PDA

View Full Version : LOLB speculation.

Lurker64
04-25-2010, 05:10 PM
In his press conference, Thompson heavily hinted that something was "in the works" to add competition to the left outside linebacker position. Presumably, he wasn't talking about a UDFA he was bringing in, since if that guy was capable of starting or contributing immediately, he would probably have been drafted, by Ted.

Initially I thought it was Jets veteran OLB Bryan Thomas, who is rumored to be cut soon but could probably be had for minimal compensation.

However, PFT wrote that Shawne Merriman (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/25/merriman-trade-talks-scuttled-by-contract-issues/) was being shopped by the Chargers all weekend. They claim that trade talks were taking place during all three days of the draft, but that they were eventually scuttled due to the necessity of signing Merriman to a long term contract.

But if they were talking about trading him on the third day of the draft, that would mean that some compensation involving players and third day picks was discussed. If the Chargers were willing to take say, a fourth round pick for Merriman, who's to say they wouldn't be interested in taking a 2011 2nd or 3rd?

Do you think Thompson would trade for a big name guy like Merriman? Would you want him to? What would you be willing to give up?

Joemailman
04-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Wouldn't mind giving up a 3rd. Pack will be getting a 3rd or 4th as compensation for Kampman, so the pick wouldn't be missed too much on draft day.

packers11
04-25-2010, 05:17 PM
I actually saw that article and starting to research what teams were in the running... I was thinking the same thing, I defiantly would give up a 3rd round pick for "ROIDS BOY". Even tho hes not a "packer person" he would be a force on our defense.

Lurker64
04-25-2010, 05:24 PM
Another theory. Adalius Thomas is probably going to get cut by the Pats offseason, he could also be had on the cheap as a result.

packers11
04-25-2010, 05:31 PM
T.T.

(When you say you're still working on outside linebacker, is that rookie free agents or working a trade or a veteran free agent?)

We're working on it. That's about as far as I can go on that. I'm not suggesting there's going to be some groundbreaking dynamic thing. I understand everybody's concerned about that position. We don't think it's quite as dire as everybody else does. But it is a position we'd like to add a couple more competitors.

Thats another good point on Adalius... I live in NE and everyone thinks hes going to be cut, so if T.T. does trade for him it better be for a 7th and nothing more...

rbaloha1
04-25-2010, 05:33 PM
All of them are an upgrade and provide huge impact. Lets hope TT makes legitimate attempts to secure a big time lolb.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Both of these proposed moves(Merriman & A.T.) seem too madden-esque to me for the Packers to ever do. That being said, I'd be great with either. We'd have a proven starter and young developmental back-ups/rotation guys. I just don't see TT making the move for Merriman, and A.T. would more than likely go to Rex Ryan.

steve823
04-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Here's the question. You can get Adielus Thomas or Bryan Thomas for free..or maybe a 7th if you want to make sure you get them. You would probably have to give up at least a 4th rounder for Merriman. Which is the better deal?

Also, out of 14 games started, Merriman only got 4 sacks. He is young though, which both Thomas' aren't.

I wouldn't give anything more then a 4th for Merriman and I would be hoping a 6th or 7th in return.

Joemailman
04-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Thomas is in decline. 26 tackles and 3 sacks last year. He wouldn't be an upgrade, but he could provide depth. I wouldn't give up anything for him, but might consider picking him up if released.

steve823
04-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Thomas is in decline. 26 tackles and 3 sacks last year. He wouldn't be an upgrade, but he could provide depth. I wouldn't give up anything for him, but might consider picking him up if released.

Which one? I think both Thomas' are declining.

twoseven
04-25-2010, 06:24 PM
from pft..'In the end, the necessity of reaching a long-term deal with Merriman "complicated and ultimately thwarted possible trades," '

Lurker64
04-25-2010, 06:56 PM
from pft..'In the end, the necessity of reaching a long-term deal with Merriman "complicated and ultimately thwarted possible trades," '

Draft day trades, certainly there's no chance of that happening.

