PDA

View Full Version : DROY brian cushing busted for roids

red
05-07-2010, 06:22 PM
guess that famous picture we all saw that some said was fake was the real deal

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/07/brian-cushing-suspended-four-games/

pbmax
05-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Which picture?

PFT mentions that this is 3 DROYs in eight years to test positive before the start of their second year.

red
05-07-2010, 06:56 PM
this one. the before and after pick. freshman to senior year

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/JSnipes/cushing.jpg

mission
05-07-2010, 08:57 PM
"told ya so"

:flag:

mission
05-07-2010, 09:14 PM
By the way, and I really really mean this:

I hope Clay Matthews does not take roids. It'd crush me, he's almost been too good to be true.

But then I step back and look at his football lineage and just realize he's bred to be great.

Scott Campbell
05-07-2010, 09:59 PM
I hope Clay Matthews does not take roids. It'd crush me, he's almost been too good to be true.

That would suck. And it's the first thing that came to mind when I saw the Cushing news too.

pbmax
05-07-2010, 10:06 PM
By the way, and I really really mean this:

But then I step back and look at his football lineage and just realize he's bred to be great.
It won't help if I tell you I always feared his father was on something. I saw him at the Browns training camp in the late 80s and he looked more like a Mr. Olympia contestant than a linebacker. In those days, guys that cut were few and far between. But he was not the size of Cushing in Red's picture. He just looked like he had a Marvel comics illustrator fill out his uniform.

red
05-07-2010, 10:18 PM
i'm worried about mathews too

they both were rumored to have failed the test at the combine, and they both came from the same school, had the same coaches, and where probably pretty close

it would suck bad, but it wouldn't shock me

RashanGary
05-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Between Clay, Cush and Orakpo. . . Clay looks like the most natural one. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if he was on some sort of performance enhancer though.

RashanGary
05-07-2010, 10:44 PM
dp

Tony Oday
05-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Nope CMIII just has great German cooking in GB :)

3irty1
05-08-2010, 08:11 AM
They're probably all on it. You'd be too if you had as much to gain from it as they do.

twoseven
05-08-2010, 08:36 AM
this one. the before and after pick. freshman to senior year

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/JSnipes/cushing.jpg

the one of Cushing on the left looks still looks like a case of Gynecomastia if you are thinking he wasn't yet on anything.
he could have already started cycling something even though he was nowhere near the picture on the right.

Anabolics don't make you look like the picture on the right. They do (1) repair tissue faster so you can workout 2-3 times as often without taking days off which makes everything go faster, (2) aid in tissue strength and growth faster than if not on them, so that those workouts pay extra dividends (3) most importantly they act as a shield against overtraining and dieting below your needed daily caloric intake..in other words, you can cut off the fat pretty easily without having your muscles suffering from catabolism, something non-users do not get away with.

Illegal anabolics do not make you look like the one on the right by just injecting them and sitting on your ass. but they do make it possible for you to train in a way that will make you look like the picture on the right over time.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Adolecent_with_Gynecomastia.jpg

Fritz
05-08-2010, 08:46 AM
The Matthews kid is the first thing I thought of too. My opinion is that the odds are that he's done it, that most of them do.

Maybe that's why TT didn't draft any outside linebackers this year!

twoseven
05-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Between Clay, Cush and Orakpo. . . Clay looks like the most natural one. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if he was on some sort of performance enhancer though.like what? what performance enhancer (PE) do you think would help him look like he does that is not an anabolic? i am not going after your post, but i do wish more people would expand their knowledge of how certain PEs work and what they actually do for you versus lumping them into one big group. i take sevral PEs, all are legal for me (some may not be for an NFL player), and they all do completely different things for me while all still being PEs. none of them are even remotely close to what Cushing's 'substances' might have done for him illegally.

Tarlam!
05-08-2010, 01:54 PM
27, what causes the breasts to go all pointy and girl looking??

rbaloha1
05-08-2010, 02:02 PM
The Matthews kid is the first thing I thought of too. My opinion is that the odds are that he's done it, that most of them do.

Agreed. CM probably used some type of pe. Hopefully CM stopped.

mission
05-08-2010, 02:26 PM
27, what causes the breasts to go all pointy and girl looking??

http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation/2006/07/trojan_horse.html

When an athlete juices with roids, he suppresses his natural testosterone. When he stops the roids, his own natural testosterone can't catch up fast enough to the estrogen that is left over. The result -- estrogen affects the body to produce effects like gyncomastia.

There could be other explanations For Brian Cushing's gynecomastia.

We suppose............

