PDA

View Full Version : Darryn Colledge's bad attitude

RashanGary
05-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Johny Jolly, Tramon Williams and Atari Bigby haven't signed their restricted tenders either. 100 or so players who got stuck in this unusual transition around the NFL haven't either. . . .

[sarcasm]All bad guys. It has nothing to do with the unusual circumstances.[\sarcasm]

mission
05-04-2010, 09:13 PM
I don't think any of those guys have multiple quotes in papers about wondering if their tender status means they might be playing elsewhere next season. Colledge feels entitled to a new contract and has essentially said that.

pbmax
05-04-2010, 09:21 PM
I don't think any of those guys have multiple quotes in papers about wondering if their tender status means they might be playing elsewhere next season. Colledge feels entitled to a new contract and has essentially said that.
Not a quote. Not quotes. One report by an un-named source who heard a radio show and Bedard's belief that the sentiments reflect what others have told him. Colledge has denied the report and said the quotes do not reflect his thinking.

As for feeling entitled to a multi-year contract, I am sure the same could be said of each RFA and Kampman last year. The only RFA on the Packers (the ones at 4 of service) is Collins.

I think Jolly is in far deeper trouble than Colledge. But Jolly had the better year.

th87
05-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Gotta feel bad for Colledge. He was a tackle that was forced to bulk up to play guard. And once he got comfortable (and bulky) enough to play guard, they had to move him back out to tackle, where he struggled, and cost himself some money.

I think/hope he'll be back. He was good in 2008, and there's no reason for him not to replicate that if he's not constantly worried about moving around the line.

Tarlam!
05-05-2010, 02:34 AM
Not a quote. Not quotes. One report by an un-named source who heard a radio show and Bedard's belief that the sentiments reflect what others have told him. Colledge has denied the report and said the quotes do not reflect his thinking.

Well, that's not entirely accurate, PB. Colledge is quoted in Bedard's article, and the radio station is also named:

As for Colledge, privately he is furious with the Packers. He expected a first-round tender and likely did not get it (Colledge said on Boise radio last night he thought it was a second-round tender).

"If it's a second round, maybe I have a chance to move," Colledge said on KTIK. "Maybe I could be coming to a city near you."

Make no mistake, Colledge would like to leave Green Bay and his agent will be working hard to get a team to offer him a contract. He is tired of being forced to play multiple positions, which Colledge feels has hurt his development.

It's not a coincidence that the two best players on the offensive line last season were right guard Josh Sitton and center Scott Wells. Both have played the same position almost exclusively since joining the Packers.

Other players know that very well. That is why Colledge is not alone in his displeasure with the way the Packers have handled their offensive line.

Whether or not he was accurately quoted is another matter entirely. I didn't hear the radio broadcast, I don't know how Bedard knows he's privately furious. But he used nearly 1/3 of that OL article to highlight the DC situation.

By comparison, only Tom Pelissaro referenced a facebook entry by DC that denies the reports. Pretty thin denial. But I'd be happy to see some journalism.

I believe what Bedard wrote is true, I believe Colledge made the statements on the radio and I believe Colledge - and others - are disatisfied with the musical chairs of days (hopefully) gone by. I believe he believes he's been shafted. That he believes he's a star that's been eclipsed by "The System".

But I also believe that the way the other RFA's have gone about their business to be me "Packer-like". I admire Aaron Kampman. He shut his mouth and supported wherever possible. He took out a full page add thanking the fans and the team. Sure, he became a UFA, but it might have gone eerily wrong with that ACL. But he didn't make derogatory statements on the radio the moment he became an OLB.

By publishing that story, Bedard, who writes for a newspaper that is a key source of info for Packers fans, knew full well he was dropping DC into a pile of shit. Why would he single out a player like that if he didn't have credible sources?

Tarlam!
05-05-2010, 02:50 AM
Gotta feel bad for Colledge. He was a tackle that was forced to bulk up to play guard. And once he got comfortable (and bulky) enough to play guard, they had to move him back out to tackle, where he struggled, and cost himself some money.

TH, coming out, he was 299 and he is now listed as 308 pounds. In his time with the Packers, he has IMO based on photos strongly developed his physic to his advantage.

When he was drafted, he was immediately informed, as were the fans, that he would be a Guard. I no longer have the older depth charts, but I vaguely remember him being the primary back up for Cliffy. So, when needed, he play Tackle.

This board has been calling the OL philosophy of "versatitly" crazy since the early M3 days and the obvious shift late last season proved the board correct. In that way, I feel sorry for anyone on the OL not named Cliffy, Tausch, Wells or sitton.

BTW, TH, he didn't need to bulk up to play Guard. The only Tackle on the Packers roster that weighs less than Colledge is Barbre. He needed to develop an NFL physic, as do most rooks.

pbmax
05-05-2010, 07:38 AM
Tar, that is precisely my point, he quotes it and doesn't give a source. He obviously didn't hear it himself (unless he was in Boise or streaming it). So what was the reporting of it? If a transcript or audio clip, why not mention it?

