View Full Version : THE 3RD ANNUAL THIS IS THE YEAR FOR FERGUSON ARTICLE

Bretsky
08-02-2006, 07:45 AM
FADE PATTERN
Ferguson seeks breakout season
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Aug. 1, 2006
Green Bay - This truly is put-up-or-shut-up time for Robert Ferguson.

Robert Ferguson admits he hasn't played up to his capabilities in years past.

I think the thing was, I was trying too hard last year. I was worrying about what Brett thinks and was worrying about what Coach (Mike) Sherman thinks.

The Green Bay Packers know it. Ferguson readily acknowledges it. The way business is conducted in the National Football League almost demands it.

"I agree with that," Ferguson said Tuesday. "It's my sixth year. I think it's just time for me to go out and show what I'm capable of."

The Packers drafted Ferguson in the second round in 2001 as an early-out junior from Texas A&M. Four training camps, in 2002, '03, '04 and '06, opened with him looking like the No. 2 wide receiver on the roster. In the other two summers, 2001 and 2005, he went in no worse than No. 3.

Four times in six years the pecking order had Ferguson No. 2 at the start of a new season and for all of those high hopes, he has given the Packers just 111 receptions, 1,546 yards and 11 touchdowns. And a solitary 100-yard game.

A year ago, Javon Walker blew out his knee in Week 1. In turn, the coaching staff quickly extolled the abilities of Ferguson. Then he proceeded to have the worst year of his career, left knee injuries or not.

Now Walker is in Denver and the general manager, Ted Thompson, didn't do much of anything at the position other than draft Greg Jennings in the second round. So Ferguson is the starting split end opposite flanker Donald Driver, the same arrangement that didn't work in '05.

The new position coach, Jimmy Robinson, played wide receiver in the NFL for six seasons and coached wide receivers for 17 seasons. Robinson says the group of wide receivers has been no better than average early in camp, but after the irrepressible Driver he says Ferguson is the one wide receiver who has made a move.

"I think 'Ferg's' had a good start," Robinson said. "We've got a long way to go yet but he's off to a good start."

Physically, Ferguson has never looked better. On his 6 feet 1½ inches is packed 215 pounds, 5 more than a year ago.

"But I'm faster now than I've ever been," said Ferguson, who won't be 27 until December. "I was timed consistently in the 4.3s this off-season. It's showing out there so far."

Coach Mike McCarthy's passing game is mired in installation and mediocrity so far. But Robinson, with a keen eye, watches every move and can see Ferguson's rippling muscles, his overall great strength and tremendous hand-eye coordination as he works through drills.

"Just explosion, man," Ferguson said. "It's something I haven't done in the past. I'm quick in and out of my cuts. It's different because I studied the playbook so much in the off-season. I know every position, so it's just going out there and reacting."

When Ferguson first showed up in Green Bay, he had no idea what it would take to become a professional. Married now and the father of three children, he's wise in the ways of the world.

"I mean, to me, none of it matters out there," Ferguson said, referring to summer practices. "What matters is on Sundays when the lights come on. I've been around long enough to know that."

Ferguson failed in '05, simple as that. His average of 1.89 yards after the catch was the poorest of his career. He dropped a few too many balls (three). And his chemistry with Brett Favre seemed fractured on several occasions.

Of Favre's 29 interceptions, 11 were intended for Driver among his 149 targeted passes (7.38%). Another seven went to Ferguson among his 58 passes, meaning 12.1% of the passes thrown to him were intercepted.

Without naming names, coach Mike McCarthy and his coaches are demanding that wide receivers prevent errant passes from being intercepted. It's an area of the game that cost Ferguson in the court of public opinion, but he denies there ever was a time that he didn't sell out going for a pass.

"I think the thing was, I was trying too hard last year," he said. "I was worrying about what Brett thinks and was worrying about what Coach (Mike) Sherman thinks.

"That was not me. I could really care less what anybody thinks of me. What I'm doing now is just going out and playing. If I make a mistake, it happens. Everybody will make a mistake, from 4 (Favre) on down."

