PDA

View Full Version : SEAN PAYTON: Got New Orleans but DREAMED OF GREEN BAY

Bretsky
05-04-2010, 10:16 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/92827664.html

I'd flown up to Green Bay and had a terrific interview with the Packers," Payton wrote. "That's a great organization - a team I had followed since I was a kid. I felt optimistic about that possibility and was expecting to hear something soon."

I took off my coat and loosened my tie," Payton wrote. "I was relaxing on the bed, almost dozing off. The cell phone began to vibrate. I had a message from 920, Ted Thompson, the Packers GM. Ted got right to the point. 'Hey,' he said, 'the process has gone well. We've decided to go in a different direction, and I wanted to let you know as soon as possible. It hasn't come out yet. Please don't say anything until we announce it.'

"I wanted to cry," Payton wrote. "I appreciated the heads-up. But damn!"

digitaldean
05-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I just read that article.

Great to hear his appreciation for Green Bay.

Hopefully we can finally get back to the SB and not worry about the 'what ifs'....

Bretsky
05-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Anybody with a love and appreciation for football and its history would probably love the chance to be the Leader of the Pack

Scott Campbell
05-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Classy move by Ted to give him a heads up.

Bretsky
05-04-2010, 11:51 PM

absolutely true...although a thumbs up might have been better

bobblehead
05-05-2010, 12:13 AM

They have nearly identical records. The only reason you have more love for Peyton is BF threw the NFCC pick FOR MM, but he threw one AGAINST Peyton.

channtheman
05-05-2010, 01:44 AM

They have nearly identical records. The only reason you have more love for Peyton is BF threw the NFCC pick FOR MM, but he threw one AGAINST Peyton.

WOW! So fucking true. I didn't even realize this.

Fritz
05-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Big year for MM.
And doesn't Peyton run something other than the west coast?

Bretsky
05-05-2010, 07:01 AM

I'm fine with MM
But I've liked Payton more WELL before last year

hoosier
05-05-2010, 08:01 AM
If Payton turns out to be hooked on Vicodin the Packers will be awfully glad they got MM instead.

Tarlam!
05-05-2010, 09:05 AM
I know nothing about Payton, but I like that he has been a Pack fan since his childhood. Glancing at his bio on WiKi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Payton it's a little surprising: Born in Cali, raised in Naperville IL, played for Da Bears as a strike replacement, I would have concluded he was a Bears fan, though he said he "followed" the Pack since his childhood; maybe fan isn't correct.

I wanted to post some speculation in this thread about the QB development, but have chosen to pose that question in the official Favre thread.

Tony Oday
05-05-2010, 09:15 AM
lol I have "followed" the Lions, Bears and Queens my whole life but haven't been a fan of them.

Deputy Nutz
05-05-2010, 09:29 AM
I am not going to sit here and compare the hire of McCarthy to Payton. Things work out different ways, and NO won the Super Bowl, but it was do or die for this franchise when Payton took over. The Packers are always going to have a franchise in Green Bay. I think the NO invest more over a short period of time under Payton to keep the Saints in NO than what the Packers had to do to rebound from a 4-12 season in Thompson's first year.

I like Payton but he was the offensive coordinator that got his job stripped from him in New York. He wasn't even given the title of Coordinator in Dallas under Parcels.

I will say this though, I am sick of the Green Bay Packer coaching tree that roots with Mike Holmgren. The Packers refuse to go outside the box of the West Coast Offensive Scheme. Which I do think the reason they went with McCarthy other than Payton was to keep Favre comfortable in the West Coast Offense, and to keep him from retiring. Although Favre was said that he is close friends with Payton.

Pugger
05-05-2010, 11:50 AM
I think Tarlam is right. The Packers didn't want to change the offense while #4 was still under center so they tried to keep basically the same offense intact with MM instead of Payton.

retailguy
05-05-2010, 12:11 PM
If Payton turns out to be hooked on Vicodin the Packers will be awfully glad they got MM instead.

