PDA

View Full Version : Nice Quarless Article

RashanGary
05-07-2010, 10:46 PM
http://gnb.scout.com/2/968134.html

First, an apology to Andrew Quarless.

The NFL’s official biography for the Penn State tight end spent plenty of verbiage rehashing Quarless’ “off-field issues.”

There was underage drinking. And driving under the influence. And marijuana found in his apartment. All of it almost cost Quarless his scholarship.

In this breaking-news society, Ted Thompson’s decision to use a fifth-round pick on Quarless made for an easy story line. And the NFL helped make it easy, with about a full page of his six-page biography including specifics from his indiscretions. After years of talk about “Packer People,” what on earth were the Packers thinking by drafting this guy?

During a conference call shortly after the pick was made and at the Packers’ rookie orientation camp a week later, reporter after reporter asked Quarless again and again about all of those troubles.

Nobody, apparently, bothered to talk to longtime Penn State tight ends coach Bill Kenney. So, when Kenney returned my phone call while on a recruiting trip, his eagerness to tell the “rest of the story,” as the late Paul Harvey might have said, was evident with his opening phrase.

“I’d walk on hot coals for Andrew.”

Those first impressions are so hard to look beyond, I began explaining, when Kenney interjected.

“Bill, did you go to college? Did you drink in college?”

Point taken.

Here’s the story that nobody else on the Packers beat or none of the TV-hair draft gurus will bother to tell you.

Quarless was starting at Penn State before his 18th birthday. As he told reporters at the Packers’ rookie camp, he was a victim of his own immaturity and, in his words, “big-headedness.” In retrospect, Kenney said he wishes he could have redshirted Quarless, but he was just too talented, as evidenced by his 21 catches for 288 yards with eight starts.

During the offseason following his freshman season, Quarless was arrested for underage drinking. In March 2008, the offseason following his sophomore football season, Quarless had been drinking and was driving a teammate home. Quarless was pulled over and arrested for driving under the influence. According to Kenney, Quarless’ blood-alcohol content was 0.04 — or half the legal limit. But underage drinking is underage drinking in the eyes of the law.

With Paterno’s program under fire at the time, Quarless was suspended for what Kenney called a “significant period.” Early in the 2008 season, with Quarless embarking on his junior season, he was suspended for a game after marijuana was found in the apartment he shared with a few teammates. The marijuana did not belong to Quarless, though, and he said he tested negative the next day.

Kenney said the incidents hurt Quarless “deeply” because of how it impacted the team and how it put himself and his family in a bad light. It’s not that Quarless needed to turn his life around. He just needed to be smarter.

Andrew Quarless
Penn State Athletics
“He and I, we had a long conversation and he made a conscious effort to give up alcohol, and he’s followed through on that,” Kenney said. “It’s not because he’s had any kind of a drinking issue. He just felt that alcohol was leading him down a path that he didn’t want to go on because of the two scrapes that he had. But he’s a great kid. In his last two years at Penn State, he has not touched a drop of alcohol. He’s a four-year player and he’s one of the best tight ends I’ve ever had at Penn State. I’ve been here for 23 years. Just an outstanding young man in every way, shape and form.

“I’ve got two sons and if they grow up like him, I’ll be a happy man.”

Quarless caught just 11 passes with just one start as a junior, in part because of the suspensions and in part because Penn State focused the offense on wide receivers Derrick Williams, Deon Butler and Jordan Norwood. Williams (Detroit) and Butler (Seattle) were third-round picks while Norwood caught on with Philadelphia.

With those three in the NFL and Quarless playing for his football life as a senior, the 6-foot-4 tight end enjoyed a breakout season. Beating out Mickey Shuler Jr., who wound up going in the seventh round to MInnesota, Quarless’ 41 receptions set a school record for tight ends, and his 87 career receptions broke the school record for tight ends previously held by Penn State icon Ted Kwalick.

“Last year, we relied upon Andrew to really be a real bellcow for our offense and he just did a phenomenal job,” Kenney said.

As one of the rare tight ends in this era of college football who can both block and catch, Quarless’ big senior year should have had him rising up draft boards. Instead, those negatives lingered, and the media’s continued harping on old news during the draft process bothered Kenney.

“In my mind, people had not done their homework,” he said. “You can say what you will, but the Green Bay Packers did their homework. The Green Bay Packers did an outstanding job of investigating Andrew and really vetting him and getting a very good feel for who he was and where his personality and character was. I don’t think as far as the media and the Kipers and the McShays and all those kind of people, they have no idea what he was about.

