to go up against talent like that. Those are the best of the best right there.

Q. Excited about working with Coach McCarthy?

BRYAN BULAGA: Absolutely. I had a meeting with him at the Combine, and the staff is great. The style of play is very similar to Iowa. So I’m looking forward to making it as easy as a transition as I can.

Obviously it’s not going to be easy, but you know it’s going to help out, that I can recognize maybe some style of play and technique that could help me relate back to Iowa.

Q. When did you think that maybe there was an inkling that Green Bay was going to pick you? Did you think that there was any chance of you going to the Packers before the Draft?

BRYAN BULAGA: You know, I never really thought about kind of where I was going to go. I mean, that was really up to my agent. I thought that, hey, there’s a couple of teams that needed tackles and I thought, you know, depending on the run on them, I can really fall into any one of the slots and I fell into the slots of the Green Bay Packers.

You know, I couldn’t really have told you two months ago, hey, I’m going to end up being in Green Bay or I’m going to end up being here or there. I wouldn’t have known. A lot of trades happened today during the middle of the draft that really mixed up some orders and they just so happened that I wound up as a Green Bay Packer and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Q. Do you think sometimes it might be better to be picked down the Draft and be with a team that has a better chance to win now?

BRYAN BULAGA: Yeah, I think having that potential is all great and being a Top?10 guy, that’s all great, but when you get to go to an organization like Green Bay where they already have a good thing going, they have great tradition and the coaches are great and the players are great; I think it’s going to help me out tremendously being around a system like that, that we have things figured out here and if you jump into the system, they will be able to jump along, too. I’m very happy that that’s where I’m going to be playing.

Maxie the Taxi
04-23-2010, 06:44 AM
This draft is deep, but it isn't deep in elite talent, just above average guys.

Yup.

Fritz
04-23-2010, 06:59 AM
In the reading I've done this morning on the JSO, a couple articles mentioned that Bulaga's stock dropped in the days leading up to the draft. In one article, the reason given was that his arm length was found to be shorter than what people thought.

Did the guy's arms shrink over the last few weeks or something? Is this a viral condition that will result in him having "baby arms" by the time the team hits training camp?

How strange that a guy projected - from what I saw - somewhere between 11 or 12 and 18 should fall suddenly due to a physical measurement that you'd think everybody would have had for quite some time.

pbmax
04-23-2010, 07:42 AM
The reviewers are just getting their timing wrong. Buluga's arm length has been known since the Combine.

The instant analysts over at Pro Football Weekly have a key fact wrong. They list his arms at 32 1/4, which would be shortest in the league at Left Tackle.

But NFL.com lists the combine measurement as 33 1/4.

Joemailman
04-23-2010, 07:55 AM

Most grades I've seen have the Packers as a B or a B+. All with generally the same explaination: The Packers get points for selecting a consensus top 10 pick of a few weeks ago, but there's a reason why his draft stock fell sharply in the crucial days before the draft.

I can't say I disagree with that assessment. Another thing they could have mentioned is that Bulaga isn't likely to be a regular starter for a year or two. But that said, I think Bulaga is going to really impress some people, especially having that year or two to learn the game from 2 outstanding veterans before becoming that regular starter.

The same thing was said about Aaron Rodgers.

vince
04-23-2010, 09:17 AM
"I love it! I'm so happy right now. Green Bay is a great fit for me. Growing up in the Midwest I always admired Green Bay and everything they did, so I'm ecstatic to be a Packer.

I love the cold...Love the cold!"
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/PackersDraftBulagaflv_000185750.jpg

Tony Oday
04-23-2010, 09:20 AM
I still dont think many rookies have a huge impact on a playoff team. That being said I hope Bulaga doesn't see the field this year cause Cliffy is dominate! :)

mission
04-23-2010, 09:31 AM
I still dont think many rookies have a huge impact on a playoff team. That being said I hope Bulaga doesn't see the field this year cause Cliffy is dominate! :)

That's largely because playoff teams are picking in the latter half of the round and most of the immediate impact guys go top 10.