The second compliant is the unsourced "privately furious" that is a summation by Bedard. Both may be accurate, but both are very thin and without context.

Third, is import. He likely is furious. Everyone has seen this coming for a year with the 4 year RFAs. And the second round tender was just another reminder of what opportunity he was not going to see. Outside of it being public, I am glad he is ticked. I think this is what McCarthy was referencing when he said Colledge has responded to challenges put before him previously (he mentioned two demotions).

Fourth, Bedard mentions that a source of the conflict is being asked to move around the line. After the draft, it would appear Colledge will no longer be required to play left tackle.

As for his denial being reported only in one place, Silverstein mentioned the same statement on Facebook:

Tom Silverstein, JSOnline March 4th[/b] (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/86482962.html)]On his Facebook page, he wrote that any reports of his unhappiness in Green Bay aren't true.

"Daryn Colledge has been tendered by the Packers for next season," he wrote. "And unlike popular belief and what is written in the papers, I am very happy with the Packers offer, and if I'm back this season, I look forward to another playoff run and a shot at the title."

And while a statement on Facebook seems silly (same source of info as millions of teenagers' angst) it is, unlike some of the article, clearly from Colledge. Bedard likely has the basics correct, but in using the radio quote without source or context as the opening to run the completely unsourced "privately furious", he has shed more heat than light.

Tarlam!
05-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Well, PB, I think we're on the same page as far as the facts are concerned. Neither of us know for sure what DC said. I can agree that he has a right to be pissed, so I go along with that aspect.

Where I take issue is that, for whatever reason, his displeasure became public and the facebook denial does nothing to dispel my opinion that he didn't handle it well, publicly. It's not like JSO issued a retraction coupled with an apology, which, if I'm in a negotiation with my employer, I most certainly would insist upon.

Let's say the Wall Street Journal reports that the CEO of company "A" is dissatified and is looking for greener pastuers in a contract year. Let's say the sources wouldn't hold up to closer scrutiny. That CEO would have his legal team on the WSJ asses so fast it would make their heads spin. At very least, he would give a rival publication a firm denial.

None of that happed with DC. It's one thing to say "I'm looking into all my options", quite another to say "I want out of Green Bay". If he indeed did not say the latter, I don't understand his homeopatic denial.

Kampman, Collins, Jennings all weren't happy with some aspect of their employment, but we fans didn't hear a cross word from any of them or about them.

pbmax
05-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Well, PB, I think we're on the same page as far as the facts are concerned. Neither of us know for sure what DC said. I can agree that he has a right to be pissed, so I go along with that aspect.

Where I take issue is that, for whatever reason, his displeasure became public and the facebook denial does nothing to dispel my opinion that he didn't handle it well, publicly. It's not like JSO issued a retraction coupled with an apology, which, if I'm in a negotiation with my employer, I most certainly would insist upon.

Let's say the Wall Street Journal reports that the CEO of company "A" is dissatified and is looking for greener pastuers in a contract year. Let's say the sources wouldn't hold up to closer scrutiny. That CEO would have his legal team on the WSJ asses so fast it would make their heads spin. At very least, he would give a rival publication a firm denial.

None of that happed with DC. It's one thing to say "I'm looking into all my options", quite another to say "I want out of Green Bay". If he indeed did not say the latter, I don't understand his homeopatic denial.

Kampman, Collins, Jennings all weren't happy with some aspect of their employment, but we fans didn't hear a cross word from any of them or about them.
I think we are largely in agreement. But a legal team costs money and any gain for Colledge (likely context) would be offset by months of the story being recycled over and over to report on the legal maneuvering.

And lastly, Colledge was largely thrown under the bus not by public speculation that a 2nd round tender meant he could be leaving for another team. In the single sentence quote we have, he does not express a desire to leave as much as seeking an opportunity to sign a long term deal. And from the radio quote, it would read like Green Bay is still an option. They have signed RFA tendered guys to long term deals before (KGB, Diggs) when faced with a sign it or lose him situation.

What kills Colledge was Bedard's unsourced summation of Colledge's desire to leave.

Make no mistake, Colledge would like to leave Green Bay and his agent will be working hard to get a team to offer him a contract. He is tired of being forced to play multiple positions, which Colledge feels has hurt his development.
In all this, your advice that he should have clammed up would have been for the best. By opening the door to speculation with the radio interview, Colledge gave Bedard license to use something he would not have otherwise been able to get into the paper.

Harlan Huckleby
05-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Colledge feels entitled to a new contract and has essentially said that. I haven't followed this one, but don't players eventually think this way? Driver, Collins, ...

mission
05-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Colledge feels entitled to a new contract and has essentially said that. I haven't followed this one, but don't players eventually think this way? Driver, Collins, ...

They *think* that way but go about it differently.