Ferguson finished 2002 as the No. 3 receiver ahead of Walker and 2003 as a much-improved starter opposite Driver. In December 2004, he was producing as the No. 3 behind the Driver-Walker duo when Jacksonville safety Donovin Darius ended his season with a vicious, illegal forearm.

Did the blow, which gave Ferguson constant headaches and sleeplessness for months, affect his performance in 2005, as some football people have surmised?

"That's a copout," Ferguson replied. "It'd be an excuse for me to say, 'Yeah, that's why I had a bad year. I got clothes-lined the year before.' But it didn't. To be honest, I didn't even remember the (expletive) after it happened. It didn't even cross my mind."

It's instructive to remember that Ferguson first made a name for himself as a fearless tackler on special teams. His toughness was lauded by teammates and coaches alike for being off the charts.

The five-year, $10.9 million contract that Ferguson signed in June 2004 contains modest base salaries of $1.8 million in '07 and $2.2 million in '08. Still, there have been too many unfulfilled chances for the Packers to bring him back next year if he doesn't come to the forefront in '06.

"After my rookie year I had (two) good seasons and two years following I've just been injured," he said. "I feel like this regime hasn't really seen me and what I did in '03 and the playoffs, and what I did in '02. They really don't know the real me.

"I think all that just got swept under the rug and people just got caught up with the injuries. I feel like it's my year to show him (McCarthy) what I can do."

Bretsky
08-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Article should be entitled "Fraud" Pattern

Zool
08-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Do we get the day off work next year?

red
08-02-2006, 07:51 AM
this is your 6th year robert, and we are still asking "is this the year"?

if he was going to do anything it would have been 2 or 3 years ago. IMO you can beleive two things at this point. either he was always a never-will-be, or he got every ounce of talent hit out of him by darious

he had every chance in the world last year, and was pathetic imo

Bretsky
08-02-2006, 07:58 AM
this is your 6th year robert, and we are still asking "is this the year"?

if he was going to do anything it would have been 2 or 3 years ago. IMO you can beleive two things at this point. either he was always a never-will-be, or he got every ounce of talent hit out of him by darious

he had every chance in the world last year, and was pathetic imo

AMEN

That article is crap

Creepy
08-02-2006, 08:01 AM
When he starts playing otherrthan in TC we will see how good he is. He has always had good reveiws during TC, and then does nothing in the Pre-season or regular season.

IMO, they might be able to get a #4 for him from Atlanta or Philly. Trade him now and lets keep somebody else. Hell, this guy Ruvell Martin keeps popping up inthe TC notes. GB has enough #3/#4 receivers thatthey can afford tolose Ferguson.

Patler
08-02-2006, 08:26 AM
I seriously doubt Ferguson has any trade value at all anymore. Last year in TC the Packers looked decent at receiver with Driver, Walker and Murphy who received pretty decent reports right away. Teams could have had a mistaken assumption that Ferguson was a starting caliber player who was getting squeezed out.

Now, every team knows GB is desperate for receivers. If GB is willing to part with Ferguson, it will be because he is no better than some no-name free agents that will make the final roster. There is no other reason to get rid of him.

Creepy
08-02-2006, 08:31 AM
To most NFL teams Ferguson is a wasted player, but Atlanta & Philly need WRs, and to get one with WC experience si hard. A #4 is not bad for a possible #3 WR, his salary is set until 2008 and won't need to be resigned. Wether they give a #4 or not will be deccided by those teams, but should Ferguson look good in TC and the Falcons/Eagles end up having to get somebody he may become worth a #4.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 08:46 AM
The only reason to cut Fergy would be to save money. He is a good ST player, and probably as talented as anybody else they can pickup off waivers. I don't see any of the receivers on the lower half of the current depth chart as being upgrades.

I doubt Fergy's non-guaranteed salary compared to a waiver wire wonder is enough to justify cutting him. Not sure, tho.

Spaulding
08-02-2006, 09:12 AM
No way they get even a draft choice for him let alone a 4th. If Thompson somehow pulled off a trade and got a 7th or a conditional draft choice I'd bless his soul :D and do a jig.

Given the rumors so far I see the Pack going with the following for WR's:

Driver/Jennings/Rodgers/Boerichter/?