I think by the end of the season, Buluga will be filling in somewhere along the line and playing admirably.

Tony Oday
04-23-2010, 09:36 AM

That's largely because playoff teams are picking in the latter half of the round and most of the immediate impact guys go top 10.

I think by the end of the season, Buluga will be filling in somewhere along the line and playing admirably.

I agree and I hope he doesnt play, save for blowouts, because that means the top 5 are doing well.

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2010, 09:47 AM
They filled a big need with a player that dropped to them. Be excited but really, who gives a shit. If he does his job you won't ever bother with him. but if he screws up you will all have Thompson's head on a platter.

Sparkey
04-23-2010, 09:51 AM
The Iowa Hawkeyes continue to churn out massive offensive lineman and Bryan Bulaga is no exception. Recently named to the Second Team All-American for both the AP and Walter Camp lists.

Bulaga has prototypical size to play either tackle position but it’s his intangibles that make him an elite prospect and not project. Playing in the lunch pail, grind it out style of the Big Ten he’s a heady, driven, full of piss and vinegar type of bookend that will keep his quarterbacks’ jersey clean for 10 years.

A proven recipe for success is building from the inside-out which starts with the trenches. Quick, name an offensive skill player for the Iowa Hawkeyes this year. It’s difficult. Bulaga and his 2010 highly regarded OT prospect Hawkeye teammate and fellow Illinois native, Kyle Calloway, were the two primary reasons Iowa stayed under the radar this season.

The fact is nobody pays much attention to the big fellas opening up lanes and protecting their quarterback in college football. But then again nobody predicted Iowa to finish the regular season ranked #10 either.

Joemailman
04-23-2010, 09:52 AM
They filled a big need with a player that dropped to them. Be excited but really, who gives a shit. If he does his job you won't ever bother with him. but if he screws up you will all have Thompson's head on a platter.

Lighten up Nutz. If he proves to be as good as Clifton, he'll be revered here. People actually do notice how the OL is playing.

Cheesehead Craig
04-23-2010, 09:52 AM
The reviewers are just getting their timing wrong. Buluga's arm length has been known since the Combine.

The instant analysts over at Pro Football Weekly have a key fact wrong. They list his arms at 32 1/4, which would be shortest in the league at Left Tackle.

But NFL.com lists the combine measurement as 33 1/4.
That is misleading. His arm length is fine, he just has huge pecs that make his arms look shorter.

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2010, 09:53 AM
"I love it! I'm so happy right now. Green Bay is a great fit for me. Growing up in the Midwest I always admired Green Bay and everything they did, so I'm ecstatic to be a Packer.

I love the cold...Love the cold!"
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/PackersDraftBulagaflv_000185750.jpg
I am sure that he was a Bear fan growing up.

Joemailman
04-23-2010, 09:54 AM
So was Ray Nitschke.

Packgator
04-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I hope he doesnt play, save for blowouts, because that means the top 5 are doing well.

Unless he's good enough to be one of the top 5 guys right away.

Tony Oday
04-23-2010, 10:10 AM
I hope he doesnt play, save for blowouts, because that means the top 5 are doing well.

THAT would be awesome!

mission
04-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Wasn't IOWA undefeated before their QB got hurt??

Seriously (second time now), this video is great:

The second half of the video is just one play after another. I like him a lot.

mission
04-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Not to mention he's probably 3x the run blocker that Cliffy is TODAY.

Tony Oday
04-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Just heard on KFAN (Twin Cities sports talk) and they are saying Bulaga looks more like a RT...does that bother anyone?

Harlan Huckleby
04-23-2010, 10:28 AM
I love the pick, another hard working midwestern boy, but I would like to see him get all his snaps at LT . I can't imagine that the pack would use a #1 for a RT or guard

Joemailman
04-23-2010, 10:29 AM
His run blocking was better than I realized. The only time I saw Derrick Morgan give him trouble on the pass rush was when he bull-rushed him.

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Just heard on KFAN (Twin Cities sports talk) and they are saying Bulaga looks more like a RT...does that bother anyone?