So I guess the pictures are a little backwards. Follow that link about and I think it's him in high school first (ripped) and then he was injured (and a freshman) at USC when the "boob pic" was taken.

twoseven
05-08-2010, 03:47 PM
he may have learned how to avoid the gyno as he got older, taking other things to combat that test level problem, there are ways. not saying he was for sure, just posted a pic so you could see what it looks like. either way that first image of him looks pretty suspect. it's just not often you see that enlarged aerola on a guy.

get louder at lambeau
05-08-2010, 10:46 PM
it's just not often you see that enlarged aerola on a guy.

Thank god. That's fucking gross. Hopefully there aren't any pics of Clay looking like a budding 12 year old girl out there. Wouldn't you think Cushing would at least have the decency to wear a training bra with those creepy enlarged nips?

Guiness
05-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Agreed that the pic on the left looks like a case of gyno - you can look like the pic on the right w/o roids (he actually doesn't look that bad - face is clear) but the one on the left raises all kinds of flags.

Anyone care to comment on these pics?

http://flashwarner.com/images/cushingrecruit.JPG

twoseven
05-10-2010, 04:11 AM
Agreed that the pic on the left looks like a case of gyno - you can look like the pic on the right w/o roids (he actually doesn't look that bad - face is clear) but the one on the left raises all kinds of flags.

Anyone care to comment on these pics?

http://flashwarner.com/images/cushingrecruit.JPG
had to paste the URL to see them. those are high school shots, am pretty sure. they look totally normal. in most cases, almost anything is possible with the body, just happens a lot faster with anabolics. from earliest stages of puberty up until early 20s everyone has high levels of these substances flowing through their bodies, especially males who have very high testosterone levels during puberty. this is the optimal time to be taking advantage of the free and natural roids, and any kid that safely hits the weights hard enough (starting as early as age 12 in some cases, yes it is safe, feel free to debate with me if you want) can look like a monster come 18-20 years of age. anyone with someone to help them with a solid lifting program (coach, dad, experienced mentor) that focuses on the big lifts (squats, heavy presses, deads, heavy pulls) can achieve pretty massive size and strength totals without taking one single illegal substance. the key component for these individuals will be getting enough total calories and protein intakes to support the pounds they are trying to add to their frames.

so, with Matthews it is much more likely that he could fit this kind of bill with a grandfather, father and uncle that were there before him. not saying clay is guaranteed clean, just that his family history would give him greater odds of learning the legal tricks much sooner. james laurenitis, another good exampe of a next generation athlete, when he is home works out at the gym i work out of. you don't need to watch him for long to see he learned the right way very early on. his father (Animal from the Road Warriors) spent a lifetime in the same gym, knows the ins and outs. so james got a big head start from dad, his body shows it if you see high school photos, also got a huge boost from the school program he was in in HS. his sister is also way ahead of the curve, stronger looking than most girls her age, just from learning proper technique and getting started early with dad as a mentor. i can make the same comments about Carl Eller's son when he was in high shool, way ahead of the curve in late teens before he got injured at penn state. parents that know how to exercise and lift the right way pass it on to their kids pretty often and it usually shows.

packers11
05-10-2010, 12:03 PM
www.rotoworld.com

According to Associated Press advisor Dave Goldberg, the AP may hold a re-vote for the 2009 Defensive Rookie of the Year award.

Goldberg is also a Rookie of the Year voter. A decision isn't expected for a few days "at least," but Brian Cushing is in danger of being stripped of his award after testing positive for a banned substance last September. Cushing insists that it wasn't steroids. The linebacker wouldn't just lose the trophy, he'd also lose incentives based on rookie-year accomplishments.
Source: Dave Goldberg on Twitter

Clay Matthews??? DROY?

twoseven
05-10-2010, 01:12 PM
www.rotoworld.com

According to Associated Press advisor Dave Goldberg, the AP may hold a re-vote for the 2009 Defensive Rookie of the Year award.

Goldberg is also a Rookie of the Year voter. A decision isn't expected for a few days "at least," but Brian Cushing is in danger of being stripped of his award after testing positive for a banned substance last September. Cushing insists that it wasn't steroids. The linebacker wouldn't just lose the trophy, he'd also lose incentives based on rookie-year accomplishments.

Clay Matthews??? DROY?

Brian Cushing, LB, Houston 39
Jairus Byrd, S, Buffalo 6
Clay Matthews III, LB, Green Bay 3
Brian Orakpo, LB, Washington 2

well, Byrd was in second place, so who knows.

MadScientist
05-10-2010, 01:29 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Clay Matthews??? DROY?