And since everyone is suddenly defending Colledge, tell me this:

Why haven't Jolly, Williams or Bigby been "misquoted" about their contract situation? What's the saying about smoke and all of that?

Something PB said a couple weeks ago made me joke that he might actually be Colledge's wife... but maybe it's not so much a joke anymore? :wink: :wink: :P

rbaloha1
05-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Johny Jolly, Tramon Williams and Atari Bigby haven't signed their restricted tenders either. 100 or so players who got stuck in this unusual transition around the NFL haven't either. . . .

[sarcasm]All bad guys. It has nothing to do with the unusual circumstances.[\sarcasm]

Jolly and Williams each had very good years. Jolly (legal problems aside) and Williams are both entitled to long term deals based on play.

On the other hand, Colledge's inconsistent play caused offensive problems. Dude has had 4 years -- time for the Packers to move-on.

Why the talk about shifting from tackle to guard? Boise runs a zbs -- Colledege was a good fit for the Packers zbs scheme at guard. Bulking up -- big deal.

What does Colledge's wife say about the matter?

retailguy
05-05-2010, 12:14 PM
This thread reminds me of the little kid in his bedroom, head in hands, saying "I can't be wrong, I just can't be wrong, why can't they see that I AM NOT WRONG?".... :lol:

Colledge is what he is, an inconsistent lineman who is an ego maniac. Wasting any further time on him is pointless, and I don't particularly care if he goes somewhere else and has an "adequate" second career like Tony Mandarich. It's just time to move on.

Gunakor
05-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Dude has had 4 years -- time for the Packers to move-on

Are you certain that you've counted all 4 years in your evaluation? 2 years ago he was graded as our VERY BEST offensive lineman. Last year he had a bad year. IMO it's time to give Colledge a chance to get back to his 2008 form, it's nowhere NEAR time to move on.

What makes you so certain that 2008 was the fluke and 2009 is what he really is?

Patler
05-05-2010, 01:57 PM
What makes you so certain that 2008 was the fluke and 2009 is what he really is?

Maybe because of 2006, 2007 and actually the first part of 2008, too. :lol:

All kidding aside, he has been consistently inconsistent his entire career except for part of the 2008 season. If memory serves me correctly (and it may not) he actually struggled early in 2008, too, then supposedly put it all together.

ThunderDan
05-05-2010, 02:25 PM
As for Colledge, privately he is furious with the Packers. He expected a first-round tender and likely did not get it (Colledge said on Boise radio last night he thought it was a second-round tender).

"If it's a second round, maybe I have a chance to move," Colledge said on KTIK. "Maybe I could be coming to a city near you."

It's not a coincidence that the two best players on the offensive line last season were right guard Josh Sitton and center Scott Wells. Both have played the same position almost exclusively since joining the Packers.

Other players know that very well. That is why Colledge is not alone in his displeasure with the way the Packers have handled their offensive line.

Tar-

I just read the quote again and if you read without a pro-Packer bias, I missed it the first time, DC could be saying that if I team only has to give up a 2 to get him he might be moving. A team might be interested, the Packers might not match and he would be somewhere else.

Gunakor
05-05-2010, 02:45 PM

Maybe because of 2006, 2007 and actually the first part of 2008, too. :lol:

All kidding aside, he has been consistently inconsistent his entire career except for part of the 2008 season. If memory serves me correctly (and it may not) he actually struggled early in 2008, too, then supposedly put it all together.

If consistency is his problem, the blame for that can largely be placed on the shoulders of Mike McCarthy. If MM wanted to see consistency, logic dictates that he wouldn't be moving Colledge from guard to tackle to guard to tackle to guard and so on and so forth. Either he's a guard or he's a tackle, but he's not both. Perhaps if McCarthy were a little more consistent in his usage of Colledge, Colledge would be a little more consistent on the playing field.

Patler
05-05-2010, 03:16 PM
If consistency is his problem, the blame for that can largely be placed on the shoulders of Mike McCarthy. If MM wanted to see consistency, logic dictates that he wouldn't be moving Colledge from guard to tackle to guard to tackle to guard and so on and so forth. Either he's a guard or he's a tackle, but he's not both. Perhaps if McCarthy were a little more consistent in his usage of Colledge, Colledge would be a little more consistent on the playing field.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for Colledge being moved around, it is common in the NFL. It was common on the Packers, even before McCarthy. That's just the way of life in the NFL especially for young linemen.

If you look back at it, he really hasn't played all that many games at tackle.

vince
05-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I don't have a lot of sympathy for Colledge being moved around, it is common in the NFL. It was common on the Packers, even before McCarthy. That's just the way of life in the NFL especially for young linemen.

