blazing speed

and a new guy to cheer for :!: :!:

swede
04-27-2010, 11:56 PM
Nice!

Can he punt?

Lurker64
04-28-2010, 12:05 AM
Probably my favorite non-Packer player when I was growing up was Steve Tasker. There's something just exciting and refreshing about guys who are gunners and just freaking love causing havoc on special teams.

packerbacker1234
04-28-2010, 12:42 AM
Yeah he is freakishly fast and sounds very excited to be a top guy on special teams in terms of the coverage department. He said he wouldn't mind a shot at returning kicks and is excited to work behind Charles Woodson to help improve his skillset at corner.

Sounds like he could be a project corner to replace Bush, but could be an immediate impact guy on special teams. Solid signing.

MadScientist
04-28-2010, 01:18 AM
Wow, the Packers may just have found a guy fast enough to cover the crappy low hang time punts. Hope the guy makes it. They always disparage the 40 times at the combo by saying you only run 40 yards when something very good or very bad happens, but it happens on almost every punt or kick-off. 4.3 is some serious speed for the 40.

Fritz
04-28-2010, 05:42 AM
It's that time of the year for the feel-good stories about 7th round picks and undrafted guys. All good fun.

At the same time, if the JSO ran an article about the signing of my dead grandmother as a special teams ace, we'd still all be pumped about her replacing Jarrett Bush...

RashanGary
04-28-2010, 07:26 AM
Well, we have a bunch of non drafted free agents and about 5 of them have intriguing qualities.

This guy is fast, raw at corner and great on ST's. The QB has a huge arm, is built like Zeus and his ex-coach seems to think he's something special. The three OLB's are all switching positions, but have the height/weight/speed combo you're looking for out there and some production at stopping the run and rushing the passer.

We'll see. The CB, QB and OLB's. . . . They're all at the three spots you can come in to this camp and make the team. I think there's a good chance at least one of these guys make it and I wouldn't be surprised if 2 did. If MM loves the QB, we'll try to stash him on the PS but if he somehow tears it up in presesaon, we'll have to put him on the 53.

MichiganPackerFan
04-28-2010, 08:51 AM
It sounds like he can cover on special teams and that was was a HUGE hole last year...

rbaloha1
04-28-2010, 11:24 AM
A black Travis Jervey -- Yes!

3irty1
04-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Sounds like a worse Will Blackmon to me. Super raw at corner, probably won't ever get there. Only this guy is a gunner instead of a returner.

Freak Out
04-28-2010, 12:23 PM

Does he have the body though?

sharpe1027
04-28-2010, 12:25 PM

Not until he buys a tiger.

packers11
04-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Sounds like a worse Will Blackmon to me. Super raw at corner, probably won't ever get there. Only this guy is a gunner instead of a returner.

Mike Hawkins? :lol:

mission
04-28-2010, 01:31 PM

1 - He hasn't got injured every year
2 - He's about .2 faster than Blackmon
3 - He returned a kick vs the Badgers for a TD

No one will mind if you just want to delete your post :P

Tarlam!
04-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Well, I'm pretty pumped about a guy who wants to play ST and learn behind the vets.

I like the reasons he gave for choosing to make The Packers team. The article makes him seem confident, yet humble.

The fact that 7 teams made him an offer is some kind of endorsement.

And I love the "tough, wiry" description and not often being "manhandled at the LOS". Sounds a lot like I'd describe Al Harris.

He's 1/2 shorter and 4lbs lighter a 0.01 seconds slower over 40 yards as another WR-turned-CB: Devin Hester. Our new guy wants a crack at the KR/PR gig.

If he can cure his drops he might line up one day at WR, if he learns to play the ball better, he might be usable in the secondary. At any rate he could be very versatile with hard work, good coaching and seasoning.

Sounds like a great prospect to me.

Patler
04-28-2010, 01:45 PM

1 - Will Blackmon was never injured in college either. Played in 48 games, never missed a game.

