PDA

View Full Version : Highlights from Tuesday night's practice

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Highlights from Tuesday night's practice
Highlights from the 11-on-11 team drills included:

* Kenny Peterson knocked down a Brett Favre pass over the middle that was intended for tight end Donald Lee.

* Quarterback Aaron Rodgers hit Samkon Gado on a short pass over the middle against the No. 2 defense, and Gado took it in stride into the end zone.

* Cornerback Ahmad Carroll displayed good coverage in breaking up a deep pass from Rodgers to Donald Driver.

Some highlights from the seven-on-seven drills included:

* Favre connected on a deep pass to Rod Gardner.

* Rodgers completed a nice pass to Ruvell Martin, who eluded cornerback Tyrone Culver and took it into the end zone.

The skies were overcast for the Tuesday night practice, and there were skattered sprinkles and gusts of wind. At 8:25 p.m., the rain started to pick up, although players remained on the field. The rain stopped a short time later.

— Mike Vandermause, sports editor, Green Bay Press-Gazette

Punters Sander, Ryan square off

Punters B.J. Sander and Jon Ryan participated in a drill in which they attempted to place the ball inside the 10-yard line. Kicking from the opponents’ 45-yard line, Ryan landed four of 10 punts inside the 10 and one was fair caught at the 10. Sander, meanwhile, placed three of 10 inside the 10 and one was fair caught at the 10.

-- Rob Demovsky, reporter, Green Bay Press-Gazette

Davenport, C. Rodgers, Hawkins return to practice

Three players who didn’t practice Tuesday morning — running back Najeh Davenport, receiver Cory Rodgers and cornerback Mike Hawkins — were suited up and working out at Tuesday night’s full-pads practice. Guard Junius Coston was not practicing Tuesday night. He also sat out the morning practice.

-- Rob Demosky, reporter, Green Bay Press-Gazette

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-01-2006, 11:20 PM
"Cornerback Ahmad Carroll displayed good coverage in breaking up a deep pass from Rodgers to Donald Driver. "

Seems like I only hear good things about Caroll lately, interesting......... :D

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 11:29 PM
Carroll beat twice, intercepts Favre once

In one-on-one passing drills Monday afternoon,

Ahmad Carroll got beat deep by Robert Ferguson and short by Calvin Russell. Later in 7-on-7 drills, Carroll intercepted a Favre pass intended for tight end Tory Humphrey.

-- Mike Vandermause, sports editor, Green Bay Press-Gazette

MadtownPacker
08-01-2006, 11:32 PM
"Cornerback Ahmad Carroll displayed good coverage in breaking up a deep pass from Rodgers to Donald Driver. "

Seems like I only hear good things about Caroll lately, interesting......... :DInteresting but not surprising. The light turned on for Carroll towards the end of last season. The only surprise to me would be if he doesn't outperform Harris and Woodson. He is younger, faster, healthier, and hungrier too!

Partial
08-01-2006, 11:39 PM

Seems like I only hear good things about Caroll lately, interesting......... :DInteresting but not surprising. The light turned on for Carroll towards the end of last season. The only surprise to me would be if he doesn't outperform Harris and Woodson. He is younger, faster, healthier, and hungrier too!

Yes, but Woodson is a legitamate shutdown corner. Yes, he has been humbled by injuries, but have you seen that cat when he's on? The only one who's better is Champ. No way does he beat out Chuck, but I agree he could beat out Harris.

SD GB fan
08-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Yes, but Woodson is a legitamate shutdown corner. Yes, he has been humbled by injuries, but have you seen that cat when he's on? The only one who's better is Champ. No way does he beat out Chuck, but I agree he could beat out Harris.

beating out harris is possible but carroll is going to have turn over another gear. yes carroll is more physically talented but harris has perfect technique. he knows wat to do with different WRs. that beats out speed any day just how good hands and routes are better than blazing speed or high verticals for WRs.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 01:06 AM
The Packers' first live two-minute drill in this year's training camp started with a bang but quickly fizzled during Tuesday night's practice.

The scenario put the No. 1 offense on its own 24-yard line with 1:45 on the clock, two timeouts, and a 14-10 deficit. Against the dime defense (six defensive backs), Brett Favre hit Greg Jennings deep down the sideline on the opening play for a 57-yard gain to the 19. Jennings made a nice catch against tight coverage from Jason Horton.

