PDA

View Full Version : A Jolly good fool

Sparkey
05-21-2010, 05:19 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13422774/judge-amends-tightens-bond-restrictions-on-packers-jolly?tag=globalNav.nfl;headlines

Judge amends, tightens bond restrictions on Packers' Jolly...

red
05-21-2010, 05:23 PM
another court case that should have ended a long time ago

jolly doesn't seem like the smartest or most honest person in the world after this ruling. can't blame the judge for the new restrictions

Joemailman
05-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Wouldn't be shocked if Jolly never plays again for the Packers. Moving Pickett to DE is about seeing if he is a viable replacement for Jolly. At best, Jolly probably gets suspended for the first 4 games this year anyway. TT may just decide he doesn't want a jerk like this on the team despite his obvious talent.

packrulz
05-21-2010, 06:53 PM
May 21 5:32 ET
DE Johnny Jolly is an unsigned restricted free agent with a first-round tender ($2.521 million). The Packers could decide to withdraw their tender at any time, making Jolly an unrestricted free agent.

rbaloha1
05-21-2010, 06:54 PM
JJ was a risk even in round 6. Its unfortunate JJ still has too much "hood" in him.

Just another C. Hunt and Joe Johnson.

Aloha.

pbmax
05-21-2010, 07:34 PM
JJ was a risk even in round 6. Its unfortunate JJ still has too much "hood" in him.

Aloha.
He has been better for the Packers than Johnson. And far less disappointing than Hunt. Hunt only ever played well in his contract year.

Lurker64
05-21-2010, 09:33 PM

Aloha.
He has been better for the Packers than Johnson. And far less disappointing than Hunt. Hunt only ever played well in his contract year.

And unlike Joe Johnson and C. Hunt we never spent much money on Jolly.

Johnson we signed to a 6 year $33 million contract, of which we got 11 games over two years.

Hunt we signed to a 6 year $25 million contract, from which we got very little.

In his four years with the Packers we have paid Jolly $369,600; $365,160; $448,120; and $535,910. This year we are offering to pay him $2.521 million, which he has not agreed to and the Packers can rescind at any moment. If we to withdraw the tender immediately, we certainly would have already gotten our money's and our draft pick's worth out of what we've already gotten from Jolly.

rbaloha1
05-21-2010, 09:42 PM

Aloha.

And unlike Joe Johnson and C. Hunt we never spent much money on Jolly.

Johnson we signed to a 6 year $33 million contract, of which we got 11 games over two years.

Hunt we signed to a 6 year $25 million contract, from which we got very little.

In his four years with the Packers we have paid Jolly $369,600; $365,160; $448,120; and $535,910. This year we are offering to pay him $2.521 million, which he has not agreed to and the Packers can rescind at any moment. If we to withdraw the tender immediately, we certainly would have already gotten our money's and our draft pick's worth out of what we've already gotten from Jolly.

Agreed that the Packers received their money's worth from JJ. My point is more the ending -- bad character stuff.

JJ batted down many passes and played well. Now is the time for JH to step-up.

mraynrand
05-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Looks like 'Ole JJ might be needin' the services of 'Ole Cleedeeus' moving service!

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Cleedeeusinuhaultruck.jpg

Guiness
05-21-2010, 10:20 PM
This seems like a bit of an over-reaction, IMO.

He wasn't actually caught doing anything - he just had his picture on a flyer? They didn't even prove he violated parole!!!

Sure, he was dumb to get involved in the enterprise, but this seems like a pretty harsh slap for what he did.

MadScientist
05-21-2010, 11:43 PM
This seems like a bit of an over-reaction, IMO.

He wasn't actually caught doing anything - he just had his picture on a flyer? They didn't even prove he violated parole!!!

Sure, he was dumb to get involved in the enterprise, but this seems like a pretty harsh slap for what he did.

Jolly's actions smack of flouting the ruling. Ignore a judge at your own peril, and if you do it publicly, expect the hammer to come down hard.

Fritz
05-22-2010, 11:26 AM
What are the chances - realistically - of the Packers signing and then trading Jolly to someone willing to take a chance? Say, oh, y'know, the Raiders?

If it's possible what would realistic compensation be?

retailguy
05-22-2010, 11:35 AM
What are the chances - realistically - of the Packers signing and then trading Jolly to someone willing to take a chance? Say, oh, y'know, the Raiders?

If it's possible what would realistic compensation be?