“They were making a judgment about a young man who was 17, 18 years old as opposed to where he is today. That’s the nature of college. The nature of college is to learn from your experience and improve yourself, not only academically but socially and from a maturation standpoint. I’m very, very proud of what Andrew did here at Penn State and the level of growth that he exhibited over the course of his career was tremendous. To repeat old history is, in my estimation, it does a disservice to the growth that a young man goes through.”

On the field, Packers director of college scouting John Dorsey called Quarless “very gifted,” an assessment to which Kenney would agree. He’s tall (6-foot-4 3/8) and athletic (4.57 40), giving the team a potentially deadly pass-catching duo with Jermichael Finley. And coming from an old-school Big Ten offense, Quarless isn’t afraid to get his shirt dirty in the run game.

“What I’m most proud about as far as a player goes is he takes to the physical characteristics of tight end as well as the finesse part of the position,” Kenney said. “He’s not unlike any young man — he loves to go out and catch the ball. If you threw him the ball 40 times, he’d be happy. But he also gets very, very excited about taking on a defensive end and taking on a Sam linebacker and really being a physical, physical player. He demonstrated that over the course of his career in the Big Ten Conference. I’ve had Kyle Brady and Troy Drayton and Tony Stewart and John Gilmore, and he’s really at the top of the heap.”

RashanGary
05-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Finley has turned out to be a hell of a pass catcher. Great ability to track the ball, great ability to go up for the ball, great hands, underrated blocker. He's a very skilled football player.

Quarless, who knows if he has even close to that kind of skill. But just talent, Quarless is there. He had a better 40, short shuttle, 3-cone and vert than Finley. Just looking at physical talent, there is no limit to what Quarless can accomplish. Let's see if he has skill.

I'm very intrigued by this guy. It wouldn't shock me if he turned into a probowl player.

Tony Oday
05-07-2010, 11:07 PM
IF this kid is as good as we hope can you imagine the coverage nightmares for other teams?! JF and Quarless with Jennings and Driver as the wideouts...how do you cover that? Cover 2 will NOT work against that at all and if Quarless can BLOCK?! I would wake up in a cold sweat as an opposing LB...

RashanGary
05-07-2010, 11:12 PM
If he can catch, him and Finley would make a pretty cool duo in the redzone too. Not very many teams have two big athletic TE's with great hands and the ability to go up and get it. . .

Let's hope!!

Tony Oday
05-07-2010, 11:16 PM
lol through Hayvner in there in a Jumbo formation...do you pound it down their throat or just lob it over them? Ah nice to have options!

Lurker64
05-07-2010, 11:20 PM
lol through Hayvner in there in a Jumbo formation...do you pound it down their throat or just lob it over them? Ah nice to have options!

If they somehow keep four tight ends, I want to see at least one set where they're all on the field at the same time.

vince
05-08-2010, 05:17 AM
Thanks for posting that JH. That's quite an endorsement from his former coach. Let's hope he's really matured and hasn't just gotten better at covering his indiscretions up. The fact taht he passed a drug test immediately when the pot was found in his apartment is reassuring.

It's great to know that he likes to mix it up in the run game as well.

Bretsky
05-08-2010, 11:12 AM
This is my kind of guy to give a shot to; high upside guy with concerns and you just figure he'll turn out ok. It was interesting the McGinn noted several teams took him off their draft boards because they just didn't think he was a good person. Time will tell but the talent is there

rbaloha1
05-08-2010, 12:17 PM
The next Keith Jackson. Talented player. MM must be salivating thinking of the various formations with multiple te sets.

Patler
05-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Some articles identify him as a very good blocker, which this one alluded to. Finley has gotten better, but is still mostly just "OK", if that. If Quarless is a noticeably better blocker, how soon before Quarless starts taking 1st and 2nd down snaps away from Finley, and how soon before Finley complains about it?

RashanGary
05-08-2010, 01:01 PM
This guy has a long way to go before I start talking about him taking snaps away from Finley.

Finley is a natural hands catcher. He has maybe the best hands on the team. Quarless, just in the clips I've seen, is a bit of a body catcher. As long as he catches it, I don't care, but for him to be the player Finley was in the 2nd half of last year. . . I doubt it. I'm really hopeful. It's not impossible, just that Finley was one of the most productive, dangerous pass catchers in the NFL after he got healthy. Hard to predict any rookie will be that good.

Tarlam!
05-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Patler stirring the pot again! :satan:

They are both PACKER PEOPLE! They'll never complain! :lol:

Patler
05-08-2010, 02:19 PM
This guy has a long way to go before I start talking about him taking snaps away from Finley.