With the question mark being Gardner or Ferguson or one of the UDFA's with Martin standing out the most so far.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 09:45 AM
Funny! The Ruvell Martin bandwagon. I haven't heard his name once in this training camp on the positive note. In fact, I've heard Driver and Jennings have looked good, Ferguson ordinary, and the rest of the wideouts stink. It sounds like Boerigter has a severe case of the Ben Steeles. Ferguson is still one of the four best receivers on this roster. It will take all preseason to sort it out though. Maybe Rodgers, Martin, and Boerigter turn it around.

Patler
08-02-2006, 10:09 AM
To most NFL teams Ferguson is a wasted player, but Atlanta & Philly need WRs, and to get one with WC experience si hard. A #4 is not bad for a possible #3 WR, his salary is set until 2008 and won't need to be resigned. Wether they give a #4 or not will be deccided by those teams, but should Ferguson look good in TC and the Falcons/Eagles end up having to get somebody he may become worth a #4.

If he had that kind of value to Atlanta or Philly, GB would just keep him because they need receivers just as badly.

KYPack
08-02-2006, 10:30 AM
I fell off Fergies' bandwagon so long ago, I can't remember what it was like riding on it.

All this talk of his potential drives me nuts. I want Ferg & David Martin cut just so I don't have to listen to comments about these guys great potential.

K-town
08-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Ferguson reminds me of that one candy bar commercial: "Not going anywhere for a while?"
Where the outfielder is standing there goin' "yeah, this guys no good" before each batter knocks one out of the park. Towards the end of the commercial, the outfielder goes "HERE'S the guy."
Yeah, each year, THIS is when Fergie breaks out.
I recently watched some games from '03 - he looked great against Oakland (who didn't?), and great against Philly in the Playoff Game Of Which We Do Not Speak. In between, he disappears in the Seattle playoff game.
Up and down. Up and down. Time to "move along, there's nothing here to see."

Tony Oday
08-02-2006, 11:09 AM
To preface this post I DO NOT LIKE FURGIE:

"That's a copout," Ferguson replied. "It'd be an excuse for me to say, 'Yeah, that's why I had a bad year. I got clothes-lined the year before.' But it didn't. To be honest, I didn't even remember the (expletive) after it happened. It didn't even cross my mind."

I love that. The correct thing to say. Now back this shit up Furgie and I will be touting your jersey for sure!

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 11:13 AM
I seriously doubt Ferguson has any trade value at all anymore. Last year in TC the Packers looked decent at receiver with Driver, Walker and Murphy who received pretty decent reports right away. Teams could have had a mistaken assumption that Ferguson was a starting caliber player who was getting squeezed out.

Now, every team knows GB is desperate for receivers. If GB is willing to part with Ferguson, it will be because he is no better than some no-name free agents that will make the final roster. There is no other reason to get rid of him.

Yes. If we let go of him Patler? How much money comes back to OUR CAP if any?

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Funny! The Ruvell Martin bandwagon. I haven't heard his name once in this training camp on the positive note. In fact, I've heard Driver and Jennings have looked good, Ferguson ordinary, and the rest of the wideouts stink. It sounds like Boerigter has a severe case of the Ben Steeles. Ferguson is still one of the four best receivers on this roster. It will take all preseason to sort it out though. Maybe Rodgers, Martin, and Boerigter turn it around.

Then regarding Ruvell Martin - your missing the ride Harvey. :mrgreen:

He's been doing pretty darn good Harvey, and making plays that certainly Gardner and Ferguson and Boerigter arn't. Those three look invisable compared to Ruvell Martin.

GO PACKERS !

Creepy
08-02-2006, 11:31 AM
I honestly don't see any positive or negative writing on Ruvell Martin, but he seems to be always catching something and mentioned in the TC notes. His catches are not only from Rodgers but Brett as well. If anybody at the TCs can tell me what they see it would be great.

As for Ferguson, I hope he shines enough to get a darft choice for him. He is a WR, and needs to become one, somebody else can run down filed on ST. Remember, he only plays ST when he is listed as the #3 WR, each time he has been elevated to the #2 slot he is tajen off the ST. So he isn't that big a loss on that group.

