PDA

View Full Version : Official Marshall Newhouse Thread

SkinBasket
04-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Because I don't want to search through 100+ pages for info on each of our picks...

SkinBasket
04-24-2010, 05:07 PM
http://collegefootballtopten.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/m_newhouse02-300x272.jpg

red
04-24-2010, 05:30 PM
kid was a starting left tackle for 3 years

the knocks on him are that he doesn't move his feet to well and doesn't work well in space and isn't very quick

so its a good thing we didn't draft him to be a left tackle. he's a great looking guard prospect though, and could be a starter in a year or so

i really like this pick

Chubbyhubby
04-24-2010, 05:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLgnZuWy7vQ

The head coach talks about the team then Marshall NewHouse midway through talks about the team as well.

Joemailman
04-24-2010, 06:20 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1125978?tag=DraftTrackerTableData;DraftTrackerTabl e169

Overview
The three-year starter at left tackle is expected to shift inside to guard at the professional level. Ever since stepping into the starting lineup, Newhouse has been a model of consistency and a dominant force in the trenches, earning All-Mountain West Conference honors three consecutive seasons.

The highly intelligent blocker, who is a double major, comes from a football-rich family.

His father, John, played football at the University of Houston and was part of three Cotton Bowl teams (1977, 1979, 1980). His cousin, Robert Newhouse, is a former Dallas Cowboy fullback great (1972-83). He also has other cousins who played football at Baylor (Reggie Newhouse) and Rice (Rod Newhouse).

Newhouse was a standout blocker during his two-year football career at Lake Highlands High School, where he earned first-team All-District 10-5A honors. He was named the District Offensive Line MVP as a senior, while also being chosen Lake Highlands' Most Outstanding Offensive Blocker.

In addition to his exploits on the gridiron, Newhouse lettered in track & field, as well as weightlifting. He was the 2006 UIL Texas State shot put champion and competed in power-lifting, earning a third-place finish in the 2005 championships. He was very active on campus at Lake Highlands, where he was a member of the Horticulture Society and Japanese Club.

Newhouse enrolled at Texas Christian in 2005, where he was the only true freshman to earn a letter on offense. He played behind Wade Sisk at right tackle, producing 10 knockdown blocks coming off the bench.

In 2007, Newhouse shifted to left offensive tackle, registering 76 knockdowns and eight touchdown-resulting blocks for an offense that averaged 386.6 yards per game. He got an opportunity to carry the ball, gaining three yards from that attempt vs. New Mexico. The first-year starter received All-Mountain West Conference honorable mention.

Newhouse continued to man the left tackle position, starting all 13 games in 2008. The second-team All-MWC choice delivered nine touchdown-resulting blocks and again led the team with 88 key blocks that included nine touchdown-resulting hits. The Horned Frogs gained 1,644 of its 2,863 yards rushing over the left side of their line.

2009 was the season that the senior finally gained national notice. He posted 14 touchdown-resulting blocks among his 106 knockdowns, paving the way for a running attack that amassed 3,114 yards. His performance earned him All-American third-team and All-MWC first-team accolades, as TCU generated 5,937 yards in total offense and scored 498 points, both team season-records.

Analysis
Positives: Newhouse has a thick, squat frame, with a wide chest, long arms, very strong hand punch (more so with his right than left) with above average quickness, powerful leg drive, strong hands, broad shoulders and a thick chest … Uses his hands with force to jolt and shock the defender in attempts to control the line of scrimmage … One of the more athletic trap blockers in the draft, he has good body control and flexibility, loose hips, average initial quickness and does a nice job of keeping his hands inside his frame to battle counter moves … Quick coming off the snap, getting his hands up into the defender's chest to gain advantage, leverage and sustain … Has the agility to play the guard position at the next level, as he has a strong concept for angling and shows good plant-&-drive agility to follow the ballcarrier to the cutback lanes … Has above average hand speed, showing the ability to fire off the snap with explosiveness … With his field vision, he can easily locate stunts and blitzes … Displays good balance and body control on the short pull, taking proper angles to get to the linebackers at the second level … Good position blocker with fluid flexibility and knee bend … Has the ability to wall off and screen, doing a nice job of rolling his hips on contact … Plays with leverage and at a proper pad level, delivering powerful arm swipes to prevent defenders from getting into his body … Sinks his hips, mirrors the defensive linemen, bends his knees properly and extends his arms well to make the reach block … Works well in combination with the other linemen to maintain the rush lanes and shows flexibility and balance working toward the edge to shut down the pass rush … With his excellent balance and wide base, he can easily maintain position at the line of scrimmage and is very effective driving his man off the first level … Shows good body control and hip snap to get in front on end-around, as his hand strength allows him to lock on and control the defender … When working in-line, he handles combo blocks effectively and works well with the tackles in neutralizing the blitzes off the edge.

