PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for Tramon Williams to get an extention?

RashanGary
05-18-2010, 07:28 PM
I think it is. Tramon has proven to be a really good man corner and a solid zone corner. We play multiple coverages with Capers. Having a solid #2 corner that can play a variety of techniques is very important considering the age of Woodson and the complete uncertainty of Harris.

Tramon is 27, came in as an undrafted free agent and has been good enough that you would be happy with him in the 2nd round, let alone undrafted. He's been paid like the typical ho-hum undrafted player.

I just think it's time. He's a good player, a good citizen and we need him. Nothing has been said, but just reading between the lines, I think it makes sense to do something now.

5 years with a contract worth between 20 and 26 millions based on incentives. 5 million up front.

falco
05-18-2010, 07:40 PM
I agree with everything you just said and expect him to get that contract probably early in the season.

Brando19
05-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Tramon is 27?!? Wow...that is news to me. Yes...I think he deserves a new deal. He is clearly the third best corner on our roster.

falco
05-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Tramon is 27?!? Wow...that is news to me. Yes...I think he deserves a new deal. He is clearly the third best corner on our roster.

2nd best, IMO.

Tony Oday
05-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Play well early and get the rewards

boiga
05-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Second vs third depends on whether Al comes back at full strength. Nevertheless, the Packers will pay Tramon. Unless Pat Lee comes on strong, our depth at CB is still suspect, which makes Tramon a valuable asset.

However, the exact timing of that may depend on whether the CBA gets ironed out. because the 30% rule could be a major impediment in structuring a new deal for him.

Does anyone know what he was paid in 2009?

Mazzin
05-18-2010, 11:58 PM
No way they let him walk, just don't forsee that happening. He should be signed and I do like the contract. We REALLY need one more with C. Wood getting up there in age.

bobblehead
05-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Second vs third depends on whether Al comes back at full strength. Nevertheless, the Packers will pay Tramon. Unless Pat Lee comes on strong, our depth at CB is still suspect, which makes Tramon a valuable asset.

However, the exact timing of that may depend on whether the CBA gets ironed out. because the 30% rule could be a major impediment in structuring a new deal for him.

Does anyone know what he was paid in 2009?

I think he signed for an even million and I ate crow. I said he was holding out for a big deal, not the 1-1.5 million he should sign for, then he signed for about a million. I commend him, he did the right thing and deserves a very good, but not huge deal right now.

Tarlam!
05-19-2010, 04:46 AM

Excellent point, Bioga. Totally forgot this aspect when I was nodding emphatically whilst reading Justin's initial post. Packers couldn't do that deal no matter how much he's earned it and no matter how much they want to.

Sucky situation!

Fritz
05-19-2010, 07:13 AM
It is. On the one hand the temptation is to go all out this season - no cap - but the talk of imposing post-CBA penalties on teams that do that this year has to get teams thinking before they start spending like drunken sailors.

Tramon Williams is a valuable corner. He reminds me a little of Craig Newsome, only shorter, I think.

hoosier
05-19-2010, 08:23 AM
It is. On the one hand the temptation is to go all out this season - no cap - but the talk of imposing post-CBA penalties on teams that do that this year has to get teams thinking before they start spending like drunken sailors.

Tramon Williams is a valuable corner. He reminds me a little of Craig Newsome, only shorter, I think.

That's funny because when I think of Williams, Newsome is one of the last Packers that comes to mind as a comparison. Williams's strength are his quickness and speed whereas Newsome, even before he hurt his knee, was on the slower side and thrived on physical play and sound technique. His performance against Jerry Rice in the 1995 divisional playoff game in SF was vintage Newsome: Rice often couldn't get off the LOS and ended the game, if I remember correctly, with zero yards after catch.

That said, I fully expect TT to play out the hand and wait to initiate serious talks about extension until midway through the season when it becomes clearer how Williams fits into their medium range plans. If he is the starter at LCB at the halfway point of the 2010 season, I would expect the Packers to approach him about an extension. If Harris has pushed him into the nickle back role, I would expect the extension talks to be put on hold till the offseason.

Fritz
05-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Your impressions are probably more accurate than mine, Hoosier. Williams is different - I was thinking I suppose (and I didn't specify this so my bad) about their talent level. Good, solid players. Not great, but good.

Having said that, doesn't Williams already have extensions? Or is that really his own hair?

hoosier
05-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Your impressions are probably more accurate than mine, Hoosier. Williams is different - I was thinking I suppose (and I didn't specify this so my bad) about their talent level. Good, solid players. Not great, but good.

Having said that, doesn't Williams already have extensions? Or is that really his own hair?

