PDA

View Full Version : NFC North Draft So Far

Fritz
04-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Well, what are your impressions so far regarding the Packers' counterparts in the NFC North?

It looks like Minny is stockpiling picks. Toby Gerhart - interesting pick. Chris Cook - I think lots of folks like him.

Detroit - Suh - an obvious yes. Best - traded up to get him, but time will tell if he's worth it. Spievey - don't know much about him, he's supposedly physical.

Chicago - loved their first round pick! The rest seems a typical Chicago draft - lots of bodies nobody knows. But maybe some of you know the players better than I do.

What do you all think?

vince
04-24-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm a big fan of the Lions' draft. Suh would make anyone's draft look good though.

Maxie the Taxi
04-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Don't forget Detroit got Best.

The competition is better, especially in the running game.

Detroit had to improve.

Fritz
04-24-2010, 10:49 AM
If Matt Millen was still running that show, they'd have taken Dez Bryant #2 overall.

Bretsky
04-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Lions have done a great job

What Detroit and Seattle has done really sticks out

mngolf19
04-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Det looks very good.

Chi looks awful.

Pack look ok.

Vikes I'm happy with. also excited to see who they get in Undrafted FA's. They always hit that heavy.

wist43
04-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Detroit got better...

GB's draft??? ick :roll:

Bretsky
04-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Detroit got better...

why don't you like the draft ?

too much future and not enough today ?

We probably replaced Bigby

Maxie the Taxi
04-24-2010, 04:07 PM
I gotta say I really like this Packer draft. Way better than I projected or could do.

We got high rated offensive and defensive linemen. A high-rated safety. A promising TE to keep pressure on Findley. We improved our pass rush quite a bit, not only by the people we drafted, but -- it seems now -- when we give starters a breather we won't lose a hell of a lot.

Capers is excited, I betcha.

wist43
04-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Detroit got better...

why don't you like the draft ?

too much future and not enough today ?

We probably replaced Bigby

Of all the picks... I like the Burnett pick the most.

Fills a hole, has upside, looks the part... if he pans out, the pick makes us better.

I don't mind the Bulaga pick... and haven't complained about it - OT's take a year or two to step in and hopefully be invisible. But I am a bit "squimish" about Bulaga... those short arms scare me.

But TT took players at positions of strength which don't come due for another year or two... TE??? we already have Finley and Lee; Neal and Wilson??? sure, they replace Jolly and/or Jenkins in a year or 2, but as I said before, that simply maintains the status quo of a deficient defense.

How do those picks make us better??? They just maintain the status quo at positions of existing strength. Even if they all turn out to be good players - again, it just keeps us the same if we're lucky.

As TT has said... he doesn't care about position, and if he's doing his job draft after draft, the improvement will always come from within with players drafted a year or 2 previous... but there are obvious holes on this roster this year, and TT didn't do much to help out an average defense.

mmmdk
04-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Don't sweat those short Bulaga arms...he's half man, half raptor (think short arms). That's a comfort :jig:

Lurker64
04-24-2010, 04:55 PM
But I am a bit "squimish" about Bulaga... those short arms scare me.

Did you know that Bulaga's arms are 1/2" longer than Jake Long's (#1 overall pick in 2008) and 3/4 " longer than Joe Thomas's (#3 overall pick in 2007), while only 1/4" shorter than Michael Oher's (#23 overall pick in 2009).

wist43
04-24-2010, 05:08 PM
But I am a bit "squimish" about Bulaga... those short arms scare me.

Did you know that Bulaga's arms are 1/2" longer than Jake Long's (#1 overall pick in 2008) and 3/4 " longer than Joe Thomas's (#3 overall pick in 2007), while only 1/4" shorter than Michael Oher's (#23 overall pick in 2009).

Before we ever drafted him... first time I ever laid eyes on him, my immediate thought was "short arms"... just jumped out at me.

That is a big problem for LT's... maybe some guys can find a way to excel with that limitation, but it sure can't help.

Bretsky
04-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Honestly, the second round pick was the only one I was not fond of. That's where they could have did some damage with a pass rusher

RashanGary
04-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Honestly, the second round pick was the only one I was not fond of. That's where they could have did some damage with a pass rusher

Yeah. If he turns into the next Cullen Jenkins, I don't think we look back and mind it, but just as far as hoping to fill the CB or OLB depth concerns, it was the pick that we probably could have done it with.

I'm not nearly as worried about the pass rush as you guys. We were 8th in the league and Matthews/Jones are only going to get better along with the new pass rushing DL we got and Raji improving. I think it's going to be better and was pretty good anyway.

wist43
04-24-2010, 05:32 PM

Yeah. If he turns into the next Cullen Jenkins, I don't think we look back and mind it, but just as far as hoping to fill the CB or OLB depth concerns, it was the pick that we probably could have done it with.

I'm not nearly as worried about the pass rush as you guys. We were 8th in the league and Matthews/Jones are only going to get better along with the new pass rushing DL we got and Raji improving. I think it's going to be better and was pretty good anyway.

We've all had these arguments before about GB's defensive rankings from last year - they are a mirage. Watch the Arizona game, that's the reality - disgusting :shock:

And if he does turn into Cullen Jenkins, great... but why not just keep Jenkins and Jolly, and move up or down in the draft to flesh out deficient areas of your defense??? Was Quarless the ONLY player worthy of drafting in that spot??? Maybe we can convert him to OLB??? As discussed elsewhere, Neal steps into a position in which he'll play as part of a rotation, but he's not going to be any better than what we already have.

I'm liking the Burnett pick, but really... Burnett is the only draft pick that you can point to, and say maybe this guy can step in and make the Packers better this year.

The Packers are certainly not a better football team this year b/c of this draft... hopefully they'll be better in a few years b/c of this draft, but that's always the argument about TT isn't it???

Pay me later GM.