PDA

View Full Version : Official UDFA Thread

Lurker64
04-24-2010, 04:14 PM
With Mr. Irrelevant in the books, it's UDFA time!

Thompson said in his presser that they were going to go hard after some people, and we've landed some good ones via UDFA before (Cullen Jenkins, Tramon Williams, for example.)

Expect a bunch of WRs, LBs, and DBs.

mission
04-24-2010, 04:25 PM
This may be where all the visits we had come into play...

Lurker64
04-24-2010, 04:26 PM
If there's anybody particular that you're wondering where they go, or hoping the Packers pick, this is a good site to reload compulsively:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/p/2010-nfl-undrafted-free-agents.html

green_bowl_packer
04-24-2010, 04:41 PM
This may be where all the visits we had come into play...

This was the JSO list of visiting prospects minus the guys the guys who got picked. When I was double checking a lot of these guys weren't even listed as prospects on nfl.com. Of the guys on this list I want Vuna T. as a special teams mad man, and maybe developmental OLB. I base this completely on his youtube clip.

Antonio Robinson, WR, Nicholls State (6-1, 196, 4.54, DNP, DNP): Junior college transfer, played two seasons at Nicholls. Averaged 21.1 yards per catch and 10.4 yards per carry in the team's triple-option offense. Reportedly ran in the 4.4s at pro day. Will be considered for returns. Possible late-round pick.

Nick McDonald, OL, Grand Valley State (6-4, 306, 5.21, 27, 27): A first-team Division II all-American at left tackle last season who has been drawing interest after a solid pro day workout. Played right guard his junior year. Mother died when he was 14, and father abandoned him and three siblings, who were forced to split up. Nearly drank himself off the team as a freshman but grew up and has said he'll join the Marines if an NFL career doesn't work out. Probable free agent.

Vuna Tuihalamaka, ILB, Arizona (6-1, 230, 4.66,18, 33½): Honorable mention all Pac-10 pick last year who had 68 tackles, 5½ for loss and one interception. Transferred from El Camino Junior College. Was Mission Valley Conference defensive player of the year. Speed has intrigued scouts. Also visited the Colts, Cardinals, Falcons, Ravens and Seahawks. Possible late-round pick.

Alex Henderson, RB, Northern Arizona (5-10, 210, 4.42, 19, 37½): Gained 4,800 yards from scrimmage in four years. All-Big Sky first-team selection. Gained 1,166 yards with 12 touchdowns and a 4.6 per carry average in '09. Had 28 catches for 315 yards and two touchdowns. Rushed for 265 yards and two TDs against Eastern Washington in '06. Possible late-round pick.

Duane Brooks, WR, Stephen F. Austin (5-11, 185, DNP, DNP, DNP): Transferred from Central Michigan in '08. Caught 117 passes for 1,070 yards and six touchdowns in '09 and 59 catches for 808 yards and four touchdowns in '08. Reportedly ran in the 4.5s in private workouts. Played quarterback at Central in '06.

Mikell Simpson, RB, Virginia (6-0½, 210): Rushed 85 times for 386 yards (4.5 average) and five touchdowns in '09. Also caught 27 passes for 236 yards and a touchdown. Injured hamstring against Indiana after scoring four touchdowns. Also suffered a neck injury. Broke his clavicle in '08. :P

green_bowl_packer
04-24-2010, 04:42 PM
If there's anybody particular that you're wondering where they go, or hoping the Packers pick, this is a good site to reload compulsively:

Sweet site - they're starting to drop.

Packers
Quinn Porter, RB, Stillman

wist43
04-24-2010, 04:42 PM
No TE's on the list???

We need more TE's, dah :roll:

mmmdk
04-24-2010, 04:43 PM
How about a KR? How long will Blackmon last next season...will he even be part of the 53 man roster?

green_bowl_packer
04-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Bears snatched Freddie Barnes WR

green_bowl_packer
04-24-2010, 04:48 PM

Sweet site - they're starting to drop.