Not for me. Last year proved you need a good RT too, or your offense will suffer. Plenty of guys drafted in the top half of the first round have turned out to be good RTs. Nothing wrong with it. If he turns into a good LT, then that's even better.

Joemailman
04-23-2010, 11:09 AM
When I see film of some of Bulaga's drills at the combine, he looks less athletic than Willams/Okung/Davis/Campbell. When I watch films of him against Derrick Morgan in the Orange Bowl, I swear I see Chad Clifton. We'll see. Harvey is right though. We found out last year how important RT is.

Cheesehead Craig
04-23-2010, 11:10 AM

Not for me. Last year proved you need a good RT too, or your offense will suffer. Plenty of guys drafted in the top half of the first round have turned out to be good RTs. Nothing wrong with it. If he turns into a good LT, then that's even better.

This is also the same state that thought TJack was a legit QB. Add in they are Viking fans and will downplay whatever we do.

Tony Oday
04-23-2010, 11:13 AM

This is also the same state that thought TJack was a legit QB. Add in they are Viking fans and will downplay whatever we do.

Actually PA said he thinks he is a stud it was a profootballtalk.com guy

Lurker64
04-23-2010, 11:57 AM

He's not. As a two year starter at LT, who has never played RT he can play on the left. People knock him because he doesn't have great feet, but he certainly has good enough feet to play left tackle. So he won't be as pretty to watch as guys like Anthony Davis, Bruce Campbell, or Charles Brown (if those guys get coached up properly) but he'll certainly be effective.

Looking at Green Bay's history with drafting offensive linemen, the guys who have worked out the best for us are guys who came into the league with a lot of experience in college, solid fundamentals, and outstanding work ethics like Lang and Sitton. Bulaga is all of that but he's a much better athelete.

But seriously, go back and watch the 2008 tape on him. He's an NFL left tackle.

Harlan Huckleby
04-23-2010, 12:09 PM
When I see film of some of Bulaga's drills at the combine, he looks less athletic than Willams/Okung/Davis/Campbell. When I watch films of him against Derrick Morgan in the Orange Bowl, I swear I see Chad Clifton. We'll see. Harvey is right though. We found out last year how important RT is.
How many examples are there of teams use a #1 draft pick with the intention of playing the guy at RT? I am no draftnik, but none come to mind.

Freak Out
04-23-2010, 12:13 PM
I was over at NFL.com and found a section that showed "fan moods" about the teams draft so far. Green Bays was amongst the lowest. :lol:

swede
04-23-2010, 12:21 PM
I was over at NFL.com and found a section that showed "fan moods" about the teams draft so far. Green Bays was amongst the lowest. :lol:

But that's not about Bulaga. That's about the Kitties getting Suh and Jahvid Best :(

Pugger
04-23-2010, 12:31 PM

He played LT in college but if he moved to RT that wouldn't be the end of the world. Tauscher is no spring chicken...

Freak Out
04-23-2010, 12:38 PM

But that's not about Bulaga. That's about the Kitties getting Suh and Jahvid Best :(

To the losers go the spoils.

rbaloha1
04-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Another solid TT football player pick. Not sold on Bulaga as an lt. Struggles against speed rushers. Possible guard to offset players like Suh.

Anyone notice TT only drafts white o-linemen? Coincidence?

swede
04-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Another solid TT football player pick. Not sold on Bulaga as an lt. Struggles against speed rushers. Possible guard to offset players like Suh.

That is strange, although it may be that other teams are undervaluing ugly white guys.

Lurker64
04-23-2010, 01:05 PM

Jamon Meredith, Will Whitticker, and Junius Coston aren't white. Breno Giacomini is half-Italian and half-Brazillian, so he's not particularly anglo.

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2010, 01:08 PM
How many examples are there of teams use a #1 draft pick with the intention of playing the guy at RT? I am no draftnik, but none come to mind.

Baltimore drafted a guy in the first round last year, Michael Oher, that they have projected starting at RT in year 2.

