PDA

View Full Version : Will JH make the team?

Tony Oday
05-19-2010, 07:51 PM
What do you think?

Tony Oday
05-19-2010, 07:52 PM
Im going with BUST and HOPE I have to eat Crow this year because I am dead wrong!

ThunderDan
05-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Geez, I really want to vote he makes it but I think he gets cut is more realistic!

Fred's Slacks
05-19-2010, 07:56 PM
I badly want to say he will make it. But at this point you gotta believe the odds are not in his favor. Even if he's healthy, he hasn't played for a couple years and he has some real competition. Its long odds for JH but I'll root for him. I hope he makes it.

RashanGary
05-19-2010, 08:22 PM
I voted no. I want to be optimistic, but I can't be.

Joemailman
05-19-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm saying yes. I think MM used him too much that first week of camp last year, which may have contributed to the reoccurence of the back injury. Raji was not in camp yet, Jolly got hurt the first day, and Jenkins was limited because he was coming off off-season surgery. So they gave Harrell a ton of reps. I think they'll be smarter this time. I think they'll probably keep at least one more defensive lineman this year than last anyway, so if they feel there is any chance they can get something out of Harrell, they'll keep him.

bobblehead
05-19-2010, 08:44 PM
I badly want to say he will make it. But at this point you gotta believe the odds are not in his favor. Even if he's healthy, he hasn't played for a couple years and he has some real competition. Its long odds for JH but I'll root for him. I hope he makes it.

Not playing won't hurt him. If the back is healthy and he can play he makes the sqaud and I'll go so far as to say he contributes. The back holding up is the only real question.

hoosier
05-19-2010, 08:56 PM
I predict he goes off the deep end in the Favre thread and gets banished. Oops, wrong JH.

Will suffer some kind of debilitating injury in camp and will never be heard from again.

Joemailman
05-19-2010, 09:16 PM
I predict he goes off the deep end in the Favre thread and gets banished. Oops, wrong JH.

Will suffer some kind of debilitating injury in camp and will never be heard from again.

What are the odds that JH (Packerrats) goes off the deep end on the same day JH (Packers) throws his back out?

Or...JH (Packerrats) talks admirably about Favre and JH (Packers) starts 16 games for the Packers... Nah.

Guiness
05-19-2010, 10:08 PM
I voted No

I think this year he is evaluated instead of just being given a free pass, and comes up short. I wouldn't be surprised to see him picked up by someone else and make their squad though.

Tarlam!
05-20-2010, 12:52 AM
I say he makes it. TT has blown his whistle often, so it's obvious he's a believer. TT has lauded JH(Packers) as a high character guy. I still have JH's oath wringing in my ears that he would prove to all Packer fans TT was right in selecting him. Nothing like a 4 year old chip on your shoulder to get you motivated!

Go Harrell, Go Pack!

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-20-2010, 01:36 AM

It is because you haven't changed your name since we drafted him. The Greg Jennings name lasted a year and so did the Nick Collinsname. Both are pro bowlers now. Change your name and Harrell will start making it happen.

I suggest you change your name to Morgan Burnett!!! But only for a year :)

So I vote no until JH changes his name.

Bretsky
05-20-2010, 06:56 AM
Well he's had time to rest up; three years worth

Bretsky
05-20-2010, 07:17 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/94359179.html

Tarlam!
05-20-2010, 10:38 AM
After the Packers’ season-ending playoff loss at Arizona on Jan. 10, Harrell went home to Tennessee for one week, then returned in late January – even though his teammates didn’t report for the offseason program until mid-March.

Source: http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=3544&section_id=40

I really hope his fortunes turn around.

bobblehead
05-20-2010, 10:39 AM

It is because you haven't changed your name since we drafted him. The Greg Jennings name lasted a year and so did the Nick Collinsname. Both are pro bowlers now. Change your name and Harrell will start making it happen.