Packers

Video on link - caution I recommend a mute. attn 5:40
http://www.nfldraftgm.com/2010/01/rb-quinn-porter-climbing-after-hbcu.html

Stillman College RB Quinn Porter has made a name for himself with a good performance during the practice week of the HBCU Senior Bowl this past December. Running a 4.5 forty, a broad jump of 9 plus feet, and a 35 inch vertical, the 6' 200 lb back is said to have "fluid hips and good burst once in the open field." according to Chad Reuter, Senior Analyst for NFLDraftScout.com. His showing was enough to make a New England Patriots scout take notice. He ended his 2009 campaign with 1243 yards rushing with 8 rushing tds and 1 receiving.

Bretsky
04-24-2010, 04:59 PM
IF I was a Punter I'd be calling the Packers to sign

Lurker64
04-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Packer Update says that Packers have signed South Dakota QB Noah Shepard.

Lurker64
04-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Packer Update continues:

Central Michigan OLB Frank Zombo and Temple ILB Alex Joseph have signed with the Packers. Zombo was being looked at as a TE by some teams.

You can do anything with Frank Zombo. Anything at all. The only limit is yourself. Welcome, Frank Zombo.

mission
04-24-2010, 05:16 PM

guys watch this video of quinn porter .. not gonna start making predictions but i like his style

the run at 3 min!!

kr/pr too

SkinBasket
04-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Packer Update continues:

Central Michigan OLB Frank Zombo and Temple ILB Alex Joseph have signed with the Packers. Zombo was being looked at as a TE by some teams.

You can do anything with Frank Zombo. Anything at all. The only limit is yourself. Welcome, Frank Zombo.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/64/647965.jpg

Except maybe modeling.

steve823
04-24-2010, 05:22 PM
:evil: Out of ALL the teams to pick the 2 people I liked Donovan Warren and Legarrete Blount..the Jets and Vikings get them. Man I'm pissed..now I gotta route against these guys too.

In case you don't know.. Blount = Vikings Warren = Jets

There goes Woodson training a fellow Michigan CB.

pbmax
04-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Packer Update says that Packers have signed South Dakota QB Noah Shepard.
Eventually, the entire Packer team will consist of guys from South Dakota, Boise St and Tennessee.

mission

guys watch this video of quinn porter .. not gonna start making predictions but i like his style

the run at 3 min!!

kr/pr too

he's gonna be this year's tyrell sutton 8-)

pbmax
Packer Update continues:

Except maybe modeling.
World of Warcraft ad men beg to differ.

OS PA
04-24-2010, 05:26 PM
MN picked up Blount... and now the website took him off, weird.

Lurker64
04-24-2010, 05:27 PM
According to a tweet from Bishop's University WR Shawn Gore, he has been invited to work out for the Packers.

pbmax
04-24-2010, 05:29 PM
MN picked up Blount... and now the website took him off, weird.
Check bounced. They really need the new stadium.

green_bowl_packer
04-24-2010, 05:31 PM
According to a tweet from Bishop's University WR Shawn Gore, he has been invited to work out for the Packers.

Saw that, he's a Canadian guy.

pbmax
04-24-2010, 05:32 PM

Somebody needs to call up Woodbuck and get the scouting report on this guy.

red
04-24-2010, 05:34 PM
it blows my mind that donovan warren wasn't drafted

green_bowl_packer
04-24-2010, 05:36 PM
For the Badger fans

49ers signed UDFA
Chris Maragos, S, UW

green_bowl_packer
04-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Packer Update continues:

Except maybe modeling.

TE or OLB???

From Detroit News: CMU defensive end Frank Zombo (6-4, 269) had an impressive workout Wednesday, according to scouts. Zombo benched 225 pounds 23 times and ran the 40 in 4.71. He could be an outside linebacker in a 3-4 in the NFL, but he's also sparking interest as a tight end. Zombo ran routes and caught passes from LeFevour as a tight end and said afterward he's gotten some interest from NFL teams about playing tight end in the NFL.

