PDA

View Full Version : One thing I found strange this weekend. . . .

RashanGary
04-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Joe Philbin had a draft press conference after the Bulaga pick where he talked about how the coaches looked at players, then let the personnel guys know who would fit in their scheme. He went on to say a guy might be great for someone else, but not fit here.

McCarthy came out in the last day and said their in the buisness of taking good football players. Said it sounds simple, but when you start drifting for need or, "this guy doesn't fit us", you get away from it. Said those are mindsets you need to stay away from.

Strange. His OC said the exact opposite on Friday. Are these two on the same page?

retailguy
04-26-2010, 09:30 PM
sometimes it's hard to keep all the stories straight. :P Confusion is bound to happen. :twisted:

swede
04-26-2010, 09:30 PM
M...N...O...P...

They should be pretty close anyway.

I hear those guys say over and over that they are interested in good football players...had they dropped we would have taken Okung or Trent williams. They are different then Bulaga but they are good football players and they would have fit well.

they didn't drop, and Bulaga is in the same league. We did great with that pick.

I get what you are saying, but they are asked to talk and talk and talk.
Better to measure them by what they do.

Sparkey
04-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Joe Philbin had a draft press conference after the Bulaga pick where he talked about how the coaches looked at players, then let the personnel guys know who would fit in their scheme. He went on to say a guy might be great for someone else, but not fit here.

McCarthy came out in the last day and said their in the buisness of taking good football players. Said it sounds simple, but when you start drifting for need or, "this guy doesn't fit us", you get away from it. Said those are mindsets you need to stay away from.

Strange. His OC said the exact opposite on Friday. Are these two on the same page?

I think he (Philbin) is speaking strictly to the zbs schemes they run with their lineman, as opposed to players in general. In that respect, a big tackle with slow feet would not fit as well as a slightly smaller guy with light feet and good balance. I don't think either was contradicting the other.

Lurker64
04-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Simple. Guys who don't fit us aren't good football players. Guys who are good football players, would fit out scheme.

It's all just a matter of making your definitions circular enough, and you can equivocate until the cows come home. Or at least you can call a cow whatever does come home.

pbmax
04-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Philbin told you what the coaches are asked to evaluate. McCarthy told you that the GM isn't going to turn down a gifted player just because he can't be projected

The first is a single criteria, the second is an admission that the criteria is not disqualifying. Capers, McCarthy and Thompson have all talked about body types necessary for Capers 3-4. Its clear that Thompson drafts with that in mind. But I doubt he has been crossing players off his list because they haven't run ZBS or been a 3-4 DE. Its one factor, and if two players are rated equally in production and measurables, then the guy who projects to the scheme is going to get picked.

Newhouse rarely put his hand down on the ground as tackle. But that didn't stop the team from picking him.