This is the thing for me too. I could care less about whether and how he's been posturing in the press. It's his performance on the field that is the concern.

sharpe1027
05-05-2010, 04:09 PM

I don't understand the conclusion reached from this quote. I guess it really depends upon the context, but he basically stated a reality for any player that was tendered an offer. If another team is willing to give up the required pick, that player may end up leaving. Maybe he sounded excited about the prospect when he said it? IDK.

mission
05-05-2010, 04:13 PM

I don't understand the conclusion reached from this quote. I guess it really depends upon the context, but he basically stated a reality for any player that was tendered an offer. If another team is willing to give up the required pick, that player may end up leaving. Maybe he sounded excited about the prospect when he said it? IDK.

i think "maybe i have a chance" is the key

maybe it was taken out of context somehow ... had he said 'maybe there's a chance" then i could see the other side, but it just sounds like he's hoping.

sharpe1027
05-05-2010, 04:27 PM
i think "maybe i have a chance" is the key

maybe it was taken out of context somehow ... had he said 'maybe there's a chance" then i could see the other side, but it just sounds like he's hoping.

I can see that, but its so subtle that it could easily be misinterpreted. I'm sure if things any of us said out loud were quoted in print, they'd often look very different than how we intended them.

I don't think Bedard's strong conclusion about Colledge has much credibility if it is based primarily on that quote. Maybe there is more to the story though.

Tarlam!
05-05-2010, 05:01 PM
I don't think Bedard's strong conclusion about Colledge has much credibility if it is based primarily on that quote. Maybe there is more to the story though.

I want to believe the roster is 100% Packer People. I also have a tendency to trust beat reporters, because they operate in a vacuum. So I wonder why a guy, whose livelihood depends on inside infos would construct a damning conclusion if he wasn't in possession of a smoking gun. If Bedard loses cred with the players, he might as well change teams.

This is the grey matter that, if I'm Colledge, I would go after, if indeed, he has been misrepresented. By giving a press release via his agent and issuing it on his preferred medium - facebook - the fans wouldn't be so divided over it.

But as PB already pointed out, he might add fuel to the fire by doing so. I can readily accept that as viable. None the less, DC is on double secret probation on my list of Packer people watching! :lol:

RashanGary
05-05-2010, 05:02 PM
These guys signed contracts believing that after 4 years accrued they would be UFA's. There was a chance it could all change, sure, but it's still really disappointing when it happens.

Colledge has come to work, worked hard, been a good citizen and made some pretty great blocks. He's also been consistently inconsistent (far worse at tackle than guard). He's at the point in his career where his contract is up and if the Packers want him, now is the time to start talking contract. The Packers are not talking contract. They gave him the 2nd round tender, want him to play the year and it seems they're hoping to find something better so they can move on without ever giving him a new deal.

He hasn't signed his contract yet and in NFL terms, it's a pretty one sided deal right now. Colledge is probably good enough to get a moderate signing bonus and a long term deal from someone if he was a UFA, but not good enough for a team to give up the pick and the money. He's saying he might be moving because he senses the Packers don't really want him and maybe some other team does. The Packers are making the decision (and rightly so IMO) to not try work out a deal and he's doing what anybody with a brain would do and hoping someone else does. He's a so/so player. It only takes one team to really like him, maybe they think they can get the great plays and with coaching limit the bad ones. I think he's hoping some team does want him, because the Packers don't seem to want him around.

Tarlam!
05-05-2010, 05:23 PM
JH, you've basically said you don't believe Bedard's report is accurate, which is how you've decided to interpret it. Nothing wrong with that.

Bedard basically said he did throw a hissey fit, expects a premium contract and preferably not with Green Bay. He goes on to conclude DC and other linemen blame their "inconsistant" performance on (if I may further paraphrase) the turmoil caused by the coaching staff.

You've concluded The Packers don't want him around and even maintain, DC senses he's unwanted in Green Bay.

I don't know if TT's boys have declined further negotiations. I haven't seen an interview of late with either party confirming the current status.

If, indeed, this is the case, then my conclusion would be TT is sending a clear message that he hasn't seen enough of DC to significantly up the ante just yet, but, he has this TC and a handful of games to state his case. TT has done deals during the season with players he wants. It would be foolish for TT to ignore an uncapped year to sign a proven guard.

Edit: I just noticed, JH, you changed your original post and removed some of your conclusions. So this post of mine is pretty much superfluous.

Bretsky
05-05-2010, 07:30 PM
I rarely use this one in here......but it comes to mind in regards to my view in all of this

Where there is fuel there is usually fire

mission
05-05-2010, 08:49 PM
I rarely use this one in here......but it comes to mind in regards to my view in all of this

i went the whole smoke/fire route but that works too :)

JH you're pointing to circumstance and how it's disappointing he cant be a UFA and all of that. i understand that but again, why didn't williams, jolly and bigby make similar comments on their local college radio stations?

shoot, williams could probably get the biggest contract out of all of them on the open market so he would have the most to complain about. haven't heard a peep.

it's not that i think colledge SUCKS or that he needs to be cut or anything... i just don't think his attitude matches his play. if you're top 20%, you can get whatever you want... middle 70% get to keep their job and bottom 10% get replaced. jack welch vitality curve... his view of himself is questionably top 20% yet his play doesn't match it at all.

so show up to packer fan day (when you're committed to it), get your ass to the optional workouts and make sure you're starting next year. you arent going to make ANY money as a free agent if you're a backup Packer guard.

pbmax
05-05-2010, 09:27 PM

That is the beauty of this dilemma. I am sure many (if not most) believe that Colledge is bothered by his contract status. Its logical, common to young players near the end of their first contract and he is hamstrung by the CBA change affecting him directly.

