PDA

View Full Version : Coach promotes one of his players, trashes others.

Patler
04-26-2010, 12:31 AM
Packers signed QB Noah Shepard. His coach had high praise for him in this article:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100425/PKR01/100425023/1058/Free-agent-QB-Noah-Shepard-signs-contract-with-Packers

But, I thought he was a bit harsh toward his other players:

“The only issue you will find is you’ll question his accuracy. I told the scouts the same thing, that I understand why you question his accuracy, but you have to understand he’s played Division I football with Division II receivers. A couple of them were freshmen who he never knew where the heck they’d show up. When you see his arm strength, he’ll fit in there.”

Lurker64
04-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Maybe the quote was accurate? Since " Shepard was a four-year starter. His first two seasons, the school played at the Division II level before making the jump before his junior season to the Division I Football Championship Series level (formerly Division I-AA)." So he was likely literally playing with DII receivers and/or Freshmen.

I liked this one

“He’s built like Zeus,” South Dakota coach Ed Meierkort said. “He’s not built like a quarterback.”

Hopefully he can hurl lightning bolts as well as footballs. We can line him up so he can incapacitate people in the secondary and/or opposing coaches.

twoseven
04-26-2010, 04:25 AM
not too harsh..freshman are going to have much worse said about them and to their face by coaches all across the country. i guess i don't expect this guy to sugar coat anything when he is trying to help out his QB who is being judged at the highest level by those who may not know the whole story. the actual players in question would probably say worse about themselves considering the situation and the context.

Fred's Slacks
04-26-2010, 06:05 AM
not too harsh..freshman are going to have much worse said about them and to their face by coaches all across the country. i guess i don't expect this guy to sugar coat anything when he is trying to help out his QB who is being judged at the highest level by those who may not know the whole story. the actual players in question would probably say worse about themselves considering the situation and the context.

Meierkort was my head coach at UW Stout when I played there. Trust me, he doesn't sugar coat anything.

Fritz
04-26-2010, 06:30 AM
I found another article with a few more quotes by the coach:

"And Cripes, it was hard for the poor guy to set because our offensive line sucked so bad. They couldn't block a three-legged turtle."

Here's another one:

"Sometimes the playcalling didn't help our quarterback. I don't know if my ofensive coordinator is smoking crack or what, but sometimes I'd just shake my head at the crap he'd call."

mission
04-26-2010, 09:40 AM

Meierkort was my head coach at UW Stout when I played there. Trust me, he doesn't sugar coat anything.

when did you play there? we might have played with some of the same guys... anyone from Monroe?

Freak Out
04-26-2010, 09:48 AM

"And Cripes, it was hard for the poor guy to set because our offensive line sucked so bad. They couldn't block a three-legged turtle."

Here's another one:

"Sometimes the playcalling didn't help our quarterback. I don't know if my ofensive coordinator is smoking crack or what, but sometimes I'd just shake my head at the crap he'd call."

He must be Zeus to have survived. :)

Lurker64
04-26-2010, 10:38 AM

Here's another one:

Did you know that it's fairly common for people who are struck by lightning to have their clothes blasted off of them, as the clothes and body briefly have an identical (and strong) charge, and as we all recall from 8th grade science: like charges repell.

After a Greek God in a helmet blasted off my pants in front of 10,000 people, I'm not sure I'd want to rush the passer.

Then again... South Dakota plays in a dome, so maybe he can only hurl lightning in away games.

swede
04-26-2010, 12:10 PM

That's a remarkable coincidence!

I can't believe Joe Arrigo didn't catch the connection before you. :lol:

swede
04-26-2010, 12:12 PM
After a Greek God in a helmet blasted off my pants in front of 10,000 people.

add that to George Carlin's list of things no one's ever said before.

twoseven
04-26-2010, 02:31 PM

Here's another one:

Did you know that it's fairly common for people who are struck by lightning to have their clothes blasted off of them, as the clothes and body briefly have an identical (and strong) charge, and as we all recall from 8th grade science: like charges repell.

After a Greek God in a helmet blasted off my pants in front of 10,000 people, I'm not sure I'd want to rush the passer.

Then again... South Dakota plays in a dome, so maybe he can only hurl lightning in away games.i could see jared allen continuing to rush the passer without any clothes on after being struck by lightning. that crazy fucker would probably play a whole game in daisy dukes and combat boots if you'd let him, just make sure they're Wranglers.

Fred's Slacks
04-26-2010, 08:38 PM

when did you play there? we might have played with some of the same guys... anyone from Monroe?

I don't recall anyone from Monroe, but with about 100 guys on the roster, there very well could have been. The last year I played was 2000. We went 10-0 and lost in the playoffs to St John's. That was a fun year, as nobody expected us to do much coming off a 3-7 season. The week before camp our starting RB (who worked really hard and looked liked like he was going to tear it up that year) got hit by a truck and was in a coma for a couple weeks. As shitty as that was, it really brought us together as a team and we played like nobody (I think even us) expected.