PDA

View Full Version : Why Was Matt Leinart Passed Up by Packers Etc. ?

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 12:24 AM
OFFSEASON HIGHS AND LOWS

By Gregg Easterbrook
Special to Page 2

Matt Leinart remains the sole important unsigned draft choice, and Matt, no matter how long you hold out, it's not going to change -- you were drafted only 10th. But yours truly continues to scratch his head about the slide of Matt Leinart to the 10th selection in the draft. Methinks a number of teams will someday rue, really rue, their failure to write this gentleman's name on an index card.

Houston, at the first pick, made a commitment to David Carr, and Carr has played reasonably well, without complaint, for awful teams. New Orleans, with the second choice, had lots of good reasons to select Reggie Bush. Choosing third, Tennessee believed Vince Young will be better than Leinart. Choosing fourth, Jersey/B had a draft plan that included landing a good quarterback prospect (Kellen Clemens) in the second round. So yours truly sees logic in the decisions of the first four teams to pass on Leinart.

But the next five teams -- Ye gods. Green Bay, San Francisco, Oakland, Buffalo and Detroit, all with serious quarterback issues, neglected Leinart.

Sure, the Packers used a No. 1 choice on Aaron Rodgers the year prior. But that was then, this is now! For throwing ability, command of the field and swagger, Leinart is the most Brett-Favre-like prospect to enter the league in a decade.

Sure the Squared Sevens used the prior year's first overall choice on Alex Smith. But that was then, this is now, why does last year's error mandate another error this year?

Oakland ignored Leinart despite its underwhelming troika of Aaron Brooks, Marques Tuiasosopo and Andrew Walter at quarterback. Brooks had six years to prove himself as starter for the Saints, and in that time New Orleans rivaled the Lions as the least-feared team in the NFL.

Buffalo ignored Leinart despite its underwhelming troika of Kelly Holcomb, J.P. Losman and Craig Nall at quarterback. Yes, the Bills two years ago sunk first- and second-round choices into Losman, but that was then, this is now! Buffalo has been searching for a field leader since Jim Kelly retired, and the swaggering Leinart appears the most Kelly-like prospect in a decade.

Finally Detroit ignored Leinart. The Lions were reeling from not long ago using the third overall choice on a quarterback they ran out of town on a rail, Joey Harrington. But why does a previous mistake mandate another mistake?

Sure, nobody knows who will be good in the pros, and sure, Leinart's amazing 37-2 collegiate record came with a stacked team. But Green Bay, San Francisco, Oakland, Buffalo and Detroit have bad-to-awful situations at quarterback, the sport's most important position. All just passed on drafting one of the best quarterback prospects in a decade. Buffalo and Oakland passed on Leinart to draft safeties. Memo to the Bills and Raiders: Quarterback is more important than safety.

I've got five bucks that says Leinart will be performing in Honolulu in February in the not too distant future, while at least one of the guys inexplicably taken instead of him (A.J. Hawk, Vernon Davis, Michael Huff, Donte Whitner and Ernie Sims) will be a huge disappointment. Great Caesar's Ghost!

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 12:30 AM
I think it's a real stretch to say we have a bad to awful situation at QB. I can't even say San Fran does, and Oakland has a guy they are grooming (Walter) who I think has a chance to be a darn good QB. I guess if you draft a guy in the first round and he rides the pine in year one (Rodgers) or plays awfully in year one (Smith), they are to be written off immediately. That's just silly. I bet this guy has stated in the past that teams are too impatient with young QBs.

I'd tend to agree on Buffalo and Detroit though.

the_idle_threat
08-02-2006, 12:56 AM
Good points, Harv. I like Easterbrook---he's a smart writer with interesting takes---but he's a little too enamored with Leinart. Leinart is a good prospect, and I think he will start in the league, but nobody is a sure thing to be a star ... especially at quarterback. I think Easterbrook underestimates Hawk a little bit too, not to mention Hawk's perfect fit in Green Bay.

He does have one thing right though ... there will probably be a major disappointment among picks 5 through 9. My vote for that distinction is Detroit's choice of Ernie Sims. The guy is uber-talented and plays with reckless aggression. He might be the biggest hitter in the draft. But he had 5 concussions in college. Anyone who knows concussions knows that once they start, they become more and more of a risk. Concussions have ended many a sporting career prematurely. Combine that medical fact with a player who hits with reckless abandon, and you have a guy who quickly fades away due to recurring injury. Nice pick there, Millen.

CaliforniaCheez
08-02-2006, 05:49 AM
The title of the thread is self answering.

The fact is that Aaron Rodgers has not contributed to the team. A noncontributing first round pick two years in a row is a terrible waste of draft choices.

I said it the day they drafted Rodger that Nall was gone and they should have drafted a Lineman either offensive or defensive. Would not a starting first round pick at OG have made the team better? Certainly with Nall more inclined to re-sign.

Passing on Hawk for another guy wearing a baseball cap on Sundays?