Negatives: Has very good arm reach, but his hands are not evenly proportioned (right one is 10 1/4-inches in width/left one is 9 1/2) and he does become right-hand dominant because of this … His size is a little shorter than what most teams look for in a left tackle and will more likely shift inside to guard … While he shows nimble feet and a good burst working into the second level, he sometimes gets his feet too narrow running long distances and can be tripped up … This results in him slipping off some of his blocks when working in space, but he shows the ability to recover and take good angles … On the rare occasions that he drops his head in pass protection, he will then tend to play some on his toes, but he will then recover, sink his hips and do a decent job of mirroring his man … Despite his strong hand punch, he will do more grabbing that shocking and jolting the defender as he starts tiring later in games.

Compares To: RANDY THOMAS, ex-Washington -- Newhouse should have little problem adjusting to blocking in-line. He was often used to lead the charge on end-arounds and works well with the other blockers to widen the rush lane. He is a powerful sort, yet also has very good balance and quickness for an offensive lineman. For a team that stresses zone blocking, this nimble athlete should fit in nicely.

Career Notes

LP
04-24-2010, 07:19 PM
http://collegefootballtopten.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/m_newhouse02-300x272.jpg

Kind of looks like a wuss. Must be the purple shirt. Very feminine. Purple can make anyone into a wimp. :lol:

rbaloha1
04-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Lets hope stands out like Lang and Sitton. Please win the left guard position.

3irty1
04-24-2010, 10:24 PM
I think its too fast to call him a guard. That's all speculation based on his good performance when asked to take reps inside at predraft events. He was a standout LT for three years in college and I imagine the coaches will give him a chance in that spot. Physically he's got all the tools to be an NFL tackle and is more suited for a spot on the end than say.... TJ Lang.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2010, 11:07 PM
I think its too fast to call him a guard. That's all speculation based on his good performance when asked to take reps inside at predraft events. He was a standout LT for three years in college and I imagine the coaches will give him a chance in that spot. Physically he's got all the tools to be an NFL tackle and is more suited for a spot on the end than say.... TJ Lang.

Not sure about this. I think Lang played OT in college also. This kid is a bit short for OT, isn't he? Not saying he can't do it, but he sounds like an OG to me. BTW, I think Lang is best suited for OG also, but if the coaches think he's the RT of the future, I'll trust them.

Lurker64
04-24-2010, 11:57 PM

Not sure about this. I think Lang played OT in college also. This kid is a bit short for OT, isn't he? Not saying he can't do it, but he sounds like an OG to me. BTW, I think Lang is best suited for OG also, but if the coaches think he's the RT of the future, I'll trust them.

Every offensive lineman that Ted Thompson has ever drafted has played either Center or Tackle at some point in their college career. The reason for this is simple: centering requires a special skillset that you only get from centers, and the two best athletes on any collegiate offensive line are going to be playing left tackle and right tackle. College guards tend to be just big guys who are powerful, but if they were especially athletic they would generally be playing on the outside. Insofar as Thompson likes to draft athletic big men for both lines, he's pretty always going to be picking Tackles to play Tackle, Tackles to play Guard, Centers to play Center, or Centers to play Guard.

But from what I've seen of Newhouse (and I've watched a lot of TCU over the past couple years), he's kind of a liability outside. He's a lunger, he tends to take a narrow base in space, and he doesn't redirect well. Maybe he could be an RT, but it would take correcting a number of technique things. He's certainly powerful enough, nasty enough, and athletic enough to play G for us though.

The Leaper
04-25-2010, 01:24 AM
Weird...his left hand is 3/4 inch smaller than his right?

Someone needs to stop masterbating and find a girlfriend.

vince
04-25-2010, 04:24 AM
I think Lang is best suited for OG also, but if the coaches think he's the RT of the future, I'll trust them.
This is where I'm at too, but I will add this. I think Lang can be a better guard than Colledge.

McCarthy is saying that Lang is going to take most of his snaps at RT. Keeping Lang at RT may have more to do with Tauscher, a guy I'm probably taking for granted more than I should at this stage, than anyone else.

If Lang is going to stay out at RT, then I like this pick. If your 2010 line looks like Clifton-Spitz/Colledge-Wells-Sitton-Tausch/Lang, then hopefully Newhouse can learn the ropes inside and eventually replace Spitz/Colledge and Spitz (or EDS) can replace Wells when his undersized frame gets hurt again.

3irty1
04-25-2010, 07:47 AM

I do get it, TT picks LTs to play all over his line as the best lineman on the team is generally placed at LT. Both Lang and Newhouse convinced scouts they could line up inside or outside at the predraft events. I understand why Lang was projected to become an interior lineman--he has physical limitations including short arms. Newhouse may be a bit short for a tackle but can still play with length due to 34" arms. Athleticism isn't the problem. At the combine he was first of all lineman in the 3 cone drill and 3rd in the 40 yard dash only behind superfreaks Bruce Campbell and Trent Williams.

Given TJ Langs college experience playing on the DL, brutal runblocking, and ability to backup the LT spot reliably, I would like to see Lang to find his permanent home at LG. Newhouse with his length, wide base, and lateral speed seems like a good fit at RT to me.

Bretsky
04-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Read this guy has an edge...besides the bloodline

He went up against one of, or the best all around pass rushers in the NCAA for the past four years in

Jerry Hughes

Patler
04-25-2010, 11:58 AM
I think this guy is interesting, the more I read about him. He was included on several All-American lists this year. Some criticize his body, but the Packers (and I assume many other teams) have had very good linemen with less than ideal body proportions (Fuzzy Thurston, Francis Peay, Earl Dotson, even Mark Tauscher just to name a few).

The best linemen seem to be smart guys, the less bright lights with great bodies and athleticism often don't pan out. This kid is frequently noted as being very intelligent, and apparently is athletic, even though he doesn't look it. Sort of like Tauscher, a lot better athlete than he looks.

I think he was a good pick where he was taken.

rbaloha1
04-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Appears to be another Lang. From reports Bulaga is a lt, lang is a rt and Newhouse is a lg. Combined with Sitton, the Packers could be set for awhile.

Lurker64
04-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Appears to be another Lang. From reports Bulaga is a lt, lang is a rt and Newhouse is a lg. Combined with Sitton, the Packers could be set for awhile.

I think that Thompson has picked up on "what actually works" for drafting OL in Green Bay. Drafting guys with tons of experience in college, solid fundamentals and outstanding work ethics (Jason Spitz, Josh Sitton, TJ Lang) works out a lot better than drafting guys with gaudy measurables and hoping to coach them up (Allen Barbre, Daryn Colledge).

I don't have a ton of faith in our OL coaches, but I do believe that they can successfully execute a technique refinement but can't be trusted to perform a brain transplant or a complete reclamation project.

Bretsky
04-25-2010, 02:58 PM
I bought a draft guide a few weeks ago and went back to read up on the players we drafted. All positve reviews and projections pretty similar to where we drafted them with the exception of Neal.

One thing I loved about Newhouse.....the notation

"This guy will outwork everybody"

Joemailman
04-25-2010, 03:05 PM

I think that Thompson has picked up on "what actually works" for drafting OL in Green Bay. Drafting guys with tons of experience in college, solid fundamentals and outstanding work ethics (Jason Spitz, Josh Sitton, TJ Lang) works out a lot better than drafting guys with gaudy measurables and hoping to coach them up (Allen Barbre, Daryn Colledge).

I don't have a ton of faith in our OL coaches, but I do believe that they can successfully execute a technique refinement but can't be trusted to perform a brain transplant or a complete reclamation project.

Right. Part of that is he's also stopped drafting the barely 300 lb. guys with great mobility. Mobility is great, but sometimes you just have to able to slug it out for a couple of yards.

rbaloha1
04-25-2010, 05:38 PM

Agreed. The Packers are drafting bigger and more powerful linemen with good agility. (I guess cone drills account for something.)

steve823
04-25-2010, 05:50 PM
I hope this guy really shows up and plays well. It would be great if he coould replace Colledge. A line that consists of Bulaga-Newhouse-Spitz/Wells-Sitton-Lang sounds pretty good for the future...of course I'm being optimistic.

3irty1
04-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Read this guy has an edge...besides the bloodline

He went up against one of, or the best all around pass rushers in the NCAA for the past four years in

Jerry Hughes

Yeah sort of. Hughes played LE.

Right now on Packers.com they have Newhouse listed as a T/G along with TJ Lang.

ND72
04-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Newhouse is gonna feel like a fly stuck in milk when he walks into the GB OL meetings.

Lurker64
04-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Newhouse is gonna feel like a fly stuck in milk when he walks into the GB OL meetings.

Breno's got a bit of a tan, but after Breno gets cut... yeah...

rbaloha1
04-26-2010, 12:34 PM
I hope this guy really shows up and plays well. It would be great if he coould replace Colledge. A line that consists of Bulaga-Newhouse-Spitz/Wells-Sitton-Lang sounds pretty good for the future...of course I'm being optimistic.

Yup. IN TT WE TRUST.

Gunakor
04-26-2010, 02:36 PM
It would be spectacular if a low 5th round compensatory pick at OG could unseat a veteran starter. I would be absolutely elated if Newhouse were to beat out Colledge for the starting job.