PDA

View Full Version : Some Tidbits from Rotoworld - Jenkins/Crosby/Donald Lee

packers11
05-06-2010, 11:01 AM
www.rotoworld.com

The Packers are unlikely to bring back Cullen Jenkins after this season, according to the Green Bay Post-Gazette.

Jenkins will become an unrestricted free agent in 2011. The Packers drafted defensive ends Mike Neal in the second round and C.J. Wilson in the seventh round, preparing themselves for the departure of Jenkins and 2007 first-round bust Justin Harrell.

The Packers are not likely to bring back free agent Ahman Green, according to the Green Bay Post-Gazette.

The Packers drafted James Starks, putting Brandon Jackson on notice and eliminating a need for Green. At age 33, Green won't garner much interest around the league.

Donald Lee's days in Green Bay could be numbered, according to Mike Vandermause of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

Lee is set to make $2 million this season and $2.2 million in 2011 before becoming a free agent. Jermichael Finley is the clear No. 1 tight end, and the Packers drafted the talented Andrew Quarless in the fifth round. Still, we suspect Lee will stick around for at least this season while Quarless develops.

The Packers have still not brought in any competition for K Mason Crosby.
It looks like the Packers are going to trust the talented Crosby to work out his troubles. He was just 6-for-13 from 40+ yards out last season and recorded bad misses from 34,38, 42 and 43 yards out. If Crosby can get some confidence in camp, he'll be a solid fantasy option thanks to the Packers' explosive offense.

I don't agree on the Jenkins analysis... He was good at the 3-4 DE spot and is a good player... He would get the franchise tag then be traded (like Corey Williams) or get resigned... I just don't see T.T. letting him go without any value...

get louder at lambeau
05-06-2010, 11:41 AM
All those blurbs are from the mouth/pen of Mr. Mike Vandermause, and are based on nothing but his own clumsy thought processes.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/47015/officer_Barbrady.gif

retailguy
05-06-2010, 12:13 PM
I think those things all make sense. It would not surprise me in the least that Donald Lee could be waived this season. Cullen Jenkins? My take is that Cullen estimates his value to the team higher that Ted does. I doubt he's retained, unless, the new guys don't develop fast enough.

I don't see the franchise tag as an option though. I don't think a guaranteed DE salary is worth the risk of being able to sign/trade him. He probably just walks away.

MadScientist
05-06-2010, 01:45 PM
It's not that Jenkins is clearly on the way out, but likely that one of Jenkins or Jolly will be gone next year. How they do this year will determine which one gets paid.

Lurker64
05-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Remember that after Raji got drafted last year, people were pretty sure Pickett wouldn't be back. Yet Pickett not only got franchised after the year, but was subsequently signed through 2013.

So don't count out Jolly and Jenkins just yet. Remember, we're going to rotate 5 DL on game days. If both Jolly and Jenkins are gone, our DL rotation will be just as thin as it was to get Thompson to draft Neal in the first place.

Whether Jolly or Jenkins is gone is going to have a lot to do with how they play this year and how Talley, Wynn, and Wilson look up against NFL calibre talent. Too early to predict either of those things.

pbmax
05-06-2010, 02:38 PM
And KGB was too expensive. And AJ Hawk was too expensive. Now Donald Lee is too expensive.

More likely (leaving aside injury and imagining Jolly doesn't end up in jail) is that only one of the new D ends work out and either Jolly/Jenkins get signed to stay on.

Tarlam!
05-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Lot of pessimism from Mike V. huh? Wow...

Alternatively, man, how optimistic Mike V. is about the new draft class!

It's all pure speculation except the thing about Starks and Green. I don't think Jackson has to worry; he seems to do everything he's asked to do in the supporting role. I see that part of the statement as more speculation.

But geez, what's a beat writer gonna do if no one's talking, training,playing or getting arrested let alone making ambiguious statements on obscure radio stations! :lol:

Fritz
05-06-2010, 05:25 PM
jenkins or jolly. Someone goes after this year.

