PDA

View Full Version : Viqueens new stadium

Tony Oday
05-05-2010, 01:58 AM
looks like it passed another hurddle...question for you all and that I can not understand is why do these teams always want to build downtown? I mean what the H...why not in the suburbs so you can have actual tailgating?

twoseven
05-05-2010, 04:13 AM
looks like it passed another hurddle...question for you all and that I can not understand is why do these teams always want to build downtown? I mean what the H...why not in the suburbs so you can have actual tailgating?not sure, but they wanted to take down the dome and use the same spot to save money. also not sure about passing hurdles. governor pawlenty as the ultimate hurdle has already said he will not sign anything that will tax people and the intial proposal has exactly that in it. pretty sure i read that a couple days ago, is this accurate (anyone)?

Scott Campbell
05-05-2010, 09:08 AM
looks like it passed another hurddle...question for you all and that I can not understand is why do these teams always want to build downtown? I mean what the H...why not in the suburbs so you can have actual tailgating?not sure, but they wanted to take down the dome and use the same spot to save money. also not sure about passing hurdles. governor pawlenty as the ultimate hurdle has already said he will not sign anything that will tax people and the intial proposal has exactly that in it. pretty sure i read that a couple days ago, is this accurate (anyone)?

Yesh, I read that too. But there is bi-partisan support for the current proposal. I think the governor might be grand standing a bit.

Tony Oday
05-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Gov Pa-Pa won't veto it if it has bipartisan support. He may be a cheap bastard, which I like, but if the people want it he knows who he represents.

Deputy Nutz
05-05-2010, 09:45 AM
I am a mixed bag on taxation for sporting stadiums.

The Metrodome was a mistake but is it even 30 years old yet?

The Bradley Center is just 20 years old and folks were crying for a new stadium 5 years ago.

As far as building downtown, I think it is the best spot to spark commercial spending for a sporting event. The bars and resturants and stores will benefit to a great extent. Look at Miller Park, it does very little for the surrounding communtiy because there is nothing within walking distance of the Park.

Tailgating is great, but it does little for the commercial community that should benefit when taxpayers have to shell out .01% of sales tax.

Zool
05-05-2010, 09:59 AM
I believe the Humpty Dome was built in 1980 so it just made it to 30 years.

twoseven
05-05-2010, 12:18 PM
i have no idea what the quote rules are anymore so i apologize if this is against the rules:

From Pft.com
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/05/vikings-stadium-bill-defeated-in-house-committee/

'Vikings stadium bill defeated in House committee'

retailguy
05-05-2010, 12:22 PM
If the Vikings moved to LA, I wonder if the NFL would put them in the NFC West, and move the Rams to the NFC North? :shock:

Scott Campbell
05-05-2010, 12:25 PM
The Bradley Center is just 20 years old and folks were crying for a new stadium 5 years ago.

The Delta Center (now Energy Solutions Arena) is the same age, and I think it's still one of the best arenas in the NBA. I wasn't impressed at all with the Bradley Center even when it was brand new.

Some of these arenas and stadiums just weren't designed very well. The new Soldier Field. The Alamo Dome. Arco Arena. The Metrodump. It's not age that is making them obsolete.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2010, 12:26 PM
If the Vikings moved to LA, I wonder if the NFL would put them in the NFC West, and move the Rams to the NFC North? :shock:

That would make all kinds of sense.

What division would we move Rastak to?

Tony Oday
05-05-2010, 02:18 PM
i have no idea what the quote rules are anymore so i apologize if this is against the rules:

From Pft.com
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/05/vikings-stadium-bill-defeated-in-house-committee/

The house does this all the time to get the senate to approve something that was turned down before...no worries here.

The Vikes will get a new stadium and damn I hope there is some parking lots available to tailgate.

Nutz though I agree with the initial impact of an area but just like our hallowed grounds there would be eateries and other businesses that would build near the new stadium. Oh and a tax on the actual tickets would be awesome

twoseven
05-05-2010, 03:29 PM

From Pft.com

The house does this all the time to get the senate to approve something that was turned down before...no worries here.

The Vikes will get a new stadium and damn I hope there is some parking lots available to tailgate.