Brian Cushing, LB, Houston 39
Jairus Byrd, S, Buffalo 6
Clay Matthews III, LB, Green Bay 3
Brian Orakpo, LB, Washington 2

well, Byrd was in second place, so who knows.
A re-vote would be the fairest option, as 6 out of 50 votes does not seem like enough to justify the award, especially with stripping 39 of 50 voters of their opinion. I would not be surprised if Byrd wins a re-vote, especially if Clay is bitten by some of the taint from Cushing.

Does anyone know if there Matthews has a bonus clause for winning the DROY?

bobblehead
05-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Between Clay, Cush and Orakpo. . . Clay looks like the most natural one. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if he was on some sort of performance enhancer though.like what? what performance enhancer (PE) do you think would help him look like he does that is not an anabolic? i am not going after your post, but i do wish more people would expand their knowledge of how certain PEs work and what they actually do for you versus lumping them into one big group. i take sevral PEs, all are legal for me (some may not be for an NFL player), and they all do completely different things for me while all still being PEs. none of them are even remotely close to what Cushing's 'substances' might have done for him illegally.

Since JH never responded I'll take a shot at it. Like you I have a pretty wide knowledge of this subject.

To my experience guys on roids are more compact. Muscles get to develop that don't develop quite as naturally (Barry Bonds muscles just over his ears that caused the cap size explosion). Clay is long and lean....take a look at a picture of Frank Zane. There is an entire body building competition out there for "clean" competitors (can't recall the name right now.) Clay does exhibit a body type more in line with a clean body (not saying he is clean, but saying if you look at him next to cushing and had to pick one for the money, cushing would be my bet to be on roids.)

Roid guys can get MUCH bigger while still maintaining muscle separation than a clean guy can. For me, I can get to about 190 while still having a ripped body....no bigger, ever. I can get stronger and bigger, but I lose the muscle separation. Its hard to describe in type, but you have been around the gym and know what I mean. If you got a 6'4" guy who looks more like 6'6" standing by a 6'4" guy who at first glance looks 6'2" and you gotta pick the guy on roids, its contestant 2 every time.

One last point where I disagree with you. Steroids DO allow you to achieve a higher result without working nearly as hard. You have to work some to stimulate growth, but the chemical makeup of a steroid is different than that of testosterone. It stimulates repair in a different way that allows cartoon character muscles. If what you say about simply allowing you to work out in a way to hit potential faster were true then there would never be a need to shoot anything other than testosterone. As it stands you can get silly results with nothing more than T and Growth, but you still won't ever compete with a guy shooting top of the line designer steroids. He will develop muscles that never would develop without roids, and he will develop other muscles in ways that they wouldn't without the juice. I can't work my calves in a way to get them bigger...genetic limitations and all, but one cylcle and I bet I'd add an inch to them.....an inch I haven't been able to add in 15 years of doing it clean.

twoseven
05-10-2010, 03:56 PM
One last point where I disagree with you. Steroids DO allow you to achieve a higher result without working nearly as hard. do you think someone willing to pay for roids, take on the physical risks involved, would not actually work as hard as possible in the gym? you may have a point as to just how little you can get away and still get growth, but i would doubt too many people that walk that path get by on as little as possible, that would be a waste of their time and money. when i get my natural gains it makes me want even more and the last thing i am thinking about is backing off even an inch. like a shark i smell blood in the water and get after it even harder when i suspect my body is ready for it. a friend of mine is juicing right now, has put on about 20 lbs in the last month, he is kicking up his workouts well beyond what he had been doing because his body is letting him, not getting by on the same old same old.

twoseven
05-10-2010, 04:12 PM
concerning body types..whether a body is ectomorph, endomorph, or mesomorph, steroids will help them all. longer arms and legs have more potential for ultimate gain that more compact bodies because they have more space to hold mass. shorter levers build faster simply because of physics, but cannot hold the same amount of mass as a longer frame. this is one reason why franco columbo never had a chance in hell at the O versus arnold who towered over him. i also will not say that one single body type is so much more agreable to steroids than another that i would judge who may or may not use them just by looking at their height. as far as i know, if you want to get on them you will, regardless of your body type. the only way to tell beyond drug tests will be your classic signs on the exterior: the acne, shrunken balls, oily skin, hair loss, increased aggresion, depression and mood swings, that sexy gyno we've been seeing in this string, etc.

as far as getting into muscle seperation, i'll take a pass on that one. my knowledge does not drift far enough into competitive bodybuilding and the subtleties involved and i won't pretend that it's an area i can speak in confidence about.

but if by some chance you are referring to 'defitniton' when you say separation that has to do simply with bodyfat percentage. anyone, no matter what their size and frame, if they achieve a low enogh BF% is going to look incredible, steroids or not. steroid users will achieve much greater muscle mass while maintaining incredibly low BF% than your non user. the steroids will protect against muscle catabolism during dieting and potential overtraining. i said this same thing a few posts ago.

pbmax
05-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Barry Bonds muscles just over his ears that caused the cap size explosion
What is this muscle called? How do you exercise it? Did he hang tiny weights off his lip and then open and close his mouth repeatedly?

