PDA

View Full Version : Better than your average UDFA?? (Three OLB prospects)

Patler
04-26-2010, 12:18 AM
One of these three?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/92067829.html

All three, Russell, Knicky and Zombo seem to have had a lot of interest from other teams.
Combined they had 68.5 sacks, 117.5 tackles for loss.
Knicky had 32.5 and 59.5 respectively.

Could one of these be the diamond in the rough that comes along every few years?

Lurker64
04-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Hey, James Harrison (OLB, Steelers) was a UDFA... so why not? Your average UDFA and your average 7th round pick aren't really very different in terms of talent, and we had a 7th round pick come in at OLB last year and contribute immediately.

But, once the Packers welcome Zombo... we can do anything. Anything at all.

Fritz
04-26-2010, 06:44 AM
Zombo. What a great name.

pbmax
04-26-2010, 07:11 AM
They were a great band to back in the day. I remember Zombo opening for the Zombies. Girls were screaming louder than I had ever heard.

And we had onions on our belt. Which was the style at the time.

I would love for one of the OLBs to work out like Jones, but I suspect Obiozor could be the likeliest source of better pass rush this season from OLB.

The_Dude
04-26-2010, 09:07 AM

Would have been great to pair him with Zoltan

RashanGary
04-26-2010, 09:18 AM
There are a few types of common, high potential players that you can find in this area:

1. Injury issues caused player to drop
2. Small school
- Not good workout program, more upside than seems
- Many players in wrong position at small school
- Tiny schools lack exposure
3. Character

All of these players, if I'm not mistaken, are switching positions from a smaller school. Last year we got Brad Jones because he was so undersized. He has a ton of room to grow though, so he fits the high potential, late/UDFA type.

These guys sound like they're going to be bigger projects than Jones was. Size issues, you can play with a little, because you have a pretty good idea what you're doing out there. These guys are going to have to be completely retrained. Hopefully one of them catches on quickly and stands out. It would be nice to have a high potential backup or two training behind our starters.

RashanGary
04-26-2010, 09:21 AM
That QB from South Dakota intrigues me. Good size, huge arm. Wasn't as accurate as a freshman, but finished with 63% as a senior and his coach said the receivers he played with often times didn't even know where they were going, so that number might be skewed by the players he played with. His college coach thinks he's a great player, for what that's worth and he has a lot of pure upside as an athlete and with his arm. I could see him sticking and maybe even some day excelling. Said he chose GB because McCarthy.

vince
04-26-2010, 10:35 AM
He's got the ass-kissing thing down. That's a good start for him.

vince
04-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Just in looking through some of these bios and highlight clips, it seems like there are some good practice squad candidates who could develop into something here.

Shields, Zombo, Knickny, the running back from Southern Mississippi has good speed, the QB...

swede
04-26-2010, 12:14 PM

Would have been great to pair him with Zoltan
:lol: :lol: :(

vince
04-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Great name. Awesome website.

http://zombo.com/