Before he got hurt early in 1997 it looked to me like Newsome was going to be one of the better CBs, if not the very best, to play for the Packers since Willie Buchanon. I think he would have soon surpassed Doug Evans, who in 1996-97 was starting to get recognition as a "shut down" corner. If Williams could rise to Newsome's level as an undrafted FA that would a tremendous find for the Packers.

MichiganPackerFan
05-19-2010, 09:03 AM
I have a hard time recalling, was it the knee that ended Newsome's career? What was the story there?

falco
05-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Before he got hurt early in 1997 it looked to me like Newsome was going to be one of the better CBs, if not the very best, to play for the Packers since Willie Buchanon. I think he would have soon surpassed Doug Evans, who in 1996-97 was starting to get recognition as a "shut down" corner. The fact that Williams has risen to Newsome's level as an undrafted FA makes him a tremendous find for the Packers.

Fixed - :lol:

hoosier
05-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Before he got hurt early in 1997 it looked to me like Newsome was going to be one of the better CBs, if not the very best, to play for the Packers since Willie Buchanon. I think he would have soon surpassed Doug Evans, who in 1996-97 was starting to get recognition as a "shut down" corner. The fact that Williams has risen to Newsome's level as an undrafted FA makes him a tremendous find for the Packers.

Fixed - :lol:

I don't think Tramon is quite there yet, at least not consistently.

MPF: Newsome tore up his knee in the season opener (MNF at home against Bears) and was really never the same after that. He came back and started in '98 but was a step slower and for someone who was never especially fast to begin with that loss of speed was probably impossible to overcome. He got banged around in '98 (suffered a really gruesome sounding deep laceration on his knee from the artificial surface in Minnesota) and then got traded to the Niners for a bag of chips or something like that.

MichiganPackerFan
05-19-2010, 11:02 AM
MPF: Newsome tore up his knee in the season opener (MNF at home against Bears) and was really never the same after that. He came back and started in '98 but was a step slower and for someone who was never especially fast to begin with that loss of speed was probably impossible to overcome. He got banged around in '98 (suffered a really gruesome sounding deep laceration on his knee from the artificial surface in Minnesota) and then got traded to the Niners for a bag of chips or something like that.

Did we at least get Doritos or Ruffles? Or did we have to settle for the generic :(

Fritz
05-19-2010, 11:16 AM
He lasted until the latter half of the first round because he wasn't a speed merchant at the corner, but Newsome was really a fine corner before he got hurt. After that, it was all over for him, really.

mission
05-19-2010, 03:05 PM
He lasted until the latter half of the first round because he wasn't a speed merchant at the corner, but Newsome was really a fine corner before he got hurt. After that, it was all over for him, really.

I loved Newsome. At ASU his senior year, he didn't give up a single catch that resulted in a first down or TD. Pretty crazy if ya ask me.

Bretsky
05-19-2010, 07:24 PM

Interesting to bring Newsome up; I think when healthy he was more talented and going to be better than Williams.

I actually would compare Newsome to Al Harris.

Both solid tacklers, great form, and ok speed. Technique wife very strong. Not a ton of ball skills in terms of getting those picks......(I think Williams does have more skill in that area) but much more consistent play then we've seen from Tramon lately

Fred's Slacks
05-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Technique wife very strong.

That's quite a coincidence that they both had very strong wives. :lol:

bobblehead
05-19-2010, 08:49 PM

Interesting to bring Newsome up; I think when healthy he was more talented and going to be better than Williams.

Both solid tacklers, great form, and ok speed. Technique wife very strong. Not a ton of ball skills in terms of getting those picks......(I think Williams does have more skill in that area) but much more consistent play then we've seen from Tramon lately

I have to ask....were you distracted when you mention wife technique and ball skills in consecutive sentences??

packerbacker1234
05-22-2010, 06:10 AM
It is about time he got one I would say. We clearly have no one behind him, and who knows how long harris is really going to last. Even if he has some amazing comeback and returns to probowl type form, he is getting up in age so who knows how long that can last. 2 years? 3? It's just a guessing game at this point. Besides, everytime we face elite QB's they seem to like the spread the field against our 3-4, so we are going to have 3 CB's on the field quite a bit this year.

Bretsky
05-22-2010, 10:34 AM

I have to ask....were you distracted when you mention wife technique and ball skills in consecutive sentences??

Apparently my mind was floating around there :lol:

Fritz
05-22-2010, 11:23 AM

Apparently my mind was floating around there :lol:

Technique can be important but it really comes down to desire.

retailguy
05-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Tramon is going to have to wait a while, I'd think. I'll be very surprised if anything gets done before mid season, and then, only if he has another great year.