No thanks.

P.S. I don't hate Rodgers it just takes time to develop a NFL QB. Just like the time invested in Nall.

KYPack
08-02-2006, 07:14 AM
OFFSEASON HIGHS AND LOWS

By Gregg Easterbrook
Special to Page 2

Sure, the Packers used a No. 1 choice on Aaron Rodgers the year prior. But that was then, this is now! For throwing ability, command of the field and swagger, Leinart is the most Brett-Favre-like prospect to enter the league in a decade.

Not only is Leinart not a sure thing, but his resemblance to Favre is debateable at best. Leinart has some leadership qualities, but his arm strength is questionable. If you wanted to question GB, yell at 'em for not picking Cutler, he looks a LITTLE like Favre. I don't see any QB "sure things" in this draft. Hawk was a great fit and we took him. Let's go gettum & quit worrying about the draft.

Badgepack
08-02-2006, 08:36 AM
If the Packers took Leinart, how much cap money would be tied up in QB's.

Charles Woodson
08-02-2006, 09:32 AM
OFFSEASON HIGHS AND LOWS

I've got five bucks that says Leinart will be performing in Honolulu in February in the not too distant future, while at least one of the guys inexplicably taken instead of him (A.J. Hawk, Vernon Davis, Michael Huff, Donte Whitner and Ernie Sims) will be a huge disappointment. Great Caesar's Ghost!

I think that Whitner, at least out of that group will be the one that will be the dissapointment.

oregonpackfan
08-02-2006, 03:19 PM
I agree that Leinhart has some short pass throwing abilities as well as strong leadership skills but his strengths stop there.

His downfield passing is suspect and he is immobile against the rush.

Finally, his success as a college QB is strongly due to the immense talent he had around him as well as a fine coaching staff.

I think Leinhart will be a marginal NFL quarterback at best.

OPF

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 03:25 PM
OFFSEASON HIGHS AND LOWS

I think that Whitner, at least out of that group will be the one that will be the dissapointment.

Alot of the "so called Experts" were surprised at that pick.

Detroit seems estatic with having Ernie Simms . . but that is Detroit.

Mike Martz may be the best thing since Barry Sanders for that franchise?

the_idle_threat
08-02-2006, 04:15 PM

Yes, it's Detroit ... they were pretty excited about their Mike Williams pick this time last year. With his injury history, I expect Sims to have a career similar to that of Carolina's Dan Morgan---very good when on the field, but not on the field for long. Almost certainly will be a shortened career when the concussions keep coming.

Whitner was considered a reach, but had a first-round grade. I'll bet he has a better career than Sims.

I think Vernon Davis is the next biggest flop hazard in that group of five. He was built up out of nowhere after the combine ... was compared to Gonzalez and Gates. Never mind the fact that his background is nothing like that of Gates or Gonzalez. Those guys were known for ther aggressive ball skills from playing basketball, going after rebounds. Davis lacks the basketball background and his ball skills are average---he's just big and fast. Whoopee---so is David Martin. But look at the film! Whoopee--you will notice the film contains about four big plays in his college career, played over and over and from different angles. I'm SO glad we didn't pass on Hawk and fall for that trap.

Deputy Nutz
08-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Ok I like Leinhart, but I don't believe the Packers should have taken him.

For one, he didn't seem to have the accuracy his senior year that all expected. I watched about 3 or 4 USC games and his recievers were always jumping for the ball or going across the middle trying to stretch out to get a pass that was thrown off the mark. He continually threw the ball high, and that leads to one thing in the NFL, INTs.

Leinhart does have intangibles that I do like. He is a fantastic leader with swagger that all will look to when the game is on the line. Unfortunately that swagger has caused an inflatted ego. The fact is Leinhart was about the tenth rated talent overall. Why he thinks he deserves more than what a regular 10th pick should be intitled to is beyond me. I would understand if he went into camp as the #1 QB in Arizona, but he is not.

Other than that, Lienhart does have the ability to avoid pressure in the pocket, and to me he has enough mobility to escape the pocket when the heat is on, he is no Mike Vick, or Brett Favre for that matter, but he isn't Drew Bledsoe.

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 04:45 PM

Yes, it's Detroit ... they were pretty excited about their Mike Williams pick this time last year. With his injury history, I expect Sims to have a career similar to that of Carolina's Dan Morgan---very good when on the field, but not on the field for long. Almost certainly will be a shortened career when the concussions keep coming.

Whitner was considered a reach, but had a first-round grade. I'll bet he has a better career than Sims.

I think Vernon Davis is the next biggest flop hazard in that group of five. He was built up out of nowhere after the combine ... was compared to Gonzalez and Gates. Never mind the fact that his background is nothing like that of Gates or Gonzalez. Those guys were known for ther aggressive ball skills from playing basketball, going after rebounds. Davis lacks the basketball background and his ball skills are average---he's just big and fast. Whoopee---so is David Martin. But look at the film! Whoopee--you will notice the film contains about four big plays in his college career, played over and over and from different angles. I'm SO glad we didn't pass on Hawk and fall for that trap.