Lurker64
04-24-2010, 05:51 PM
TE or OLB???

From Detroit News: CMU defensive end Frank Zombo (6-4, 269) had an impressive workout Wednesday, according to scouts. Zombo benched 225 pounds 23 times and ran the 40 in 4.71. He could be an outside linebacker in a 3-4 in the NFL, but he's also sparking interest as a tight end. Zombo ran routes and caught passes from LeFevour as a tight end and said afterward he's gotten some interest from NFL teams about playing tight end in the NFL.

He'll back up Havner at the Frankenbacker position.

falco
04-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Fuck! J-Will went to the Chargers. How did this guy go undrafted?

Lurker64
04-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Apparently we've now signed:
Sam Shields, CB, Miami
Tim Knicky, DE/OLB, Stephen F. Austin.
Jeff Moturi, WR, UTEP

green_bowl_packer
04-24-2010, 06:08 PM
After a far and wide reaching search we've landed a punter from Osh Kosh.

Kurt Achter, P, UW Oshkosh

Lurker64
04-24-2010, 06:11 PM
After a far and wide reaching search we've landed a punter from Osh Kosh.

An exhaustive search that stretched almost 50 miles.

Edit: Ah, he's only signed on for a tryout.

pittstang5
04-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Damn, Damn, Damn. Brandon Lang went to the Chargers and Linsey Witten went to the Steelers.

steve823
04-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Blount is on the 49ers now. Talk about drafting a physical team..wow

steve823
04-24-2010, 06:19 PM
http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/shields_sam00.html

This guy seems like a decent returner and might be a gunner for us on special teams. Real quick.

steve823
04-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Tim Knicky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKSAUtKTsK8

Not against good competition ,but he looks pretty decent and might be good competition at OLB.

Lurker64
04-24-2010, 06:40 PM
So the tenative list of contracts or tryouts is:

Frank Zombo, DE, CMU
Sam Shields, CB, Miami
John Russell, DL, Wake Forest
Tim Knicky, DE, Stephen F. Austin
Jeff Moturi, WR, UTEP
Zeke Markshausen, WR, Northwestern
Chris Campbell, OT, Eastern Illinois
Alex Joseph, LB, Temple
Noah Shepard, QB, South Dakota
Shawn Gore, WR, Bishop University (Canada)
Mike Aguayo, OT, UTEP
E.J. Morton-Green, WR, Morgan State

You'd almost think we didn't go 11-5 last year...

steve823
04-24-2010, 06:44 PM
The more the better. I'm hoping we try out CB Devin Ross too.

Sparkey
04-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Packers
Frank Zombo, DE, CMU
Sam Shields, CB, Miami
Jeff Moturi, WR, UTEP
E.J. Morton-Green, WR, Morgan State (Tryout)
Zeke Markshausen, WR, Northwestern
Shawn Gore, WR, Bishop
Alex Joseph, LB, Temple
Noah Shepard, QB, SDSU
Robert Vaughn, S, UConn

Lurker64
04-24-2010, 08:42 PM
I don't like his chances at Safety.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ee/Napoleon_Solo.jpg

Chubbyhubby
04-24-2010, 09:03 PM
A tid bit I found about CB Sam Shields from Miami

Miami (Fla.) cornerback Sam Shields is loaded with potential. After playing wide receiver for three years at Miami, he switched to cornerback.

After a shaky start to his season, Shields rounded out as a defensive back toward the end of the year. He's not great, but a very good sleeper.

That's due mostly to his size 6-foot and 190 pounds and his speed (reportedly in the 4.24 40-yard dash range). With those measurables, he would almost assuredly get drafted for his special teams ability.

Instead, his draft hopes may be up in the smoke (turn a phrase).