Favre then hit Bubba Franks for a 5-yard gain to the 14, but the drive stalled there. A run by Samkon Gado lost 3 yards and two penalties pushed the offense back another 15 yards. Then on fourth-and-long from the 32, Favre's deep ball down the middle seam to tight end David Martin was picked off by Tra Boger.

Head Coach Mike McCarthy was more frustrated the offense couldn't finish what it started than pleased the defense found a way to get the stop.

"When you're calling plays, I'm obviously rooting for the offense," McCarthy said. "But I'm proud of the defense.

"If you get hit on a big play like that -- the failure was more self-destructive because of the offense's penalties -- but that's a big-time stand for the defense."

McCarthy added that on the final play Favre made the correct read because Martin was the only receiver in single coverage, but the pass just didn't get through.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 01:07 AM
Getting adjusted

Much was made during mini-camps and the organized team activities of Gado's struggles to adapt to the new zone-blocking scheme, but he has looked much smoother and more decisive when his number has been called thus far in camp.

"I think Samkon, the way he runs the football, he's a guy you're going to see be more productive when he puts the pads on," McCarthy said. "He's not a slithery ... he's more of a power runner. I've been very pleased with him once we got into the padded work."

Gado confessed he probably makes the scheme more complicated than it needs to be, but he is letting his natural football instincts dictate his play more and it's helping him.

"I still think I have a long ways to go, but I'm encouraged with the growth I've seen so far," Gado said. "The thing that needs to be done is just to turn your brain off and just play. That's where I think the progress begins, not so much thinking. That's what I was doing before, thinking, and you can't do that out there."

Not so new

One player who hasn't had much trouble adjusting to the zone-blocking scheme is center Scott Wells, who played in a similar system at the University of Tennessee.

"I feel natural at it," he said. "I feel very comfortable with doing the reach blocking, trying to pick up linebackers on the run. I feel I'm built for that system and look forward to it."

With two rookie guards likely to start on either side of him, Wells has been lumped into the "young" interior of the offensive line that must prove itself. A third-year pro who started 10 games last year at guard, Wells has considerably more experience than Daryn Colledge or Jason Spitz, though he has never been a full-time starter at center since his days at Tennessee.

But Wells doesn't necessarily want to label anyone "young" until it's revealed how they perform in a game.

"I think if you ask anybody on the line we feel comfortable and confident with what we've got," he said. "To us the age factor is not really an issue. With the amount of time we've put in OTAs and mini-camps, we feel comfortable with the scheme. The preseason games will definitely help to see how we react to the live bullets."

Just for show
On kickoff return work during the morning practice, receiver Donald Driver was taking turns as the deep man along with Robert Ferguson, Greg Jennings and Ahmad Carroll.

But don't expect Driver to be doing the job during a game.

McCarthy said special teams coach Mike Stock was just working different units and getting them all adequate repetitions. Driver may have just been filling in for Cory Rodgers on one particular unit.

"I've never been on a team, and especially since it's my team, where the starting flanker is catching kickoffs," McCarthy said.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 08:30 AM
I like Carroll, but no way is he gonna beat-out Al Harris. Not this year.

Row 67
08-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Its possible that if Woodson/Carrol havea good year, they can let Al Harris go after this year and go with Woodson/Carroll next year, and draft a corner in the top half of the draft to groom as Woodson's replacement.

Or, if Al Harris has a good year, they can show him a little love and have all three studs back next year.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 09:27 AM
I don't know why people assume Woodson is going to out-perform Harris. Harris has been a better player the last couple years.

I think it is more of the phenomena that fans want to believe in the incoming FA's, they know all the warts of the players who have been on the team for a while.

Same deal with Manual/Roman.

Partial
08-02-2006, 09:39 AM
I don't know why people assume Woodson is going to out-perform Harris. Harris has been a better player the last couple years.

I think it is more of the phenomena that fans want to believe in the incoming FA's, they know all the warts of the players who have been on the team for a while.

Same deal with Manual/Roman.

Woodson has been injured man. Plus, number one corners like Chuck don't get thrown on. When he's on his game and healthy, Champ is the only better corner in the league

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 09:45 AM
you might be right, Partial. I looked at his stats at NFL.com, and Woodson definitely peaked during first 3 years of his career, (passes defended, interceptions) even if you adjust for games played. He has been down since 2001.

A resurgence is possible, I'm sure he hasn't lost his talent. I just don't jump to conclusions that he will outperform steady Al.