A bag of footballs?

red
05-22-2010, 01:42 PM
it wasn't just the pictures that got him in trouble

his lawyer shows up on his trial date and says the trial needs to be rescheduled because jolly was having emergency surgery to have his appendix removed. two days later this party happened and the pictures came out

i'm sure the judge feels he was lied to and is furious

mraynrand
05-22-2010, 03:16 PM

his lawyer shows up on his trial date and says the trial needs to be rescheduled because jolly was having emergency surgery to have his appendix removed. two days later this party happened and the pictures came out

I've removed an appendix at a party. The judge should cool down.

pbmax
05-22-2010, 03:22 PM

He had already had his appendix removed, but was still in the hospital at the time of the court date. The lawyer had a letter from the doctor explaining the complications, and he was released at the end of that day, according to Bedard.

The pictures were of other events, they did not establish whether he went to the party he was supposed to host at this hearing. His lawyer refused to answer that question when asked by reporters. Its possible the event was scheduled some time ago, but by not answering the question, it seems like he may have gone, imbibing or not.

The only smoking gun would be the report of pictures showing him not just at a party, but holding an alcoholic drink. How you can tell that by looking at a glass is debatable. But if he is holding a bottle of Patron or something, he is going to in a world of hurt.

He has also passed his drug and alcohol tests so far, but the hair follicle will give them a closer look at a longer time period. There was no mention of when he is test was.

MJZiggy
05-22-2010, 06:05 PM

He had already had his appendix removed, but was still in the hospital at the time of the court date. The lawyer had a letter from the doctor explaining the complications, and he was released at the end of that day, according to Bedard.

The pictures were of other events, they did not establish whether he went to the party he was supposed to host at this hearing. His lawyer refused to answer that question when asked by reporters. Its possible the event was scheduled some time ago, but by not answering the question, it seems like he may have gone, imbibing or not.

The only smoking gun would be the report of pictures showing him not just at a party, but holding an alcoholic drink. How you can tell that by looking at a glass is debatable. But if he is holding a bottle of Patron or something, he is going to in a world of hurt.

He has also passed his drug and alcohol tests so far, but the hair follicle will give them a closer look at a longer time period. There was no mention of when he is test was.Actually, I think that depends on how long his hair is.

Joemailman
06-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Looks like the prosecutors are turning up the heat. I wonder if they really have the goods on him, or if they're trying to intimidate him into accepting a plea bargain. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/95452154.html

MadScientist
06-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Looks like the prosecutors are turning up the heat. I wonder if they really have the goods on him, or if they're trying to intimidate him into accepting a plea bargain. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/95452154.html

If they had serious information, they would add to the charges, instead of bringing the more serious allegations to the sentencing phase. Sounds like they have an unreliable witness in the can that they will have testify. The guy is likely not believable enough to convict, but it might be enough to make the sentence longer, if convicted.

My take is that they are trying to change the balance of the equation for Jolly. With just the original charge, he really was looking at probation (plus suspension) if convicted or if he pleas, so there was no reason plea. They are trying to make it look like he will get serious jail time if convicted, vs probation (plus suspension) for a plea.

Fritz
06-03-2010, 11:33 AM

He has also passed his drug and alcohol tests so far, but the hair follicle will give them a closer look at a longer time period. There was no mention of when he is test was.

Judge, that was water in that bottle. Swear.

3irty1
06-03-2010, 04:41 PM
So he's guilty of mixing cough syrup and Dr. Pepper and then having his picture on some flyer for a party? You guys call that bad character? Jolly is a tard but he's not a bad guy.

Sparkey
06-03-2010, 06:05 PM
I have no idea what the truth is. However, it seems, the DA in Houston is making this into more than just possession. Sounds like they are going after him for being a dealer/financier of a dealing operation, or just upping the ante to get him to agree to a plea deal.

http://www.nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37476715/sports/player_news

MJZiggy
06-03-2010, 06:32 PM
I think trying to punish him for having a picture on a flyer is ludicrous. Dear Mr. Prosecutor. Please prove to me the date that photo was taken. Dear Mr. Jolly, quit being such a damned fool!

Joemailman
06-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Jolly's trial set for July 30, 1st day of training camp. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/95774504.html

Gonna be a tumultuous summer for the Packers, by the looks of things. MM cannot be happy.