Shields was charged last week with possession of marijuana. It's telling he got himself caught while he's auditioning for what is likely the most important job of his life.

The Miami pro day is on Friday and Shields will have plenty of questions to answer. How he answers them may determine his NFL fate.

swede
04-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Re: Robert Vaughn, new undrafted free agent safety...

When we played Man from UNCLE my brothers got to be Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin and I had to be the guy that ran away and caught a slug in the back.

I was really good at that...full sprint, throw back the head and shoulders, lose control of the legs and crumple.

But I always wished just once I could play Robert Vaughn's character. :(

Chubbyhubby
04-24-2010, 09:12 PM

I found his profile page...

http://thebucampus.ca/2010/02/gaiter-profile-shawn-gore/

pbmax
04-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Packers
Frank Zombo, DE, CMU
Sam Shields, CB, Miami
Jeff Moturi, WR, UTEP
E.J. Morton-Green, WR, Morgan State (Tryout)
Shawn Gore, WR, Bishop
Alex Joseph, LB, Temple
Tory Harrison, RB, Southern Miss
Noah Shepard, QB, SDSU
Robert Vaughn, S, UConn
Chastin West, WR, Fresno State

Zeke Markshausen WR from Northwestern looks unconfirmed at this point. It was an anonymous tip at Lurker's linked website.

pbmax
04-24-2010, 10:39 PM
From JSOnline, Greg Bedard, Packer Blog, retrieved 4/24/10 10:39 PM CDT (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/92017604.html)

SIGNINGS

* RB Quinn Porter, Stillman College (via NFLdraftbible.com - CONFIRMED)

6-0, 201, 4.48...Also returns kicks...First team all SIAC after rushing for 1,247 yards and six TDs.

* LB Alex Joseph, Temple (via Connecticut News - CONFIRMED)

6-1 1/2, 238, 4.62...Started all 13 games at MLB...Led team with 80 tackles, 49 solo. Had 5.5 TFL, one INT and one sack.

* QB Noah Shepard, South Dakota (via Argus Leader - CONFIRMED)

6-1 7/8, 223, 4.76.

From NFLdraftscout.com:

Rewrote USD's record book to finish his career as one of the top quarterbacks in school history...topped USD's all-time charts in passing touchdowns (77), passing yards (8,936) and total offense (11,133)....Senior season: started all 10 games for USD...finished season with 2,451 yards and 21 touchdowns on 188-of-297 attempts...also rushed for 500 yards and 13 touchdowns on 114 carries...led the conference with 295.1 yards of total offense per game (7th in the nation)...he was responsible for 20.4 points per game (2nd in the nation)....his 149.2 passing efficiency was second in the conference and 16th in the nation...averaged 245.1 passing yards per game, which was third in the conference and 16th in the nation...Packers scout worked him out in late March.

“It was a great feeling [to get that phone call],” Shepard said. “It means a lot of hard work paid off. I still see it as a big chip on my shoulder that I wasn’t drafted, though. I still have something to prove and I’m looking forward to getting to Green Bay.”

* OLB Frank Zombo, Central Michigan, (via Central Michigan Life - CONFIRMED)

6-3 3/4, 254, 4.75....Played defensive end...All-MAC first team for second-straight season. Had 34 tackles, six for a loss. Returned an interception for a fumble.

* DE John Russell, Wake Forest (via his Twitter - CONFIRMED)

6-2 7/8, 278, 4.90...Played DT....Russell fifth on the Wake Forest team with 46 tackles. Led the team and ranks ninth in the ACC in sacks with 4.5. Russell had a season-high nine tackles at Georgia Tech on Nov. 7....From NFL.com: DL John Russell (6-2 7/8, 278) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.90 and 4.94 seconds, had a 26-inch vertical jump, an 8-9 broad jump, a 4.53 short shuttle, a 7.15-second three-cone drill and did 30 bench press repetitions at 225 pounds.

