PDA

View Full Version : Favre struggles with turnovers

GoPackGo
08-01-2006, 05:46 PM
courtesy of fanball.com

THE NEWS
After throwing 29 interceptions last season, Packers quarterback Brett Favre threw five picks during practice on Monday. "No, that's not acceptable," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. "And let me tell you, we're going to get it corrected." Cornerback Charles Woodson picked off three of the five errant passes.

Our View
Head coach Mike McCarthy attributed the picks to Favre throwing over the middle late. It's just one practice so we're not going to spend too much time worrying about it, but we'll let you know if the interceptions continue to be an issue.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2006, 06:10 PM
This has been discussed in many other threads.

4and12to12and4
08-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Well, I've got to say, after watching NFL Network, they showed MM questioning Brett about a pass that he thought he should've thrown and he didn't and he made Brett acountable to him. He talks to Brett after every single throw. And the great thing about what Sherman is doing is making the guys watch the film between practices. I'm sure he will be in Brett's ear all camp long. MM seems like a no nonsense, get it done or you're gonna feel my wrath type of a coach.
He's very intense out there, and keeps the player's heads in the game!

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2006, 06:19 PM
He talks to Brett after every single throw. And the great thing about what Sherman is doing is making the guys watch the film between practices.

McCarthy. Not Sherman. Don't screw that up again.
:D

CyclonePackFan
08-01-2006, 06:27 PM
While this has probably been said wherever we discussed Favre's turnovers before, I'm too lazy to look, so I'm just gonna say it anyway.

Gotta remember, Favre's throwing to a completely different group of receivers than last year. Learning timing between QB/WR requires patience and practice. I mean, seriously, how many of his targets are left over from last year? Driver, Ferguson, Franks, Lee, and Martin (2WR 3TE), am I forgetting anybody else? Jennings, Boerigter, Gardner, and Rodgers are all new.

Frankly, I'd rather have him make his mistakes now, anyway.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Brief rundown: 5 interceptions isn't acceptable, but he had zero in the other practices, it's early in camp, and three of these were in 7-on-7 drills. Those things always end up having more picks. I like how McCarthy and Jags responded though. I think they'll be on Brett's ass, and I think that will make him a better player this year. Brett has always done well with tough coaching.

4and12to12and4
08-01-2006, 06:37 PM
I wonder how many different offensive plays they are practicing right now. I guess what I'm getting at is, is it possible that the defense has an advantage of knowing where the receiver is going due to a conservative amount of diversified play-calling? Especially an experienced guy like Woodson? I know on one of his interceptions that he sat in a spot and ran over in front of Fergy on a sideline throw. Did he know the route was coming? Just a thought.

Lare
08-01-2006, 06:41 PM
"No, that's not acceptable," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. "And let me tell you, we're going to get it corrected."

Wow, I just had a Ray Rhodes/Mike Sherman flashback. I wonder if Jags was chewing gum or a pencil when he said that.

Oscar
08-01-2006, 06:51 PM
I don't know what you expect these guys to say...... If theres a problem you say we will???? Fix it... Correct it...Make adjustments....Cut the fuc^er... Gee, I don't know what to do what do think?....It's the first full week of TC. I'm gonna give these guys a few more days to gel. Both players and coaches..

CaliforniaCheez
08-01-2006, 06:53 PM
1) Brett is human and has bad days at work like everyone else.
2) no one has explained the drill(s) so as to put the picks in perspective.
Some drills do favor offense or defense depending on what the coach is looking at.
3) The personal participating in each of the five.

23 of the 29 interceptions occurred last season when the Packers were behind with the majority in the fourth quarter.

Some people just look at the world only in cliche's.

Rastak
08-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Brief rundown: 5 interceptions isn't acceptable, but he had zero in the other practices, it's early in camp, and three of these were in 7-on-7 drills. Those things always end up having more picks. I like how McCarthy and Jags responded though. I think they'll be on Brett's ass, and I think that will make him a better player this year. Brett has always done well with tough coaching.

As Alan Iverson said once..."hey man, it's practice". If he starts tossing 'em up in preseason feel free to panic but not before.

MadtownPacker
08-01-2006, 08:32 PM
Why is anyone surprised Favre went on an INT binge? Hasnt he always had n a off week or 2 during the season?

b bulldog
08-01-2006, 09:21 PM
As much as I get on Brett for his ints, I think this is a bit premature to go nuts over. It is still early, come week three of the preseason and he is still winging them all over the place, than the point will be valid.

Bretsky
08-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Defending Favre ???

OMG, who stole the real bulldog ??? :mrgreen:

b bulldog
08-01-2006, 09:46 PM
I do think Brett's age is really catching up with him although it is a bit premature to hit the panic button. I do hope that Rodgers gets some playing time in a meaningful situation this year.

Mazzin
08-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Honestly, don't know if this is accurate at all but saying it makes me get a warm fuzzy feeling. "Maybe Favre is just throwing it up to see what recievers want it the most, it is just mini camp for godsake"

Reason for " " was because someone, dont remember who but said something to that affect, but it makes me feel like he is just testing the wind in his sails before he takes off flying. :cool:

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Five picks in an early practise in TC, in +100 F heat, on drills where the "D" has an idea whats going down. . . .yauunnnn.

I'd just call that a good day for the "D' in those drills.

Joemailman
08-01-2006, 10:32 PM
So Favre had 5 turnovers. Big deal.

http://www.elhornitobakery.com/images/scones.gif :mrgreen:

Packers4Ever
08-01-2006, 10:55 PM
What the heck?? If Peyton Manning or Tom Brady had thrown

5 picks in practice, the sports reporters would all be saying

"well, after all, let's not...blah blah" or "well it's still very

early, plenty of time, blah blah...."

Can't you just hear them? :roll:

cpk1994
08-02-2006, 11:54 AM
"No, that's not acceptable," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. "And let me tell you, we're going to get it corrected."

Wow, I just had a Ray Rhodes/Mike Sherman flashback. I wonder if Jags was chewing gum or a pencil when he said that.

Make sure ihe doesn't have a pencil in his ear either. :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 01:24 PM

Joe, I have used this joke 2 or 3 times in the past, and there is zero evidence that it got a laugh. Maybe you were quietly chuckling all along.

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 01:29 PM

Joe, I have used this joke 2 or 3 times in the past, and there is zero evidence that it got a laugh. Maybe you were quietly chuckling all along.

Harlan?

Were Favre's Picks turnover's (picks) all with the shape on the ball as the shape on those goodies?

Harlan? Is S Nick Collins in TC ?

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Woody, I'm sorry you didn't get the sad news. Nick Collins was badly crumpled in an auto accident involving Ryan Pickett. His career is in jeopardy, but silver lining is he's suing for $50M.

GoPackGo
08-02-2006, 01:48 PM
IMO this short training camp story doesn't mean anything. Training camp is for getting the rust off right?

the_idle_threat
08-02-2006, 04:23 PM

This is the first time I've seen it. :D Sorry Harlan, Joe has ripped off your joke and has made it his own!

My question is ... if Favre had 5 turnovers, how many did Pickett have?