PDA

View Full Version : August 1st Christl Report

Partial
08-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Camp Report, Aug. 1

THUMBS UP

It was wide receiver Rod Gardner’s third day of practice Tuesday and also his coming out party, so to speak. In the morning, Gardner caught a touchdown pass from quarterback Aaron Rodgers on a post pattern, making a tough catch over cornerback Ahmad Carroll. In the evening session, Gardner had three more catches. He caught a deep ball from quarterback Brett Favre in seven-on-seven. He also caught a short out from Rodgers. In Gardner’s first three practices, he had one catch in team and seven-on-seven sessions.

THUMBS DOWN
It’s hard to know what to make of the Packers’ tight end situation at this point. Tight end Bubba Franks caught a pass in the morning session and four more at night in team and seven-on-seven periods, but he had been having a quiet camp up until then. In the first five practices, he had just three catches. But offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said he wasn’t concerned. “He’ll be okay,” promised Jagodzinski. “He’ll catch his share of balls this year.” Nevertheless, all eight of Franks’ catches have been in the short to medium range with an emphasis on the short.

Backups David Martin, Donald Lee and Tory Humphrey all run faster than Franks and have made more plays down the field. Over the first seven practices, David Martin has caught 12 passes; Lee, 11; and Humphrey, 5. But Tuesday night, Lee had two drops and Martin another, all on easy passes, and they also seemed to be having trouble breaking free from coverage.

INJURY REPORT
Chad Clifton (knee), Junius Coston (heat related), Arliss Beach (head) and Patrick Dendy (ankle) missed both practices.

Wide receivers Cory Rodgers (hamstring) and Leo Bookman (ankle), running back Najeh Davenport (ankle) and cornerback Mike Hawkins (knee) missed the morning practice and returned at night.

Favre was kicked in the calf late in the evening practice and had an ice pack strapped to it.

ODDS & ENDS
Just as they struggled in the two-minute drill in the off-season workouts, the Packers’ offense failed twice at the end of the evening practice. On the first play from the 24-yard line, Favre hit rookie wide receiver Greg Jennings with a 57-yard strike down the sideline. But a series of mistakes put the offense in a fourth-and-24 situation and Favre threw an interception down the middle to rookie safety Tra Boger. Rodgers, on his turn, threw four straight incomplete passes.

Punting from the opponents’ 45-yard line, Jon Ryan struggled with his directional kicking. Five of his 21 punts were shanks. He also had seven touchbacks. Only five were downed or landed inside the 10. B.J. Sander kicked more consistently, but only three of his 20 punts were downed or landed inside the 10.

The offensive line struggled in one-on-one pass blocking. William Whitticker was whipped twice by Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila. Chris White was pushed back twice by Kenderick Allen and Corey Williams. Aaron Kampman also beat Mark Tauscher twice.

ON THIS DAY

Aug. 2, 2005 – In his first news conference of training camp, quarterback Brett Favre talked about his rigorous off-season workouts and admitted that he hadn’t come to camp in the best of shape in recent years. “I know it’s always upset me when I came into camp and saw a guy out of shape,” said Favre. “I’ve seen it done right and somewhat right, and I’ve seen guys do it wrong. I felt I was turning into one of those guys. The last two or three years, I had cheated myself, which obviously ends up cheating your teammates.” Favre reported to camp at 217 pounds, down about 10 from last year.

SCHEDULE TODAY

The Packers are scheduled to hold one practice at 2 p.m. The players are scheduled to wear pads.