PDA

View Full Version : People In the News - YOUR Reaction !!

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 09:01 AM
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/images/nsimages/nsmel.jpg

People in the news:

The Official "Mel Gibson" Mug Shot after his recent arrest for a DUI.

Mel Gibson's latest apology

By AP

Wed, August 2, 2006

There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark. I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a DUI charge.

I am a public person, and when I say something, either articulated and thought out, or blurted out in a moment of insanity, my words carry weight in the public arena. As a result, I must assume personal responsibility for my words and apologize directly to those who have been hurt and offended by those words.

The tenets of what I profess to believe necessitate that I exercise charity and tolerance as a way of life. Every human being is God's child, and if I wish to honour my God I have to honour his children. But please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith.

I'm not just asking for forgiveness. I would like to take it one step further, and meet with leaders in the Jewish community, with whom I can have a one on one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing.

I have begun an ongoing program of recovery and what I am now realizing is that I cannot do it alone. I am in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display, and I am asking the Jewish community, whom I have personally offended, to help me on my journey through recovery. Again, I am reaching out to the Jewish community for its help. I know there will be many in that community who will want nothing to do with me, and that would be understandable. But I pray that that door is not forever closed.

This is not about a film. Nor is it about artistic licence. This is about real life and recognizing the consequences hurtful words can have. It's about existing in harmony in a world that seems to have gone mad.

In addition:

Mel Gibson has gone into rehab in a fresh attempt to win his battle against alcoholism.

The 'Lethal Weapon' star launched into a drunken tirade, during which he allegedly made anti-Semitic comments after being stopped by police in Malibu, California, on Friday (28.07.06).

Mel's spokesman Alan Neirob:

"He has definitely entered a programme."

However, he refused to say where the rehab facility is or how long the actor will remain there.

Meanwhile, the 'Passion of the Christ' director has apologised for his actions. He said: "After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Some people claimed that "Passion of the Christ" was anti-semetic. I don't know what to think about the accusation, that movie is too violent for my tender eyes to see.

But it gives one pause when Gibson went on famous tirade, ""Fucking Jews, the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world", and asking police officers if they were Jews. Obviously the guy is screwed-up, that's not just "the beer talking". He hates jews, and I'm not sure some meetings and apologies are going to change what's inside him.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Personally, I don't buy that Passion Of The Christ was anti-semitic. They showed the good side and bad side. There was a crowd of Jews that wanted him crucified, but they also showed many Jews that walked with him on his journey. I thought it was pretty fair. I didn't come out of the movie thinking it portrayed Jews as good or bad. If you haven't seen the movie, I think it's really unfair to to even comment on that issue.

It's too bad that Gibson fell off the wagon. Hopefully, this is a wakeup call, and he doesn't go Robert Downey Jr. on us. I know alcoholics and it's a battle that is never won.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Harvey, why specifically did people say it was anti-semetic?

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 09:50 AM
From Anti-Defamation League
http://www.adl.org/Interfaith/gibson_qa.asp

ADL and Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ"
Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is the basis for ADL's concerns about Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ"?
A. We first learned about Mr. Gibson's plans to make a film based on the final hours of Jesus' life in a New York Times Magazine article that appeared in February 2003. An early version of the script was shared with us. In August 2003, an ADL representative saw a rough cut in Houston. On January 21, we saw a version of the film at a screening in Orlando, Florida. We had hoped to see the film at Mr. Gibson's invitation, but we have had our requests denied, so we viewed it at a pastors' convention, at which Mr. Gibson was present.

Q. What was your impression of the film?
A. This film, which was theatrically released in the U.S. on Ash Wednesday, February 25, 2004, contains the same problematic aspects as earlier versions. We were saddened and pained to find that "The Passion of the Christ" continues its unambiguous portrayal of Jews as being responsible for the death of Jesus. There is no question in this film about who is responsible. At every single opportunity, Mr. Gibson's film reinforces the notion that the Jewish authorities and the Jewish mob are the ones ultimately responsible for the Crucifixion.

Q. ADL has said the film could fuel anti-Semitism. How so?
A. We fear the consequences of this film. There will be many people who are not so familiar with the Gospel narratives and might believe that everything they see on the film derives directly from the New Testament. Much of what is on the screen is Mr. Gibson's artistic vision and finds its genesis in extra-Biblical sources. We are also concerned about those who already are disposed unfavorably toward Jews and will use this to fan the flames of hatred.