Tarlam!
06-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Geez, that really sucks.

pbmax
06-07-2010, 02:40 PM
I have no idea what the truth is. However, it seems, the DA in Houston is making this into more than just possession. Sounds like they are going after him for being a dealer/financier of a dealing operation, or just upping the ante to get him to agree to a plea deal.

http://www.nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37476715/sports/player_news
Most of previous actions and dealing innuendo can only be brought forward at the time for sentencing. Some of the worst of it is based on the word of an incarcerated offender, basically someone who might have a lot to gain (or avoid) if they cooperate.

So it may not have an impact on the trial. But I have read as you surmise that it could be construed as a threat about what they plan if they get a guilty plea.

pbmax
06-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Well, amend that thought. The prosecutor has indicated he will use the incarcerated man's testimony to impeach Jolly, should he or the defense team make a claim that the DA thinks can be rebutted by their witness. So he may make a court appearance after all and not just be available for the punishment hearing should Jolly be convicted.

Pugger
06-08-2010, 01:10 PM
I find it telling that it is taking this long for this to go to trial. Yes, the justice system can be slow but this is ridiculous. I suspect if the DA had a strong case we wouldn't still be sitting here waiting. It's getting almost to the shit or get off the pot time and get this issue resolved one way or another.

get louder at lambeau
06-08-2010, 01:27 PM
The prosecutor has indicated he will use the incarcerated man's testimony to impeach Jolly, should he or the defense team make a claim that the DA thinks can be rebutted by their witness.

I'm not familiar with the meaning of the word "impeach" in that context. Does it just mean that if Jolly goes on the stand and testifies, that the prosecutor may call the witness to give a rebuttal that Jolly is lying?

Joemailman
06-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Johnny Jolly has been excused from next week's mandatory minicamp.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/96521569.html

McCarthy confirmed Johnny Jolly signed his tender, but he has been excused from next week's mandatory mini-camp. "I have excused Johnny from mini-camp next week," McCarthy said. "We feel it's important for him to concentrate on his legal situation. There's a lot going on, and he needs to focus and make sure he has everything in line. These decisions that are going to be made legally will affect every aspect of his life, most importantly his personal life and then his professional life."

Actually, I suspect MM doesn't want the distraction associated with Jolly's situation at the minicamp. Besides, it makes sense to give guys like Neal as many reps as possible since there's a good chance Jolly won't be available at the start of the season.

Fritz
06-17-2010, 12:09 PM

McCarthy confirmed Johnny Jolly signed his tender, but he has been excused from next week's mandatory mini-camp. "I have excused Johnny from mini-camp next week," McCarthy said. "We feel it's important for him to concentrate on his legal situation. There's a lot going on, and he needs to focus and make sure he has everything in line. These decisions that are going to be made legally will affect every aspect of his life, most importantly his personal life and then his professional life."

Actually, I suspect MM doesn't want the distraction associated with Jolly's situation at the minicamp. Besides, it makes sense to give guys like Neal as many reps as possible since there's a good chance Jolly won't be available at the start of the season.

I wonder if this is the underlying reason. Given Jolly's uncertain availability, why not let Neal and that other pick suck up a lot of reps, to get them familiar and see what they can do? You already know what Jolly can do. Let him stay away for that reason.

The stated reason I don't get. You don't go to trial for three more weeks or so, so why is that a distraction for Jolly? It's been postponed a million times already.

get louder at lambeau
06-17-2010, 12:21 PM

I wonder if this is the underlying reason. Given Jolly's uncertain availability, why not let Neal and that other pick suck up a lot of reps, to get them familiar and see what they can do? You already know what Jolly can do. Let him stay away for that reason.

The stated reason I don't get. You don't go to trial for three more weeks or so, so why is that a distraction for Jolly? It's been postponed a million times already.

Not only Neal and the other young guys, but also Ryan Pickett. He may well be the starter on the left side now that they moved Raji inside.

pbmax
06-17-2010, 11:35 PM
The prosecutor has indicated he will use the incarcerated man's testimony to impeach Jolly, should he or the defense team make a claim that the DA thinks can be rebutted by their witness.

I'm not familiar with the meaning of the word "impeach" in that context. Does it just mean that if Jolly goes on the stand and testifies, that the prosecutor may call the witness to give a rebuttal that Jolly is lying?
It means to call into question. In this specific context, the Prosecutor may not be able to call the inmate as a witness as he had no direct bearing on the case (he was in jail at the time, I think). But if Jolly says something like "I never have had any dealings with codeine laced soft drinks..." then the inmate could be called to impeach Jolly's truthfulness on that issue.