Cincinnati drafted a guy in the first round last year, Andre Smith, that they have projected starting at RT in year 2.

St. Louis drafted a guy in the first round last year, Jason Smith, that they have projected starting at RT in year 2.

Jordan Gross played at RT for a few years until eventually moving to LT.

Miami drafted a guy in the first round in 2004, Vernon Carey, who is their starting RT.

San Francisco has a stalwart at LT in Joe Staley. They drafted a guy in the first round this year that will be a RT in Anthony Davis.

Not to mention that Jacksonville and Philadelphia both have starting RTs that were high second round picks.

I don't buy your theory.

rbaloha1
04-23-2010, 01:15 PM

Jamon Meredith, Will Whitticker, and Junius Coston aren't white. Breno Giacomini is half-Italian and half-Brazillian, so he's not particularly anglo.

Lower round scrubs. Majority of TT's picks of 0-line picks are white. Pure coincidence? Al Campanis mentality?

Harlan Huckleby
04-23-2010, 01:17 PM

Baltimore drafted a guy in the first round last year, Michael Oher, that they have projected starting at RT in year 2.

Cincinnati drafted a guy in the first round last year, Andre Smith, that they have projected starting at RT in year 2.

St. Louis drafted a guy in the first round last year, Jason Smith, that they have projected starting at RT in year 2.

Jordan Gross played at RT for a few years until eventually moving to LT.

Miami drafted a guy in the first round in 2004, Vernon Carey, who is their starting RT.

San Francisco has a stalwart at LT in Joe Staley. They drafted a guy in the first round this year that will be a RT in Anthony Davis.

Not to mention that Jacksonville and Philadelphia both have starting RTs that were high second round picks.

I don't buy your theory.

Are you saying all those guys were projected to play RT BEFORE they were drafted?

Tony Oday
04-23-2010, 01:18 PM

Lower round scrubs. Majority of TT's picks of 0-line picks are white. Pure coincidence? Al Campanis mentality?

and he finds top black WR, LBs, and DBs...what the hell are you trying to stir up?

rbaloha1
04-23-2010, 01:23 PM

and he finds top black WR, LBs, and DBs...what the hell are you trying to stir up?

WR and DB almost exclusively black. LB -- Hawk -- overrated, Matthews -- legit, Poppinga -- horrible, Chillar -- okay

Joemailman
04-23-2010, 01:27 PM

Pretty much coincidence. TT can't control who falls to him. If Anthony Davis had fallen instead of Bulaga, who's to say he wouldn't have taken Davis?

Fred's Slacks
04-23-2010, 01:28 PM

This is ridiculous. In his 6 drafts, he's picked 2 lineman in the 2nd round or higher. Yes, they were both white. What's the point?

pbmax
04-23-2010, 01:29 PM

Floyd Womack. Dennis Norman. Wayne Hunter. Sean Locklear.

The problem isn't Thompson. Its the small sample size.

Tony Oday
04-23-2010, 01:29 PM

WR and DB almost exclusively black. LB -- Hawk -- overrated, Matthews -- legit, Poppinga -- horrible, Chillar -- okay

Again what are you trying to say here. I dont think TT gives a rats ass about what color a guy is he cares if he can play football.

pbmax
04-23-2010, 01:32 PM

You are just cherry picking data points to fit your hypothesis. Have you heard of Brad Jones? Does Cyril Obiozor look Anglo-Saxon to you?

Fred's Slacks
04-23-2010, 01:37 PM

He's not. As a two year starter at LT, who has never played RT he can play on the left. People knock him because he doesn't have great feet, but he certainly has good enough feet to play left tackle. So he won't be as pretty to watch as guys like Anthony Davis, Bruce Campbell, or Charles Brown (if those guys get coached up properly) but he'll certainly be effective.

Looking at Green Bay's history with drafting offensive linemen, the guys who have worked out the best for us are guys who came into the league with a lot of experience in college, solid fundamentals, and outstanding work ethics like Lang and Sitton. Bulaga is all of that but he's a much better athelete.