Personally I like T2's #5 pick. AJ HAWK.

It made too much sense.

GO PACKERS !

the_idle_threat
08-02-2006, 04:52 PM
I agree, Woody! :cool:

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 09:14 PM
I think Aaron Rodger's prospects are just as good as Leinhert's.

SD GB fan
08-03-2006, 12:41 AM
OFFSEASON HIGHS AND LOWS

Sure, the Packers used a No. 1 choice on Aaron Rodgers the year prior. But that was then, this is now!

wow worst reason ever. "but that was then, this is now!" bullshit. rodgers hasnt even started a game yet. it wud be ridiculous to invest in two first round young QBs, especially when favre seems to keep coming back for more.

K-town
08-03-2006, 02:55 PM
I was not impressed with Leinart's deep throws in the college championship game vs. Texas. His balls seemed to float. :razz:

As far as decision-making capabilities, this is a guy who was dating PARIS HILTON.

the_idle_threat
08-03-2006, 03:21 PM
I was not impressed with Leinart's deep throws in the college championship game vs. Texas. His balls seemed to float. :razz:

As far as decision-making capabilities, this is a guy who was dating PARIS HILTON.

Two good (and entertaining) points! :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 03:22 PM
OFFSEASON HIGHS AND LOWS

Sure, the Packers used a No. 1 choice on Aaron Rodgers the year prior. But that was then, this is now!

wow worst reason ever. "but that was then, this is now!" bullshit. rodgers hasnt even started a game yet. it wud be ridiculous to invest in two first round young QBs, especially when favre seems to keep coming back for more.

I've often wondered what T2 would have done if both QB's Vince Young and Matt Leinart were there, when we went on the clock. We heard rumors that T2 loved Vince Young. I think about 40% of Packer fans (in my observation) were locked on HAWK - after Mario Williams.

HOLD THE FAITH - GO PACKERS In 2006 !!!

CyclonePackFan
08-03-2006, 06:06 PM
I said it over and over last year, and I'm repeating it right now. I do not, nor have I ever, thought Matt Leinart was a good QB. I didn't have a chance to watch many Pac-10 games, but Matt Leinart impressed me on one, and exactly one, play all year, when he audibled on 4th and long at Notre Dame and delivered a strike on the final drive. Other than that one play, I thought he was a mediocre QB with great talent around him.

Taking a QB in the first round a couple of years in a row has been done already. Cali and SD (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm making the assumption that you live where your name indicates) can probably testify about the joys of having two highly drafted QBs on the same team, like San Diego has been going through the past few years with Brees and Rivers.

Oh, and here's something Gregg didn't ever think about...Leinart would never have signed in Green Bay. Never. Leinart wants to be a movie star. He probably f*cked Paris Hilton just to be like all the other Hollywood stars :twisted: You can NOT tell me he would come to a market like Green Bay, where it's cold and deep in Big Ten territory. Let's face it, as far of a night life is concerned, I don't think Green Bay, Milwaukee, and Chicago really stand up to Leinart's standards of Los Angeles. Leinart needed to go to Pac 10 territory, and he did in Arizona. Of the five teams he listed, only San Francisco and Oakland would be acceptable to Leinart. San Fran just drafted Smith, and, even though this writer believes it to be an "error" just because of one bad year, consider this. Indy drafted that guy, Peyton Manning, in 1998. He had a shitty year. Should they have drafted Daunte Culpepper or Cade McNown over Edgerrin James the next year, Gregg? (*note, the author of this post in no way believes that Alex Smith will have a comparable career to Peyton Manning. It's just an analogy, people). Oakland was, is, and always will be a defensive team, and Michael Huff will be one hell of a safety.

Finally, and since I just noticed it, get Gregg a sayings or proverb book. He uses "but that was then, this is now" (in bold) not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES in this ONE article, and used a version of "Why does last year's error mandate another error this year?" (in italics) TWICE:

Sure the Squared Sevens used the prior year's first overall choice on Alex Smith. But that was then, this is now, why does last year's error mandate another error this year?

Buffalo ignored Leinart despite its underwhelming troika of Kelly Holcomb, J.P. Losman and Craig Nall at quarterback. Yes, the Bills two years ago sunk first- and second-round choices into Losman, but that was then, this is now! Buffalo has been searching for a field leader since Jim Kelly retired, and the swaggering Leinart appears the most Kelly-like prospect in a decade

Finally Detroit ignored Leinart. The Lions were reeling from not long ago using the third overall choice on a quarterback they ran out of town on a rail, Joey Harrington. But why does a previous mistake mandate another mistake

In summary, Gregg, do some research on the teams you are critiquing, and please for God's sake vary your style, syntax and word choice if you want to keep your job.

http://www.studentsfirst.us/content/img/f161006/grade.jpg