PDA

View Full Version : New coach McCarthy wants more discipline from Favre

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Updated: Aug. 2, 2006, 12:06 AM ET

New coach McCarthy wants more discipline from Favre

Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Despite throwing a career-worst 29 interceptions last season, Brett Favre doesn't plan to scale back his aggressive style and doesn't really care if people don't agree with him.

New coach Mike McCarthy might have a different take, especially after watching film of Favre's five interceptions in practice on Monday.

"You have to stay away from interceptions that are bad decisions," McCarthy said Tuesday. "And he saw something on two or three of them, you have to pull back. Brett's personality is to push forward. That's the ability to play quarterback. Sometimes you have to pull back and take the checkdown instead of throwing the ball through that keyhole, which obviously he's capable of doing. That's just a discipline within himself."

McCarthy wasn't pleased when Favre threw a ball up for grabs down the middle of the field.

"Late down the middle is a mortal sin in quarterback play," McCarthy said. "It's been stressed since I've been coaching the position and it's obviously something all the quarterbacks are aware of."

Favre was fairly sharp in Tuesday night's practice, but threw an interception during a two-minute drill. McCarthy said Favre made the "correct throw" on the play.

Backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers said throwing interceptions in practice isn't necessarily a big deal, especially with young receivers facing veteran cornerbacks early in training camp.

"Just because a quarterback throws an interception doesn't mean it's a bad practice," Rodgers said.

Favre participated in both practices Tuesday, sustaining a minor leg injury at the end of the night practice.

"He just got banged in the back of his leg," McCarthy said.

McCarthy said Favre will practice Wednesday, but he will rest Favre periodically during training camp to control soreness in his ankle and keep his arm fresh.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2006, 11:41 PM
More wanted: Quarterback Aaron Rodgers has been quick with his decision-making and fairly accurate with his throws during camp, but he has thrown nearly as many interceptions (three) as Brett Favre (five) and hasn't quite hit a stride, according to coach Mike McCarthy.

"I think you're seeing he's reached that level of comfort," McCarthy said. "He's making, for the most part, good decisions. Now he needs to take the next step. That's when you see (in) the quarterback play the sense of urgency of taking advantage of situations and opportunities that arise in the scheme he's going against."

For his part, Rodgers said he felt confident in the offense and where he is supposed to go with the ball. He said he was thinking less and reacting more.

"The game is slowing down for me," Rodgers said. "I've had a couple poor decisions this camp, and you've just got to learn from them and try to come back and be consistent with your decision-making the next day."

GrnBay007
08-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Yes 29 interceptions last season was ugly, Yes maybe some things need to be corrected or addressed...........BUT I sure hope this does not turn into a media circus. I don't think getting the daily "Favre interception" report is going to do the team or Favre any good. I hope they give it a rest and let the team practice!!!!!!!!

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 11:48 PM
Yes 29 interceptions last season was ugly, Yes maybe some things need to be corrected or addressed...........BUT I sure hope this does not turn into a media circus. I don't think getting the daily "Favre interception" report is going to do the team or Favre any good. I hope they give it a rest and let the team practice!!!!!!!!

Good observation GrnBay007. Note, that was an AP write-up.

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Hail The Almighty Training Camp !

By Tim Keown
Page 2

There's nothing better than training camp, a five-week stretch when rash judgments and bloated self-importance are not only tolerated but encouraged. It's that glorious time of year when heat indexes are monitored and slap fights between mastodonic linemen are covered in the newspapers as if they were world wars.

Baseball's spring training is an overture, a time for the discussion of fifth starters and utility infielders. Football training camp is more of a John Philip Sousa march, all loud thumps and breathless discussions of backup tackles.

Less than a week into it, we've already got a favorite moment. Alex Smith threw five interceptions and three touchdowns in his first two noncontact scrimmages with the 49ers over the weekend, and we know this because someone kept track.

Keeping track of noncontact scrimmage statistics is bad enough, but when 49ers coach Mike Nolan was asked about it, things really got good.

Was Smith's timing off? Nolan was asked.