Amen Lurker. Bulaga was one of the first players I researched months ago and I have had him as the 2nd best LT prospect since that time. Never changed. The guy has the athletism and the mentality to be a LT. Yes his length isn't elite but there are plenty of other guys who make it work at a high level. Most importantly, he's not a project. Our coaching staff has shown an inability to turn projects into players (Coston, Barbre, Moll, Giaco). But we can take high character tough guys who have the right mind set, skill set and experience and plug them in and let them go (Spitz, Sitton, Lang). Not much of a testament to our coaching staff, but that's the way it is.

Tony Oday
04-23-2010, 01:42 PM

Amen Lurker. Bulaga was one of the first players I researched months ago and I have had him as the 2nd best LT prospect since that time. Never changed. The guy has the athletism and the mentality to be a LT. Yes his length isn't elite but there are plenty of other guys who make it work at a high level. Most importantly, he's not a project. Our coaching staff has shown an inability to turn projects into players (Coston, Barbre, Moll, Giaco). But we can take high character tough guys who have the right mind set, skill set and experience and plug them in and let them go (Spitz, Sitton, Lang). Not much of a testament to our coaching staff, but that's the way it is.

great, I know nothing about grading Linemen...never played the position, except three plays as an emergency Center in HS...only played in teh secondary and WR :)

Lurker64
04-23-2010, 01:45 PM

Chillar is Indian (dot, not feather), not white.

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2010, 02:23 PM

Lighten up Nutz. If he proves to be as good as Clifton, he'll be revered here. People actually do notice how the OL is playing.

Sure, when they give up 3 sacks against Jared Allen you notice. Then you will bitch about Thompson, trust me, everyone loves Thompson on draft day, well except when he drafted Harrell, but many bought into that as well.

I have finally stepped out of the Packer Fan Box and see you all for what you really are, complainers and moaner for the better part of the year, and when draft day comes it is like a ray of sunshine on a dogs ass. Then you will be happy for about a month, at least through OTAs, then you will start bitching when Thompson has trouble signing his draft picks.

GoPackGo
04-23-2010, 02:30 PM

Sure, when they give up 3 sacks against Jared Allen you notice. Then you will bitch about Thompson, trust me, everyone loves Thompson on draft day, well except when he drafted Harrell, but many bought into that as well.

I have finally stepped out of the Packer Fan Box and see you all for what you really are, complainers and moaner for the better part of the year, and when draft day comes it is like a ray of sunshine on a dogs ass. Then you will be happy for about a month, at least through OTAs, then you will start bitching when Thompson has trouble signing his draft picks.

hilarious. I'm glad I stopped by

Joemailman
04-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Brian Bulaga authentic jersey available at the Packer Pro Shop. #75. Ryan Pickett has his college number of 79.

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Brian Bulaga authentic jersey available at the Packer Pro Shop. #75. Ryan Pickett has his college number of 79.

Hopefully they get a half dozen or so, don't want to be sold out in only a month.

Lurker64
04-23-2010, 03:51 PM
I think that really the only thing that can be made of the "Thompson racial angle" is that the Packers Scouting department obviously takes into account "how will this guy mesh with the culture of Green Bay and the Packers" when evaluating prospects, which is probably a lesson learned from the Terrell Buckley debacle.

It makes sense too. Guys who are going to like it in Green Bay are more likely to stay, and guys who are more likely to stay are better uses of high picks. The city of Green Bay is not particularly multicultural, and doesn't have much in the way of night life, so it's not for everybody. But really, despite the fact that Green Bay is pretty white, doesn't mean that black guys can't love it there too. It's just that they'll probably have better luck with a kid that was raised by preachers (Raji) than a kid who obviously thinks of himself as a star (Crabtree).

rbaloha1
04-23-2010, 04:10 PM
I think that really the only thing that can be made of the "Thompson racial angle" is that the Packers Scouting department obviously takes into account "how will this guy mesh with the culture of Green Bay and the Packers" when evaluating prospects, which is probably a lesson learned from the Terrell Buckley debacle.

