PDA

View Full Version : Cool Rookie Story

Tony Oday
04-26-2010, 06:49 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Giants-invite-33-year-old-ex-Marine-to-rookie-mi?urn=nfl,236766

Good luck!

Brandon494
04-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Won't make it, he was playing against boys in college in which he could over power. Obviously thats not going to happen in the NFL.

Gunakor
04-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Good to see stories like this. Gotta admire a guy who hits rock bottom, picks himself up by the bootstraps and gets it right again. I wish him all the luck in the world, but even if he doesn't make the final cut, congratulations are definitely in order.

Tony Oday
04-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Won't make it, he was playing against boys in college in which he could over power. Obviously thats not going to happen in the NFL.

so like EVERY other college player?

Brandon494
04-26-2010, 07:23 PM

No because every other player is not 33 years of age.

He will not have the speed or endurance advantage like other rookies.

Maxie the Taxi
04-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Nope, this guy could never make the team. Too old. Out of shape. Blah. Blah. Impossible...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Papale

:oops:

MichiganPackerFan
04-27-2010, 08:55 AM
I think it's great when teams give individuals like this an opportunity. They may never make the roster, but their character is rewarded with a summer in a pro camp, a few dollars and an opportunity to realize a dream and make the pro-squad.

SkinBasket
04-27-2010, 09:53 AM

A lot of athletes are considered in their prime right around 33. There are plenty of examples right now of some of the top athletes in a variety of sports that are older than this guy.

Cleft Crusty
04-27-2010, 09:55 AM

A lot of athletes are considered in their prime right around 33. There are plenty of examples right now of some of the top athletes in a variety of sports that are older than this guy.

This is true. Clefty was recently researching distance runners, marveling at how strong some became in later years. Unfortunately this was not true for Clefty. I can only remember with fondness the years I walked and breathed without excruciating pain.

SkinBasket
04-27-2010, 11:12 AM

This is true. Clefty was recently researching distance runners, marveling at how strong some became in later years. Unfortunately this was not true for Clefty. I can only remember with fondness the years I walked and breathed without excruciating pain.

The question is, when do the top journalists hit their prime?

Cleft Crusty
04-27-2010, 12:21 PM

The question is, when do the top journalists hit their prime?

If I ever run across one, I'll ask.

packerbacker1234
04-28-2010, 01:08 AM
What I think is neat about is his attitude. I mean, it's not so much of a heart warming story as it is of a military person who returned to play football.

He was a marine, the elite in this country. He was a soldier first, a football player second. he doesn't have the 10 years of wear and tear a normal 33 year old NFL player has. He may be the the best in shape 33 year old in the league, in terms of how long his body can hold up.

Not saying he will make the roster, but who knows? He may be really good, even fi he only has a 5 year window in the league.

Gunakor
04-28-2010, 04:01 AM
What I think is neat about is his attitude. I mean, it's not so much of a heart warming story as it is of a military person who returned to play football.

He was a marine, the elite in this country. He was a soldier first, a football player second.

You're thinking of a Pat Tillman type story. This isn't the same. It's not like he humbly and willingly put aside a dream for some greater good. He didn't enlist in an act of patriotism to begin with. He enlisted so that he could get his own shit together. His football dream was taken away from him when he got arrested, which happened prior to his decision to enlist. I admire him for getting his own life straightened out, but the football part of this story is a mere afterthought IMO.