Deputy Nutz
08-02-2006, 09:56 AM
The thing about Woodson that you have to remember is tha teams simply did not test him after his first season. The Raiders were weak at the other cornerback position and that is where teams looked to throw. The last couple of years, although mared by injury, Woodson was playing a rover like position in the Raiders 3-5-3 scheme. He was asked to be more active in the run, and also cover the slot one on one.

Again, Woodson never had the shut down ability at corner like Deon Sanders, but injuries did slow him, he would still be considered a top 3 corner in this league based on talent alone.

Hopefully the Packers use Woodson in as many phases of the game as possible, he is a type of player that needs to be kept interested, and having him return punts is a start. Hopefully Carroll can prove that he is choice 1b when it comes to fielding a starting roster so Woodson can be used as a returner and also on offense.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Move Woodson to safety, as many people who have followed him closely have suggested. Start Carroll.

(I think this will happen eventually.)

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Or, if Al Harris has a good year, they can show him a little love and have all three studs back next year.

Row 67;

That for me is the best case scenario.Al Harris has a really fine season and with Charles Woodson in OUR line-up Al will certainly be tested alot more this season.

I believe we will face more attack through the air also as OUR Offence comes back to where we need it to be.

I don't expect it all to happen at once but I believe we'll be pleased woth OUR team about 6 games into the season. It "wins" will hinge BIG TIME on the effectiveness of OUR OL. In any case OUR ground game will improve from 2005. It has too :mrgreen:

Ahmad Carroll will be a sound Nickleback. He'll grow watching and working with Woodson and Harris. Potentially, super mentors.

Anyone making any observations on Nick Collins?

I am also interested in any observation on the following:

Guard Siitupe Peko; (reading some decent things about him)

WR's Chris Francies, Rod Gardner and Marc Boerigter

(note - Ruvell Martin is looking pretty good, from my limited observation.) ***

How's RB Arliss Beach (serious concussion?) after he was mugged by Abdul Hodge in Sunday's practise - reported on - by OUR OWN GregJennings.?

Evidently in that same drill Vonta Leach absolutely destroyed Hawk. Picked him up, carried and slammed him hard onto the ground.I'll bet that opened Ha aaaawww wwwk's eyes, haha. Welcome to the NFL HAWK ! :mrgreen:

What's DE Michael Montgomery doing? Working hard or in a trance? In the NHL there's a syndrome or phenomena called " the sophomore jinx ". Alot of the time it gets second year players.

What's it about DT Ryan Pickett that bothers me? Look at photos of him in a thread I posted last night from:

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=galleryindex

*** and absolutely, you have to see the pic of WR Ruvell Martin making a reception just beyond two defenders or photo #15 of the August 1/06 practise.

How's Rookie DT Johnny Jolly looking. This young man has leadership potential if he sticks with us. How atletic does he appear to any of you?

Who is showing up best / second best so far, among these safety's? Better still - rank these young safety's, please:

Marviel Underwood,Tra Boger, Atari Bigby, and Tyrone Culver?

Homework too much ?? :mrgreen:

GO Packers !!

wist43
08-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Move Woodson to safety, as many people who have followed him closely have suggested. Start Carroll.

(I think this will happen eventually.)

Absolutely hate that idea. Do you really want to go back to the "11 corners" defense???

Manuel may or may not turn out to be a productive player, but at least he brings some toughness to the defense. Thompson has, to my amazement, made a conscience effort to bring in tougher, more hard nosed players like Manuel, Hawk, Poppinga, and Hodge.

Woodson is certainly not known for his physicality, and given that Barnett is one of the softest LB'ers in the league, the Packers would go right back to being soft, weak, and susceptible up the middle.

Like I said, I don't know if Manuel will turn out to be a player or not, but he at least represents the kind of toughness I expect at the position - Woodson, while a fine Corner, does not.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Like I said, I don't know if Manuel will turn out to be a player or not, but he at least represents the kind of toughness I expect at the position - Woodson, while a fine Corner, does not.

Wist, have you seen Woodson play? I haven't noticed him in the pros. You may be right, I am just repeating what I have read elswhere. Other people seem to think he can tackle.

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 10:42 AM
The thing about Woodson that you have to remember is tha teams simply did not test him after his first season. The Raiders were weak at the other cornerback position and that is where teams looked to throw. The last couple of years, although mared by injury, Woodson was playing a rover like position in the Raiders 3-5-3 scheme. He was asked to be more active in the run, and also cover the slot one on one.