It makes sense too. Guys who are going to like it in Green Bay are more likely to stay, and guys who are more likely to stay are better uses of high picks. The city of Green Bay is not particularly multicultural, and doesn't have much in the way of night life, so it's not for everybody. But really, despite the fact that Green Bay is pretty white, doesn't mean that black guys can't love it there too. It's just that they'll probably have better luck with a kid that was raised by preachers (Raji) than a kid who obviously thinks of himself as a star (Crabtree).

Valid point. BTW Chillar is part white (mother). Brenco (Italian name) is also white as many Brazilians are Portuguese.

The other black lbs mentioned are low round and a free agent.

Okay pure coincidence TT generally selects white o-linemen and the population for o-linemen is white just like dbs and wrs have a high population of black athletes. Makes perfect sense.

Bossman641
04-23-2010, 04:18 PM

By stepped out of the packer fan box do you mean started cheering for the vikings instead of the packers? Glad you are so much more enlightened than all of us.

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2010, 07:07 PM

By stepped out of the packer fan box do you mean started cheering for the vikings instead of the packers? Glad you are so much more enlightened than all of us.

Not really, just because I follow Favre and his career doesn't mean I am a die hard Viking fan, I couldn't tell you their needs for the 2010 draft. I am sick of living and dying with every stupid move an NFL franchise makes.

pbmax
04-23-2010, 07:50 PM
... then you will start bitching when Thompson has trouble signing his draft picks.
What are you talking about?

Tony Oday
04-23-2010, 08:21 PM
I never cared about what a Viking Fan said.

falco
04-23-2010, 08:28 PM
... then you will start bitching when Thompson has trouble signing his draft picks.
What are you talking about?

When you figure out, let me know...

Gunakor
04-24-2010, 08:51 AM

The same thing was said about Aaron Rodgers.

I know. My entire post could be said about Aaron Rodgers. Bulaga having a year or two to learn behind Clifton and Tauscher, who knows what this kid's ceiling is. By his 5th year in the league he could be the starting LT for the NFC Pro Bowl squad - assuming Green Bay isn't playing in the Super Bowl that year. Let's hope fate will tell the same story about Bulaga that it does about Rodgers, and that 20 years from now we can view both of their busts in Canton.

Gunakor
04-24-2010, 08:54 AM

THAT would be awesome!

It most certainly would. We'd have the most expensive backup OT in the league, and it wouldn't bother me one bit.

That said, it's going to take a helluva lot for Bulaga to unseat either Clifton or Tauscher for a starting job if they're healthy heading into preseason. The greybeards are pretty good, and I'm just as glad that we have them as I am that we drafted one of their replacements.

Gunakor
04-24-2010, 08:55 AM

No. We need one of those too.

Joemailman
05-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Maybe the Brewers should have drafted Bulaga.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100515/PKR01/100515026/1058/PKR01/Bulaga-cranks-out-14-homers-at-Brewers-batting-practice

swede
05-15-2010, 05:24 PM

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100515/PKR01/100515026/1058/PKR01/Bulaga-cranks-out-14-homers-at-Brewers-batting-practice

That shows some pretty amazing athleticism. You have to uncork the whole package with pretty good timing to jack 14 in one BP. I'm impressed.

not that it means much else other than the packer softball teams just got tougher to beat.

Bretsky
05-15-2010, 06:52 PM

SUPPAN must have been pitching

Joemailman
05-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Bulaga has confirmed he will be participating in the Donald Driver Charity Softball game.
http://packers.football-news-update.com/tag/charity-softball-game/

rbaloha1
05-15-2010, 09:06 PM

That shows some pretty amazing athleticism. You have to uncork the whole package with pretty good timing to jack 14 in one BP. I'm impressed.

not that it means much else other than the packer softball teams just got tougher to beat.

Reminds of Joey Meyer.

rbaloha1
05-15-2010, 09:07 PM

No. We need one of those too.

Maybe Lang is the future lt and Bulaga the future rt.