And harrell is down to his very last training camp.

MJZiggy
05-06-2010, 06:31 PM
I wonder if anyone's explained to Vandy (besides TT when he clearly spelled it out in his press conferences. That he doesn't draft that way. He takes the best player available to him at the time and rumor has it that a number of players fell into his lap this year. He doesn't draft a guy in the lower rounds specifically to replace a first round pick from a couple years ago. It just don't work that way.

get louder at lambeau
05-06-2010, 11:32 PM
And KGB was too expensive. And AJ Hawk was too expensive. Now Donald Lee is too expensive.

More likely (leaving aside injury and imagining Jolly doesn't end up in jail) is that only one of the new D ends work out and either Jolly/Jenkins get signed to stay on.

I think you forgot Donald Driver. Isn't he too old and expensive since a couple years ago too?

Especially now that they have drafted James Jones three years back, and Jordy two years ago. No way that he's still on the roster this year, right? He's due over $7 mil.

Now that I think about it- ouch, $7 mil at 35 years old. :shock: Still, my money is on him suiting up and doing his job well, like he has for the last 8 years or so. I'm sure Mr. Vandypants will disagree, once he sees how much Driver is due to be paid, and he thinks about it with his misguided point of view about how things work in GB.

packrulz
05-07-2010, 05:23 AM
Vandermause's chat: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100503/PKR01/305030117/1058/PKR01/Mike-Vandermause-chat--Read-the-transcript

Bretsky
05-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Another Anti Packer media know nothing :lol:

Bretsky
05-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Vandermause's chat: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100503/PKR01/305030117/1058/PKR01/Mike-Vandermause-chat--Read-the-transcript

Thanks for posting the chat; actually I didn't think that he was overly negative

Joemailman
05-07-2010, 08:15 PM
[Comment From Guest]
Do Hawk and Mattews get along? Jim
4:03
As far as I know they get along. In fact, I have seen them together outside of a football setting, which leads me to believe they get along.

What was the point of this question? Have there been reports they don't get along?

Lurker64
05-07-2010, 08:48 PM
[Comment From Guest]
Do Hawk and Mattews get along? Jim
4:03
As far as I know they get along. In fact, I have seen them together outside of a football setting, which leads me to believe they get along.

What was the point of this question? Have there been reports they don't get along?

My guess is someone was making too much of some OSU-USC rivalry that never really got started?

green_bowl_packer
05-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Someone hogging the locker room blow dryer?

packrulz
05-08-2010, 06:30 AM

Thanks for posting the chat; actually I didn't think that he was overly negative
I just posted it because Vandermause was there watching the rookies practice, I can't wait for the OTA's. I remember after Tony Mandarich was drafted I went to his first scrimmage and I was watching him do blocking drills against the D-lineman and he got his ass kicked, I thought that was disturbing! :shock: I hope Bulaga is the real deal.

Fritz
05-08-2010, 09:09 AM
That must have been disturbing, Packrulz. The guy who's supposed to be all that and a bag of chips comes in and promptly receives an ass kicking everywhere he goes. Yuck.

Oh my. That list. Barry Sanders. Deion Sanders. A few other All-Pros.

Ouch.

packerbacker1234
05-09-2010, 09:07 PM
I think it's doubtful Lee gets the ax this season. Qaurels would either have to develop and be ready right away, or they are just that confident in the all world utility man being capable of being a productive 2nd TE should Qaurells need time to adjust to the pro game.

I think jenkins not being resigned is possible. I think in an ideal world you do sign him, but with raji able to play the spot along with possibly neal, it will be hard to justify it unless neal turns into a total bust.

The rest are sort of meh. Crosby has all the talent adn leg in the world, his accuracy just seesm to get worse every season. I don;t know if it's all mental, or he just simply is an erradict kicker.

Those 4 really bad misses were next to inexcusable, and given his range and weather conditions, even some of the 45+ kicks should be a lot closer than they are.