Q. Mel Gibson has stated that many people are calling him an anti-Semite. What is ADL's position?
A. ADL and its representatives have never accused Mr. Gibson of being an anti-Semite. We do not know what is in his heart. We only know what he has put on the movie screen. The images there show Romans who behave with compassion toward Jesus. The Roman governor, Pontius Pilate, constantly expresses his reticence to harm Jesus. The Jews, on the other hand, are depicted as blood-thirsty. The Jewish High Priest, Caiaphas, is shown as bullying Pilate, and the hundreds and hundreds of amassed Jews demanding Jesus' death.

Q. Is the film faithful to the Bible and accepted Christian teachings?
A. The script is based upon the Synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark and Luke) and John. But in order to weave together the story, these different texts must be harmonized and holes in the story must be filled in. The Biblical text tries to project a story of faith, but some of the narratives also reflect the growing schism between the Church and the Jewish people. Modern scholars have taught that the Gospel narratives must be taught responsibly. Since the Second Vatican Council of the early 1960's the Catholic Church has taught that the Jews of Jesus' time, as well as the Jews of today cannot be held responsible for the death of Jesus.

Q. Are Jewish fears about the film exaggerated? After all, it is only a movie.
A. It has been said that Mr. Gibson's film represents the greatest tool for evangelization that has ever existed. Indeed, more people will see this film than all the Passion Plays from the Middle Ages to today. It is not just the film in movie theatres that has raised our concern, but the market for DVD copies (no doubt with additional footage and deleted scenes). These will be shown in youth gatherings, religious schools and other places without regard to modern scholarship and teachings. Further, we are concerned about the film's impact in Europe, South America and the Middle East, places where anti-Semitism already exists.

As anti-Semitism increases around the globe, many are using the age-old deicide charge to legitimize and foment hatred against Jews. Our concerns have already become an excuse for an outpouring of anti-Semitism. Since going public with our concerns about the film, ADL and other Jewish organizations have been flooded with hate-filled e-mails, letters and phone calls.

Q. Have you tried to discuss this with Mel Gibson?
A. We have repeatedly tried to reach out to discuss this with Mr. Gibson and Icon Productions, without success.

Q. Who else shares ADL's objections?
A. The concerns are shared by responsible Catholic, Protestant and Jewish theologians, clergy and citizens. A committee of nine Jewish and Catholic scholars studied an early screenplay and unanimously found it to be historically inaccurate, unfaithful to the gospel narratives and to project a uniformly negative picture of Jews. Mr. Gibson and his Icon Productions were aware of and approved of the script study until they received its conclusions.

Q. Did ADL try to censor Mel Gibson?
A. ADL never tried to "censor" the movie. We had requested a process similar to successful projects on the Oberammergau Passion Play and other sensitive artistic productions. ADL urged Mr. Gibson and Icon Productions to consult with interfaith professionals and New Testament experts to ensure a historically accurate and theologically responsible depiction of the crucifixion that is devoid of anti-Semitic dimensions. We asked Mr. Gibson to assume sensitivity and moral responsibility, which are obligations of all good people, and particularly artists who influence many around the world.

Q. Would you ever consider an organized boycott of the the film?
A. ADL does not engage in, nor does it support, boycotts under any circumstances. This policy is informed by the use of boycotts throughout history against the Jewish people and Israel. ADL believes that it can best promote change and raise awareness through making our voice heard.

Q. Is ADL trying to prevent Christians from telling the central story of Christianity?
A. Not at all. The story of the Passion can be told without disparaging the Jewish people. Such an account is mandated by the Catholic Church as a result of the Second Vatican Council, which in 1965 repudiated both the deicide charge and all forms of anti-Semitism in its document, Nostra Aetate. Most Protestant churches followed suit, and since 1965 Christians have worked cooperatively with Jews to correct anti-Semitic interpretations within Christian theology. Aside from theological considerations, artists have a moral and social responsibility to avoid promoting material that may foster hatred, bigotry and anti-Semitism.

Q. What can people do to counter the dangerous effects of anti-Semitic interpretations of passion stories?
A. In light of the controversy that the movie has raised, an effective way to counter its toxic effect is for Jews and Christians in communities around the country to cooperate by educating each other on the biblical history and interpretations accepted by the Catholic and Protestant churches that are free of any anti-Semitic elements.