I vote that we change him to Cyril Obiozer. If he flops no biggie, but if he changes it next year, we could use an OLB.

retailguy
05-20-2010, 12:24 PM

I vote that we change him to Cyril Obiozer. If he flops no biggie, but if he changes it next year, we could use an OLB.

I vote that he change his name to Ted Thomspon.

rbaloha1
05-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Talented big man that should be part of the rotation.

swede
05-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Talented big man that should be part of the rotation.

I think in Kenyan that is the name Kabeer Gbaja Assingeara

red
05-20-2010, 06:30 PM
at this point i have no hope for him staying healthy. he will get injured again, and will be cut

and after this draft it seems like he has become expendable

Pugger
05-21-2010, 12:52 AM
At this point if we can get this guy to contribute this season that will be a bonus. How unfortunate for this young man to be the brunt of so much animosity by some fans. I can understand folks blasting TT for drafting him so high with his injury history but I think it is unfair for fans to pile on the hate towards the player as well. No player wants to be injured, especially with a bad back! He very well may have issues with his back the rest of his days.

Tarlam!
05-21-2010, 01:01 AM
Agree with Pugger. Rock Gullikson screwed his back up with his free weights lifting regime, and he was fired because of it. That's little consolation for Harrell.

The only blame Harrell can take is showing up disastrously out of shape for camp his rookie year and the year Gullickson broke his back. According to TT, Harrell has done everything in his power to get on the field.

packrulz
05-21-2010, 05:26 AM
I vote yes, but they need to ease him into shape, he's been out a long time. He needs to play if he wants a new contract.

Bretsky
05-21-2010, 05:51 AM
At this point if we can get this guy to contribute this season that will be a bonus. How unfortunate for this young man to be the brunt of so much animosity by some fans. I can understand folks blasting TT for drafting him so high with his injury history but I think it is unfair for fans to pile on the hate towards the player as well. No player wants to be injured, especially with a bad back! He very well may have issues with his back the rest of his days.

All good Points :!:

Upnorth
05-21-2010, 10:34 AM
If he can make it back, stay on the roster and not get hurt, just imagine what he could do once he really gets into the swing of things by mid / end season.
However; if, imagine and hope should not be things we hang our hats on. I really doubt he stays on (but I hope I am wrong).

Fritz
05-21-2010, 12:12 PM
I was disturbed to read that Spitz had the same kind of back surgery Harrell did...

I vote yes for Harrell. Go Justin! Show 'em!

Truth is, it all depends on his health.

Carolina_Packer
05-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Who doesn't hope he's healthy? The Pack have paid a lot of money for little or no production. Sucks for him, the Packers organization and fans. If he's healthy, but not able to make the team or contribute in any positive way, he's a bust and needs to be cut. Not making the team because of lingering injuries would be a shame and on some level would have to be considered a bust, just from a pick/production standpoint, but wouldn't be because he wasn't up to the challenge. I hope he's healthy and has a chip on his shoulder this TC. We could use him. It would almost like having signed a free agent if he can contribute something positive.

Packers4Ever
05-22-2010, 09:11 PM

What's done, is done. After a whole lot of thinking, I have to go along with
you, Pugger, and let the boy have this chance one more time. I keep
thinking, what if we follow through and he turns out to have a year that's
very encouraging and he's able to improve, we'd all wonder - what if we'd voted no ?

TennesseePackerBacker
05-22-2010, 10:30 PM
I voted yes, mainly because of the Tennessee homer in me. I'd just love to see what this guy can do if (big if) he could just stay healthy. He has the work ethic and potential necessary to be an NFL starter.

Brohm
05-22-2010, 11:18 PM
I posted yes. As tough as back injuries are, if he did not have a reasonable chance to come back and have a productive career, he would be retired just like J.Thompson. I would also say last chance as well (for the back).