Patler
08-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Yes. If we let go of him Patler? How much money comes back to OUR CAP if any?

GO PACKERS !

Ferguson's salary is $1.4 million this year. That's the amount that would come off the 2006 cap. Then you have to pay someone else to take his spot.

If Ferguson is released, the cap hit next year is $1.4, which is less than he would cost on the roster, by a fair amount. I believe the cap cost for Ferguson in 2007 is something like $2.5 million and almost $3 million in 2008.

The long and short of it is the cap effect to release ferguson this year is something like:

2006 - reduce by $1.4 million from what it is now.
2007 - reduce by $1.1 million (even though there is "dead money")
2008 - reduce by $3 million

You always have to bear in mind that the "real savings" will be less whatever the player who takes his roster spot is paid. The player who would not be there if Ferguson were kept.

Creepy
08-02-2006, 12:09 PM
The cost of the replacemnet is if they go outside to get it. Gardner at #3, Jenning #2, Driver #1, Boewriter #4 and Martin or somebody already in camp at #5. No need to pay for another back-up.

Patler
08-02-2006, 01:17 PM
The cost of the replacemnet is if they go outside to get it. Gardner at #3, Jenning #2, Driver #1, Boewriter #4 and Martin or somebody already in camp at #5. No need to pay for another back-up.

Well, sort of. Right now the cap number is calculated as the highest paid 51 players, plus all prorated bonuses amounts, dead money, etc. As a result, many of the players in camp right now are not counted against the cap. When a player is released, everyone below him in cost moves up a notch, and the player who was #52 and did not count now becomes #51 and counts against the cap. If Ferguson were released today, he would no longer count, but the old number #52 on the list would become #51 and would count, so the net change is the differenc of the two amounts.

Same thing applies in reverse if a player is signed in preseason. If he is one of the highest paid 51, everyone below him moves down a notch. The cap effect is the new players cap value minus the salary of the player who now becomes #52 on the list and no longer counts.

Once the season starts the cap number includes the 53 players on the final roster, everyone on the practice squad, everyone on IR & PUP and what ever amounts of bonuses have to be counted for players that were released. Partial salaries count for players who are signed for less than the entire season, with some exceptions for certain classses of veterans whose salaries are guaranteed.

red
08-02-2006, 02:07 PM
heres a line from profootballtalk.com that sums up fergusons situation perfectly.

from the Wednesday morning one liners

"Memo to Packers WR Robert Ferguson: Wideouts typically "break out" at some point before year six of their careers."

couldn't have put it better myself

the_idle_threat
08-02-2006, 02:19 PM
I was going to post this article last night, but I couldn't come up with an appropriately snide subject line.

Good Job, Bretsky---you hit it right on the head! :D

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 02:56 PM
I honestly don't see any positive or negative writing on Ruvell Martin, but he seems to be always catching something and mentioned in the TC notes. His catches are not only from Rodgers but Brett as well. If anybody at the TCs can tell me what they see it would be great.

Since the pads went on? I haven't seen anything about Martin since the pads went on this weekend. I couldn't care less how he looked in shorts during the OTAs. I've seen him lumped in with the other receivers for generally poor play. I've seen him mentioned once or twice catching balls, but damn near every player on the roster has been mentioned in one of the many reports/blogs out there by now. I haven't seen anything that said something like "Martin has continued his impressive play from the OTAs." I'd like to see it. Please post.

MJZiggy
08-02-2006, 03:08 PM
This is as close as there is. The section of the article from Packers.com was talking about an emphasis by the coaches on the offense winning 50/50 up-for-grabs passes.

During the red zone portion towards the end of practice, Robert Ferguson and Ruvell Martin each won a jump ball on pop-fly passes to the corner of the end zone, a play often used against single coverage and/or to beat a blitz. Those were a good start, but Jagodzinski hasn't seen enough of those plays.

If he can do that in a game, that would improve his chances of sending Fergie off the roster.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 03:11 PM
With the varous reports, I've seen practically every player on the roster making A play or two. I want to see where the "experts" are saying that Martin has been playing well--now that the pads have been put on. If so, great for him. I don't buy into the reports on a guy doing well in OTAs.