Finley is a natural hands catcher. He has maybe the best hands on the team. Quarless, just in the clips I've seen, is a bit of a body catcher. As long as he catches it, I don't care, but for him to be the player Finley was in the 2nd half of last year. . . I doubt it. I'm really hopeful. It's not impossible, just that Finley was one of the most productive, dangerous pass catchers in the NFL after he got healthy. Hard to predict any rookie will be that good.

I'm not talking about catching, I'll concede that Finley looks like he will be the better receiver. But, if Quarless becomes a better than average receiver, and is a significantly better blocker than Finley, he may be the guy they want on the field on 1st down. The Packers really want their TEs to be both, receivers and blockers on early snaps. That's why Lee held on to the starting position as long as he did. When the discrepancy as receivers outweighed the differences in blocking ability, Finley became the starter.

Quarless looks like he COULD make a competition out of it again. I'm not predicting anything, the rookie has a lot to prove. But next year (2011) there could be a competition for "starting" if Quarless provides significantly better blocking even if he is a notch below Finley as a receiver.

Maybe Finley will make it all moot, by picking his blocking up another couple notches.

RashanGary
05-08-2010, 03:08 PM
I suppose it's possible. I've paid close attention to Finley while he's been here. I watch him block and I don't think he's that bad. As he matures, there's nothing about his body that's going to suggest he can't block. Watching him on the field (and the times I have at practice). . . He blocks like he wants to, like it matters to him.

Just a comparison of a couple Packers, both guys that I like on offense. . .

I watch James Jones half ass it through ST's drills. Other guys like Nelson, Tramon and the desperate to latch on guys are just giving their hearts to it. Jones, looking at body language, doesn't care. Then when he's playing receiver, it's like he's a different guy.

I watched Finley and the TE's in blocking drills. I specifically remember a play where Finley just pancaked a LB opponent. It was pretty awesome. Then last year, in a game, he had a couple of the same thing. He blocks like he wants to, like it matters to him in practice and in games. MM talks about Finley loving football, loving practice and there is an impression here, even before MM said that, that Finley is a tough guy who loves football.

I think there is a chance Finley opens his yap and says something stupid again. I think there is a chance he does something stupid off the field. I also think there is a good chance that he works hard and for a span of Finley's prime, he's the single greatest all around TE in the game. I think he wants it, in all parts of his game, that bad. It's very normal for TE's to come out of college underdeveloped, with limits on how much they can practice and have bad functional strength as well as technique. Nothing about Finley's body or work ethic make me think he won't be a really good blocking TE.

RashanGary
05-08-2010, 03:16 PM
A couple more observations about Finley. . .

When he came out of college, he had that great highlight reel. I don't know if I said it here or just thought it, but I remember thinking he looked great and played tough. I hoped he didn't carry that fearlessness to the NFL because it looked like he could get hurt, jsut the way he went after it, fighting for yards.

There is nothing wrong with Finley's football attitude or toughness. I really don't think he's the liability you think he is as a blocker.

He was a 21 year old either redshirt sophmore or true junior coming out of Texas. Last year, he was 22. I'm sure Lee did hang on partly because of his blocking consistency and partly because of his receiving consistency too (route running, knowing the plays, etc. . .) not to mention physical maturity. Finley, going into this year, is still going to be younger than some rookies. I really think you're misreading something about Finley because he didn't take the job immediately.

CaliforniaCheez
05-08-2010, 03:36 PM
So who is more likely to be cut, Lee or Havner?

Havner has glue hands. Lee has a higher drop %.

Havner gets a lot of special teams tackles.

Havner can be an emergency Linebacker.

Lee is older.

Lee was #2 and Havner #3.

Lee has the larger contract.

This will be an interesting competition for a roster spot.

Patler
05-08-2010, 04:52 PM

Lee is older.

If Quarless is #2, Lee is gone. No way he stays as the 3rd TE. However, If Quarless isn't ready to be #2, then Havner is gone.

I don't look at it as a competition between Lee & Havener, I look at it as a competition between Quarless and Lee for #2. The rest takes care of itself.

Bretsky
05-08-2010, 06:31 PM
A couple more observations about Finley. . .

When he came out of college, he had that great highlight reel. I don't know if I said it here or just thought it, but I remember thinking he looked great and played tough. I hoped he didn't carry that fearlessness to the NFL because it looked like he could get hurt, jsut the way he went after it, fighting for yards.

There is nothing wrong with Finley's football attitude or toughness. I really don't think he's the liability you think he is as a blocker.