2 - Blackmon was a DB for 3 seasons, switched to WR as a senior for team need, and led the team in receptions and receiving yardage. Played both WR and CB some that season. Earned all-conference mentions three seasons.

3 - Blackmon barely missed the NCAA 1-A career record for kickoff return yardage.

4 - Blackmon returned both a punt and a kickoff for TDs in one season.

Lurker64
04-28-2010, 02:16 PM
You can never have enough gunners who are legitimately fast and tough people who are crazy and want to get down the field and kill somebody by launching their body at the ballcarrier with reckless abandon on your 80 man roster.

Well, maybe if you had like 50 of them, but your special teams would be terrifying!

Tarlam!
04-28-2010, 03:10 PM
I think they should make "Gunner" an official position, like LS, KR, PR. I'd also like to see our depth chart for all 11 ST positions.

I don't understand enough about ST's to know what anyone is supposed to be doing with the exception of K & P and LS....

Brandon494
04-28-2010, 03:29 PM
I'll be rooting for this guy to make the team for sure. Reminds me a lot of Blackmon.

BlueBrewer
04-28-2010, 03:40 PM

Not until he buys a tiger.

i thought it was a lion. And they were snaring deer.

mraynrand
04-28-2010, 05:08 PM

1 - Will Blackmon was never injured in college either. Played in 48 games, never missed a game.

2 - Blackmon was a DB for 3 seasons, switched to WR as a senior for team need, and led the team in receptions and receiving yardage. Played both WR and CB some that season. Earned all-conference mentions three seasons.

3 - Blackmon barely missed the NCAA 1-A career record for kickoff return yardage.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Patlerized.jpg

sharpe1027
04-28-2010, 05:48 PM
i thought it was a lion. And they were snaring deer.

That might be, I get them confused because when Holgrem told him "no lion" and Jervey told the media that he wanted a tiger instead. I forget which one he was getting.

Lurker64
04-28-2010, 05:55 PM
If I recall correctly, Jervey used to live with LeShon Johnson. Between the two of them, they had 18 pit bulls and a female lion named Nala (who was very young, and not fully grown). When he had to get rid of it, I think he sent it to a ranch in Oklahoma.

swede
04-28-2010, 07:16 PM
"The Citadel" used to not say he wasn't Jervey back at JSO.

green_bowl_packer
04-28-2010, 07:51 PM
If I recall correctly, Jervey used to live with LeShon Johnson. Between the two of them, they had 18 pit bulls and a female lion named Nala (who was very young, and not fully grown). When he had to get rid of it, I think he sent it to a ranch in Oklahoma.

I think the dogs were LeShon's. He's in Mike Vick territory.

http://www.pet-abuse.com/profiles/1912/

mission
04-28-2010, 10:00 PM

dang it!! :lol:

CaliforniaCheez
04-29-2010, 07:48 AM
The Packers coaching staff has done a lot of work with guys that are "raw" and gotten them jobs elsewhere in the NFL.

The Packers do give undrafted rookies a fair shot and have a good reputation for it.

If he can grow up, spend some time on the practice squad learning, he might become a Jarret Bush type player.

There are plenty of players in the NFL that make $7500/reception.
One 50 yard return during the season would make this guy worth his $7500 signing bonus.

swede
04-29-2010, 12:10 PM
There are plenty of players in the NFL that make $7500/reception.

Pfft!

JaMarcus Russell made 2 mil per TD.

MadScientist
04-29-2010, 02:38 PM
If he can grow up, spend some time on the practice squad learning, he might become a Jarret Bush type player.
Is that damning with faint praise or just plain damning.

This kid has some raw ability that can't be taught, and a great attitude. If he stays healthy and learns well, he could be a good ST upgrade. The real risk of putting him on the roster is that a run of injuries at CB like last year could force him on to the field when he is not ready. Even then he may not be any worse than any other option for #7 CB.