Again, Woodson never had the shut down ability at corner like Deon Sanders, but injuries did slow him, he would still be considered a top 3 corner in this league based on talent alone.

Hopefully the Packers use Woodson in as many phases of the game as possible, he is a type of player that needs to be kept interested, and having him return punts is a start. Hopefully Carroll can prove that he is choice 1b when it comes to fielding a starting roster so Woodson can be used as a returner and also on offense.

Dr.Nutz:

I still havn't found the time to research Charles Woodson Nutz, but I am trusting you and digging what you are commenting on C. Woodson regarding his overall football skills and his usefulness to us.

Have you got anything specific Nutz, (ie internet Link?), that leans in the direction of giving you the confidence you certainly have in Charles Woodson?

GO PACKERS !

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Woodson is certainly not known for his physicality

I don't think Woodson should be moved to safety (maybe in a couple of years), but this isn't true. He's more physical, and a much better tackler, than most corners in the league. That's why a lot of scouts think he'd make a great safety.

KilrB
08-02-2006, 06:24 PM
This is a little off topic but does anyone know if there will be a practice on Friday?

PackerTrainingcamp.com lists that its TBD (To Be Determined) Determined by what? :lol:

http://www.packerstrainingcamp.com/practice_schedule/

I am planning on arrving in Green Bay Friday and it would be great to catch a Practice before Family Night.

Thanks!

OKC PackerFan
08-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Cliff Christl:
Packer Insider

TUESDAY, Aug. 1, 2006, 10:17 p.m.
Camp Report, Aug. 1

THUMBS UP

It was wide receiver Rod Gardner’s third day of practice Tuesday and also his coming out party, so to speak. In the morning, Gardner caught a touchdown pass from quarterback Aaron Rodgers on a post pattern, making a tough catch over cornerback Ahmad Carroll. In the evening session, Gardner had three more catches. He caught a deep ball from quarterback Brett Favre in seven-on-seven. He also caught a short out from Rodgers. In Gardner’s first three practices, he had one catch in team and seven-on-seven sessions.

THUMBS DOWN
It’s hard to know what to make of the Packers’ tight end situation at this point. Tight end Bubba Franks caught a pass in the morning session and four more at night in team and seven-on-seven periods, but he had been having a quiet camp up until then. In the first five practices, he had just three catches. But offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said he wasn’t concerned. “He’ll be okay,” promised Jagodzinski. “He’ll catch his share of balls this year.” Nevertheless, all eight of Franks’ catches have been in the short to medium range with an emphasis on the short.

Backups David Martin, Donald Lee and Tory Humphrey all run faster than Franks and have made more plays down the field. Over the first seven practices, David Martin has caught 12 passes; Lee, 11; and Humphrey, 5. But Tuesday night, Lee had two drops and Martin another, all on easy passes, and they also seemed to be having trouble breaking free from coverage.

INJURY REPORT
Chad Clifton (knee), Junius Coston (heat related), Arliss Beach (head) and Patrick Dendy (ankle) missed both practices.

Wide receivers Cory Rodgers (hamstring) and Leo Bookman (ankle), running back Najeh Davenport (ankle) and cornerback Mike Hawkins (knee) missed the morning practice and returned at night.

Favre was kicked in the calf late in the evening practice and had an ice pack strapped to it.

ODDS & ENDS
Just as they struggled in the two-minute drill in the off-season workouts, the Packers’ offense failed twice at the end of the evening practice. On the first play from the 24-yard line, Favre hit rookie wide receiver Greg Jennings with a 57-yard strike down the sideline. But a series of mistakes put the offense in a fourth-and-24 situation and Favre threw an interception down the middle to rookie safety Tra Boger. Rodgers, on his turn, threw four straight incomplete passes.

Punting from the opponents’ 45-yard line, Jon Ryan struggled with his directional kicking. Five of his 21 punts were shanks. He also had seven touchbacks. Only five were downed or landed inside the 10. B.J. Sander kicked more consistently, but only three of his 20 punts were downed or landed inside the 10.

The offensive line struggled in one-on-one pass blocking. William Whitticker was whipped twice by Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila. Chris White was pushed back twice by Kenderick Allen and Corey Williams. Aaron Kampman also beat Mark Tauscher twice.