Q. Is the controversy over the film part of the ideological culture war going on in America?
A. The issues raised by the movie should not pit Jews vs. Christians, liberals vs. conservatives, or secularists vs. religious people. The core issues are whether the movie inaccurately and unjustly portrays Jews as evil, responsible for the crucifixion, and whether such a depiction will re-stimulate old anti-Semitic stereotypes and hatred. The division is between those who want to prevent possible anti-Semitism and prejudice from occurring and those who seem callous to the dangers that the movie may cause.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 09:53 AM
It's too bad that Gibson fell off the wagon. Hopefully, this is a wakeup call, and he doesn't go Robert Downey Jr. on us. I know alcoholics and it's a battle that is never won.

"Old devil rum" blamed again. He may or may not be alchoholic, but this story is of interest because of his anti-semetism. A drunk actor is nothing to write home about.

jack's smirking revenge
08-02-2006, 10:13 AM
It's been a long time since I got excited about anything Mel Gibson has done. It'll take an amazing PR magician to get him out of this mess.

tyler

MadtownPacker
08-02-2006, 10:46 AM
So Mel cant have an opinion? So what if he dont like Jewish people. Probably just mad that they own Hollywood.

Deputy Nutz
08-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Come one people it is not like Mel is a politican or anything. He is a movie star. Trust me do you think all the jewish producers out there would turn down Mel Gibson in their new blockbuster because he went on about jews to some police officers? Hell no, not if it guarantees them millions of dollars in revenue from the flick.

Deputy Nutz
08-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Is it ok to strongly dislike Scientologist? Lets be honest I hate those fuckers, Tom Cruise, forget about seeing his stupid ass in a movie, go jump on a couch you dumbass!

jack's smirking revenge
08-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Come one people it is not like Mel is a politican or anything. He is a movie star. Trust me do you think all the jewish producers out there would turn down Mel Gibson in their new blockbuster because he went on about jews to some police officers? Hell no, not if it guarantees them millions of dollars in revenue from the flick.

Hollywood can turn on someone quite easily..... ABC (i could be wrong on the station) has already cancelled the Holocaust miniseries is Icon studio was producing. They say it was because a script was never developed, but you know it has to do with the fallout of this incident. The cancellation happend the day after the event. It doesn't help that his father denies that the Holocaust happened.

The guy has clout, but who knows what to expect from an artist whose last score was a controversial movie. One event can overshadow a lifetime of success. Not saying that Mel isn't the guy to overcome the current situation, but it will be a challenge.

tyler

Deputy Nutz
08-02-2006, 12:17 PM
I guess, but guys like Mel Gibson and Tom Cruise are a bit bigger though

jack's smirking revenge
08-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Crisis experts: Gibson facing uphill climb
Star is 'at a tipping point right now,' says one

Wednesday, August 2, 2006; Posted: 10:51 a.m. EDT (14:51 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Mel Gibson's Tuesday apology for an anti-Semitic rant after his drunken driving arrest came several days too late, celebrity crisis management experts say.

It was the star's first acknowledgment that he spewed anti-Jewish slurs at Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriff James Mee early Friday -- a tirade that could threaten his career and the December release of his film "Apocalypto," in which he and Disney invested tens of millions of dollars.

"In the first 24 hours, people start forming opinions," said Richard Levick, whose Washington firm represents several celebrity clients. "He has constantly been behind the story and needs to get out front. What he's done through actions is turned perception into reality. People presume he is anti-Semitic."

The cloud of anti-Semitism has followed Gibson since the 2004 film "The Passion of the Christ," which many Jews felt unfairly portrayed Jews' role in the death of Jesus. The issue intensified after interviews with Gibson's father, who called the Holocaust mostly "fiction."

Levick said that while the film became a blockbuster despite the controversy -- or because of it -- this is Gibson's last chance to prove he isn't a bigot.

"Mel Gibson has a very high trust bank with audiences," Levick said. "And that is in jeopardy. This is at a tipping point right now."

InTouch Weekly editor Tom O'Neil told CNN's "American Morning" Tuesday that, if there are any other skeletons in Gibson's past, they're now likely to be revealed.

"This guy's got an army of tabloid reporters on his neck," O'Neil told CNN's Soledad O'Brien. "And he has a dark side that we're just seeing here. We're going to see a lot more things about his life and -- you know, somebody who has held himself up to such a pious standard has further to fall."

