PDA

View Full Version : Guess the 53 man roster

3irty1
05-08-2010, 09:22 AM
QB: Aaron Rodgers, Matt Flynn (2)
RB: Ryan Grant, Brandon Jackson, James Starks (3)
FB: Quinn Johnson, Korey Hall (2)
WR: Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, Shawn Gore (5)
TE: JerMichael Finley, Donald Lee, Andrew Quarless (3)
LT: Chad Clifton, Bryan Bulaga (2)
LG: Daryn Colledge, TJ Lang (2)
C: Jason Spitz, Scott Wells (2)
RG: Josh Sitton, Marshall Newhouse (2)
RT: Mark Tauscher, Breno Giacomini (2)

Offense (25)

DE: Cullen Jenkins, Johnny Jolly, Justin Harrell, Mike Neal, Jarius Wynn (5)
NT: Ryan Pickett, BJ Raji (2)
OLB: CMIII, Brad Jones, Brady Poppinga, Cyril Obiozor (4)
ILB: AJ Hawk, Nick Barnett, Brandon Chillar, Desmond Bishop (4)
CB: Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, Al Harris, Brandon Underwood, Pat Lee, Will Blackmon (6)
FS: Nick Collins, Derrick Martin (2)
SS: Atari Bigby, Morgan Burnett (2)

Defense (25)

LS: Brett Goode
K: Mason Crosby
P: Chris Bryan

ST (3)

Thoughts:

FB: John Kuhn is a tough cut but you've got to think that there's not enough roster room this year for both. Although I'm probably wrong as the coaches seem to like Kuhn more, I think Hall compliments Johnson the best and is also the better special teamer given his experience as a linebacker.

WR: I'm guessing Gore beats out Swain. Gore seems to have just as much special teams ability with a bunch more upside. He looks unblockable on punt coverage. As a WR he looks to be created out of the Donald Driver mold. Adept as playing the slot, great hands, fights for YAC just like DD.

TE: I'd rather they keep 4 TEs than cut Lee. Havner is a tough cut though. He showed promise as a receiver and a special teamer.

OL: Barbre will probably be Tony Moll'ed this offseason. I guess he's getting LT reps so it makes sense. I'm guessing Breno makes the team again based on nothing other than I can't figure out what kept him off the PS last year so the reason must still exist. If Lang catches on at RT then it should be EDS on the team instead of Breno.

DE: This is a nice group. CJ Wilson will probably come off the PS to fill in for Harrell or Jolly. Whoever goes out first.

OLB: This group seems weak but at least its diverse. The Packers have some DE's who have experience rushing the edge as 4-3 DEs. If disaster should strike or Brad Jones struggles the Packers have the ability to replace our 2-4-5 pass defense with a 3-3-5 in which Jenkins, Wynn, or Wilson would line up in a three point stance outside the tackle with CMIII in a two point stance over the other tackle. This would be the default pass defense used last year when Kampman played with his hand down.

CB: Harris is clearly coming back but it could be a tad late and so Tramon will likely take his starting gig and may never give it back. Pat Lee will get the opportunity to show what he can do and it better not suck. The coaches have said some things to make me think that Underwood made huge strides last year and is developing some great technique. Blackmon will make the team as a returner but should never see the field on defense. Josh Bell will take his spot when he gets injured.

S: Derrick Martin isn't a dream safety but with Burnett there to basically backup both spots, Martin gets buy on teams value alone. Burnett hopefully takes Bigby's job by the end of the year.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Man what you got is pretty much what I was thinking. The only thing I will change is I think they keep Kuhn and keep only 6 on the DL. I think Wynn and Wilson are on the PS.

Also, I’m still hoping they sign Westbrook as I believe he will add another dimension in the back field. If that were to happen I would then put Starks on the PS. On a side note, we look really thin at OLB, but I don’t know if there is anyone out there worth signing.

RashanGary
05-08-2010, 10:15 AM
CJ Wilson intrigues me. I can't see him being cut. He's a little different than what we're used to. His height and weight make you think he's a nice fit in the 3-4, but when you watch him play, he looks like he belongs in a 4-3, on the edge.

I've seen some clips of Wilson rushing the passer with some WOW moments. Remember the pass rush film we saw of Jones last year? He had a really nice youtube highlight where he was out there dominating the competition. Wilson had that this year. For as big as he is, he can really rush the edge.

I think he's going to flash enough to be impossible to cut. We usually have LB's rushing the passer, but if Capers sees some talent in this guy, I could see them getting him in some sub packages, on the edge rushing the passer.

3irty1
05-08-2010, 01:48 PM
That's Wynn also. Wynn played the edge in college and in his limited reps for us last year flash a promising pass rush. Wilson also seems to be that type of player.