Noodle
08-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Screw you nattering naboobs of negativism.

Fergie is going to have his year this year. He's practicing well, he's faster, he's stronger, he's healthier. All systems go.

And when he's handing out invites to all his loyal fans to the pro bowl, you can all give my white, hairy ass a big ol kiss as I fly off to Hawaii.

Honestly, he took a hit that would have killed most of the folks posting on this forum. And he held on to the ball. Most of us would have been lucky to have held on to our bowels.

Now he's having a good camp, and all you guys can do is hate. The current depth chart is the one we'll see at the end of the season, and I here and now predict that Fergie gets a 1,000 yard season.

Bretsky
08-02-2006, 06:46 PM

Fergie is going to have his year this year. He's practicing well, he's faster, he's stronger, he's healthier. All systems go.

And when he's handing out invites to all his loyal fans to the pro bowl, you can all give my white, hairy ass a big ol kiss as I fly off to Hawaii.

Honestly, he took a hit that would have killed most of the folks posting on this forum. And he held on to the ball. Most of us would have been lucky to have held on to our bowels.

Now he's having a good camp, and all you guys can do is hate. The current depth chart is the one we'll see at the end of the season, and I here and now predict that Fergie gets a 1,000 yard season.

DON"T YOU EVER LEARN ?

Predicting a 1,000 yard season ?

You know what I'm thinking; I need not say more.

Patler
08-02-2006, 06:51 PM

... and what are you predicting for David Martin?

BF4MVP
08-02-2006, 06:58 PM

Finally, someone who feels the same way :D

I won't go so far as to predict a thousand yard season, but I just hope he plays well..

LEWCWA
08-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Ok I'll go out on a limb. I'll predict 67 catches for 1057 yards 6 td's for ole Fergy!

Bretsky
08-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Holy crap we've got a bunch of Tex Packer like predictions coming for the Fraud

Patler
08-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Ok I'll go out on a limb. I'll predict 67 catches for 1057 yards 6 td's for ole Fergy!

15.8 yds/rec.???? That's higher than Walker had in 2004.

Noodle
08-02-2006, 07:38 PM
I ain't backin' off, but my real prediction is around 800 yards. But since I also said he was going pro bowl, I figured Patler would do some research and point out that there's never been a pro bowl receiver with less than 1000 yards, so there you have it. I'll stay on record for 1000.

And yeah, B, I'm still hanging on. I'm not saying Fergy'll be better than Chambers, I've conceded that battle to you, but I'm saying he's going to come through this year.

As for Martin, I'm more in Lee's camp as the new Keith Jackson. So I'm not going big numbers for DM. But I get the snide point of big predictions for underachievers. I thought that sort of thing was beneath Patler. I'm hurt.

BF4MVP
08-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Martin was a seventh round pick...I don't understand why everyone has expected so much of him....He was a FREAKING seventh round pick..

Patler
08-02-2006, 07:53 PM
As for Martin, I'm more in Lee's camp as the new Keith Jackson. So I'm not going big numbers for DM. But I get the snide point of big predictions for underachievers. I thought that sort of thing was beneath Patler. I'm hurt.

It was just a simple question! :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, I wonder if there has ever been a receiver who has had as lackluster of a career for 5 years as Ferguson has had, and then had a "breakout season"? I can't think of anyone, but if people want to throw out names, I will look at a few.

Even ignoring his totally wasted first year, in his 4 other seasons involving 56 games, Ferguson has 111 receptions. Just under 2 per game. To double that would be a remarkable turn around.

Patler
08-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Martin was a seventh round pick...I don't understand why everyone has expected so much of him....He was a FREAKING seventh round pick..

No body expected anything from him until he showed flashes, and the coaches praised his potential. Even then, it was not expecting, but hoping.

Every year you hear about the raw ability, and comments like ...."if he can stay healthy, he could......". You start to hope that he becomes that odd 7th rounder who goes on to have a long, productive career, like Donald Driver and Mark Tauscher.

