PDA

View Full Version : Driver

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-08-2010, 10:03 AM
I believe his numbers will drop this year. I believe Finely and Jennings are two most talented receivers on the roster and basically will be the number 1 and number two receivers this season (understanding that Finley is a TE lol). I also think that Jones (entering year 4) and Nelson (entering year 3) are going to be much improved esp. with Rodgers throwing them the ball. I wouldn’t be surprised if his role is reduced and he is not resigned after this season.

I expect Jones, Nelson and Finley to play much larger roles than before. I could see Driver getting phased out as the season moves along.
However, the guy still knows how to play the game and I still expect him to play the way he always has. I just think that improvement around him might take some playing time from him this season.

What do you guys think?

ND72
05-08-2010, 10:08 AM
I have kind of been saying this for a couple years, but the old man keeps coming through.

RashanGary
05-08-2010, 10:09 AM
I could see Jennings #'s staying about the same. Finley should take some of Driver's catches.

I don't know that Jones or Nelson are going to take that step just yet. I think they could, but they won't get the chance until Driver is gone. Just not enough footballs to go around and there is no reason to demote Driver. He's still really good. 1150 yards for Jennings, 950 for Finley, 900 for Driver and then 1,000 split up between the other TE's, WR's and RB's.

Tarlam!
05-08-2010, 01:46 PM
1150 - Jennings, 950 - Finley, 900 - Driver, 1,000 split up...

...and a partridge in a pear tree! :lol:

Sorry JH, your post was very good, but I just couldn't resist violating it.

3irty1
05-08-2010, 01:52 PM
I think Driver's production won't change much. I don't think his ability is diminishing faster than other receivers are developing. DD will only benefit from J-Mike receiving extra attention.

The Leaper
05-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Actually, Driver's number have been going down for awhile now...you really have to compare a player's reception total to the total completions the team had for the year to see their productivity.

06-07: 92/350 = 26.3% of the total completions
07-08: 82/383 = 21.4%
08-09: 74/343 = 21.6%
09-10: 70/357 = 19.6%

I think Driver is going to see another downtick this year...Finley should become someone that can catch 70+ a year, and I think Green Bay is going to try to get more production in the passing game out of the backfield in 2010. However, big plays should remain plentiful...because the presence of all the solid receivers on the field will keep defenses in more zone coverage, and Driver's YAC the last few years has increased because of that.

He takes good care of himself, and relies more on elusiveness than pure speed to make plays. I think Driver has 2 more good years left in him...the talent around him will lengthen his career, not shorten it.

RashanGary
05-08-2010, 09:22 PM
So he's on pace to have 63 catches. I could see Finley passing him.

packerbacker1234
05-09-2010, 03:06 AM
I expect Donald Driver to BE Donald Driver. Chalk up yet another 1,000 yard season, and a slew of big plays, one handed catches, catches in traffic, etc. The talent around him is obviously better, but look at things logically. If you recall, there was a stretch last season where Jennings just didn't have it. He wasn't getting open hardly at all, he was dropping really easy give me catches, meanwhile here was driver making one handed catches against his helmet, and turning slant plays into 70 yard gains. Driver seems to me what he as always been, a really reliable WR who could realistically be effective until he is 40, which everyone knows he had said he plans to play until.

His drop offs haven't really been his fault, generally. Each of those seasons we have improved the people around the packers. The fact remains that Driver is still capable of being a #1 WR he has to be, but in this sort of passing offense thats not needed. I still think, in a clutch situation, that Driver is still going to be one of the first two options.

He just has too much history of making that play for him not to be that guy. I really like driver, and if they felt that Nelson or Jones were honestly as good as Driver is, they would of already mad the move. Fact remains, Driver has never stopped performing from the moment he was given a chance.

I know the "slow" decline says otherwise, but he always gets 1000 yards, and I think you will see jennings #'s eaten into. They will now focus jennings and Finely more, which as some suggested, is going to actually make Driver more productive. In many of those previous seasons, Driver was still considered the #1. It's doubtful teams play it that way this year. Thats great news for DD

Iron Mike
05-09-2010, 07:04 AM
I expect Donald Driver to BE Donald Driver. Chalk up yet another 1,000 yard season, and a slew of big plays, one handed catches, catches in traffic, etc. The talent around him is obviously better, but look at things logically. If you recall, there was a stretch last season where Jennings just didn't have it. He wasn't getting open hardly at all, he was dropping really easy give me catches, meanwhile here was driver making one handed catches against his helmet, and turning slant plays into 70 yard gains. Driver seems to me what he as always been, a really reliable WR who could realistically be effective until he is 40, which everyone knows he had said he plans to play until.

His drop offs haven't really been his fault, generally. Each of those seasons we have improved the people around the packers. The fact remains that Driver is still capable of being a #1 WR he has to be, but in this sort of passing offense thats not needed. I still think, in a clutch situation, that Driver is still going to be one of the first two options.

He just has too much history of making that play for him not to be that guy. I really like driver, and if they felt that Nelson or Jones were honestly as good as Driver is, they would of already mad the move. Fact remains, Driver has never stopped performing from the moment he was given a chance.

I know the "slow" decline says otherwise, but he always gets 1000 yards, and I think you will see jennings #'s eaten into. They will now focus jennings and Finely more, which as some suggested, is going to actually make Driver more productive. In many of those previous seasons, Driver was still considered the #1. It's doubtful teams play it that way this year. Thats great news for DD

You're forgetting about the increasing # of drops DD has been having as the years go by. There was a strech last year where I swear he dropped every other pass thrown his way. :x

packerbacker1234
05-09-2010, 09:01 PM

You're forgetting about the increasing # of drops DD has been having as the years go by. There was a strech last year where I swear he dropped every other pass thrown his way. :x

Drop statistics are next to impossible to find. The only year I can find any information for seems to be 2008, where it listed Greg Jennings with 8 drops and Donald Driver with 6. Even if drive had 4 more drops than that in 2009, I don't know if thats really a steep decline or just a bad stretch.

Fritz
05-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks Iron Mike. I like Driver, of course, but the drops last year...

MichiganPackerFan
05-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Is there any receiver better with the first three steps after the catch? He's got to be one of the hardest to bring down in that time.

packerbacker1234
05-11-2010, 01:34 AM
Is there any receiver better with the first three steps after the catch? He's got to be one of the hardest to bring down in that time.

Yeah, I believe driver averages like, 5.5 yards extra after the catch last season, and it's always been one of the best statistics for him in his career. After the catch, I am not sure any WR has the instincts and footwork driver does. Driver may not be the best jump ball guy, though he is good at it. He made not be the flashiest guy, though he can make an amazing grab now and then. he may not be the toughest over the middle, though he sure can take a hit, and he may not have the greatest hands in the world, but he's always been decently reliable. The big thing to me that makes him stand out from the crowd is that he has a decent compilation of everything that makes a great WR, it's that he has that one aspect he just does better then almost everyone else - is after catch move for more yardage.

That is a very valuable asset to any team, having a guy that gives you the YAC.