* CB/KR Sam Shields, Miami (via Sun-Sentinel)

UPDATE: Shields has not yet signed with the Packers but a source said he is expected to.

5-10 3/4, 184, 4.30....Was arrested in March and charged with misdemeanor drug possession (marijuana). Likely knocked him out of the draft....Once a WR prospect.

From Miami Herald: After spending his first three seasons at wide receiver, Sam Shields was moved to cornerback as a senior. He started 10 of 11 games, finishing fifth on the defense with 40 tackles. His best game of the regular season came at Wake Forest, where he had a career-high seven tackles, in addition to forcing and recovering a key fumble in UM's come-from-behind victory. On Tuesday, Shields had an exciting first. He returned his first career kickoff on an 84-yard reverse to open the game, the longest kickoff in UM bowl history. Before that, Kevin Williams' 45-yard return at the 1991 Cotton Bowl was the record.

* OLB Tim Knicky, Stephen F. Austin (via TV-News 8 in Austin, Tex. - CONFIRMED)

6-4 1/8, 252, 4.68....Was a DE in college, will be OLB in the pros.

From NFLdraftscout.com: One of the top defensive ends in the nation last season ... The heart and soul of the SFA defense ... Has played in 33 games, earning 28 starts during his career ... Finished his junior campaign among the nation's leaders in sacks and tackles for losses. ... Has received All-SLC recognition each of the past three seasons, and Academic All-SLC honors each of the past two years ... A 2009 Consensus Draft Report Preseason Second-Team All-America selection.

* WR Jeff Moturi, UTEP (CONFIRMED)

5-11 5/8, 183, 4.42

From UTEP: Moturi was first team All-Conference USA as a sophomore in 2007 and honorable mention All-League each of the last two years. He made a catch in 36 straight games to end his collegiate career. One of eight players in school history to amass 2,000 yards receiving, Moturi ranks rates third in UTEP annals in TD catches (26), fourth in receptions (170), tied for fourth in 100-yard games (10) and fifth in receiving yards (2,527).

The 6-0, 190-pound Moturi tied for fourth nationally in touchdown receptions with 13 in 2007. He tied the school record by making a touchdown catch in 10 consecutive games that year. The Irving, Texas native had another big season in 2009, registering 53 catches for 974 yards and topping 100 yards five times in eight games versus C-USA opponents.

* OT Chris Campbell, Eastern Illinois (CONFIRMED)

6-5, 328, 5.28....From EIU: Campbell a 6-5, 328 lb., offensive tackle has generated the most buzz during the recent weeks. Selected as a late edition to play in the Texas vs. The Nation All-Star game, Campbell has opened the eyes of several NFL teams. In the latest CBS Scout Draft Tracker, Campbell is listed as the No. 18 rated prospect at offensive tackle and is projected to be taken in the sixth round. A report in Sporting News has him as a sleeper in the draft and rated as high as the No. 10 offensive tackle available. Campbell was a second team All-OVC selection as a senior starting for the first time in his EIU career. He played at Chicago’s Marshall High School. The Detroit Lions and Seattle Seahawks are the two teams who are reported to be interested in Campbell.

Should Campbell be selected in the NFL Draft he would become the first Panther to hear his name called since Chris Watson was selected in the 3rd round of the 1999 draft by the Denver Broncos. To this day Watson is also the highest NFL selection in the draft from EIU.

* S Robert Vaughn, UConn (via his Twitter account)

5-11 5/8, 198, 4.74...From NFLdraftscout.com: S Robert Vaughn is a little undersized for a safety, standing south of 6 feet tall and 200 pounds. He's skilled enough that a team may want to try him at cornerback as well, and like teammate Marcus Easley, he will get the chance to strut his stuff at the Texas vs. The Nation All-Star Game.