:lol:

twoseven
05-10-2010, 04:21 PM
lastly, my shout out to JH was simply asking for an explanation as to what actual enhancers he might be on if he is not getting gains from steroids, because i really don't know of any that would help you that are not, and i did mean all forms of steroid, growth hormone, etc as it is my opinion that they are typically all thrown together. beyond those, what else is there? there is not enough education out there right now. too many people can look at a natural body that has been worked to great levels and cry foul or suggest something fishy is going on. possibly because they have not been around people that have done it or maybe just haven't spent enough time in a gym? i know too many ripped up and massive frames that have never even sniffed an illegal substance to get by to let those comments go without saying something to the contrary. i just am hoping that as time goes by more people will understand that it is not impossible to put together a scary package of massive and ripped up physique without using steroids or other drugs. it does happen, they're not all on drugs.

twoseven
05-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Barry Bonds muscles just over his ears that caused the cap size explosion
What is this muscle called? How do you exercise it? Did he hang tiny weights off his lip and then open and close his mouth repeatedly?

:lol:i think it's called the 'hatred for mark mcgwire' muscle. when he saw mark in 98' he got incredibly jealous and pissed and that sucker started swelling even before he started taking his vitamins.

packers11
05-10-2010, 05:25 PM
www.rotoworld.com

The Associated Press announced Monday that it will conduct a re-vote for the 2009 Defensive Player of the Year award, citing previous winner Brian Cushing's violation of the NFL's policy on PEDs.

Cushing is eligible in the re-vote, but he's not likely to win. His All-Pro status is also in danger of being stripped, as the AP will re-vote for one of its outside linebacker positions. Though Jairus Byrd finished second in Defensive ROY voting in the winter, we're betting third-place finisher Clay Matthews would edge him out considering Green Bay's finish to the season. Brian Orakpo, who had 11 sacks to Matthews' 10, may also be a serious contender.

retailguy
05-10-2010, 05:28 PM
lastly, my shout out to JH was simply asking for an explanation as to what actual enhancers he might be on if he is not getting gains from steroids, because i really don't know of any that would help you that are not, and i did mean all forms of steroid, growth hormone, etc as it is my opinion that they are typically all thrown together. beyond those, what else is there? there is not enough education out there right now. too many people can look at a natural body that has been worked to great levels and cry foul or suggest something fishy is going on. possibly because they have not been around people that have done it or maybe just haven't spent enough time in a gym? i know too many ripped up and massive frames that have never even sniffed an illegal substance to get by to let those comments go without saying something to the contrary. i just am hoping that as time goes by more people will understand that it is not impossible to put together a scary package of massive and ripped up physique without using steroids or other drugs. it does happen, they're not all on drugs.

Thanks for your willingness to share, I learned a lot reading this thread. I have no idea how any of this stuff works, and have never seen much less tried PE's. At least I've got a vague idea now.

twoseven
05-10-2010, 05:41 PM
http://www.musclehack.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/natural-bodybuilder-jeff-willet.jpg

believe it or not, Jeff Willet is natural

http://naturalbodybuildingradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/jim-cordova-panorama.jpg

so is Jim Cordova

http://www.natural-muscle-mass.com/images/mike-ashley.jpg

so is Mike Ashley

http://www.tomvenuto.com/articles/images/ekow-wilmot.jpg

so is Tom Venuto

http://www.ifbb.com/halloffame/2004/LeeLabrada2.jpg

so is Lee Labrada

twoseven
05-10-2010, 06:22 PM
http://davecunning.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/mark_mcgwire_l.jpg

got roids?

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Sports/images/alex-rodriguez-late-show-biff-henderson.jpg

WTF roids

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/david-kaplan-chicago-sports/sp_all_.jpg

double roids

http://culture-voice.com/Portals/0/jose-canseco-an-mma-star.jpg

master of roids

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/clemens%20123008.jpg

his and her roids

http://usss.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/bonds2.jpg

innocent :lol:

Lurker64
05-11-2010, 01:47 PM
So now that it's come to light that the substance Cushing tested positive for was Human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG), can anybody who knows about this stuff (27?) comment on whether there's any reason for a clean athlete to be taking this?

twoseven
05-11-2010, 04:00 PM
So now that it's come to light that the substance Cushing tested positive for was Human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG), can anybody who knows about this stuff (27?) comment on whether there's any reason for a clean athlete to be taking this?i am far from even a novice when it comes to the ins and outs of all of the specific drugs (and it's list that seems to grow everyday) that people will use to get ahead. this isn't my world and i won't pretend it is. i know what an anabolic steroid can do for you, know about a few others on some lists that are not steroids, but don't spend much time learning more than that. so here's what i found on another site:

'In the world of performance enhancing drugs, hCG is increasingly used in combination with various anabolic androgenic steroid (AAS) cycles. As a result, hCG is included in some sports' illegal drug lists.