Well, being hooked on vicodin is less obvious than being hooked on cheeseburgers and blowing up like a balloon.

Gunakor
05-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Which I do think the reason they went with McCarthy other than Payton was to keep Favre comfortable in the West Coast Offense, and to keep him from retiring. Although Favre was said that he is close friends with Payton.

If their choice in hiring a new head coach was to be made in an effort to appease Favre, Steve Mariucci would have been the hire. Not Mike McCarthy. I doubt very highly that MM was hired because of Favre. I can agree that Thompson likely wanted to stick with the west coast offense that the Packers were comfortable with - all of them, not just Favre.

Fritz
05-05-2010, 12:50 PM
It may be a mix. Maybe TT did not want Mariucci (and for good reason, I think) but he also did not want to ditch the west coast and really piss Favre off altogether. So he went for the compromise - the west coast guy, but not the close buddy of Favre.

I'm okay with how it all worked out. There's no guarantee that had Peyton come to GB he'd have the same success.

But this year will be a huge test for McCarthy. Cross your fingers the team stays healthy, and if they do, then it's time for that deep playoff run.

hoosier
05-05-2010, 01:33 PM

Well, being hooked on vicodin is less obvious than being hooked on cheeseburgers and blowing up like a balloon.

There are plenty of examples of successful NFL coaches who have been unable to say no to a cheeseburger. I doubt you can say the same about controlled substances.

RashanGary
05-05-2010, 05:11 PM

There are plenty of examples of successful NFL coaches who have been unable to say no to a cheeseburger. I doubt you can say the same about controlled substances.

The pear-shaped loser is one example of a cheeseburger lover.

MJZiggy
05-05-2010, 07:54 PM

Doesn't EVERY Green Bay head coach have that problem in the last few decades? I've seen old pictures of a svelte Holmgren showing up in GB...or maybe it's just the ones named Mike...

pbmax
05-05-2010, 09:34 PM

The puking helps keep you thin.

Deputy Nutz
05-05-2010, 11:05 PM

Doesn't EVERY Green Bay head coach have that problem in the last few decades? I've seen old pictures of a svelte Holmgren showing up in GB...or maybe it's just the ones named Mike...

Rex ryan eats up to 7000 calories a day. thats is a whole lot of man

Iron Mike
05-06-2010, 07:06 AM
...or maybe it's just the ones named Mike...

I blame the Packers.

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Health/Images/naked-fat-guy.jpg

MJZiggy
05-06-2010, 06:37 PM
He has absolutely no idea what his own penis looks like.

pbmax
05-06-2010, 07:22 PM
He has absolutely no idea what his own penis looks like.
He is phenomenal in goal though.

pbmax
05-06-2010, 07:23 PM

He had the elastic restrictor plate put in this offseason. If he is still eating 7,000 a day, it must be a spoonful at a time, 24 hrs a day.

Deputy Nutz
05-06-2010, 08:56 PM

He had the elastic restrictor plate put in this offseason. If he is still eating 7,000 a day, it must be a spoonful at a time, 24 hrs a day.

Is that the same thing that John Daly did? If so, I gotta get me one of those.

pbmax
05-06-2010, 10:13 PM

Yep. And I think I read that Max-Jean Gilles had it this offseason as well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/30/max-jean-gilles-had-lap-band-surgery/

hoosier
05-07-2010, 08:06 AM

Yep. And I think I read that Max-Jean Gilles had it this offseason as well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/30/max-jean-gilles-had-lap-band-surgery/

It looks to me like Andy Reid would be a good candidate for the tuna belt as well.
http://isportacus.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/large_Andy-Reid-Grabbing.jpg

MichiganPackerFan
05-07-2010, 08:11 AM
It looks to me like Andy Reid would be a good candidate for the tuna belt as well.
http://isportacus.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/large_Andy-Reid-Grabbing.jpg

Judging from the hand placement in that photo, he may be a candidate to become a catholic priest as well.

hoosier
05-07-2010, 08:33 AM
I think he is just showing Kolb how to execute a play fake. :lol: