PDA

View Full Version : James Jones on Brian Cushing

digitaldean
05-13-2010, 07:52 PM
http://tinyurl.com/34s4kqr

James Jones was on WSSP in Milwaukee. He was asked about Brian Cushing and his DROY award.

Paraphrasing, but essentially he said he should be stripped and the AP pseudo re-vote results essentially said it was OK to use PEDs.

I'm all for it. Regardless of who it is, if you're busted for PEDs any awards (and contractural bonuses that go with them) should be stripped.

MichiganPackerFan
05-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Sadly the NFL is following MLB's lead and fully supporting the use of PED's.

steve823
05-14-2010, 12:57 PM

But in my opinion PEDS are much more effective in baseball than football. You still need technique and instincts in football.

pbmax
05-14-2010, 01:21 PM

But in my opinion PEDS are much more effective in baseball than football. You still need technique and instincts in football.
Not so fast. Both require skills that cannot be touched or trained by PEDs or workouts. Steroids won't make a lacrosse player a centerfielder.

And in each case, the athlete taking the stuff has still got to get into the gym and train with drills for the job.

But what they do allow is for you to do all the things you were doing before while bigger, faster and stronger. And possibly while recovering from injuries faster. It would not work the same for everyone, not all are dedicated enough. But for those who are, it provides an edge. The only questions remaining (and one that will likely not be answered for a generation) concern what the baseline is. What are they taking legally? And when do they start taking it? Plus the inevitable, what has the next Balco developed to avoid detection?

I say we go to the Drugs Allowed competitions: http://www.hulu.com/watch/4090/saturday-night-live-weekend-update-all-drug-olympics

Noodle
05-14-2010, 01:22 PM
I was shocked that Cushing kept the DROY award after the re-vote.

I mean c'mon -- given when he was caught, it was clear he was using the PEDs to get himself amped for the very season in which he is being awarded.

That the AP basically said "BFD" is probably the worst message they could have sent.

Scott Campbell
05-14-2010, 01:49 PM
I was shocked that Cushing kept the DROY award after the re-vote.

I mean c'mon -- given when he was caught, it was clear he was using the PEDs to get himself amped for the very season in which he is being awarded.

That the AP basically said "BFD" is probably the worst message they could have sent.

What does it say about the writers who voted for him again?

Fritz
05-15-2010, 07:46 AM
That they use roids too?

That they like fake tits on women?

That they think everyone's doing it anyway?

bobblehead
05-15-2010, 07:53 AM
I think most of the voters were pissed at the NFL for making him eligible for the award again.

Their attitude was "hey, if you are going to say he is still eligible we are going to vote for him since he had the best year"

The NFL tried to pass the buck of doing the right thing on to the AP and they didn't like it one bit. The NFL should man up and make him ineligible if they think that using PED's is wrong.

3irty1
05-16-2010, 02:46 PM

Lol. Who would benefit from being bigger, stronger, and less injured in Football? Roids definitely help in baseball but you can play baseball without being a world class athlete.

Football is about putting giant men in direct competitions of strength, speed, and endurance with each other. The incentive to use roids is through the roof and thus it shouldn't surprise anyone if over 90% of the league used banned PEDs. If there was a frowned upon drug I could take that would make me a truely better engineer, I'd absolutely take it.

Lurker64
05-16-2010, 02:51 PM

Lol. Who would benefit from being bigger, stronger, and less injured in Football? Roids definitely help in baseball but you can play baseball without being a world class athlete.

Football is about putting giant men in direct competitions of strength, speed, and endurance with each other. The incentive to use roids is through the roof and thus it shouldn't surprise anyone if over 90% of the league used banned PEDs. If there was a frowned upon drug I could take that would make me a truely better engineer, I'd absolutely take it.

I think the argument is basically that physically ideal people without top flight instincts are going to do better in baseball than football (I have no idea if this is true, but it doesn't seem ridiculous at first glance.)

You do see a lot of physical specimens in the NFL however who just don't seem to have the instincts and the game intelligence to really maximize their potential. Football is definitely a sport where you need more in the way of "quick twitch decision making" than baseball.

pbmax
05-16-2010, 04:12 PM
I think most of the voters were pissed at the NFL for making him eligible for the award again.

Their attitude was "hey, if you are going to say he is still eligible we are going to vote for him since he had the best year"

The NFL tried to pass the buck of doing the right thing on to the AP and they didn't like it one bit. The NFL should man up and make him ineligible if they think that using PED's is wrong.
The AP. The NFL doesn't handle the award.

3irty1
05-17-2010, 09:22 AM

I think the argument is basically that physically ideal people without top flight instincts are going to do better in baseball than football (I have no idea if this is true, but it doesn't seem ridiculous at first glance.)

You do see a lot of physical specimens in the NFL however who just don't seem to have the instincts and the game intelligence to really maximize their potential. Football is definitely a sport where you need more in the way of "quick twitch decision making" than baseball.

Raw athleticism (which is what roids can help you with as far as I know) is clearly more beneficial for one who plays professional football. There is some skill in football no doubt but baseball is a skill driven game first and foremost, hence why players can play well into their 40's. The athleticism to skill ratio between football and baseball is probably about the same as it is between baseball and golf or arm wrestling and football.