He was a 21 year old either redshirt sophmore or true junior coming out of Texas. Last year, he was 22. I'm sure Lee did hang on partly because of his blocking consistency and partly because of his receiving consistency too (route running, knowing the plays, etc. . .) not to mention physical maturity. Finley, going into this year, is still going to be younger than some rookies. I really think you're misreading something about Finley because he didn't take the job immediately.

We had posted some awesome highlight reels on both Marcellus Bennet and Jermichael Finley in PR before the draft

Lurker64
05-08-2010, 11:05 PM
I think Finley is being underrated as a blocker by some people in this thread. Sure, he's not going to be mistaken for a third offensive tackle any time soon, but he gives great effort and is a spirited blocker. Most of what you'd want him to get better on is technique, and I'm pretty sure he can learn it. The TEs you worry about their blocking are just who don't even get in the way effectively, because they don't care to do anything other than catch the ball (looking at you, Greg Olsen). But Finley has the right attitude and enough pop to be a guy who isn't really a liability as a blocker for a TE.

If Quarless is better at in-line blocking, then that's great. But regardless, I expect Finley to be the guy who takes the first snap of the game at TE every game he's healthy.

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2010, 02:37 AM

Lee is older.

Since when does Havner have glue hands? The guy caught 7 balls last year and I remember him dropping at least 1. I don't get the love for Havner as a TE. Sure, he makes for a decent third TE but mainly because he plays on STs.

Scott Campbell
05-09-2010, 10:49 AM
I think I remember seeing a Chewy/Jackson highlight clip on YouTube from the 1997 season. It was ridiculous how easy those two made it look to move the chains. Had they stayed in their primes any longer I could see the NFL having to change the rules to protect shell shocked defensive backfields. I think Ted was here in GB for that, and maybe he's trying to recapture a little of that magic.

Fred's Slacks
05-09-2010, 09:08 PM
If this is all the Kid has gotten in trouble for, is anyone else supprised that some teams took him off their board? A couple underage's and they found pot he wasnt smoking in an appartment he shared with other college kids. If he really blew a .04 when he got the DUI that seems bogus. IIRC that sounds like he had a beer over a couple hour period and then drove home. Had he been of age, nothing would have happened. I'm I off base?

MJZiggy
05-09-2010, 10:16 PM
If this is all the Kid has gotten in trouble for, is anyone else supprised that some teams took him off their board? A couple underage's and they found pot he wasnt smoking in an appartment he shared with other college kids. If he really blew a .04 when he got the DUI that seems bogus. IIRC that sounds like he had a beer over a couple hour period and then drove home. Had he been of age, nothing would have happened. I'm I off base?

Guess it depends on how deep you want to bother digging into things and if they feel like he's being defensive instead of appropriately contrite when he tries to explain himself.

Fritz
05-10-2010, 07:08 AM
I think Lee's in a tough spot right now. If the rookie has the upside that's been spoken of and works hard in camp, and if Havner looks ready in pre-season, how can you keep Lee, even ifhe's more polished than Quarless?

Havner's value on ST and as an emergency linebacker is tremendous. Maybe he's the guy that allows MM to cut Kuhn or Hall. And even if Quarless looks rough and unpolished, you could get by with Havner as your #2 tight end as Quarless grows up. He won't last on the practice squad, that seems clear.

So unless the kid shows up and really screws it up, I think Lee's days are numbered. The team knows who he is, what he can and can't do.

Patler
05-10-2010, 07:36 AM
I think Lee's in a tough spot right now. If the rookie has the upside that's been spoken of and works hard in camp, and if Havner looks ready in pre-season, how can you keep Lee, even ifhe's more polished than Quarless?

Havner's value on ST and as an emergency linebacker is tremendous. Maybe he's the guy that allows MM to cut Kuhn or Hall. And even if Quarless looks rough and unpolished, you could get by with Havner as your #2 tight end as Quarless grows up. He won't last on the practice squad, that seems clear.

So unless the kid shows up and really screws it up, I think Lee's days are numbered. The team knows who he is, what he can and can't do.

I agree. Havner's value on the 45 man game day roster is very high. He provides backup at two positions that don't usually lend themselves to multi-position players, and he is a strong ST contributor. Perfect guy to be active on game day.

Lee will have value to someone, but trading him could be a problem because of his salary, unless a team needs him as a starter.

Fritz
05-10-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure how much value a mid-level tight end with a fairly large salary has. Maybe they could get a 6th or 7th? I don't know. But then again if people know he's getting cut, maybe they wait. I suspect that is more likely.