Nutz though I agree with the initial impact of an area but just like our hallowed grounds there would be eateries and other businesses that would build near the new stadium. Oh and a tax on the actual tickets would be awesome

i think you're on to something here..
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/05/vikings-stadium-bill-makes-like-lazarus-in-the-legislature/

Vikings stadium bill makes like Lazarus in the legislature
Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2010 3:08 PM ET
Killed in a House committee this morning, the bill to build a new Vikings stadium found new life in a Senate committee this afternoon.

The new version incorporates Personal Seat Licenses as a mechanism for raising money beyond the $264 million that the Vikings will pay, according to WCCO.com. Previous plans to use a variety of taxes and to foist bond payments onto the city of Minneapolis as of 2020 have been scuttled.

Meanwhile, the Vikings claimed in a House committee hearing that they are losing money (which could have CBA ramification), and the team declined to answer whether the project can wait another year (which means that it can). Also, Governor Tim Pawlenty suddenly seems to be less interested in the stadium bill and more interested in fixing the state's deficit, given a Wednesday Minnesota Supreme Court decision finding that Pawlenty exceeded his authority by cutting $5.3 million from a state program.

So while progress is being made, there's a long way to go -- and there isn't much time to get something done in 2010. The legislative session ends this month.

MichiganPackerFan
05-05-2010, 03:30 PM

That would make all kinds of sense.

What division would we move Rastak to?

We may have to adopt him, whenever our prodigal son returns.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Don't the Vikings have enough problems selling tickets without throwing PSL's into the mix?

Tony Oday
05-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Don't the Vikings have enough problems selling tickets without throwing PSL's into the mix?

They are a minnesota team with a minnesota fan base, some die hards mostly bandwagon jumpers...they are winning now and now is the time to strike to get a new stadium.

pbmax
05-05-2010, 10:19 PM

As far as building downtown, I think it is the best spot to spark commercial spending for a sporting event. The bars and resturants and stores will benefit to a great extent. Look at Miller Park, it does very little for the surrounding communtiy because there is nothing within walking distance of the Park.

Tailgating is great, but it does little for the commercial community that should benefit when taxpayers have to shell out .01% of sales tax.
Really? I haven't been to a ton of Brewers' games, but afterward we always end up in a bar just north across the highway. Not quite walking distance, but definitely in the neighborhood. Its usually packed.

I suppose once you get people in a car, they might keep driving though.

pbmax
05-05-2010, 10:22 PM

The Delta Center (now Energy Solutions Arena) is the same age, and I think it's still one of the best arenas in the NBA. I wasn't impressed at all with the Bradley Center even when it was brand new.

Some of these arenas and stadiums just weren't designed very well. The new Soldier Field. The Alamo Dome. Arco Arena. The Metrodump. It's not age that is making them obsolete.
I don't think its the dumpiness of the BC that is causing problems. Its the revenue generation. Its behind all the little games, sideshow attractions and seating arrangements that drive revenue in newer arenas. At least that's the version I have been getting on Milwaukee radio.

Deputy Nutz
05-05-2010, 11:12 PM

Really? I haven't been to a ton of Brewers' games, but afterward we always end up in a bar just north across the highway. Not quite walking distance, but definitely in the neighborhood. Its usually packed.

That one bar is Kelly's Bleachers, and it is not walking distance. There is a nice stock yard and a couple of broke ass factories you could possibly walk to though.

Little Whiskey
05-06-2010, 07:16 AM

That one bar is Kelly's Bleachers, and it is not walking distance. There is a nice stock yard and a couple of broke ass factories you could possibly walk to though.

there is another Irish Bar on the corner next to kelly's. so you have two choices.

twoseven
05-06-2010, 12:41 PM

there is another Irish Bar on the corner next to kelly's. so you have two choices.unless the bartender spontaneoulsy yells out 'fuck....ass', i'm not going.

3irty1
05-08-2010, 03:53 PM

there is another Irish Bar on the corner next to kelly's. so you have two choices.unless the bartender spontaneoulsy yells out 'fuck....ass', i'm not going.

I get it.

red
05-08-2010, 05:25 PM

lol

love it

did you see the second one? IMO it sucks big time compared to the first one

twoseven
05-08-2010, 07:17 PM

lol

love it

did you see the second one? IMO it sucks big time compared to the first oneyeah, i heard it wasn't so hot. i'll netflix it one day. first one is kind of hard to top.