But if the Chargers were willing to deal Merriman during the draft, why wouldn't they also be willing to deal him after the draft?

red
04-25-2010, 07:21 PM
i'm not sure merriman is the same player he was before he got busted for roids

at least he sure didn't look like the same player last season

RashanGary
04-25-2010, 07:53 PM
In either day one or day two of Ted's presser he talked about vets being hard to trade because of physicals and thinks like that.

It'll be interesting. I have a feeling Ted, one of these times, is going to end up having one of these big moves that he looks into go through.

Tony Oday
04-25-2010, 08:20 PM
So AT will be 33 and had some friction with the Hooded Cheater. He has never been a huge sack guy but has fallen off from that even as of late. He only eclipsed 10 sacks once.

BT will be 31 this year. I know very little about him just because I rarely watched the Jets on the Ticket. His numbers look about right for being solid. He is an every other year guy.

Merriman 26 this year, shares a Bday with the ex wife maybe thats why he is crazy, Has had two years basically off...how intense was the steroid use? I think he would be amazing in this offense...not a stop gap guy but a guy that will compliment CMIII or vice versa and meet at the QB all day long...I mean it has to keep Capers up at night if this is a possibility. Merriman would have to sit with TT and basically say, "hey I am going to keep my head down and play football." Then bring him in...no tila tiquila or whatever her name is, no beating anyone up outside the field...keep your damn nose clean here for 4 years and then sign another large contract somewhere else if you want to.

I would LOVE Merriman for a 3rd or less. AT would be second because then it would give Jones another year to develop and BT last...just my opinion

3irty1
04-25-2010, 09:45 PM
As weird as it is for me to say out loud, I'd rather start Brad Jones than Merriman at this time. Merriman is not the same player he was on the juice. I would expect Aaron Kampman type production out of him. At least Jones can cover.

The Leaper
04-25-2010, 10:48 PM
i'm not sure merriman is the same player he was before he got busted for roids

at least he sure didn't look like the same player last season

I agree.

Stay far away from Merriman.

steve823
04-25-2010, 10:53 PM
So AT will be 33 and had some friction with the Hooded Cheater. He has never been a huge sack guy but has fallen off from that even as of late. He only eclipsed 10 sacks once.

BT will be 31 this year. I know very little about him just because I rarely watched the Jets on the Ticket. His numbers look about right for being solid. He is an every other year guy.

Merriman 26 this year, shares a Bday with the ex wife maybe thats why he is crazy, Has had two years basically off...how intense was the steroid use? I think he would be amazing in this offense...not a stop gap guy but a guy that will compliment CMIII or vice versa and meet at the QB all day long...I mean it has to keep Capers up at night if this is a possibility. Merriman would have to sit with TT and basically say, "hey I am going to keep my head down and play football." Then bring him in...no tila tiquila or whatever her name is, no beating anyone up outside the field...keep your damn nose clean here for 4 years and then sign another large contract somewhere else if you want to.

I would LOVE Merriman for a 3rd or less. AT would be second because then it would give Jones another year to develop and BT last...just my opinion

:lol:

Tony Oday
04-26-2010, 01:15 AM

:lol:

I couldn't help but put that! :)

Fritz
04-26-2010, 06:37 AM
After us getting all pumped over these "big" names, isn't it more likely that TT will bring in someone of Chillar-esque stature?

pbmax
04-26-2010, 07:13 AM
I was just going to say if its not his undrafted free agents, then I expect someone more like a special teams demon (perhaps overpaid like Bush) rather than a name like Merriman.

Lurker64
04-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Adalius Thomas was cut today. I believe he has experience playing for Capers on the 2008 Patriots, so Dom probably has a good sense about whether this guy is a player still.

packers11
04-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Adalius Thomas was cut today. I believe he has experience playing for Capers on the 2008 Patriots, so Dom probably has a good sense about whether this guy is a player still.