* RB Tory Harrison, Southern Miss (via USM coach Larry Fedora)

5-11 1/8, 198, 4.59....Was a backup for the Eagles...From NFLdraftscout.com: RB Tory Harrison has been the Golden Eagles' unsung hero this season. With starter Damion Fletcher dealing with nagging injuries, Harrison has been a more than capable backup with 626 yards on 95 carries (6.6-yard average) and nine touchdowns.

TRYOUTS

* WR Shawn Gore, Bishop University (Canada)
* OT Mike Aguayo, OT, UTEP (6-3 3/4, 303, 5.38)
* WR E.J. Morton-Green, Morgan State, 6-3 1/8, 208, 4.47 (Baltimore Sun)

Carolina_Packer
04-25-2010, 12:04 PM
So, if Sam Shields can get his name cleared, he might have a chance. He was a three year WR in college, so he has some ball skills, and with that listed speed, might have a chance in the return game, depending on how elusive he is.

mission
04-25-2010, 12:08 PM
So, if Sam Shields can get his name cleared, he might have a chance. He was a three year WR in college, so he has some ball skills, and with that listed speed, might have a chance in the return game, depending on how elusive he is.

he's the guy who ran the opening kickoff against wisconsin back for a touchdown. it was called back but the guy was never touched and a few badgers had angles on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q9zZAsTeic

rbaloha1
04-25-2010, 12:10 PM

Lets hope he solves the return game problems. Packers need some speed demons.

Fosco33
04-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Guess we've had some prior success with a guy from So Miss 8-)

Patler
04-25-2010, 01:34 PM

Cliff Lewis?? :)

Maxie the Taxi
04-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Between the draft and these guys, we're bound to improve on defense.

Freak Out
04-26-2010, 05:33 PM
:evil: Out of ALL the teams to pick the 2 people I liked Donovan Warren and Legarrete Blount..the Jets and Vikings get them. Man I'm pissed..now I gotta route against these guys too.

In case you don't know.. Blount = Vikings Warren = Jets

There goes Woodson training a fellow Michigan CB.

Anyone know if we offered Blount a contract?

gbgary
04-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Re: Robert Vaughn, new undrafted free agent safety...

When we played Man from UNCLE my brothers got to be Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin and I had to be the guy that ran away and caught a slug in the back.

I was really good at that...full sprint, throw back the head and shoulders, lose control of the legs and crumple.

But I always wished just once I could play Robert Vaughn's character. :(

lol only us oldsters know what you're talking about.

Freak Out
04-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Has there been any talk about bringing in a kicker during training camp?

Lurker64
04-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Has there been any talk about bringing in a kicker during training camp?

I'm not sure there's a roster spot for Kicker #2. They went from 86 to 80 before last offseason, and Crosby is decent enough that the roster spot is probably better spent on a different position.

Lurker64
05-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Packers sign undrafted free agent safety Anthony Levine to a three year deal.

Details: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Packers-sign-Anthony-Levine-to-threeyear-deal.html

MadScientist
05-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Packers sign undrafted free agent safety Anthony Levine to a three year deal.

Details: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Packers-sign-Anthony-Levine-to-threeyear-deal.html
The guy has pretty good measurables:

His three-cone drill (6.64 seconds), 20-yard shuttle (4.05) and 60-yard shuttle (10.97) would have ranked first for any safety that worked out at the combine.

Levine fastest time in the 40-yard dash was 4.43 seconds, unofficially. And he bench pressed 225 pounds 19 times.
What are the knocks on him?

Fritz
05-03-2010, 03:31 PM
It's all about the three cone drill, baby.

swede
05-03-2010, 03:32 PM
What are the knocks on him?

You hit him on the head on Tuesday he says ouch on Wednesday.

retailguy
05-03-2010, 06:29 PM

Cliff Lewis?? :)

Huh, I thought he was talking about Chris White the star OL... :twisted:

Fritz
05-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Question - the article that mentions thePack signing 3 tryout guys says the team has 88 players but is not over the 80 limit b/c unsigned rooks and unsigned tender guys don't count.