What the debate turns on currently, is how public has been the complaint.

As for mission's reading of his radio quote, it is certainly possible he was contemplating a future with another team. But it should be pointed out that the only way to improve an RFA tender is to get a contract offer from somebody else. Similar to the Collins agent's public statement that he was unhappy with the RFA and lack of progress on a long term deal.

RG, I can understand picturing posters in their bedroom crying they are misunderstood (or were you referring to Colledge?) and I understand observing Colledge's inconsistency. But ego maniacal? That seems a stretch. If anything, Colledge probably knows better than we how much the team values him. He knows his grades from every game and does not need to just rely on McGinn's end of season analysis or the TV broadcast.

As for trusting Bedard, I don't doubt that his summation is at least partially accurate, or at least based on other's observation of Colledge. But it still lacks context and depth. If I thought my employer was dragging its feet on a contract extension because they could without fear of losing me, I might make similar judgments about my perceived mistreatment. But none of those temporary bursts of anger would change my basic assessment of the organization; whether I wanted to stay or go, whether they were a good fit for me.

The Packers still want him around and they know him better than Bedard or KTIX. Bedard might have reported an accurate observation, but the actual story might be that both sides want to stay in business together. The Packers clearly do. We'll find out what Colledge thinks when he signs the tender and reports to camp.

Gunakor
05-06-2010, 12:28 AM
If Bedard loses cred with the players, he might as well change teams.

You mean change teams again, right??

Ask Jason Taylor how much cred he had with players in Miami. Bedard has a history. I don't like him, I don't read him. He's absolute garbage. Read Silverstien and Nickel instead. For my money I'd rather read anything from either of those two than read the garbage that spews from Bedard's keyboard and winds up in our newspaper. I can only hope that he changes teams again sometime soon.

Gunakor
05-06-2010, 12:46 AM

It's common for backups. It's not nearly as common for starters. I do have sympathy for his being moved around because he's not a backup tackle, he's a starting guard. Young or old doesn't matter to me, the difference is first string or second string. If you're a 24 year old starter, you shouldn't be moved around at all. If you're a 30 year old backup you better know how to play more than one position and expect to play more than one position. That goes for all positions, not just the offensive line. If you're a starter, you're not a backup. That's my take on it.

Every single practice repetition Colledge gets should be at left guard. Every game Colledge plays should be at left guard. He should never ever be asked to back up any other position on that line. Again, he's a starting guard, not a backup tackle. I'd bet if he were treated as such for his entire career he'd be more than serviceable at guard. So again, if McCarthy wants more consistency from Colledge he should be more consistent himself. I'm 100% certain that Colledge is capable of being a fine guard in this league. He's done it before.

Bretsky
05-06-2010, 06:30 AM
If Bedard loses cred with the players, he might as well change teams.

You mean change teams again, right??

Ask Jason Taylor how much cred he had with players in Miami. Bedard has a history. I don't like him, I don't read him. He's absolute garbage. Read Silverstien and Nickel instead. For my money I'd rather read anything from either of those two than read the garbage that spews from Bedard's keyboard and winds up in our newspaper. I can only hope that he changes teams again sometime soon.

Nickels IMO offers nothing; there are fifty forum members who could offer more than she does. Bunch of fluff pieces with little information added the fan doesn't know about.

McGinn is still very good.

Silverstein IMO is better than Bedard but not nearly as good as McGinnn. He's not all fluff and adds to the picture. I heard him, well, I think it was him, in an interview joking about how it's not a lot of fun to interview TT so writers can only do their best after speaking with him.

I think Bedard is decent as well. If he's given an analysis of the Packers he doesn't need to be their friends.

I want to be interested by these guys. I follow the Packers enough that I don't want all fluff and informative stuff that we already know.

RashanGary
05-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Daryn is simply saying he got the 2nd round tender, no contract talks have begun and there's a good chance he could be coming to a city near you. That's reality.

PB pretty much hit it on the head over the last couple weeks. Colledge gets one chance to get a decent contract. He was an older rookie. The owners opting out of the CBA. . . Everything is working against him. The Packers don't appear to want him around long term. I don't doubt he's unhappy. In fact, I would be shocked if he was happy with it.

PB has already touched on this too, but like Kampman and others before him, he knows it's part of the deal and I strongly suspect he'll be in here, doing his best and not making an issue at all.