When AAS are put into a male body, the body's natural negative-feedback loops cause the body to shut down its own production of testosterone via shutdown of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis (HPGA). This causes testicular atrophy, among other things. hCG is commonly used during and after steroid cycles to maintain and restore testicular size as well as normal testosterone production.'

red
05-11-2010, 04:18 PM
this new info thats come out today really makes a lot of sense after the whole man boob discussion, doesn't it?

so let me see if i got this straight?

in a nut shell

a guy takes an roids to get ahead. the roids cause his body to stop making testosterone leading to his nuts shrinking and the gyno problem that leads to the man boobs. when the guy is then done with the roid cycle (i guess you use these in cycles, not all the time?), so once he's done with the roids he uses this HCG to kick start the the testosterone again. which would lead to the nuts getting bigger and the gyno boobs going away?

is that kind of the ballpark?

pft also mentioned that doctors are saying that yes, this does occur naturally in the body, but not in level that would be detected in a healthy person. they then mention that the fact that he didn't fail another test after the first proves that the HCG at that level is not naturally in his body, he had to put it there.

Lurker64
05-11-2010, 06:14 PM
The timeline that PFT lines up with

Cushing injures his knee in August
Cushing takes his mandatory scheduled drug test, passes
Knee isn't healing as fast as Cushing wants it to.
Cushing takes 'roids to speed up the recovery processs.
Cushing takes hCG coming off the 'roid cycle.
Cushing gets nailed by a random drug test in September.

That seems to be pretty plausible.

pbmax
05-11-2010, 08:28 PM
My sources (well, actually one guy) says that the somewhat informed speculation on Sosa was that he was originally a creatine guy. I am not trying to suggest that makes him different that anyone else, nor am I making the case that he has never done anything else.

But this source, who knows creatine use through a certain NCAA Div 1 football program says that this is the accepted guess about what Sammy was using as he got bigger initially. Something about his physical appearance made them think this. Although, now that he has gone pale, that guess may have changed.

Track guys used to guess who was using by looking for physical symptoms. Ben Johnson's yellowed eyes made other sprinters suspicious in Seoul.

twoseven
05-12-2010, 05:01 AM
My sources (well, actually one guy) says that the somewhat informed speculation on Sosa was that he was originally a creatine guy. I am not trying to suggest that makes him different that anyone else, nor am I making the case that he has never done anything else.

But this source, who knows creatine use through a certain NCAA Div 1 football program says that this is the accepted guess about what Sammy was using as he got bigger initially. Something about his physical appearance made them think this. Although, now that he has gone pale, that guess may have changed.

Track guys used to guess who was using by looking for physical symptoms. Ben Johnson's yellowed eyes made other sprinters suspicious in Seoul.creatine may have wet sosa's appetitie for something more to keep his strength and weight gains rising. but there's no way creatine by itself took him to where he ended up. everyone's body makes and uses creatine. it comes most often from your meat protein sources if not ingested in powder or pill form. your highest energy output system, ATP-PC, the explosive, short burst energy that will only last for a handful of seconds before crapping out, uses that creatine to reharge this cycle. ATP (adenosine triphosphate) is broken down for this explosive energy. what is left over is ADP (adenosine diphosphate). ADP during your immediate rest period after the work combines with PC (phosphocreatine) to reform ATP and get you ready for that next burst. full recharge cycle time for this is about 6 minutes of rest. this is everyone's body and how it operates everyday, no matter if you are an athlete or a mathlete.

additional levels of creatine added to what you already have will allow for extra energy during these bouts of high intensity. you will not necessarily be able to last longer but your power output will increase in this same time. however, and anyone that has used creatine knows this, this output will translate into no more than a few extra reps with that same weight you were already doing. these extra reps may mean a ten pound gain on top of your current strength numbers almost immediately. but that is where it ends. this extra boost in the first 2-3 weeks of use is the only one you'll get and you are right back to square one (now that you are cycling extra creatine) with this little strength increase being back to normal as you plod along looking for a little more each day. you do NOT get any more instant jumps like this. worse yet, reducing these additional doses of creatine LOWERS your power output backwards to your normal levels. becuase of this creatine is actually considered fairly ineffective for those outside of competitive powerlifting (where total weight lifted matters) for someone to actually get a big help from it. prolonged use of too much creatine can strain the kidneys, also makes you retain a lot of water. creatine is the gift that does not keep on giving.

physical signs that you are taking extra creatine? pretty hard to see any, other than some potential water weight gain that can make you look a little bit bulkier, but this is as instantaneous as those strength gains and does not continue to elevate. and in the end, if you start eating a lot more meat sources you will get this additonal creatine anyway. only other noticeable signs are that your wallet is smaller than it used to be while you aren't actually much bigger.