O'Neil also observed that, though Gibson may earn forgiveness from fans, obtaining it from his Hollywood colleagues will be more difficult.

"I talked to a top studio executive yesterday who will have to go nameless who said we don't care if he opens an orphanage in Israel on his knees, we're not forgiving this guy. Wow," said O'Neil.

'Show people, not just tell people'
However, in a sign that the Gibson camp gained some ground Tuesday, several Jewish leaders offered reserved praise for Gibson's apology. They said it was an improvement over a statement Gibson issued Saturday that only vaguely referred to "despicable" remarks.

"It addresses the issue, it addresses the substance," said Abraham H. Foxman, national director of the Anti-Defamation League. "I have two caveats. One, it's another publicist statement and makes me a little bit uncomfortable because the publicist issued the statement earlier in the week. To what extent is it a true reflection of Mel Gibson's true feeling? The other issue is two years ago when we dealt with the issue of 'The Passion of the Christ,' the same publicist reached out to me and told me how much Mel Gibson respects me and what kind of good guy he is, and (that) Mel Gibson wants to meet. Well, did I meet you? We never met."

The delay in having Gibson address the issue of anti-Semitism raised questions of insincerity, celebrity handler Michael Sitrick said.

"From the outside looking in," said Sitrick, whose Los Angeles firm represents such troubled clients as talk show host Rush Limbaugh, singer R. Kelly and drummer Tommy Lee. "I would've recommended that he say, 'These remarks that were attributed to me do not represent my beliefs and I am embarrassed and humiliated and upset at myself if those words came out of my mouth when I was drinking.' "

The latest apology, released by Gibson publicist Alan Nierob, was closer to the mark, Sitrick said.

"I want to apologize to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a DUI charge," Tuesday's statement said.

Gibson also said he had begun a recovery program and said he planned to meet with Jewish leaders "to discern the appropriate path for healing."

To rebuild his reputation, Gibson must "show people, not just tell people," Sitrick told CNN.com.

"He has to do things to demonstrate [he's changed]," Sitrick said, which can range from donations to Jewish organizations to participation in tolerance programs, he said.

Sitrick said Gibson is, in some respects, in uncharted territory. "I don't know of a comparable case," he said. He believes Gibson has an uphill battle to recover his reputation -- "there are some people for whom these wounds will never be healed" -- but "it's very early and the jury's still out. ... He's extremely talented and very successful, so [rebuilding] is possible."

Media image consultant Michael Sands, however, dismissed Gibson's apology as a cynical spin falsely attributing Gibson's anti-Semitism to alcohol.

"By Mel coming out with this latest statement, he is grasping for straws," said Sands. "It seems to me he sat around with his publicist and said, 'Hey, what do you think of this?' "

Veteran publicist Michael Levine, who called Gibson's public relations representatives "the best team money can buy," commended Nierob, who said Tuesday he was the only public relations professional assisting Gibson in the matter.

"Today's statement is particularly wise," Levine said. "The best defense is a good offense and the only offense is a relentless one."

The approach taken by Nierob, a vice president at stalwart publicity firm Rogers & Cowan, takes the "four principles of celebrity crisis" into account, Levine said: speed, humility, contrition and personal responsibility.

"If you go with those four things, you generally do pretty well in America," Levine said.

MadtownPacker
08-02-2006, 12:27 PM
You know what??? Im gonna pull a Mel!!

I hate White people! They are responsible for the high cost of suntan lotion!!!

Chester Marcol
08-02-2006, 12:29 PM
It's not like he went on stage and said the most damning thing a celebrity could say, like he was ashamed the president was from his state. I can understand why the Dixie Chicks got boycotted. Mad Max only blamed a religion for the wars in the world. Can't see any repercussion for that. Ofcourse Michael Jackson has gotten off as many times in court as he has at his Cub Scout sleep overs, so maybe this to will blow over. However, I believe the old saying, a drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts.

jack's smirking revenge
08-02-2006, 12:51 PM
It's not like he went on stage and said the most damning thing a celebrity could say, like he was ashamed the president was from his state. I can understand why the Dixie Chicks got boycotted. Mad Max only blamed a religion for the wars in the world. Can't see any repercussion for that. Ofcourse Michael Jackson has gotten off as many times in court as he has at his Cub Scout sleep overs, so maybe this to will blow over. However, I believe the old saying, a drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts.