Pugger
05-23-2010, 07:52 AM
I'm sure you guys read other forums but the venom I read from fans on other sites directed at Harrell is shameful. I can think of only one other current player on the roster who gets blasted for not living up to his draft status and that is Hawk. Some folks crucify a guy if he isn't all-world only because the kid was taken in the first round. Crucify TT but not the player.

Fritz
05-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Who doesn't hope he's healthy? The Pack have paid a lot of money for little or no production. Sucks for him, the Packers organization and fans. If he's healthy, but not able to make the team or contribute in any positive way, he's a bust and needs to be cut. Not making the team because of lingering injuries would be a shame and on some level would have to be considered a bust, just from a pick/production standpoint, but wouldn't be because he wasn't up to the challenge. I hope he's healthy and has a chip on his shoulder this TC. We could use him. It would almost like having signed a free agent if he can contribute something positive.

As long as he doesn't have a chip in his shoulder...

Carolina_Packer
05-23-2010, 04:34 PM

As long as he doesn't have a chip in his shoulder...

Fritz, you just jinxed him! Damn!!

pbmax
05-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Its never a good idea to mention the word "chip" to anyone with a back injury.

Question: Is Justin Harrell a bust on par with Jamal Reynolds? The GBPG said this in their most recent article on him.

Three things. First, he was the 16th selection not the 10th. Second, Jamal Reynolds didn't belong on an NFL roster at any point in his career. Third, when he has played, Harrell has shown he has the physical skills to succeed, probably to start (at least prior to the injury-he was elevated over both Corey Williams and Jolly).

So I leave it to you: are these busts equal? A lot of games played poorly or some nice plays in the few games you have been healthy enough to play in.

bobblehead
05-24-2010, 01:02 AM

Question: Is Justin Harrell a bust on par with Jamal Reynolds? The GBPG said this in their most recent article on him.

Three things. First, he was the 16th selection not the 10th. Second, Jamal Reynolds didn't belong on an NFL roster at any point in his career. Third, when he has played, Harrell has shown he has the physical skills to succeed, probably to start (at least prior to the injury-he was elevated over both Corey Williams and Jolly).

So I leave it to you: are these busts equal? A lot of games played poorly or some nice plays in the few games you have been healthy enough to play in.
Plus we actually traded up for Reynolds....giving up extra to get the bust makes it worse.

Lurker64
05-24-2010, 02:15 AM

Reynolds was a much bigger bust than Harrell. Unlike Reynolds, Harrell hasn't been actively bad when he was playing. Harrell's contribution to the Packers has been minuscule, but positive. Reynolds contributed nothing positive to the Packers.

hoosier
05-24-2010, 07:55 AM

Plus we actually traded up for Reynolds....giving up extra to get the bust makes it worse.

Not exactly. Wolf traded Hasselbeck and #17 (turned into Steve Hutchinson) for #10, which basically means they traded Hasselbeck for a mid-2nd round pick and that Reynolds is associated with one of the most (but not the most) lopsided bad trades in Packer history.

I say Reynolds is a far bigger bust. I don't think you can really label someone like Harrell or Murphy--guys who clearly showed the talent to play in the NFL--in the same category as Reynolds or Mandarich. Harrell was arguably a high risk pick because of his injury history but it's not even clear that his injuries as a Packer have anything to do with his problems in college.

Smidgeon
05-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Is there precedent for someone being injured for the first three years of being in the NFL yet still overcoming the injuries, coming back, and having a solid, lengthy career? Where is history on this one?

hoosier
05-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Aside from Rocky Bleier I have no idea if anyone has ever made something of himself in the NLF after missing his first three years. But I think it is safe to say that history is on the wrong side of Justin Harrell.

Patler
05-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Aside from Rocky Bleier I have no idea if anyone has ever made something of himself in the NLF after missing his first three years. But I think it is safe to say that history is on the wrong side of Justin Harrell.

The Packer's own Mike Flanagan played even less than Harrell his first three years due to injury.