PDA

View Full Version : PORTER FREE TO LEAVE?! CAN LINCOLN HELP?! HELP ON THE WAY?

gbpackfan
08-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Raiders | Willing to let Porter walk
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 19:47:14 -0700

Steve Corkran, of the Contra Costa Times, reports Oakland Raiders managing general partner Al Davis said WR Jerry Porter has "lost his way" and is free to leave the team. He has four years remaining on a five-year deal, but Davis said that is not a problem as long as Porter pays back the $4 million signing bonus the team gave him for this season and his agent, Joel Segal, is able to find a trading partner willing to part with suitable compensation. The team said no other teams have contacted them about Porter.

Cowboys | Team passes on L. Kennedy
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 18:12:32 -0700

Rob Phillips, of DallasCowboys.com, reports the Dallas Cowboys have passed on retired OT Lincoln Kennedy (Raiders). Kennedy has not played since the 2003 season.

Here are two guys that might be worth going after. Kennedy hasn't played in awhile but might be worth a LOOK. If Porter is indeed set free, let's get him up here and sign him!!!!

What do you think?

pittstang5
08-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Lincoln Kennedy! Wow! I didn't even know he was back. Cut from the Raiders...that doesn't help one's resume. I much rather see him on NFL Channel's Total Access than on the Packers Roster.

BallHawk
08-01-2006, 10:20 PM
If TT got Porter that would instantly make our offense better. We saw what Porter can do in 2004 and he still put up good numbers in 2005 with out a good QB. It's unlikely we will get him, but if Thompson could get him...

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 10:22 PM
I'll bet that the Eagles get into the fray for this player.Wondering how much money Dallas has? Could even Bill Parcells deal with that?

Owens and Porter in Dallas likely wouldn't work though, as the rumor has JP upset to be taking a back seat to Moss.

the_idle_threat
08-01-2006, 10:35 PM
The title of this thread had me thinking Emancipation Proclamation and send in the troops.

Partial
08-01-2006, 10:36 PM
I don't know that I want Jerry Porter. He gets paid a lot more money than he's worth in my opinion. I for one think Brett Favre can get by with below average receivers if he has a running game/oline

SD GB fan
08-01-2006, 10:47 PM
i heard the raiders want two first round picks for porter :shock:

wtf? he isnt randy moss

the_idle_threat
08-01-2006, 10:56 PM
We should try to do a sign-and-trade with Jamal Reynolds and Antuan Edwards.

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 12:28 AM
We should try to do a sign-and-trade with Jamal Reynolds and Antuan Edwards.

Toss in Hunt for good measure. :mrgreen:

the_idle_threat
08-02-2006, 01:12 AM
Absolutely. Two first-round picks in Reynolds and Edwards, plus Hunt---who I think was a third-round pick---is more than enough for Porter. It would be a fair trade too. All of them---including Porter---are worthless.

Willard
08-02-2006, 01:43 AM
I don't know what "Packer People" means, but I'm pretty sure Porter aint Packer People. Pretty please pass on the prickly Porter.

Bretsky
08-02-2006, 02:27 AM
Ferguson and a bag of Dunkin Donuts for Jerry Porter ?

mraynrand
08-02-2006, 03:46 AM
The title of this thread had me thinking Emancipation Proclamation and send in the troops.

Hopefully the resolution of Porter's contract difficulties won't cost the country 600,000 lives and four years of bloodshed.

CaliforniaCheez
08-02-2006, 04:54 AM
I, being in the Raiders television coverage area(home games are blacked out), think you are underestimating Porter. He has been limited due to playing with Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, and Randy Moss.

He is a good receiver. I would rather have him than any receiver on the Packers except Driver and Jennings. Porter is at the peak of his abilities and a great QB like Favre would help showcase his talent.

More than anything Porter needs a better chance in the NFL than with the Raiders.

Rastak
08-02-2006, 06:44 AM
I, being in the Raiders television coverage area(home games are blacked out), think you are underestimating Porter. He has been limited due to playing with Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, and Randy Moss.

He is a good receiver. I would rather have him than any receiver on the Packers except Driver and Jennings. Porter is at the peak of his abilities and a great QB like Favre would help showcase his talent.

More than anything Porter needs a better chance in the NFL than with the Raiders.

