PDA

View Full Version : A poll on Bulaga's role

RashanGary
04-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Use your opinion of how ready he is. I know how he fits in will play a huge role, but for now, let's just project what we think his best place is going to be, in our opinions.

vince
04-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Make Bulaga the swing backup tackle and move Lang to his best position, LG. Have Spitz compete at Center. Unless we pick up another strong tackle prospect that would allow Bulaga to lock into LT only.

ND72
04-23-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm really unsure what to do, I would play him at RT personally, but I've read good things about him possibly at Guard...I'm just not big on moving guys around.

pbmax
04-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Thompson said he will work at tackle at his press conference and the coaches will decide Right or Left. I would prefer staying at one tackle spot. Next choice would be to work at both tackles. The Packers do not need another guard to rotate in.

RashanGary
04-23-2010, 08:50 AM
I want him to backup LT and LT only. He's our only good bet to play well if Clifton goes down. I'd rather see him work at his LT craft all offseason than bounce him around and have him useless at all positions.

I feel pretty good about Lang as a backup LG and RT. He's been around enough to backup two spots. LT, being so important and Bulaga being so young, I'd like to see him work only there. Chances are, he's going to get called into action and if he's spread to thin he'll probably fail and we will probably lose because of it.

vince
04-23-2010, 09:59 AM
I agree that LT only is the best case, but I think Bulaga will be a better RT next year, if needed, than Lang. With Bulaga on board, I think Lang is your starting LG in the best case - at least my best case anyway. And I think McCarthy believes the same thing.

Now we need to get another tackle who can be a dedicated right sider so Bulaga can focus on the left side.

That seems to be a lot to ask to get two future starting tackles in one draft, but that's what we did in 2000, so I think Ted can get it done too.

Harlan Huckleby
04-23-2010, 10:33 AM
I agree that LT only is the best case, but I think Bulaga will be a better RT next year, if needed, than Lang. . You really don't want a rookie to start. Whatever the configuration, you need good backups at both LT and RT to be ready when old guys' rhumatism or rickets act up. Best bet is to keep working Bulaga at LT and play him only if and when Clifton gets an owie. Clifton always has considerable down time, Bulaga will get LT experience both in practice and games.

mission
04-23-2010, 10:35 AM
I agree that LT only is the best case, but I think Bulaga will be a better RT next year, if needed, than Lang. . You really don't want a rookie to play. Whatever the configuration, you need good backups at both LT and RT to be ready when the very old guys go down. Best bet is to keep working Bulaga at LT and play him only if and when Clifton gets an owie.

I agree with the majority that we don't want guys being swapped all over the place but I have hard time believing Buluga is not one of our top 5 best offensive lineman right now.

Joemailman
04-23-2010, 10:37 AM
I agree that LT only is the best case, but I think Bulaga will be a better RT next year, if needed, than Lang. With Bulaga on board, I think Lang is your starting LG in the best case - at least my best case anyway. And I think McCarthy believes the same thing.

Now we need to get another tackle who can be a dedicated right sider so Bulaga can focus on the left side.

That seems to be a lot to ask to get two future starting tackles in one draft, but that's what we did in 2000, so I think Ted can get it done too.

Are you assuming that Giacomini is not seen as that guy at RT? I haven't been able to figure out how the Packers see him, although I get the sense that TT likes him more than Philbin does.

Harlan Huckleby
04-23-2010, 10:37 AM
I have hard time believing Buluga is not one of our top 5 best offensive lineman right now. Maybe, but the need to develop a replacement/backup LT is a uniquely high priority, maybe more important than the best-5 rule.

vince
04-23-2010, 10:41 AM
I agree that LT only is the best case, but I think Bulaga will be a better RT next year, if needed, than Lang. . You really don't want a rookie to start. Whatever the configuration, you need good backups at both LT and RT to be ready when old guys' rhumatism or rickets act up. Best bet is to keep working Bulaga at LT and play him only if and when Clifton gets an owie. Clifton always has considerable down time, Bulaga will get LT experience both in practice and games.Tauscher is the starting RT in my opinion, unless/until injury occurs to one of the vet tackles and/or it proves to be impossible to keep Bulaga on the bench through his stellar performance as Mission is eluding to or the decline of one of the vets. I'm all for getting another tackle that can back-up Tausch, and maybe that's Lang, but I want Lang starting now at LG.

vince
04-23-2010, 10:55 AM

Are you assuming that Giacomini is not seen as that guy at RT? I haven't been able to figure out how the Packers see him, although I get the sense that TT likes him more than Philbin does.
Yes. I don't think Giaco is going to cut the mustard. I'd be happy to be wrong, but his lack of ability to even be activated last year, given the problems we had does not seem to bode well for him. He needed some time to get healthy early, and I think they had reason to give him some more time at that point. But his lack of development, as evidenced by his inability to even be activated throughout the year once healthy is condemning.