HMB on the other hand (hydroxymethylbutyrate) is the legal gift that keeps on giving. gives a creatine type boost in the first couple weeks and continues to push you a little ahead of the pace as week go by. getting off HMB does NOT have you losing anything by way of gains. i wouldn't be surprised of some jackass puts it on a banned list one day, it certainly enhances strength and size performance beyond normal levels, but without any dangerous side effects.

twoseven
05-12-2010, 05:26 AM
http://lesterslegends.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Sammy-Sosa-White-Sox.jpg

Sosa in 1990
'Sosa was traded to the White Sox on July 29, 1989, in a deal that brought Harold Baines to Texas. Sosa was unimpressive in parts of three seasons on the South Side, hitting only 28 home runs, before getting dealt the Cubs for George Bell.'

he totalled 33 hrs from 90-92' in 336 games.

1993 alone had him hitting 33 hrs in 159 games.

the following 12 (including 93') years had him hitting almost 550 hrs at a staggering near 46 hr per year average.

numbers are pretty damning towards some artifical help as his batting average in his first 6 seasons was .244, hitting 41 hrs in 452 games. 93' it was only .261, hitting 33 hrs in 159 games.

twoseven
05-12-2010, 06:02 AM
(wiki)

HMB
'beta-Hydroxy beta-methylbutyric acid
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from HMB)

β-Hydroxy β-methylbutyric acid (HMB), or β-hydroxy β-methylbutyrate, is a metabolite of the essential amino acid leucine and is synthesized in the human body. It plays a part in protein synthesis and was discovered by Dr. Steven L. Nissen at Iowa State University. It has been used in scientific studies to purportedly increase muscle mass and decrease muscle breakdown. However, Nissen held the original patent on the metabolite as a nutritional supplement. It was discovered in pigs and small quantities can also be found in grapefruit, alfalfa, and catfish. As a supplement it is usually sold as a calcium salt.[2]

Research published in the Journal of Applied Physiology has shown that HMB may have an effect on increasing muscle weight and strength.[3] A review in Nutrition & Metabolism provides an in depth and objective analysis of HMB research. [4] The same study lists as HMBs proposed mechanisms of action the following:

Increased sarcolemmal integrity via conversion to HMG-CoA
Enhanced protein synthesis via the mTOR pathway
Depression of protein degradation through inhibition of the ubiquitin pathway
Three grams of HMB per day may help muscles combat protein breakdown, assist in muscle repair and support increased endurance. Studies suggest its benefits may be greater for the untrained. Also, well-controlled scientific studies have found increases in muscle mass and decreases in body fat in 70 year old men. It has helped patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in hospital intensive care units, muscle wasting associated with HIV or AIDS and with cancer, and trauma victims with severe injuries.[citation needed]

The human body produces about 0.2-0.4 grams per day. Standard doses in research studies have been 1.5 to 3.0 grams per day, usually divided into two doses.'

As i said, HMB works very well. everyone i have come into contact with that has tried it has gotten at the minimum good, and for some, incredible strength gains in the first 2-3 weeks. while production tapers after this, it still stays ahead of their normal, non-use performance. getting off HMB has yet to show in these same people i know ANY signs of loss or regression to strength. getting back on it has shown a smaller than the initial, but still noticeable boost of this same strength. it appears the most effective non-steroid i have yet to come across. biggest downfall is that it is expensive to produce, so it can be too expensive for some people to take at levels to show this improvement. we're talking no less than about $2.30 per for each lifting day you would use it, at the minimum. the levels i am referring to equate to 2 grams of HMB, only taken on a lifting day, one hour before lifting with about 20 oz of water.

pbmax
05-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Cushing today denied taking ANYTHING on the banned list.

He has basically said the testing process failed and that he must produce this stuff naturally. He also said he spent the year worrying he had a tumor (which under some circumstances promotes the production of HCG). Of course, he failed to detail the examinations he underwent to alleviate his concern over cancer. Or the date he was found to be free of tumors.

I doubt there is much the NFL can do given the confidentiality constraints of the testing. But I will not be unhappy if he is caught with his hand in the cookie jar again.