Even if he lost a step, he would defiantly add some pass rush / experience to this team....

rbaloha1
04-26-2010, 12:30 PM

Maybe its more of personality conflict with Belichek. Assuming this dude can still play elevates the d to another level.

twoseven
04-26-2010, 02:34 PM
was thomas growing invisible in the stats dept because he just doesn't have it anymore or because he didn't want to be in NE? i know a busted arm kept him out of some games, but he really took a nosedive in the sack dept from his BALT days.

pittstang5
04-26-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm of the thinking that TT has something up his sleeve. He, as well as all of us, saw what happened when you couldn't pressure the quarterback.

I really think he's gonna make a move, I just can't figure out what or who he's going to go after.

Lurker64
04-26-2010, 05:17 PM
was thomas growing invisible in the stats dept because he just doesn't have it anymore or because he didn't want to be in NE? i know a busted arm kept him out of some games, but he really took a nosedive in the sack dept from his BALT days.

Well, part of it may be age, but part of it may be that they do very different things with their OLBs in New England than they do in Baltimore.

But Dom coached on defense in NE recently, so he should have a good idea about whether Thomas has anything left in the tank and whether of not he would be a good fit for his system (even though Capers was a defensive coach for the Patriots recently, they were still running a defense in the Bellichick-Fairbanks-Bullough tree, which is distinct from the Capers-LeBeau tree (which is in turn distinct from the Phillips 3-4, and the various hybrid 3-4s employed by the Ryan Boys, the Dolphins, the Cardinals, and the 49ers)).

Joemailman
04-26-2010, 06:00 PM

Which one? I think both Thomas' are declining.

I was referring to Adalius.

ThunderDan
04-26-2010, 07:54 PM
No to Merriman. Dropped off after caught juicing and played poorly this year after the knee injury to end his 2008 season.

You will never see him put up numbers like 2005, 2006 and 2007 again.

Tony Oday
04-26-2010, 07:57 PM
No to Merriman. Dropped off after caught juicing and played poorly this year after the knee injury to end his 2008 season.

Or is it like Tommy John surgery for a pitcher...takes a year back in the game to regain his game?

ThunderDan
04-26-2010, 07:59 PM

Or is it like Tommy John surgery for a pitcher...takes a year back in the game to regain his game?

I don't think so. You take him off the juice with a hurt knee and I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

Tony Oday
04-26-2010, 10:17 PM
honestly how many roids can a guy do for three years in the NFL? Hell they catch guys taking diet pills.

pbmax
04-26-2010, 11:44 PM
honestly how many roids can a guy do for three years in the NFL? Hell they catch guys taking diet pills.
Depends on what you are taking and how good the researchers are that are helping to supply your source. Bonds and the Olympic athletes had been going for several years on the cream and the clear. If an anonymous trainer hadn't turned them in, they might still be getting away with it.

Tony Oday
04-26-2010, 11:50 PM
the reason that I ask this is because you would think there would be a lot more of these incidents. Doesnt the NFL have the strictest testing of pro sports?

3irty1
04-27-2010, 03:28 PM
the reason that I ask this is because you would think there would be a lot more of these incidents. Doesnt the NFL have the strictest testing of pro sports?

I'd say baseball after all their roid troubles now have the strictest policies regarding roids.

If my memory serves me wasn't Shawne caught with straight easy-to-test-for 1995 style anabolic steroids? That's the steroid equivalent of shooting someone in broad daylight and facing the consequences.

ThunderDan
04-27-2010, 08:02 PM

Do you consider bike racing a professional sport? Or are you talking NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB?

Bike racers can be tested anytime, anywhere. In season or out of season. One biker was kicked out of the Tour de France because he lied and said he was on vacation and couldn't take the blood test for a couple of days. Eventhough he passed the test a week later they banned him.

Tony Oday
04-27-2010, 08:06 PM

Do you consider bike racing a professional sport? Or are you talking NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB?

Bike racers can be tested anytime, anywhere. In season or out of season. One biker was kicked out of the Tour de France because he lied and said he was on vacation and couldn't take the blood test for a couple of days. Eventhough he passed the test a week later they banned him.