Maybe its premature to write him off, but at this point, I'm more confident in the imperfect scenario of Bulaga swinging over to RT in the event Tauscher goes down or doesn't perform than having a guy who couldn't even sniff his pads on game day much less actually push Barbre for playing time last year.

He'll get a chance this training camp, but it's his last shot and I don't think he'll stick, so I hope another guy is brought in who will.

Brohm
04-23-2010, 11:25 AM
I'd say get as many reps as possible at LT and see what he is made of. I would guess Clffy will be only doing one practice a day anyways. We have plenty of bodies/options to sort through at RT and LG.

RashanGary
04-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Lang can start at LG. Colledge could back up RT and LG. Buluga could be LT only.

In most cases I want the best 5, and I agree Buluga could probably be better than Tausch, but LT is so awfully important and Clifton is old. We would be wise to groom Buluga for that all important position instead of risking disaster just so we can get Buluga on the field earlier.

This pick, like any draft pick, is made with the big picture in mind, not just one day ahead. In the big picture, the Packers benefit more by preparing Buluga to play the 2nd most important position of offense than they do getting him on the field at one of the least important positions early.

swede
04-23-2010, 12:13 PM
I agree that LT only is the best case, but I think Bulaga will be a better RT next year, if needed, than Lang. . You really don't want a rookie to play. Whatever the configuration, you need good backups at both LT and RT to be ready when the very old guys go down. Best bet is to keep working Bulaga at LT and play him only if and when Clifton gets an owie.

I agree with the majority that we don't want guys being swapped all over the place but I have hard time believing Buluga is not one of our top 5 best offensive lineman right now.

You are right, no doubt, but LT is a big deal for the long-term future of the team. He is being groomed. Backing up Clifton will give a kid many snaps in practice and a number of snaps in games. Let's have him ready.

rbaloha1
04-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Voted BB as a guard. More comfortable if TT took a pure lt prospect.

Lurker64
04-23-2010, 01:12 PM
He should be groomed at tackle exclusively. He's got tackle feet, so no reason to turn him into a guard. Left or right side, it doesn't really matter right now, so long as he eventually ends up on the left.

mission
04-23-2010, 01:34 PM

We drafted Bryan Bulaga not Mike Iupati...

Not sure where all this guard talk is coming from besides talk about maybe getting him on the field earlier. He's not a guard at all. How could he be? Cracking me up man come on

Lurker64
04-23-2010, 02:01 PM

We drafted Bryan Bulaga not Mike Iupati...

Not sure where all this guard talk is coming from besides talk about maybe getting him on the field earlier. He's not a guard at all. How could he be? Cracking me up man come on

I think people are standing on their heads and mistaking his floor (starting caliber left guard) for his ceiling (pro bowl left tackle).

RashanGary
04-23-2010, 02:02 PM
He should be groomed at tackle exclusively. He's got tackle feet, so no reason to turn him into a guard. Left or right side, it doesn't really matter right now, so long as he eventually ends up on the left.

We need him on the left side right now. Playing him on the right side, with the attitude that "IF" we need him on the left, he can just switch. I don't like that at all. Not for that position.

Gunakor
04-24-2010, 09:56 AM

I agree that he may be one of our top 5 linemen. But I don't know if playing him at guard would make up our best alignment up front. It's about having the best offensive line, not having the best offensive linemen.

Brohm
04-24-2010, 09:59 AM
After the LT/LG fiasco with Colledge (built a body type for LG play then asked to sub at LT), LT for Bulaga. Hopefully Colldge can get back up to snuff at LG.

Bretsky
04-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Get him ready at tackle and if it's clear he should be starting start him at Guard

Gunakor
04-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Get him ready at tackle and if it's clear he should be starting start him at Guard

And turn him into the next Daryn Colledge...

He's a tackle. He needs practice as a tackle. He needs to learn as a tackle. A tackle is not a guard, so no matter how good an offensive lineman is he should not be coached at 2 entirely different OL positions. If he's a future long term tackle it makes no sense to confuse him by teaching him something entirely different. Even if our interior line suffers this season because of it, it makes absolutely no sense to me.