Deputy Nutz
05-15-2010, 09:43 PM

This really pissed Ken Macha off, he is sick of Packers getting all the attention at Miller Park, he wants to kick field goals at Lambeau during pre game

Lurker64
05-15-2010, 10:36 PM

This really pissed Ken Macha off, he is sick of Packers getting all the attention at Miller Park, he wants to kick field goals at Lambeau during pre game

I think baseball people just need to get over the fact that football is the unquestioned ruler of American Sports these days. It's bigger than baseball, and it's going to get more attention, particularly in markets where the football team is relatively more successful than the baseball team (admittedly, you get 12/32 teams in the football playoffs, versus 8/30). Plus, there are at least 81 games at Miller Park this year, anything that makes one different from all the others is going to get covered at least a little.

It's not that people don't like and/or appreciate baseball, it's just that football is king.

Tarlam!
05-16-2010, 08:44 AM
t's just that football is king.

Very true, but it reminds me that a few Rats also have an eye on the upcoming Soccer World Cup in RSA.

USA AND Australia have qualified - yet again! We need a World Cup thread and I believe Harvey usually starts it.....

Joemailman
05-16-2010, 10:56 AM
t's just that football is king.

Very true, but it reminds me that a few Rats also have an eye on the upcoming Soccer World Cup in RSA.

USA AND Australia have qualified - yet again! We need a World Cup thread and I believe Harvey usually starts it.....

Freak Out.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=20578

Tarlam!
05-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks Joe! :alc:

Bretsky
05-16-2010, 01:25 PM
HEY, DOES ANYBODY know actually where this event is held ?

It says Grand Chute, WI at the Time Warner Field.

WHERE is this ? Near Appleton or Green Bay ??????

Anybody ever attended or going ????

DannoMac21
05-16-2010, 01:26 PM
He's a big boy. I work for the Milwaukee Iron and he was there for our game on Friday. He was interviewed by 1250 WSSP in the Bradley Center plaza about 3 1/2 hours before the game. No one was in the arena yet and I was setting up stuff in the lobby so I just sat and watched his interview. Great guy, answered all the questions well. He's huge. Had two fine girls with him. Get em big man.

Guiness
05-16-2010, 01:50 PM
glad to hear of the athleticism, obvious strength and power, but am I the only one that gets worried hearing about this sort of stuff?

Hitting those shots takes big power. A lot of baseball players have bad lower backs from taking big cuts and missing. The thought of Baluga going for the fences, missing the ball and wrenching his back scares me.

Remember Jose Conseco pitching in relief, and ending his season?

Packgator
05-16-2010, 02:04 PM
glad to hear of the athleticism, obvious strength and power, but am I the only one that gets worried hearing about this sort of stuff? The thought of Baluga going for the fences, missing the ball and wrenching his back scares me.

At 21 years old it probably isn't a factor. At least I hope not.

swede
05-16-2010, 02:44 PM
HEY, DOES ANYBODY know actually where this event is held ?

It says Grand Chute, WI at the Time Warner Field.

WHERE is this ? Near Appleton or Green Bay ??????

Anybody ever attended or going ????

Grand Chute is directly connected to Appleton's north and west side. Time Warner field is where the Appleton Timber Rattler's play. From points south, take the Wisconsin Avenue exit from Highway 41 South. Turn left, and then a right on Casaloma if memory serves.

swede
05-16-2010, 02:46 PM
glad to hear of the athleticism, obvious strength and power, but am I the only one that gets worried hearing about this sort of stuff?

If he was that much of a pussy he'd BE a baseball player. I heard one of the Brewers threw out his back on a checked swing. :roll:

Guiness
05-17-2010, 02:42 PM

If he was that much of a pussy he'd BE a baseball player. I heard one of the Brewers threw out his back on a checked swing. :roll:

Hey, it's no joke. When you swing from the heels, and don't connect there's some major stress on your back. Think those MLB players are out of shape beer leaguers and that's why they get hurt?

I'd be curious to know the force required to pound the ball that far. When you miss, all that energy is going to be absorbed somewhere.