RashanGary
04-29-2010, 03:03 PM
We'll see how it pans out. Blackmon sucks on defense. Bush is well below average on defense. We'll see how this guy fits in. If he shows signs on defense and is great on ST's, I'd rather have a high upside guy that we don't know what he might be than two that we know what they are.

RashanGary
04-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Every team needs to put some resources into developing talent. Blackmon's spot, to me, is a prime spot to give to a promising but raw rookie.

Brandon494
04-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Why not just move him back to WR?

Blackmon played WR his final year at BC but we drafted him as a CB because he played there 3 years prior just like Shields at WR. Do you think he has more pontenial as a CB? From what I hear he is pretty raw and I think he has a better chance to make the team as the 5th WR and star special teams player.

Lurker64
04-29-2010, 06:28 PM

Blackmon played WR his final year at BC but we drafted him as a CB because he played there 3 years prior just like Shields at WR. Do you think he has more pontenial as a CB? From what I hear he is pretty raw and I think he has a better chance to make the team as the 5th WR and star special teams player.

We don't really have room on the roster for a project WR. Project CB? Sure. There are situations where he might see the field. But in order for a green-as-seasick-grass WR to actually see the field, there's going to need to be a lot of major injuries to skill players.

Brandon494
04-29-2010, 06:34 PM

We don't really have room on the roster for a project WR. Project CB? Sure. There are situations where he might see the field. But in order for a green-as-seasick-grass WR to actually see the field, there's going to need to be a lot of major injuries to skill players.

How so?

I think we have better depth at WR than CB. Who was our 5th reciever when Swain went down? Also before we got injuried on special teams (which Shields excels at) he rarely got any playing time on offense. You have to also remember Finley will be lining up in the slot a lot as well.

Joemailman
04-29-2010, 06:43 PM

Right now the Packers have 4 excellent WR's, and then a huge dropoff. Who does he have to beat out to become the 5 WR? Brett Swain? Hardly a long shot.

Bretsky
02-24-2011, 11:59 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/92279204.html

7500 bonus
blazing speed

and a new guy to cheer for :!: :!:

A GOOD OLD BUMP FOR OLD TIMES SAKE; WHAT A FIND THIS GUY ENDED UP BEING

TG we have quality secondary coaches as opposed to the old muck in Notenheimer !!

Lurker64
02-25-2011, 02:55 AM
Amazing how Shields turned out to be an excellent cornerback, and yet our special teams still sucked in coverage for most of the year (and the people who really saved it towards the end of the year were Jarret Bush and the punter!?!?!).

Last time I ever get excited about an undrafted free agent's prospects as a gunner.

Fritz
02-25-2011, 07:36 AM
Ummm...I was wrong to tell people not to get too excited about Sam Shields. Doh!

mission
02-25-2011, 08:13 AM

Boom!!

SkinBasket
02-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Ummm...I was wrong to tell people not to get too excited about Sam Shields. Doh!

I'm starting to get the feeling that B's gunning for you today.

pbmax
02-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Shields Patlerized us all. He wasn't wasn't a poor man's Blackmon or Bush. He was freaking Tramon Williams all over again.

get louder at lambeau
02-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Shields Patlerized us all. He wasn't wasn't a poor man's Blackmon or Bush. He was freaking Tramon Williams all over again.

He might be even more than that. How about Darrell Green all over again?

pbmax
02-25-2011, 01:28 PM
He might be even more than that. How about Darrell Green all over again?

He's not the returner Green was, for one.

vince
02-25-2011, 01:36 PM
We can only hope that Shields ends up being All-Pro caliber like Tramon, but so far he's out-Tramoned Tramon, who spent his first year on the practice squad.

Fritz
02-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Can Shields be called a draft day steal if he wasn't even drafted?

Smidgeon
02-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Can Shields be called a draft day steal if he wasn't even drafted?

I was thinking about that in the other thread but ultimately decided not. He would be an undrafted free agent steal.