You'd rather have Jennings than Porter?

red
08-02-2006, 07:46 AM
1 thing to keep in mind when talking about bringing in new guys to help out at this point

our giant almost never ending amount of free cap room is now almost gone. as of yesterday i saw that we have only about 3.5 million left. and it would be nice to keep a lot of that incase we run into the injury bug again this year like last year so we can sign a few players so we can put a team on the field

and i have a feeling if porter goes anywhere he's going to want a monster deal

Creepy
08-02-2006, 07:56 AM
If report is real it won't happen. Porter woulkd have to pay back the 4M in pay (bonus) and then Davis would have to ok the deal. It is not a release, or Porter may have been willing to give the 4M back. Anybody who gets Porter better be ready to pay big bucks as he will want his 4M and more back.

prsnfoto
08-02-2006, 08:29 AM
1 thing to keep in mind when talking about bringing in new guys to help out at this point

our giant almost never ending amount of free cap room is now almost gone. as of yesterday i saw that we have only about 3.5 million left. and it would be nice to keep a lot of that incase we run into the injury bug again this year like last year so we can sign a few players so we can put a team on the field

Pack should have plenty of money you have to remember 35 guys are getting cut from this roster, and there may be some surprises that are more than minimum guys like Ferguson.

Tony Oday
08-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Work out a Trade for porter with Furgie. Furgie has proven he cant play here. Porter has the vertical speed and I thkn would do well in a offense that is captained by the immortal one.

Sign him to a "one" year deal like Ty Law signs every year and give him the bonus money that he has to pay back. IF he is good we get him for a couple more years. If not boot him.

WE need some ammunition for the iron man!!!!

Lincoln Kenedy would be a decent camp body and we need vets on the line because we dont have any backing up people.

Willard
08-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Answer: Ovarian & Jerry Porter

Question: What 2 cancers are unlikely to be found in the Packers locker room this season?

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 11:08 AM

You'd rather have Jennings than Porter?

" He is a good receiver. I would rather have him than any receiver on the Packers except Driver and Jennings " CaliforniaCheez

I like him with us also. If TT can make this happen - it's only got to make us better on Offense. :mrgreen:

Driver, Porter, Jennings, and two of Gardner or Ferguson or Boerigter and say a fella that is working his tail off - Ruvell Martin - is a solid receiving Unit (as an option) if we go with 6 WR's?

Lots for Brett Favre to work with passing in 2006.

GO PACKERS and GM Ted Thompson !!

Creepy
08-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Tony Oday,
davis still has to approve the deal. Do you honestlybelieve he will give up Porter for Ferguson just because he paid back the 4M? Do you belive that Porter will sign for less than the same contract that he got orbetter fromOakland last year?

Porter is a Raider and is staying in Oakland whether he likes it or not. WR are watching Walker & Owens and now think they can just jump up and say trade me now or I won't play. GB got a #2 for Walker and got rid of a cancer. The Raiders are not taking a cap hit, orletting Porter run along because he whined. There is no upside for the Raiders, and Porter knows it.

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Tony Oday,
davis still has to approve the deal. Do you honestlybelieve he will give up Porter for Ferguson just because he paid back the 4M? Do you belive that Porter will sign for less than the same contract that he got orbetter fromOakland last year?

Porter is a Raider and is staying in Oakland whether he likes it or not. WR are watching Walker & Owens and now think they can just jump up and say trade me now or I won't play. GB got a #2 for Walker and got rid of a cancer. The Raiders are not taking a cap hit, orletting Porter run along because he whined. There is no upside for the Raiders, and Porter knows it.

Tony! Tony - Tony !!!

Whatever YOU say !!!!!

Ferguson and a 4th for Jerry Porter is what I'd offer. DAM - Al Davis wants Porter to return something like $4 Million smackers!

Javon Walker? Did T2 - go to school ???

In fact - I believe T2 did the best he could with the Javooooon scream!

Yet !! What about the next Packer we are counting on that decides to take a "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest " - mind fart break?

Are you on that learning curve every day T2 ???

Tony Oday
08-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Hey I dont think it will happen either :) but I forgot that I was going to throw in a 4th rounder too. mistype. HOWEVER this wont happen but I wouldnt be mad if it did!

red
08-02-2006, 01:46 PM

Pack should have plenty of money you have to remember 35 guys are getting cut from this roster, and there may be some surprises that are more than minimum guys like Ferguson.

but most of those guys are counting the minimum now, meaning if they get cut it won't do anything to our cap number. only the highest paid 53 count against the cap at any time, so alot of the camp bodies we have in now that will get trimmed aren't counting against the cap now anyways

i agee we might cut a vet and gain some more cap room, but i don't think theres a lot left to gain by cutting the vets we have left. really, whose left to get rid of ? i can't think of any other then ferguson

the_idle_threat
08-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Answer: Ovarian & Jerry Porter

Question: What 2 cancers are unlikely to be found in the Packers locker room this season?

:lol:

swede
08-02-2006, 02:34 PM

Hopefully the resolution of Porter's contract difficulties won't cost the country 600,000 lives and four years of bloodshed.