People were making a big stink about the Collins situation too. I thought it was obvious that both sides were working together and there would be no issue. This is the same. A good solid understanding of the context here and some common sense says Colledge will be in here doing his best with no issue. We'll see.

Patler
05-06-2010, 06:48 AM
It's common for backups. It's not nearly as common for starters. I do have sympathy for his being moved around because he's not a backup tackle, he's a starting guard. Young or old doesn't matter to me, the difference is first string or second string. If you're a 24 year old starter, you shouldn't be moved around at all. If you're a 30 year old backup you better know how to play more than one position and expect to play more than one position. That goes for all positions, not just the offensive line. If you're a starter, you're not a backup. That's my take on it.

Every single practice repetition Colledge gets should be at left guard. Every game Colledge plays should be at left guard. He should never ever be asked to back up any other position on that line. Again, he's a starting guard, not a backup tackle. I'd bet if he were treated as such for his entire career he'd be more than serviceable at guard. So again, if McCarthy wants more consistency from Colledge he should be more consistent himself. I'm 100% certain that Colledge is capable of being a fine guard in this league. He's done it before.

It's common for starters, too. Heck, early in his career Tauscher split every game between tackle and guard for a good chunk of one season when Rivera was all beat up and played only every other quarter for a while, then came out most 4th quarters. Tauscher was not a backup guard, he was a starting tackle, but he made it work game after game.

I think (but haven't verified) that Spitz played more games at center and left guard his first three years than Colledge played at tackle, and Spitz was a starting right guard just like Colledge was a starting left guard.

Michael Oher moved from starting right tackle to starting left tackle last year due to injuries, didn't he?

Under Sherman, an accomplished line coach, not only did Tauscher split games between RT and RG, when Clifton went out for the season, Flanagan moved from starting center to starting left tackle.

Under Holmgren, when Frank Winters came to Green Bay he bounced between guard and center.

Under Vince Lombardi, Forrest Gregg was an All-Pro tackle, but when Jerry Kramer went out for the rest of a season, Forrest Gregg moved to guard.

NFL teams play their best combination of 5 OL, and if one gets hurt and the combination is better with another starter moving to accommodate the 6th man at a position, so be it. It happens on lots of teams. It's been happening that way as long as I have watched the Packers.

RashanGary
05-06-2010, 06:51 AM
Bretsky,

JS was making a big stink about the Collins situation getting out of hand. They were wrong.

JS has been saying for years Ted is unwilling to spend money (last 18 mos they've doled out huge contracts to Rodgers, Jennings, Collins, Pickett, Clifton and Tausher).

JS made a big stink about the Packers not having a LT this year. For several reasons they were wrong.

JS made a big stink about Rodgers not being able to win close games. They were wrong.

JS made a big stink about Rodgers not being a winner. They were wrong

JS made a big stink about Rodgers not being able to get the team to the playoffs. They were wrong.

JS is still making a stink because Rodgers doesn't care about winning, only stats. They'll be wrong.

McGinn's draft stuff is great. He has some good connections around the league and once in a while somebody he talks to has some really interesting things to share and McGinn relays it to us.

But to sit here and praise that dump of a paper for their consistently wrong speculation that you classify as insider information. I don't know. I don't see that at all. If they had any track history of being right, I'd agree. But they're always full of shit.

The people who are going to be right at the end of the day are the people predicting success. And you're right about McGinn. Year after year he predicts success and he's the guy who is right. Pessimists deal with that.

MichiganPackerFan
05-06-2010, 08:03 AM
With all this talk of fuel, fire and smoke, I have this sudden urge to break out a big grilling project...

retailguy
05-06-2010, 08:28 AM
With all this talk of fuel, fire and smoke, I have this sudden urge to break out a big grilling project...

You can grill lots of bullshit with some of the stuff being spewed in this thread, but what would you do with it once grilled? :huh: :mrgreen:

sharpe1027
05-06-2010, 09:06 AM
I want to believe the roster is 100% Packer People. I also have a tendency to trust beat reporters, because they operate in a vacuum. So I wonder why a guy, whose livelihood depends on inside infos would construct a damning conclusion if he wasn't in possession of a smoking gun. If Bedard loses cred with the players, he might as well change teams.

This is the grey matter that, if I'm Colledge, I would go after, if indeed, he has been misrepresented. By giving a press release via his agent and issuing it on his preferred medium - facebook - the fans wouldn't be so divided over it.

But as PB already pointed out, he might add fuel to the fire by doing so. I can readily accept that as viable. None the less, DC is on double secret probation on my list of Packer people watching! :lol:

His livelihood depends on selling advertisement space in the paper and on the web. His article got us all discussing it regardless of its validity. :lol:

I don't know. It could be that Colledge is fed up with the Packers. I just don't see it from that one quote. That just sounds more like a statement about the realities of the tender process and a little self-gratification. Colledge was playing up himself as being worth a 2nd rounder, which could be for personal or contract reasons.