I have grown to have expectations for Scott Wells this year, and he was a 7th round pick. Not every 7th rounder is destined to a short career of mediocrity, and for a time we were lead to hope Martin could be one of the successful ones. That's why we now feel disappointment, because we were lead to hope over numerous seasons.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Well said, patler. We are disappointed because we see the potential there for a better player.

the_idle_threat
08-02-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm a nattering naboob of negativism! :lol:

I hope you are right, Noodle, I really do. Even if I don't relish the thought of kissing your white, hairy ass.

But realistically, I don't think the leopard changes his spots. If he does, then feel free to resurrect this thread and prove you told us so!

MJZiggy
08-02-2006, 09:40 PM
What's a naboob?

Bretsky
08-02-2006, 09:42 PM
What's a naboob?

It's what Najeh Davenport left in the Basket in the dorm room

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 09:42 PM
What's a naboob?

It's the opposite of a yaboob.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 09:43 PM

No, that was a Stanley Steamer.
:D

Noodle
08-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Ah, cripes, I meant to type "nabob." We need a friggin spell checker.

The line "natering nabobs of negativism" is from Spiro Agnew, who was ... oh forget it. I'm old.

the_idle_threat
08-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Spiro Agnew? Is that a band? :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
08-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Ah, cripes, I meant to type "nabob." We need a friggin spell checker.

The line "natering nabobs of negativism" is from Spiro Agnew, who was ... oh forget it. I'm old.

You can't possibly be old, as I know who Spiro was and I am certainly not old!!

Deputy Nutz
08-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Boy that was a great article, I think this is the year Fergy turns it around. I am thinking about getting an old 89 jersery after reading this. He is quicker, stronger and more explosive. Watch out NFL!!!

4and12to12and4
08-03-2006, 10:45 AM
If this thread does pop up sometime next year, when Fergy is having a good year, I want to get in on the "snide-ing" :?: . I predict 67 catches for 675 yards and 6 TD's. I know that's not a great year, but it is a good year. I am also predicting he catches two touchdown passes that end up game winners. This thread will now go in my 'favorites' column for late-season snide-ing. :cool:

Creepy
08-03-2006, 11:03 AM
The last three years Fergie has been bigger, faster, and ready to break out. If he is getting bigger and faster every year he shouldbe about 250 and a monster LB. It is all word until he doe something.

Since evrybody ios doing predictions, here's mine. For GB Ferguson has no cathes, no yards, and no tds, because he won't be playing in GB.

I never said Martin was a great receiver, just mentioned that his name has popped up regularly in TC notes. As for him being a #7 and Fergie a #2, wasn't Bradford a #3 and Driver a #7? I like the upside right now of Martin than Ferguson. He is makingthe same catches and plpays that Ferguson is making and without 5 years experience.

The only way to keep Ferguson is he needs to show an outstanding TC & pre-season. If he is just a littel ahead of a younger receiver (Martin, Lucas) then keep the other guy, after six years he should be doing better than Jennings in TC.

As for if he plays in GB, won't last the seaosn, he will again have an injury and next year they will right "The 6th annual Ferguson Break-Out Article". until he has some injury

woodbuck27
08-03-2006, 04:05 PM
What's a naboob?

In Canada . It's a brand of coffee but it's spelled differently.

We drop one "O" - either one

Bretsky
08-03-2006, 08:04 PM
""Since evrybody ios doing predictions, here's mine. For GB Ferguson has no cathes, no yards, and no tds, because he won't be playing in GB.""

I'd take that from Ferguson.

It baffles me how he once was a fan favorite after letting us down every year.

Some cheer for the underdog; but when a guy shows up with a big ego/know it all and poor work ethic as a rookie that doesn't sit well with me right off the bat. Still remember the stat that through eight games his rookie year the Fraud was the only player drafted in the top two rounds who was inactive the whole time while not injured.

That being said, the Packers won't cut Fergy; they paid him way the hell too much and will utilize him as a special teams body.

Lare
08-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Ferguson has always been a fan favorite because he was a good special teams player. And for that Sherman rewarded him with a contract extension that paid him like the WR he isn't.

IMO, we've seen all we'll ever see from Ferguson as a WR. We should have traded him to the Eagles last year when we had a chance.