Considering the Jewish faith spans the globe, his statements have effects that reach farther than the Dixie Chicks criticizing the President. Gibson's movies have to play worldwide in order make studios fat cash. The Dixie Chicks? Nobody really cares outside of this country if they criticize Bush.

I agree with your "drunk man's words" statement though. Alcohol is a great truth syrum.

tyler

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 01:00 PM
So Mel cant have an opinion? So what if he dont like Jewish people. Probably just mad that they own Hollywood.

I can relate. I'm mad that the Mexicans own Packerrats.

jack's smirking revenge
08-02-2006, 02:01 PM
In honor of Nick Nolte, who also was stopped on the PCH under the influence (of something else...), I have changed my profile pic.

Free Columcille!

tyler

woodbuck27
08-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Is it ok to strongly dislike Scientologist? Lets be honest I hate those fuckers, Tom Cruise, forget about seeing his stupid ass in a movie, go jump on a couch you dumbass!

Oh Yea! Right on Nutz.

My take on Cruise isn't complementry.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 02:45 PM
I can understand why the Dixie Chicks got boycotted.

I think boycotts are unproductive. I'm betting the Dixie Chicks actually made money from those boycotts. (Something about no publicity being worse than bad publicity.) Gibson is rich enough to make his own movies. People will boycott them. Then, he'll probably make more money. That's the way it seems to work in Hollywood.

Harlan, I'm not going to argue with you about a movie you didn't watch. I'm not a Jew. I didn't go in with pre-conceived ideas, and I didn't come away thinking the Jews were responsible for the death of Jesus. Maybe if you go in looking for something, you can find it. But as somebody that has no agenda and doesn't care about it really, I didn't come away thinking anything. After the fact, I read that people have said that the scene where the crowd was for crucifying him made Jews look bad. Well, if you didn't have in your head (which I didn't) that the crowd were all Jews, then there was nothing to it. In the same vain then, there were also Jews that supported him, and came up to him as he was being dragged and beaten by the Romans. If the one scene made some Jews look bad, then these scenes made some Jews look good. I think it's much ado about nothing. I could not care any less what some dude on the anti-defamation league says. If he's like the spokespeople for other organizations like that, he's all about drudging up any publicity he can for his cause and being overly protective of his cause. I'm sure you took the protests of the Catholics regarding "Da Vinci Code" very seriously.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Here you go. If you are an alcoholic actor, I suggest you avoid the PCH. Nolte was busted at the same spot that Gibson was busted.
:D

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/packageart/mugshots/noltemug.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 02:50 PM
you don't understand, Nolte was just in character for this photo. brilliant actor, brilliant.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Nolte and Lithgow are very underrated.
:D

MJZiggy
08-02-2006, 03:10 PM
He must have a convertible...Nice hair.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Seriously, that's an all-time classic. He doesn't get the credit he deserves for his comedic genius.

the_idle_threat
08-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Mountain out of a molehill. In 2 weeks, nobody will give a shit about what Mel said, except people who have an axe to grind---that is, people who didn't like Mel in the first place.

Deputy Nutz
08-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Wait a minute. The jews didn't kill Jesus? Oh what the fuck.

the_idle_threat
08-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Turns out it was the Druids.

jack's smirking revenge
08-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Blame it on the pygmies.

tyler

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Turns out it was the Druids.

idle, I will be your agent. or even your straight man, if it's not too humiliating. you are a funny dude!

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Mountain out of a molehill. In 2 weeks, nobody will give a shit about what Mel said, except people who have an axe to grind---that is, people who didn't like Mel in the first place.

he got revealed as being a human being, and not the perfect guy that he pretends to be.

caution: if i say any other goofy stuff tonight, it's cuz I'm a little stoned.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Well, I never bought into the hype of Gibson as Christian spokesperson, but I don't think he's ever insinuated that he's perfect. In fact, he'll tell he's pretty damn flawed.

K-town
08-03-2006, 03:06 PM
To see your favorite celebrity (or most-despised B-lister, or whatever), visit the Smoking Gun for Mugshot fun!

As God is my witness, I will never knowingly rhyme anything again, as long as I live. And this time, I mean it. :oops:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/index.html

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 07:07 AM
Saddam won't enter plea as second trial begins

21/08/2006 7:30:39 AM

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1100000/images/_1100529_desfox300.jpg

A defiant Saddam Hussein refused to enter a plea on charges of genocide and war crimes against Kurds in the 1980s as his second trial got underway Monday.