So does that mean that as a guy signs - let's say someone signs a tender or a rook draftee signs a contract in the next two weeks - that the team must then cut someone? In other words, if you're one of the three tryout guys signed, could you then be cut before you ever even got to OTA's?

pbmax
05-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Question - the article that mentions thePack signing 3 tryout guys says the team has 88 players but is not over the 80 limit b/c unsigned rooks and unsigned tender guys don't count.

So does that mean that as a guy signs - let's say someone signs a tender or a rook draftee signs a contract in the next two weeks - that the team must then cut someone? In other words, if you're one of the three tryout guys signed, could you then be cut before you ever even got to OTA's?
Yep. But they will get a few weeks. It will be a bit before all the RFA tenders are signed and then it will be late July before all the draft picks are on board.

Patler
05-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Rights to 88 players
7 unsigned drafted rookies
4 unsigned RFAs.

Seems they have 77 signed players, so the first 3 signings will not require the release of another player, until they get to 80 signed players. Thereafter, every new signing will require someone to be released to make room on the 80 man roster.

Fritz
05-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Wouldn't it suck to be signed and think you'd get a shot and then get cut before you ever set foot on the field?

vince
05-04-2010, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see some vets cut that no longer fit into their plans to give them a chance to catch on with another team before camp starts.

Patler
05-04-2010, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see some vets cut that no longer fit into their plans to give them a chance to catch on with another team before camp starts.

Any ideas who? I went through the roster this morning, with the same thought in mind. With the drafted tackles, Giacomini and maybe Barbre could be gone before camp. Probably Lumpkin, too. Harrell if he isn't 100%. Maybe Talley.

Currently the 88 players include:

15 O-line
4 QBs
3 FBs
5 RBs
5 TEs
10 WRs

7 DEs
4 NTs
13 LBs
10 CBs
7 safeties
Jarrett Bush (corner? safety?)

2 punters
1 kicker
1 LS

They seem to be heavy in OL, RB, WR, DE and CB. Maybe an extra QB and safety.

vince
05-04-2010, 03:16 PM
You mean I have to back up my blanket statements with supporting information now? That's a bunch of bull.

When you break it down, here's what I came up with - not that I expect some of these names to be cut, but here are the possible non-rookies that could be on the chopping block before the 80-man...

Bush
Bell
Clark
Lumpkin
Giaco
Barbre
Crabtree
Lee
Harrell
Toribio
Talley

I'd like to put Poppinga's name down, but they're so thin at OLB and Popp's a reliable guy if nothing else. It's way too early to cut bait with him I'd say.

Fritz
05-04-2010, 03:57 PM
The only name there that would surprise me is Lee. Two years' investment, thin at the backup corner spot. They need to see if he can play before they cut ties.

If Harrell gets cut before camp you know his back is truly fubared.

Patler
05-04-2010, 04:00 PM
You mean I have to back up my blanket statements with supporting information now? That's a bunch of bull.

When you break it down, here's what I came up with - not that I expect some of these names to be cut, but here are the possible non-rookies that could be on the chopping block before the 80-man...

Bush
Bell
Clark
Lumpkin
Giaco
Barbre
Crabtree
Lee
Harrell
Toribio
Talley

I'd like to put Poppinga's name down, but they're so thin at OLB and Popp's a reliable guy if nothing else. It's way too early to cut bait with him I'd say.

Lee? I think only if he isn't healthy. Otherwise they will play the heck out of him in preseason to see what he has.

Not sure if he will be around in September though!

Could be time for a whole new set of backup DBs this year. If they find another decent return man, Blackmon's tenuous hold will also slip.

Patler
05-04-2010, 04:03 PM
The only name there that would surprise me is Lee. Two years' investment, thin at the backup corner spot. They need to see if he can play before they cut ties.

If Harrell gets cut before camp you know his back is truly fubared.