"Does it [look off]?" Nolan was quoted as saying in the San Francisco Chronicle. "Is that right? We're going to have to hire you as a coach."

Man, that's why we love football. There's nothing better than a football coach being in midseason form three days into training camp.

This is the kind of news for which we yearn the other 11 months of the year:

Dolphins coach Nick Saban turned down dinner with President Bush, stating, "Once we commit to camp, I'm out of everything." He said politics had no bearing on the decision, only camp, almighty camp.

On the Web site for the Dallas Morning News, there was a Cowboys blog Monday titled, "Explaining Rob Petitti" in a headline size usually reserved for non-Rob Petitti news.

In Miami, Daunte Culpepper moved freely and threw accurately in his first appearance with the Dolphins. We were told, in a tone that emphasized the importance of the occasion, that Culpepper's workout started outside before rains moved it into the beautiful new indoor practice facility.

And, of course, since it's training camp, there must be competing stories on the continuing education and alleged improvement of Michael Vick. Depending on what you read, he's either maturing as a quarterback and learning to operate within the system, or he's feuding with head coach Jim Mora Jr. and offensive coordinator Greg Knapp and will never, ever alter his style to fit the parameters of the offense.

Perfect, and one thing you need to understand: Whichever choice you pick -- Vick as adapter or Vick as renegade -- there will be someone there to record the statistics that will fit either argument

• Raiders wide receiver Jerry Porter: Who has never made a Pro Bowl or come close to fulfilling the potential he seems to think he possesses, showed up for training camp and immediately let everyone know he is not happy with the direction of the team under new coach Art Shell.

• And finally, one fact that bears mentioning: Shell had yet to coach one official practice with the Raiders when Porter issued his proclamation.

Tim Keown is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine. Sound off to Page 2

Bretsky
08-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Most of you will know me as a huge Favre supporter.

And while I still question the hiring of MM to a point, I do think this is a very good sign.

I've said many many times Favre hasn't received an ounce of coaching since Mike Holmgren was here.

Rhodes was Rhodes chewing on the gum.

Sherman had no idea how to handle Favre and whatever he was trying was not working. To my disgust, they even dummy downed his responsibilities to where he really wasn't suppose to audible much if at all.

Mike McCarthy is a new coach wading through his first season. This was a good step.

After witnessing the five picks, he went back and watched practice film and three of those five picks were unacceptable in his view.

So he attempted to send a message. The dumb mistakes are no longer acceptable.

Now I have no clue as to whether this will work or not, but I'm impressed by his comments and I'd also bet MM had a short sit down with Brett Favre to discuss this behind the scenes as well.

We do need Favre to be smarter this year. He has the talent and ability. But we're not nearly good enough to make up for multitude of bad decisions.

I'd love a see improvement on the decision making process, and I'd love to see the old days when Favre wasn't afraid to call an audible like the First TD Pass to Rison in the Super Bowl. Challenge him to be better; challenge him to study film harder and know the game plan better.

Coach him.

To me this is a positive sign.

B

Noodle
08-02-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm not sure it's fair to say that Shermy and company didn't know how to coach him. I think they just kind of threw up their hands and said, "screw it," let Favre be Favre, cause there's not much we can do about it.

I remember a few years back, I think it was Rossley put together a film of all of Favre's picks from the past season and wanted him to watch it so he could learn. Favre's reaction was, and I roughly quote, "Why not have me watch film of all the passes I completed?"

Favre really believes, I think, that picks just come with the territory and are an indication that he's trying hard to win. He doesn't see them as something to correct. Maybe Holmgren could have got through to him, but my feeling is that after the 3 MVPs, Favre became uncoachable by anyone.

That doesn't mean he's not great, it just means he won't learn from past mistakes.

Lare
08-02-2006, 07:54 PM
I just love reporting like this;

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers has been quick with his decision-making and fairly accurate with his throws during camp, but he has thrown nearly as many interceptions (three) as Brett Favre (five) and hasn't quite hit a stride, according to coach Mike McCarthy.

This reporter looks at one QB throwing 3 interceptions as being "nearly as many" as the five thrown by another QB.

Another reporter may look at it as one QB only throwin "about half as many" interceptions as the other QB.