MJZiggy
05-06-2010, 06:40 PM

When do we eat?

Gunakor
05-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Nickels IMO offers nothing; there are fifty forum members who could offer more than she does. Bunch of fluff pieces with little information added the fan doesn't know about.

At least what Nickels offers doesn't come with an obvious bias against certain members of the organization she's reporting on. That alone makes her more readable than Bedard.

I would agree with you that McGinn is very good too, he slipped my mind but I do enjoy reading him as well.

Guiness
05-07-2010, 12:40 AM
Under Sherman, an accomplished line coach, not only did Tauscher split games between RT and RG, when Clifton went out for the season, Flanagan moved from starting center to starting left tackle.

I remember that, and remember being shocked. Flanagan was the backup LT??? I couldn't believe it when they slid him over - gained a lot of respect for him that day.

Happen to remember who was actually behind Clifton on the depth chart at the time? I can't see Flanagan's name actually appearing there.

pbmax
05-07-2010, 07:17 AM

I remember that, and remember being shocked. Flanagan was the backup LT??? I couldn't believe it when they slid him over - gained a lot of respect for him that day.

Happen to remember who was actually behind Clifton on the depth chart at the time? I can't see Flanagan's name actually appearing there.
He played LT for nearly half the season after Clifton got taken out by Sapp. And speaking of not having tackle depth, Jerry Wisne looks to be the backup according to JSO's final 2002 roster. Kevin Barry was a rookie and Barrett Brooks played 2 games in his career in GB.

Lurker64
05-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Colledge signed his tender today: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/93306389.html

Presumably so he could take part in OTAs next week, but maybe he'll be traded. Who knows.

Fritz
05-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Tender is the night.

Joemailman
05-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Colledge signed his tender today: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/93306389.html

Presumably so he could take part in OTAs next week, but maybe he'll be traded. Who knows.

Colledge may be frustratingly inconsistent, but he's not stupid. He knows that if he wants to be a sought after UFA next year, he needs to have a great year in 2010. That starts with preparation. I doubt he will be traded, nor do I think he wants to be. He would have signed his tender before the draft if he was hoping to be traded.

Scott Campbell
05-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Are tender offers guaranteed, or is does he have to make the opening day roster to get paid?

pbmax
05-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Tender is the night.
I thought Lonely Is The Night?

Colledge remains committed to the cause. Now all the Packers need is for him not to suck.

:mrgreen:

Lurker64
05-10-2010, 04:40 PM
He would have signed his tender before the draft if he was hoping to be traded.

Well, I think the tack that some teams have been taken with guys who haven't signed their tenders yet is "here, we have a trade offer on the table for you to a team you'd like to go to, sign your tender so we can complete the trade" (c.f. Brandon Marshall, Alex Barron). But if Colledge was going to be traded after signing his tender, we probably would have heard about it by now.

retailguy
05-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Are tender offers guaranteed, or is does he have to make the opening day roster to get paid?

I believe that the tender is fully guaranteed.

Pugger
05-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Colledge might be one of those guys who is better off staying at one position. He stunk as a tackle but he isn't a terrible guard, just young and inconsistant. If he gets his act together that will only help our offense this season.

pbmax
05-10-2010, 08:06 PM

My understanding is that only the Franchise and Transition tenders become fully guaranteed upon the player signing. That is one reason players are not in a hurry to sign the RFAs. I could be wrong.

hoosier
05-10-2010, 08:33 PM

My understanding is that only the Franchise and Transition tenders become fully guaranteed upon the player signing. That is one reason players are not in a hurry to sign the RFAs. I could be wrong.

That is true in principle, but the weirdness of playing without a CBA seems to have created an exception to this rule: a guy like Darren Sproles who was franchised in 2009 and is now a RFA in 2010. Because of his situation in 2009, Sproles's RFA tender becomes guaranteed as soon as he signs it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/12/glazer-jason-campbell-will-sign-rfa-tender-today/?related=1

RashanGary
05-10-2010, 10:00 PM
If Colledge is considered a bad apple personality on your team and your worst starter, I don't think your team has many problems.

pbmax
05-10-2010, 10:14 PM

That is true in principle, but the weirdness of playing without a CBA seems to have created an exception to this rule: a guy like Darren Sproles who was franchised in 2009 and is now a RFA in 2010. Because of his situation in 2009, Sproles's RFA tender becomes guaranteed as soon as he signs it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/12/glazer-jason-campbell-will-sign-rfa-tender-today/?related=1
But that is because the CBA language specifies that all contract features have to carry over from one year to the next for it to be a qualifying offer. Sproles was a franchise player the previous year. College was not.

Basically, this feature of the CBA is so a player does not lose anything he had previously negotiated into his contract. So a qualifying tender is not a step backward except, possibly, for the rate of pay.

rbaloha1
05-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Great news with Colledge signing -- the Packers can trade the mf.