Smart remark withdrawn in the interest of peace.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 02:47 PM

awe, come on, swede, give sarcasm a chance.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Harlan should change his name to either the Instigator or the Contrarian.

the_idle_threat
08-02-2006, 04:35 PM

Awwww now you got me wondering ... PM me, and if I'm offended or something, we can have a PM flame war! :D

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Guys and Gals:

I don't think that T2 would budge on trying to acquire Porter from many stand points but I just can't get this - my consciousness. What my guts say to me, as that isn't objective.

So, I'll be as objective as I can be.

I want Brett Favre to break Marino's TD pass record this season and Jerry Porter would certainly move that along. This is a quality receiver that doesn't come available, except in FA. Then - he would be his own Captain.

If he could be brought in. Favre with Driver and Porter, as the starting WR's seems very sweet to me. It certainly upgrades OUR "O".

I don't give "a begger's DAM" about what they say about his attitude. Wouldn't he love working with future HOFer Brett Favre? Being a Green Bay Packer may also intrigue him?

Would the addition of Jerry Porter to OUR team, possibly prolong Brett's career? I believe so. Brett Favre wants to win first - Jerry Porter would be a boost there. :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS !

run pMc
08-02-2006, 05:00 PM
I think the WRs are suspect behind Driver. Porter is too much of a head case, and he'd cost too much (in terms of a trade w/ OAK + a nice new fat contract).
Given the offseason trades (Javon, Culpecker, etc.), I could see somebody offering a 3rd round pick, but odds are good he won't land here.

Fun to dream, though.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 05:49 PM
I think the WRs are suspect behind Driver. Porter is too much of a head case, and he'd cost too much (in terms of a trade w/ OAK + a nice new fat contract). Given the offseason trades (Javon, Culpecker, etc.), I could see somebody offering a 3rd round pick, but odds are good he won't land here.

Fun to dream, though.

Can't really argue with anything you wrote. Welcome to the board.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Harlan should change his name to either the Instigator or the Contrarian.

yes!!!!!!!!

And over my icon will be printed a Scarlet IC, for Instigator / Contrarian!

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 09:29 PM
I miss the blue dog avartar.

MJZiggy
08-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Me too.

Bretsky
08-02-2006, 09:44 PM
I think the WRs are suspect behind Driver. Porter is too much of a head case, and he'd cost too much (in terms of a trade w/ OAK + a nice new fat contract).
Given the offseason trades (Javon, Culpecker, etc.), I could see somebody offering a 3rd round pick, but odds are good he won't land here.

Fun to dream, though.

WELCOME TO PR and I'd agree with ya.

I'd give a 4th for Porter in a second; maybe a third as well. Randel El or David Givens would have been nice FA signings. Ya have to be worried about our WR situation when the Annual Ferguson article comes out

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 09:45 PM
You know it won best avartar last year, right? This Conan dog has no shot at winning--unless Harlan whines like a lil' bee'otch again.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Randel El is so overrated. I'm glad we didn't spend $5-6M/year on him. Watch him bust in Washington.

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 01:39 AM
I miss the blue dog avartar.

Yaaaaaa. Dogs don't smoke Havana's.

They can't afford them.

Creepy
08-03-2006, 07:01 AM
Don't count on Randle El flopping in Washington. he was brought in to take pressure off Moss. Last year Moss had a great year without a solid #2 receiver to help. El is a good #2 and will allow Moss spme breathing room. Randle El went to the one team that wants him to be what he was in Pittsburgh.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2006, 08:07 AM
They also brought in Brandon Lloyd, and it remains to be seen if Randle El will even start in Washington. Don't expect more than about 50-60 catches for about 700 yards from Randle El. When you get $5-6M/year, you are overpaid. I think overrated too because there are many people that think he's worth that and praised the Redskins for signing him.

Creepy
08-03-2006, 08:56 AM
50-60 catches and around 700 yards, you didn't include the kcik-offs or punt returns. The DE staying home to protect against the end around or WR option. El as a decoy is worth the low yards & receptions. His ST already is a mrked improvement.

The Redskins have a great ground game with Portis, they now have a secondary target to help get Moss loose. This was a better pick-up than the Cowboys getting TO. TO helped onlythe O, and is still a possible cancer to the team. El improves the offense and ST, which isthe overall team.

The loser in this is Pittsburgh. Think their starting WR isn't going to miss El? This year Ben is going to have to show a little more as a QB. No Bus and the El has left the station.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2006, 09:37 AM
I don't think Randle El is that good as a receiver. He's good on returns, but I think Brandon Lloyd will be better as a receiver than Randle El in Washington.