Pugger
05-13-2010, 05:56 PM
If Cushing got caught cheating why was he still eligible to win the award on this second go-around?? To me this whole re-vote is a joke if the guy who cheated was not removed from consideration. :no:

pbmax
05-13-2010, 06:44 PM
If Cushing got caught cheating why was he still eligible to win the award on this second go-around?? To me this whole re-vote is a joke if the guy who cheated was not removed from consideration. :no:
It was poorly thought out and ended up having both the AP staff who administer the thing and the writers themselves looking for the other make a statement.

The writers didn't want to re-vote on limited notice (2 days) or thought he should be ineligible. The AP wanted to writers to determine whether this would be disqualifying or not. He ended up winning because many writers voted the same as a protest of the re-vote. One more example that once you say "we need to do something", you usually end up doing something dumb.

twoseven
05-13-2010, 07:04 PM
It was poorly thought out and ended up having both the AP staff who administer the thing and the writers themselves looking for the other make a statement.

The writers didn't want to re-vote on limited notice (2 days) or thought he should be ineligible. The AP wanted to writers to determine whether this would be disqualifying or not. He ended up winning because many writers voted the same as a protest of the re-vote. One more example that once you say "we need to do something", you usually end up doing something dumb.those writers are pompous idiots. one of them actually changed a vote from Byrd to Cushing just to show that he didn't like the process. these self-righteous key bangers live to crucify athletes that step out of line and break the rules. so what was this protest crap? the kid is now spinning some bullshit story about thinking a tumor caused his levels to be off, because they're the only other thing aside from an injection that could be the culprit. so he had a tumor,a tumor he never decided to have treatment for as he was playing football all year long. pathetic. another role model.

red
05-13-2010, 07:09 PM
IMO, those ap voters need to be removed from their duties

what a crock

sorry guys but the NFL is turning into one giant joke

twoseven
05-13-2010, 07:17 PM
want a good laugh, follow the link. get your waders on.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5186293

Cleft Crusty
05-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Don't blame Crusty! On the re-vote, I selected Darcel McBath.

pbmax
05-13-2010, 08:18 PM

Someone, the first week of camp when he hits the podium again, needs to ask two questions:

1. Did you have any tumors discovered?

2. Did the tests you said you were going to undergo reveal the source of the HCG?

hoosier
05-13-2010, 08:59 PM

Someone, the first week of camp when he hits the podium again, needs to ask two questions:

2. Did the tests you said you were going to undergo reveal the source of the HCG?

As far as I can tell "naturally occurring" (non-ingested) HcG is only associated with pregnancy and testicular cancer. Shouldn't have been too hard to rule the first potential cause out, and a quick self-examination would probably have told him whether he had anything to worry about on the second count. Unless, of course, his 'nads were already hard to locate.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Our very own James Jones has weighed in:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/13/james-jones-sounds-off-on-brian-cushing/

Lurker64
05-13-2010, 09:51 PM

And Florio's on it: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/13/cushings-tumor-excuse-gets-exposed/

Joemailman
05-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Dis this occur naturally?

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/therundown/steroids.jpg

Pugger
05-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Maybe the NFL should award these post season individual awards like MLB does instead of having media folks who have their own personal agendas.

bobblehead
05-14-2010, 12:23 AM
this new info thats come out today really makes a lot of sense after the whole man boob discussion, doesn't it?

so let me see if i got this straight?

in a nut shell

a guy takes an roids to get ahead. the roids cause his body to stop making testosterone leading to his nuts shrinking and the gyno problem that leads to the man boobs. when the guy is then done with the roid cycle (i guess you use these in cycles, not all the time?), so once he's done with the roids he uses this HCG to kick start the the testosterone again. which would lead to the nuts getting bigger and the gyno boobs going away?

is that kind of the ballpark?

pft also mentioned that doctors are saying that yes, this does occur naturally in the body, but not in level that would be detected in a healthy person. they then mention that the fact that he didn't fail another test after the first proves that the HCG at that level is not naturally in his body, he had to put it there.

The gyno problem is actually caused because such an overload of testosterone (roids) forces the body to convert to estrogen which causes bitch tits or man boobs. It also causes a converstion to DHT which causes hairloss if you are already susceptible to hair loss. The nuts shrinking is because your body has so much unnatural T using the receptors that it shuts down production.

HCG is a female pregnancy hormone. It triggers normal testosterone production in men to get the body jump started again after a cycle (and a "normal" cycle is 9 weeks). Its also used for weight loss, but i'm not sure how it works. People seem to be able to live on 500 calories a day while on it and not get hungry.

bobblehead
05-14-2010, 12:26 AM

Roids won't help a knee (or any joint) heal, but they will allow quick recovery off muscle after it heals on its own or surgery. HgH on the other hand is a miracle for joints....even "heals" arthritis.....hmmmmm, why won't the FDA approve HgH for people suffering serious arthritis problems?

twoseven
05-14-2010, 04:22 AM
wow. this kid fell out of the stupid tree and hitting every f-ing branch on the way down, i think.