MichiganPackerFan
05-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Terrible attitude signing the tender in order to be allowed to show up for voluntary team activities.

Seriously, let the guy play ONE position and see what happens. Otherwise he's no different than Billy Hall!

Pugger
05-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Does Colledge have attitude issues? Where did you guys here this? :?:

swede
05-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Does Colledge have attitude issues? Where did you guys here this? :?:

Anyone who knows the facts better than I do may correct me, but I believe that he was chatting it up on some minor radio sports talk show out where he lives somewhere in the great Northwest and when asked to talk about his situation he spoke of the lack of certainty in his situation because of the tender extended to him by the Packers which he had chosen not to sign for a while. He made a remark to the effect of, "Who knows? I might even be playing back out here next season."

In print, there is no humorous tone to soften the words. The comment could be read (as opposed to actually heard) to mean that Colledge is disgruntled, unhappy, and feeling as if his skills are not appreciated.

Personally, I think that's a lot to read into the situation.

I believe he's as gruntled as anyone, and the only disgruntling aspect to me is how quickly Packer fans have turned on the guy.

The team could look to upgrade Colledge, sure. He's just a guy. He's not that good of a tackle and not that bad of a guard. I just don't think he's a bad guy because of a remark taken out of context talking to fans of another team back home.

hoosier
05-11-2010, 07:24 PM

But that is because the CBA language specifies that all contract features have to carry over from one year to the next for it to be a qualifying offer. Sproles was a franchise player the previous year. College was not.

Basically, this feature of the CBA is so a player does not lose anything he had previously negotiated into his contract. So a qualifying tender is not a step backward except, possibly, for the rate of pay.

Right, I was just saying that in previous years the Sproles situation could not have happened--because if he had gotten to the point where he was franchisable then his RFA window would also have closed. Never before has an NFL player gone from Franchise designee to RFA.

Joemailman
05-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Terrible attitude signing the tender in order to be allowed to show up for voluntary team activities.

He figures the sooner he can become a cancer in the clubhouse the better.

Bretsky
05-11-2010, 08:20 PM
There is no proof Colledge has been anything but a great attitude and darling of positivity with the press

P.S.

OJ was innocent

pbmax
05-11-2010, 08:37 PM
There is no proof Colledge has been anything but a great attitude and darling of positivity with the press

P.S.

OJ was innocent
I don't need emoticons to see your sarcasm Bretsky. Just wait until the poorly-leveraged lunger takes his revenge on you and you need to wear his jersey to work in January. Meachem will be jealous.

RashanGary
05-11-2010, 09:23 PM
I'll compare this to the Favre situation. The teams interests and Favre's interests didn't match up. Favre wasn't going to sit back and take it. He was going to throw an absolute fit to get his way.

Clearly Colledge doesn't have that kind of power, but he's in a similar spot. The teams interest (to get one more year out of Colledge, but not have to give him substantial money) doesn't line up with Colledge's interest (this being his only chance to get a decent contract). If Colledge had more power (something like Ryan Grant had a couple years ago), maybe he'd make a bigger issue. If he had a ton more power (something like Favre had), maybe he'd throw an absolute fit. . .

The way it stands, Colledge is in a tough spot. He's not good enough to force the Packers hand. He's probably not happy, but he has no choice but to come in. I feel pretty confident that he'll come in, do his very best, not be an issue at all and probably be gone after this year. He's a decent guy though, just an average player at a position that doesn't usually make a lot of money and in a tough spot.

RashanGary
05-11-2010, 09:28 PM
The hate toward him, calling him a bad apple and a bad guy. I don't see that at all. I see a guy who's in a system where he has no control and a guy who's frustrated with that.

rbaloha1
05-11-2010, 09:48 PM
The hate toward him, calling him a bad apple and a bad guy. I don't see that at all. I see a guy who's in a system where he has no control and a guy who's frustrated with that.

No control -- play at a pro bowl level like Collins, Jennings and Grant and be rewarded.

Not a high paid position -- what did the saints guard recently get? Colledge played with a chip on his shoulder that recently fell off.

retailguy
05-11-2010, 09:57 PM

He's a media whore. Giving offseason interviews to the local press, and leaking stories to the mainstream media. Reminds me of another former Packer. :evil: Off with his head, I say! :twisted:

Tarlam!
05-12-2010, 12:01 AM
what did the saints guard recently get?

Don't know, but I remember what Carolina payed Wahle and the 'Boys paid Marco 5 seasons ago. Neither got chump change IIRC!

rbaloha1
05-12-2010, 01:34 AM
what did the saints guard recently get?

Don't know, but I remember what Carolina payed Wahle and the 'Boys paid Marco 5 seasons ago. Neither got chump change IIRC!

Good point. Of course Colledge is not at these levels to command these types of salaries (Although his ego says he is.)

Recall Jerry Jones admitted overpaying for Rivera but did not mind due to the high character and positive locker room presence .

Can the same be same about DC?