PDA

View Full Version : The Next Line Worker at your Local McDonalds :)

Tony Oday
05-06-2010, 04:05 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/oakland-raiders-release-jamarcus-russell-050610

Tarlam!
05-06-2010, 04:33 PM
I called this one. I never thought he'd be a good fit for a team that's essentially coached by Al Davis.

But the real meat on the bones was the hold out until after the season started. What a jerk. All that talent and such a bust.

Freak Out
05-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Not a surprise at all.....but wow...$100,000 per completion! :shock: :lol:

Fritz
05-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Would you like Jamarcus Russell, or Calvin Johnson, or Adrian Peterson?

I must say that most folks on this board went with B. or C. Not many Jamarcus fans. And they wuz right.

Al Davis - man, he's the Matt Millen of owners.

Tony Oday
05-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Never thought he would amount to a thing but a "where are they now" character when he is filing BK.

hoosier
05-06-2010, 07:19 PM
The federal government can always appropriate private property in the interests of the public good under the concept of eminent domain. It seems like there should come a point where Goodell could do something similar. Acting in the interests of the league's integrity, he would simply relieve Al Davis of the burden of ownership and transfer the Raiders into receivership. That would probably make the annual NFL draft a little less interesting (no more train wrecks in the top 10 picks) but it would also put an end to sad stories like this one.

Lurker64
05-06-2010, 10:18 PM
but it would also put an end to sad stories like this one.

Well, the Jamarcus pick wasn't exactly a truly horrible one at the time. He was a highly rated college quarterback who was physically impressive and seemed fairly intelligent when running the LSU offense.

The problem with the Russell pick was the classic one of "how do you know how a 21 year old is going to react when you give him 40 million dollars", which is something that's easier to fix with a rookie payscale than it is by getting Alpatine out of the GM's chair.

The DHB pick on the other hand...

mraynrand
05-06-2010, 11:00 PM
The federal government can always appropriate private property in the interests of the public good under the concept of eminent domain..

If this were FYI, I'd thump your skull.

Guiness
05-06-2010, 11:14 PM
I assume the 'remove Al' is in jest. He's a mere shadow of his former self, and quite delusional at times I'm sure, but I bet he's still a force to be reckoned with. He's caught the league with their pants down and had his way with them more often than anyone else.

So, is this guy a bigger bust than the favorite wiping boy, Leaf? Seems to me that Leaf hurt his team more, because they had talent and were getting better, and he was holding them back, with both play and salary. On the other hand, he was a #1 pick, and got released faster. I don't count the money, because that's just a factor of the year he was drafted in.

Jamarcus wasn't holding that team back, it was going to be in the toilet with or without him.

Gunakor
05-07-2010, 12:36 AM
Does this mean that Lane Kiffin is eligible to be rehired now?

Tarlam!
05-07-2010, 02:07 AM
The federal government can always appropriate private property in the interests of the public good under the concept of eminent domain..

If this were FYI, I'd thump your skull.

BOMNF!!! :alc:

hoosier
05-07-2010, 08:04 AM
but it would also put an end to sad stories like this one.

Well, the Jamarcus pick wasn't exactly a truly horrible one at the time. He was a highly rated college quarterback who was physically impressive and seemed fairly intelligent when running the LSU offense.

The problem with the Russell pick was the classic one of "how do you know how a 21 year old is going to react when you give him 40 million dollars", which is something that's easier to fix with a rookie payscale than it is by getting Alpatine out of the GM's chair.

The DHB pick on the other hand...

Yeah, it wasn't a horrible pick in the sense that if he had been drafted by some other team with more stability, he might well have developed into a successful NFL QB. But in view of the Raider's ineptitude it was fairly predictable that he wouldn't develop quickly. And then, when he struggles on the field and his team is in turmoil, all of that makes it much easier for his worst instincts to take over. That is what makes it a sad story, not because he was destined to fail but because the Raiders were not able to create a situation where he could develop and be successful.

ThunderDan
05-07-2010, 08:08 AM
The thing that made Russell be an NFL flop was his 1.6 second release. He really wound up to throw the ball. Oh and his immaturity.

MichiganPackerFan
05-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Fox Sports listed the top 10 draft busts of the last 20 years. Ohio does not have a good track record. I am surprised there are no Lions on there.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/Top_draft_busts_of_last_20_years#sport=NFL&photo=11172494

hoosier
05-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Fox Sports listed the top 10 draft busts of the last 20 years. Ohio does not have a good track record. I am surprised there are no Lions on there.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/Top_draft_busts_of_last_20_years#sport=NFL&photo=11172494

Yes, where are those WR's picked in the top 10? Surely Charles Rogers is a better posterboy than Marinovich for "career derailed by drug abuse"! And while Ohio has a spotty record, Penn State doesn't come out so great here either.

pbmax
05-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Putting Ki-Jana Carter on the list is a bit harsh. He didn't dominate, but he was effective. The knee injury finished that. Busting with an injury seems like a separate category.

Tony Oday
05-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Putting Ki-Jana Carter on the list is a bit harsh. He didn't dominate, but he was effective. The knee injury finished that. Busting with an injury seems like a separate category.

agreed.

Lurker64
05-07-2010, 10:06 PM
This is definitely pretty interesting (and entertaining).

I think everybody but Mayock, Brandt, and Prisco end up looking like fools here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1005/nfl.jamarcus.russell.hype/content.1.html

Tarlam!
05-08-2010, 04:53 AM
This is definitely pretty interesting (and entertaining).

I think everybody but Mayock, Brandt, and Prisco end up looking like fools

Definitely entertaining! Merill Hodge pointed out the risks, so, unlike Kiper Jr., he doesn't have egg all over his face! I give Hodge a pass. Kiffin was diplomatic, but we have hindsight that fought tooth and nail against the pick, so he gets a pass. Kubiak was being politically correct IMO. Comparing him to C'pepper isn't a glowing endorsement :lol: , Marinelli is skating close to thin ice and Gruden? Well, his quote doesn't offer a prognosis.

For me, draft Guru Kiper aught to be ashamed of himself! :lol:

Patler
05-08-2010, 05:42 AM
Mandarich has publicly admitted his secret to the dominant college career at Michigan State that led to him being a No. 1 overall pick — steroids.

Wasn't Troy Aikman the #1 overall pick that year? Mandarich was second, not that it makes a big difference. However, it would seem that the article should have been better researched.

Patler
05-08-2010, 05:56 AM

agreed.

I think the same could be said for Courtney Brown. He was in the league for six seasons, and was a starter the entire time, but was injured too often. Hard to call a six year starter as a top all-time bust. Maybe not a great pick, but the #7 all-time draft bust?

Patler
05-08-2010, 06:04 AM
Where is Brian Bosworth on the list?
Signed the biggest contract ever at the time and lasted just three mediocre seasons.