I am sorry, major US sports...european football and riding a bike are for our friends across the pond :)

Guiness
04-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Cycling is indeed insane.

I read a story about a guy getting randomly tested, and how it fell out. He and his girlfriend were getting ready to go out when the tester showed up - he'd just taken a leak, but had to produce a sample immediately.

Tester has to go into the bathroom with him, and physically see the vial being filled. He always gets a bit of stage fright, and things kind of 'disappear'. Because of this, he sat down, and the tester kept telling him to spread his legs more because he couldn't see his penis! (not helping someone who's already got the jitters!). He finally went, but the tester said he hadn't been able to see the urine go from his penis into the vial, so it didn't count! He had to go again; he couldn't, so he drank a couple glasses of water, and waited.

Took about an hour, and he missed the reservations at the restaurant.

steve823
04-28-2010, 04:06 PM
I think a lot of people are overlooking Obiozor and Jones. Both will be in better shape (Obi cutting down and Jones bulking up) and both have a year under their belt in the system and an off season reviewing it.

Also, Clay Matthews will probably be double teamed majority of the time and our defensive line has a better rotation now. Either Obi or Jones will make an impact this year and will take some pressure off of Matthews -- mark my words.

Pugger
04-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Doesn't Thomas play the same position as CM3? I don't think I'd want to be moving CM3 unless Thomas can play either side. And wouldn't his presence be detrimental to Jones' developement? :?:

get louder at lambeau
04-29-2010, 01:28 PM
I think a lot of people are overlooking Obiozor and Jones. Both will be in better shape (Obi cutting down and Jones bulking up) and both have a year under their belt in the system and an off season reviewing it.

Also, Clay Matthews will probably be double teamed majority of the time and our defensive line has a better rotation now. Either Obi or Jones will make an impact this year and will take some pressure off of Matthews -- mark my words.

Another thing people don't mention-
Clay Matthews should be even better than in his rookie year. They BETTER double him.

Tony Oday
04-29-2010, 03:49 PM

Another thing people don't mention-
Clay Matthews should be even better than in his rookie year. They BETTER double him.

Sophmore slump

Brandon494
04-29-2010, 04:01 PM
People don't give Jones enough credit. The only thing they remember is the Cardinals game but the fact of the matter the defense as a whole played horrible that game.

Cleft Crusty
04-29-2010, 04:04 PM
People don't give Jones enough credit. The only thing they remember is the Cardinals game but the fact of the matter the defense as a whole played horrible that game.

Clefty recalls a depleted secondary and poor communication between LBs and Safeties in coverage. Clefty also recalls spinning lights and sparkles, but that was from an overdose of Plavix.

packerbacker1234
04-29-2010, 08:26 PM

he didn't really play that bad last year, just no one remembers him getting much pressure on the QB. Again though, he could easily improve this year and he obviously wasn't that bad. Afterall, he was starting, not popinga who was starting earlier in the year on the other side.

He was also better than Kampman. I think it's fair to give him a chance to prove himself. He could be another surprise this year. I think Matthews #'s will go down simply because teams are aware of him now.

Fritz
04-30-2010, 08:41 AM
I'm wondering how much potential Obiozor has, and if he has a lot, if he can translate that into consistent results.

vince
04-30-2010, 09:14 AM
Obi has never been what anyone might call a sack machine. I can't speak to his role or the scheme at Texas A&M, but he logged 3 sacks his senior year and 3.5 his junior year as a DE before going undrafted last year - pretty underwhelming. I'm not sure that Knicky or Zombo aren't as good or better prospects.

Joemailman
04-30-2010, 09:33 AM
It may have been the scheme. The 3.5 sacks Obi had as a junior led the team. Either they relied more on coverage than QB pressure, or they used a lot of different guys to rush the passer.

CaliforniaCheez
05-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Frank Zombo!!

http://www.zombo.com/

Fritz
05-01-2010, 08:27 AM
It is far simpler to blame the A & M coach than to assess the talent levels of the prospects. So I'm going that route.