There's quite a bit of difference in the opinions formed by readers of either form of biased reporting.

Noodle
08-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Very good point. Everything I hear is that A-Rod is having a strong camp. But, in the end, we're at the mercy of the attitudes of the writers, as your observation makes clear.

Good thing we have so many dedicated Packer Rats who report on practices (and do a really good job) so that you can at least get a wide variety of viewpoints.

Bretsky
08-02-2006, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure it's fair to say that Shermy and company didn't know how to coach him. I think they just kind of threw up their hands and said, "screw it," let Favre be Favre, cause there's not much we can do about it.

I remember a few years back, I think it was Rossley put together a film of all of Favre's picks from the past season and wanted him to watch it so he could learn. Favre's reaction was, and I roughly quote, "Why not have me watch film of all the passes I completed?"

Favre really believes, I think, that picks just come with the territory and are an indication that he's trying hard to win. He doesn't see them as something to correct. Maybe Holmgren could have got through to him, but my feeling is that after the 3 MVPs, Favre became uncoachable by anyone.

That doesn't mean he's not great, it just means he won't learn from past mistakes.

Noodle,

Part of coaching is dealing with ego's and finding ways to coach them. I think your points above are more evidence that the prior staff was clueless.

Deputy Nutz
08-02-2006, 08:53 PM
What does McCarthy really have to lose with Favre's ego? Nothing, good or bad this is probably the last season we will see #4, and if he wants it to be good he will stop making unacceptable throws, especially down the middle of the field. McCarthy is admiting the obvious, which Sherman failed to do time and time again with the fans and the media. I believe this lead to Favre believing that he had the green light to play beyond the system, beyond what was humanly possible especially in 2005.

Favre didn't make mistakes in 95, 96, and 97. He didn't throw the ball late down the middle of the field, hell he didn't throw the ball late down the sideline. He either made a checkdown throw, or got rid of the ball by throwing it out of bounds. Favre demonstrated cabable and conservative play once before, there is no reason he can't do it again.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 08:55 PM
What does McCarthy really have to lose with Favre's ego? Nothing, good or bad this is probably the last season we will see #4, and if he wants it to be good he will stop making unacceptable throws, especially down the middle of the field.

It's a little bit risky. It could result in a split between McCarthy & Favre. But I think a risk worth taking. Favre wants to go out on a high note, and will play his role.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 09:24 PM
I think Favre responds to tough coaching. At least, he did with his old man and Mike Holmgren. He didn't throw a lot of picks at Southern Miss. I wonder what the coach down there was like.

b bulldog
08-02-2006, 09:28 PM
I for one love the thought that the HC is actually coaching all the players and not just all the players that aren't named Favre.

Bretsky
08-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Agree

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 11:45 PM
What does McCarthy really have to lose with Favre's ego? Nothing, good or bad this is probably the last season we will see #4, and if he wants it to be good he will stop making unacceptable throws, especially down the middle of the field. McCarthy is admiting the obvious, which Sherman failed to do time and time again with the fans and the media. I believe this lead to Favre believing that he had the green light to play beyond the system, beyond what was humanly possible especially in 2005.

Favre didn't make mistakes in 95, 96, and 97. He didn't throw the ball late down the middle of the field, hell he didn't throw the ball late down the sideline. He either made a checkdown throw, or got rid of the ball by throwing it out of bounds. Favre demonstrated cabable and conservative play once before, there is no reason he can't do it again.

Yea !

Brett Favre has to smarten up or his ass will hit the pine.

Favre has to play QB in a fashion that will give us the best opportunity to win. Favre has to take his shots when it's opportune and the score and clock say - GO - but he has at other times, to exercise patience.

I believe that MM will be really tough on Brett Favre, but I'm trying to re-call. Has Brett ever gone at a HC on the sidelines? Any sign of a carry over to the next game?

Anyone? The answer is_ and_ !

We can speculate on Favre and Mike McCarthy and he will's - till the cows come in, but Brett is Brett Favre and I expect he'll do as he's always done.

The best we can hope for - again this season.

GO PACKERS !