HarveyWallbangers
05-08-2010, 02:20 PM
My only changes:

C.J. Wilson instead of Justin Harrell (can't see him staying healthy)

Brett Swain instead of Shawn Gore

A surprise (at any position) instead Giacomini. Giacomini has had his chances and they seldom carry 10 OL.

Patler
05-08-2010, 02:49 PM
I will be surprised if Giacomini is on the final 53. Too many "tackles only" and T/G ahead of him.

If all of the notables are healthy, including Clifton, Tauscher, Sitton, Lang, Bulaga and Newhouse (assuming he really is a prospect), I'm not sure all three of Wells, Spitz and Colledge will make the final 53. I could see one of them being traded. They reportedly like Dietrich-Smith a lot as the backup center, so if Spitz is the starter, Wells could be the odd man out. If Wells is the starter, whoever losses the starting job at LG could be gone.

They sort of have a whole new crop of OL prospects for the backup positions. Lots of '09 and '10 free agents along with two draft picks this year. The earlier crop (Wells, Colledge, Spitz, Barbre and Giacomini) could be pared down to those who start, with the backup spots going to the new crop.

O-line will be an interesting battle in TC.

Lurker64
05-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Too many DL on your 53. We'll activate only 5 on game days, so it's unlikely we'll keep more than 6.

I think Pickett, Raji, Jenkins, Jolly, and Neal are in leaving one roster spot for one of Harrell, Wynn, Wilson, and Talley. Wilson and Talley have PS elligibility, so they're comparatively easy cuts.

3irty1
05-08-2010, 02:59 PM
I'd be surprised if Wells was beat out by EDS because EDS is the better backup.

Breno seemed to be the front runner for the RT spot last year until he single handedly almost got Flynn killed and then became injured himself. After that it was Barbre's job to lose. For whatever reason they seem to like him and some good players hit the PS before he did last year.

RashanGary
05-08-2010, 03:27 PM
I could see Harrell and Jarius Wynn cut (maybe traded if either flashes this preseason).

Harrell, Wynn, Colledge, Spitz, Wells, Barbre, Giacomini, EDS, Hawk, Donald Lee. . All possible trade bait I think.

RashanGary
05-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Surprise possible cuts

Donald Lee, AJ Hawk, Mark Tauscher, Pat Lee, Will Blackmon

3irty1
05-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Wynn played extremely well last year and flashed some real pass rush potential. Right now I'd say he's more likely to make the team than CJ Wilson. At the same time I can't believe he'd have any real trade value. He's still developing and he wasn't a high draft pick. Harrell is probably on his last strike.

Tony Oday
05-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Surprise possible cuts

Donald Lee, AJ Hawk, Mark Tauscher, Pat Lee, Will Blackmon

D Lee prolly gone, Hawk not a chance, Mark Taucher not a chance, God I hope so, STAY HEALTHY!!!!

Joemailman
05-10-2010, 04:50 PM
If Johnny Jolly is suspended for the first 4 games, does e have to be carried on the 53 man roster?

retailguy
05-10-2010, 05:37 PM
If Johnny Jolly is suspended for the first 4 games, does e have to be carried on the 53 man roster?

not while he's suspended.

Joemailman
05-10-2010, 09:30 PM
QB: Aaron Rodgers, Matt Flynn (2)
RB: Ryan Grant, Brandon Jackson, James Starks (3)
FB: Quinn Johnson, Korey Hall (2)
WR: Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, Brett Swain (5)
TE: JerMichael Finley, Donald Lee, Andrew Quarless (3)
OL: Chad Clifton, Bryan Bulaga, Daryn Colledge, TJ Lang, Jason Spitz, Scott Wells, Josh Sitton, Marshall Newhouse, Evan Dietrich-Smith, Mark Tauscher (10)

Offense (25)

DE: Cullen Jenkins, Mike Neal, Jarius Wynn, C.J. Wilson, Justin Harrell (5)
NT: Ryan Pickett, BJ Raji (2)
OLB: CMIII, Brad Jones, Brady Poppinga, Cyril Obiozor (4)
ILB: AJ Hawk, Nick Barnett, Brandon Chillar, Desmond Bishop (4)
CB: Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, Al Harris, Brandon Underwood, Pat Lee, Will Blackmon (6)
FS: Nick Collins, Derrick Martin (2)
SS: Atari Bigby, Morgan Burnett (2)

Defense (25)

LS: Brett Goode
K: Mason Crosby
P: Chris Bryan

ST (3)

I expect Johnny Jolly to be suspended at the start of the season. If and when he is activated, a decision on who to release will be made based on the current injury situation.