MJZiggy
05-14-2010, 06:20 AM
Dis this occur naturally?

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/therundown/steroids.jpg

That is ridiculously unattractive...

pbmax
05-14-2010, 07:16 AM

Roids won't help a knee (or any joint) heal, but they will allow quick recovery off muscle after it heals on its own or surgery. HgH on the other hand is a miracle for joints....even "heals" arthritis.....hmmmmm, why won't the FDA approve HgH for people suffering serious arthritis problems?
They do use it, although I can't say they do for arthritis. But you need to have a prescription. And not be 23.

It is a problem that anti-aging clinics for seniors that are known to use HGH as part of the treatment, are also known as suppliers of HGH to athletes.

pbmax
05-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Cushing's agent said today that he underwent a battery of tests after the positive result. The implication being that Cushing was so certain he had not taken HCG that he feared he had tumors.

PFT has a source that says those tests are routinely ordered by the NFL in cases of HCG to rule out other possible sources. Outside of introduction of the chemical to the body, there are two ways it could be found: produced from a placenta or from a tumor.

I am surprised Cushing has not claimed to have been pregnant yet. And then lost it due to the intense media scrutiny.

red
05-14-2010, 06:28 PM
cushing is coming off as not just a douchebag but a giant douchebag

him passing numerous tests after failing the one and the nfl proving that he doesn't have cancer proves that his body doesn't produce it, he had to put it there

twoseven
05-15-2010, 06:34 AM

him passing numerous tests after failing the one and the nfl proving that he doesn't have cancer proves that his body doesn't produce it, he had to put it thereyou're out of line, Red. this poor kid got himself pregnant and then got testicular cancer, suffered through bitch tits and shrunken balls all while putting together a ROY season on a half assed team that could have seen the kid dead of cancer at any given moment. give him a break, will ya. :)

Fritz
05-15-2010, 07:43 AM
Don't forget that he's probably suffering from depression after losing his baby.

bobblehead
05-15-2010, 07:58 AM

They do use it, although I can't say they do for arthritis. But you need to have a prescription. And not be 23.

It is a problem that anti-aging clinics for seniors that are known to use HGH as part of the treatment, are also known as suppliers of HGH to athletes.

Find me a doctor that is NOT an anti aging doctor (In other words that works for HMO's) that would prescribe HgH. I haven't found one yet that would prescribe it to help me heal after my shoulder scope....and I'm far from 23. The gov't has basically cracked down on HgH like nothing I have ever seen.

The track record and history on HgH is basically that of a HIGHLY beneficial drug for anyone over the age of 35 with virtually no side effects if taken even remotely in moderation, yet politicians have made it nearly impossible to get.....still I can walk into any golds gym or do an internet search and get steroids (or Loratab, or any number of dangerous drugs).

twoseven
05-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Don't forget that he's probably suffering from depression after losing his baby.man, i forgot all about the post pardum depression :lol:

red
05-15-2010, 12:01 PM

him passing numerous tests after failing the one and the nfl proving that he doesn't have cancer proves that his body doesn't produce it, he had to put it thereyou're out of line, Red. this poor kid got himself pregnant and then got testicular cancer, suffered through bitch tits and shrunken balls all while putting together a ROY season on a half assed team that could have seen the kid dead of cancer at any given moment. give him a break, will ya. :)

lol

great points

poor guy

pbmax
05-15-2010, 12:41 PM

Find me a doctor that is NOT an anti aging doctor (In other words that works for HMO's) that would prescribe HgH. I haven't found one yet that would prescribe it to help me heal after my shoulder scope....and I'm far from 23. The gov't has basically cracked down on HgH like nothing I have ever seen.

The track record and history on HgH is basically that of a HIGHLY beneficial drug for anyone over the age of 35 with virtually no side effects if taken even remotely in moderation, yet politicians have made it nearly impossible to get.....still I can walk into any golds gym or do an internet search and get steroids (or Loratab, or any number of dangerous drugs).
Bobble, the restrictions on HGH are no different that any other controlled, therapeutic substance. I don't think the government is restricting your ability to have it prescribed. The Doctors are refusing and its possible they are motivated in part by general hysteria over PEDs. But its more likely they are motivated by the normal clinical indicators that call for HGH.

For instance, I know of two cases of people who have been prescribed HGH, but neither was for recovery from an injury or surgery. In each case it was for a growth deficiency.

What you need to do is get yourself into a clinical trial. :lol: