PDA

View Full Version : PFW Chat

Rastak
08-02-2006, 06:36 AM
Since motife is laying down on the job...here ya go....

Pro Football Weekly Archive: Chats | Index

Chris Neubauer: Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen! Let's talk some football on this steamy day across the country. Hope everyone is cool and hydrated!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matt (Florence, Ky): What is your take on the Bengals this year aside from all the off the field trouble?

Chris Neubauer: I think the Bengals are talented enough to win the AFC North, but only if Carson Palmer is healthy from Week One. If Palmer isn't 100-percent and misses some games, the Bengals still have enough talent to compete for a playoff spot because the Steelers aren't as good as they were last year and the Browns and Ravens are long shots.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brett (LA): Running back Mike Bell has been making some serious noise at Broncos Camp. Any chance, even with a great preseason, he turns out to be the starter on week one?

Chris Neubauer: Probably won't be a starter, but he has impressed the coaching staff and is a good fit for the offense. He'll likely secure a roster spot and see plenty of time as a backup.

billy (butler): with finneran out for ATL any chance they trade duckett and a pick for lelie? or would he not be happy being the #3 receiver. id like to see prohl myself.

Chris Neubauer: I think Ricky Proehl is the best fit in Atlanta. He's a well-respected and productive veteran who would be happy to serve as the No. 3 WR. Lelie would complain about his role as the No. 3 WR and Duckett isn't a good fit in Denver because they use the same zone-blocking schemes that Duckett has struggled with in Atlanta.

Afshin (Naperville, IL): Hey Chris! How well do you think Cedric Benson will perform in Chicago and what can the Bears get from trading Thomas Jones, who obviously either wants his money or won't play?

Chris Neubauer: Benson will perform like the Top 5 draft pick that he was. He's a tremendous between-the-tackles runner, which makes him a good fit for offensive coordinator Ron Turner's system. The Bears won't trade Jones just to trade him. They must get a starting caliber player or high draft pick in return. I think the Bears are comfortable keeping him around if they don't get an even return in trade offers.

Pete (NY): Hi Chris, It wasn't to you but I did ask a question to another PFW staffer about the idea of a Thomas Jones for Lelie deal! Do you think that this would happen and if so, who do you think would get the better of the deal? I really think that it wouldn't be that bad if the Bears RB'S were Peterson and Benson. Thanks a lot.

Chris Neubauer: The Bears are a team like the Bucs and the Steelers that earned a lot of their success last year from their tremendous team chemistry. Lelie is a malcontent that would disrupt that chemistry. Plus, the Bears have a number of young receivers who are similiar-type receivers to Lelie. Could a Jones for Lelie trade happen? Definitely, it's a fair exchange. But will it? No.

Nick Burtonsville Maryland: Will Mark Brunell's health become a problem for the skins and if so who will win the backup job?

Chris Neubauer: Brunell experienced a career renaissance last year and played like a QB in his mid-20s instead of his actual age (he turns 36 in September). So based on last year's results Brunell should be fine, but he's a quarterback that takes a lot of hits and has traditionally broken down in his career. Second-year QB Jason Campbell and veteran Todd Collins are battling for the No. 2 spot.

Bruce from Greensboro, NC: How can you say the Steelers aren?t as good this year? Ben will be better with another year of experience and Holmes is an upgrade over Randle El (Trust me on this). Their D will be as good if not better.

Chris Neubauer: Can Big Ben stay healthy? Can Holmes stay out of trouble? How many TD passes and reverses has Holmes completed in his career? Is the D really better without Chris Hope, Mike Logan and Kimo von Oehlhoffen? There are a lot of questions around the Steelers. That said, I think they can win the AFC North, but I don't think they'll repeat as Super Bowl champs.

Eric (Green bay a.k.a. titletown): afterhearing favres comments and seeing the improvements and keeping up with the daily coverage i must admit this packers team is better than last but the most talented? What is your opinion considering '97 and '98 we had the best d and o-line in football

Chris Neubauer: I'd say the Packers will be much better than people think this year (I predicted them to finish second in the NFC North). And the best team in Favre's tenure has to be the Super Bowl winning team.

Tim (NE): Pat's offense, should I be worried?

Chris Neubauer: Nope. Brady will be fine. Corey Dillon is healthy. Laurence Maroney could be a stud. So there's plenty of depth at RB. I know you're worried about Deion Branch's holdout, but I think rookie WR Chad Jackson is the most athletic WR on the roster and TEs Daniel Graham, Ben Watson and David Thomas is as good a group of TEs as you'll find.

Rod (Boynton Beach) FL: With Reggie Bush signed and in camp, do you think that Bennett now becomes expendable? And if so, do the Dolphins look at what it will take to acquire him?

Chris Neubauer: Yes, Bennett is now expendable. But the Saints will wait for the right offer. They still want to make sure Deuce McAllister is fully healthy before they give up Bennett. The Dolphins and Texans are both very interested in Bennett.

Big Murf (Northern VA): Got an IDP fantasy question for you. Do you expect big things from Will Witherspoon now being moved from WLB to MLB? - on another note - GO 'SKINS!

Chris Neubauer: Witherspoon will be less productive as an MLB. He is a bit undersized for the middle and he's played there before when Dan Morgan would get hurt and there was definitely a drop off. Witherspoon's tackles may increase, but interceptions, sacks and fumbles will decrease this year.

Hyman (Rochester): Chris,I love the fact that no one is even talking about the Seahawks. Everyone is assuming the SB and Madden jinx will apply and that the Hutchinson loss will kill them. I don't think an offensive guard can make that much of a difference and their Defense is going to be much stronger. Mix that with the NFC West and a cake schedule and you have nice recipe for a repeat trip to the big game. Whaddaya think?

Chris Neubauer: You're very wise Hyman. The Seahawks should once again run away with the NFC West title. Their defense is much better. And offensive guard is the most replaceable position in football. Shaun Alexander will still be great and Matt Hasselbeck appears to get better each year. I'm predicting Seahawks-Panthers NFC championship game. It's a toss-up from there.

Kyle (Jacksonville, FL): How on earth do you pick the Packers over the Vikings? I'll give the Pack the LB position, but name one other position they're better at. And remember who threw 29 picks last year.

Chris Neubauer: How many games did Brad Johnson go out there and win for the Vikings? Don't even think about saying BJ is better than a future hall of famer. I would take Favre on one leg over 90 percent of the QBs in the league. He had an off year last season. Favre will be back with a fire in his belly and a whole bunch of TD passes this year.

Maurice (Plainfield,NJ): If the Ravens don't make the playoffs this year, do you think Billick will be fired?

Chris Neubauer: It appears that another year with no playoffs and Billick will lose his job. The addition of Steve McNair will make a tremendous difference and the Ravens will put up a good fight for a wild card spot.

J. (Vegas): Chris, you sound like John Madden.

Chris Neubauer: That's a compliment. Thank you.

Glenn (boston): how much friction is there in reality between the Pats and Deion Branch? Do you think it will cause any discord for this year? And who do you think gets the start opposite Branch at #2 WR?

Chris Neubauer: Chad Jackson should definitely win the No. 2 job. He's the most physically-gifted WR Brady has had in New England.

Tony (Allentown,PA): So what is your take on the G-men this year, do u think they have a chance to retake the East again

Chris Neubauer: Giants can finish anywhere from first to fourth in the talented NFC East. If Tiki Barber stays healthy and Eli Manning takes a big step forward, the Giants will definitely be in the NFC East title mix.

ANDY (Atlanta): Who will have a better year, Steve McNair or Aaron Brooks?

Chris Neubauer: McNair's Ravens will win more games. Brooks will have better stats.

Brad Johnson (MN): The Pack are going to need a surrounding cast to support Favre. I too can't believe you are picking the Pack as #2 in the NFC North...you just lost a LOT of credibility!

Chris Neubauer: In January we'll see who lost their credibility, BJ!

Doug (Tampa, Fl): How will Chris Simms and the Tampa Bay Bucs do this saeson?

Chris Neubauer: Simms showed a lot of poise and a big downfield arm last year. If he can stay healthy and avoid some of the vicious, unnecessary hits that he took, Simms will perform well. The Bucs defense is old and not very deep so one major injury would derail the season. That said, I still think they'll finish second in the NFC South and secure a wild-card spot.

Katelyn (Syracuse, NY): The most uncertain battle in the NFL has to be the Bills QB situation. Who will wind up being the starter? What kind of season do you see the team having?

Chris Neubauer: Kelly Holcomb will be the Week One starter. But I think at least three different QBs will make starts for the Bills. Bills are in a rebuilding mode (GM Marv Levy told PFW as much recently) and they'll have a tough time staying out of the AFC East cellar.

Joe: San Francisco, CA: Wow, Seanags-Panthers NFC Championship. Brett Favre is better than BJ, Ravens win more games than the Raiders, you are really going out on a limb with these picks. Let me guess, Indy-Pitt in the AFC? I bet you think the 49ers will stink too.

Chris Neubauer: Steelers-Patriots in AFC championship game. The 49ers will stink, that's a fact.

Damon (Elon, NC): What hurts the Panthers chances of a Super Bowl run the most? An injury to Steve Smith or an injury to Jake Delhomme?

Chris Neubauer: injury to Jake Delhomme because Chris Weinke is a serviceable back up, but Delhomme is a superstar in the making. Smith is only slightly more replaceable because of the emergy of 6-4 speedster Drew Carter.

Joe (Middletown, NJ): Hey chris! Who do u think wil be the jets starter this year and do u think Kellen Clemens will get a start for the jets this year?

Chris Neubauer: Kellen Clemens will get to start at some point. While I'd like him to be the starter from Week One, he probably won't. I would guess they start with Chad Pennington until he gets hurt again.

Brad (Grand Forks): How long does D. Foster keep his starting position in Carolina?

Chris Neubauer: Head coach John Fox is a big DeShaun Foster fan and Foster is a very talented back. So Foster keeps his job until he gets hurt. He's suffered three season-ending injuries in four seasons.

Anthony (NYC): Who do you like in the NFC East?

Chris Neubauer: 1. Redskins.
2. Eagles.
3. Cowboys.
4. Giants

billy (atlanta): vick will be replaced by schuab in the year 20--?

Chris Neubauer: 2006.....if only the Falcons didn't invest $100 million in Vick, Schaub would be the starter right now

Anthony (NYC): Is Santana Moss a top 5 receiver in the NFL?

Chris Neubauer: Not top 5 but definitely top 10

Vito (Cicero, IL): Who will have a bigger year: R.Brown or S.Jackson?

Chris Neubauer: Ronnie Brown.

Todd (Syracuse): Is Duckett still on the trading block? Does a trade to the Steelers for a WR like Cedrick Wilson make sense?

Chris Neubauer: Yes, Duckett is still on the trading block. Yes, the Steelers were very interested in him over Draft weekend. I still think the Falcons would try to sign a free agent like Ricky Proehl first, but a trade for a No. 3 WR makes sense.

Bob (GA): Why dont the Falcons trade Vick to Detroit or the Jets (Where he could be very marketable) and let the QB that is better in the West Coast system (Schaub) play?

Chris Neubauer: Excellent idea Bob. I really do agree with you that Vick would be far better in another system, especially with a creative offensive mind like Mike Martz in Detroit. Schaub is the better West Coast QB, no question about that.

brians (florida): how will michael clyaton do this year

Chris Neubauer: I really think his job as the No. 2 WR is in jeopardy because David Boston appears nearly 100 percent healthy and Jon Gruden is very excited about Boston. Clayton slumped so bad last year that he could definitely fall out of the starting lineup.

john seaside ca: Chris, With the hard nosed traing camp Shell is working, do the Raiders get some of the nasty back, sure they will lose games, but will it be in a more physical manner.

Chris Neubauer: I hope so. Shell should have never been fired the first time. I'm very excited he's back with the Silver and Black.

Chris (Salisbury Maryland):: What kind of compensation would the Falcons get for Vick. I don't think it can be a even trade?

Chris Neubauer: It would be the biggest blockbuster trade ever. I can't even begin to fathom the pieces needed to make it even.

Alex (Miami): cadillac williams or ronnie brown? y?

Chris Neubauer: I actually drafted them both this morning in a mock fantasy draft PFW did for our next issue. I think they'll both be 1,100-1,300 yard rushers with 8-10 TDs.