Agree completely on Harrell. If he is "healthy" they will really push him in preseason games to see if he holds up. If he doesn't, bye-bye.

vince
05-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Agree on all that. I was actually thinking of Donald Lee, although I would be surprised to see it. He's officially lost his starting gig though, and while Havner is a terrible blocker, they may be thinking of going in another direction with the tight-end position altogether and give him a chance to catch on with another team where he can get more playing time. We all know how McCarthy likes his fullbacks doing the lead blocking, and the two positions are somewhat interchangeable when it comes to the running game. On top of that, Finley has turned himself into a pretty respectable blocking tight-end too.

They've done that with a few guys who lost their spots... Bretsky's idol Bob Ferguson to name one.

Patler
05-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Agree on all that. I was actually thinking of Donald Lee, although I would be surprised to see it. He's officially lost his starting gig though, and while Havner is a terrible blocker, they may be thinking of going in another direction with the tight-end position altogether and give him a chance to catch on with another team where he can get more playing time. We all know how McCarthy likes his fullbacks doing the lead blocking, and the two positions are somewhat interchangeable when it comes to the running game. On top of that, Finley has turned himself into a pretty respectable blocking tight-end too.

They've done that with a few guys who lost their spots... Bretsky's idol Bob Ferguson to name one.

So by "Lee" you mean't Donald, not Patrick? That makes more sense. My earlier comment was with repect to Patrick Lee.

I thought about Donald Lee, too, but with Havner rehabbing and the others inexperienced, I figured Donald Lee is safe into training camp anyway. Sure on the bubble for a final roster spot though. If he was a devastating blocker he might be kept for that, but he isn't much more than just "OK" and has reverted back to the knock against him before GB, that he drops too many..

sharpe1027
05-04-2010, 05:24 PM
I think one of Hall and Kuhn are gone eventually. I doubt they go with 3 FBs again and some of TTs comments make me believe they like what they see with Q. Johnson.

Doubtful that anything happens before camp though.

SkinBasket
05-04-2010, 07:06 PM

Hopefully, "would you like fries with that?" will be a closer description of his position come fall.

retailguy
05-04-2010, 08:26 PM

Hopefully, "would you like fries with that?" will be a closer description of his position come fall.

No, no no. I've been told that's too "old school" and outdated. The new politically correct terminology is "would you like to supersize that?"

pbmax
05-04-2010, 09:24 PM

No, no no. I've been told that's too "old school" and outdated. The new politically correct terminology is "would you like to supersize that?"
I think you mean to ask if they want orange slices.

Iron Mike
05-04-2010, 09:27 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/farva.jpg

pbmax
05-04-2010, 10:12 PM
But which vets are such bad fits, or have fallen so far that they will get cut without a training camp?

Poppinga is probably ill suited to the defense, but OLB is very unsettled and young. He may not make the final roster, but he would seem to be a lock for camp.

Donald Lee dropped off, but will Quarless be able to prove ready to step in before camp?

Bigby, for his faults, is still the second best safety option until beaten out by the rookie.

I could see one of the two CBs signed midseason getting the heave if the others are healthy, but will Blackmon, Lee or Harris even practice before camp?

Special teamers like Bush seem likely to stay, if only because the only true evaluation of special team play will come in preseason.

I could see Lumpkin or Giacomini. Harrell if not healthy. Toribio certainly, because he has been cut before and always seems to come available. Maybe Talley.

MichiganPackerFan
05-05-2010, 09:32 AM
I think one of Hall and Kuhn are gone eventually. I doubt they go with 3 FBs again and some of TTs comments make me believe they like what they see with Q. Johnson.

Doubtful that anything happens before camp though.

Completely agree with this one.

MichiganPackerFan
05-05-2010, 09:33 AM

I'd be perfectly ok with "Jarrett Bush, Starting CB, Minnesota Vikings". They do tend to pick up a LARGE quantity of our alumni.