Kenny (Raleigh, NC): Chris, I need help figuring out the Panthers LB situation. This has to be our weakest link on the team, with Morgan always hurt, Davis unproven, and Diggs/Adams new to the system. Am I right on this?

Chris Neubauer: You hit the nail on the head Kenny. Had Witherspoon not left we'd be talking about how this was one of the best defenses ever assembled. Morgan has never played all 16 games in a regular season so that's a big concern. Davis is moving from safety to SLB where the Panthers want to use his speed and make him a top-notch pass rusher. Veterans Na'il Diggs and Keith Adams are battling rookie James Anderson for the starting WLB spot. Diggs is very talented, but suffered through two knee injuries last year. Adams is a solid tackler and steay on special teams but he's no where near the playmaker that Witherspoon was. Anderson has really impressed the coaches and he'll take over the starting role at some point this season.

Alex (Miami): really high on roy williams this year....is there any reason i shouldnt be

Chris Neubauer: Don't get too carried away with Roy Williams. He's an extremely talented WR. There's no question about that. But he's the sort of tall lumbering receiver that hasn't succeeded in Martz's offense in the past. That said, Roy Williams is the best receiver on the Lions and should be considered a top 12-15 fantasy WR.

steve (norfolk,va): What do you think of the young, up and coming titans?

Chris Neubauer: I really like the Titans. They're just in a very tough division where Inday and the Jags are clearly better. But within two or three years, the Titans will be back to the contenders they were in the late 90s.

Bob (GA): Bigger surprise this year: C. Benson or Reg Brown?

Chris Neubauer: Reggie Brown because he's the clear No. 1 WR in Philly. Benson still has to hold off the very talented Thomas Jones to keep his starting job,

Bob (Miami FL): alot of people want to compare Sinorice Moss to his brother Santana Moss. But Santana numbers in college were much better than his brother. Taking that into account can Sinorice really be the player or even close to player his brother is?

Chris Neubauer: Sinorice's numbers in college are very deceiving. He played in an offense that couldn't make up its mind what it wanted to do. But the few times he touched the ball, he definitely flashed talent similar to Santana's. But don't forget that it took Santana a few years to have an impact in the NFL and the same will probably be true for Sinorice.

Bill Sacramento, CA: Who wins the Bears #2 receiver position? Thanks.

Chris Neubauer: The coaching staff appears very high on second-year WR Mark Bradley. If he can stay healthy, he's coming off his second torn ACL in two years, Bradley's the guy. Bernard Berrian will give him a solid challenge.

Andy ( Chicago): is Rex Grossman a number 1 QB

Chris Neubauer: yes, if healthy.

Joe: San Francisco, CA: On the flip side of the Vick trade question, why doesn't the coaching staff of the Falcons actually decide to implement an offense that their players can be successful in instead of trying to force them into the West Coast?

Chris Neubauer: Joe, that is an excellent question. The Falcons have a lot more money tied up in Vick than they do in offensive coordinator Greg Knapp. They should find an offensive coordinator who can adapt to Vick. That's why I'm surprised Knapp has lasted this long in Atlanta. Another bad season from Vick and Knapp will suffer.

Jason (Saratoga, NY): Just kidding on the 1 in 166 thing but I do believe the Giants will finish in 1st place. Keep up the good work!

Chris Neubauer: The NFC East is so wide open. The only clear favorite for me is Washington. Beyond that, any of the three teams could make a playoff push.

Sam (Indianapolis): Who is the starting QB for the Lions, Kitna or McCown

Chris Neubauer: Head coach Rod Marinelli named Kitna the starter a couple days ago.

Matt,MPLS : How good can Matt Jones be?

Chris Neubauer: Very. He has freakish athletic ability and made a quick and smooth transition to WR last year. He'll be a very good WR very soon.

Chris Neubauer: Thank you to everyone for all the insightful questions. I've got to go now. Stay hydrated! We'll talk to you next week.

No Mo Moss
08-02-2006, 09:58 AM
That's right! Tell that stupid Viking fan where to go. Fucking BJ is better than Favre, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

MadtownPacker
08-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Wow, he said #2 in the North huh? Who did he pick #1?

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 11:57 AM
DAM !!!

Chris Neubauer is a very positive fella, :mrgreen:

He's the . . . anti-Jason Wilde.

Bring On The Faith - PACKERS !