Former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein looks on during the first day of the Anfal trial in Baghdad's heavily fortified Green Zone on Monday. (AP / Daniel Berehulak)

Saddam and six other defendants are on trial for the crackdown on Kurds in 1987-88 that is believed to have killed tens of thousands.

It was named "Operation Anfal," which is Arabic for "spoils of war."

As the trial began Monday, chief judge Abdullah al-Amiri asked Saddam to identify himself.

"You know me," the 69-year-old ex-Iraqi leader retorted.

When asked if he was innocent or guilty, Saddam replied,

"That would require volumes of books."

The judge entered a not guilty plea on his behalf.

One of Saddam's co-defendants is his cousin, Ali Hassan al- Majid, who allegedly led Operation Anfal. He is known as "Chemical Ali" for allegedly ordering poison gas attacks on Kurds in northern Iraq.

Majid was also defiant Monday. Entering the courtroom on a cane and wearing a red headscarf, he proudly identified himself as "Fighting comrade First Major Gen. Pilot Ali Hassan al-Majid.''

Then the prosecution opened its case by saying that Saddam ordered the launch of the Anfal campaign.

"The goal was clear -- to target the people of Kurdistan through killings, forced migration, persecution and denying them their personal freedoms,'' the prosecutor said.

The defendants are accused of using prohibited mustard gas and nerve agents against Kurds, who say their villages were razed in the crackdown.

The campaign was aimed at driving Kurds from their homes from large rural areas along the border with Iran. Saddam justified the operation by saying Kurdish rebels had been helping Iran in its war with Iraq.

All seven co-defendants are facing charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity for their role in Anfal.

Saddam and Majid face the additional much graver charge of genocide.

A separate investigation will be looking into the notorious gassing attack in March of 1988 on Halabja that killed 5,000 Kurds.

The proceedings are taking place in the same courtroom where Saddam and seven co-defendants spent months on trial for the killings of more than 148 Shiite Muslims from the town of Dujail.

The killings followed a crackdown on the town after a 1982 assassination attempt on Saddam.

Verdicts in that case are expected on Oct. 16.

With files from - The Associated Press

Comment woodbuck27:

Here we go again.

Sparkey
08-21-2006, 11:28 AM
You know what??? Im gonna pull a Mel!!

I hate White people! They are responsible for the high cost of suntan lotion!!!

Us whities keep that suntan lotion cost DOWN DOWN DOWN. Manufacturing in volume is what keeps per unit costs low.

Scott Campbell
08-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Good point Sparkey.

And you don't see us Crackers blaming the Mexicans for the price of tortillas.

MadtownPacker
08-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Yeah but how about the cost of marriage certificates? You Utah guys arent exactly helping out with that either!

woodbuck27
08-24-2006, 07:52 AM
Re-Call " the misery on some people here" back @ the JSO Packer Forum?

When I read the following. I was brought back to that painful/confusing time, that demonstrated "the pain/agony" that can be implemented by one person/person's against another/other's.

The Internet is for people here, a useful tool to enhance the quality of OUR lives through proper information exchange. Some treat that privalege, to offer their agendas that are dangerous/distructive.

Too often, we are careless in the manner we offer compassion to OUR fellows. We are blind... to examine in ourselves, OUR place as individuals to offer support for... the good... distain for what is wrong/bad.

We may question? What can I really do? Often we totally ignore current events.... fail ourselves in terms of OUR best place as human beings.

Someone?... said this. (and I paraphrase)

"When OUR time here is measured; it will not be for what we do for OURSELVES but rather what we did for OTHER's."

With that Introduction. The story that made me think.... got me to this post:

Ottawa lawyer asks CRTC to block access to US-based hate websites

23/08/2006

TORONTO (CP) -

One of two U.S.-based hate websites was taken offline Wednesday as an Ottawa lawyer and a Jewish lobby group asked Canada's telecommunications regulator to take the unprecedented step of blocking access to the sites from north of the border.

SEAN PATRICK SULLIVAN
The website, hosted by Google's weblog service Blogger, was one of two that human rights lawyer Richard Warman has asked the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission to review.

In an application to the CRTC, Warman said the websites, operated by a "notorious" Nazi sympathizer based in Virginia, contain material intended to incite violence against him that has caused him to fear for his life.

"We want Blogger to enable free expression, including the hosting of views and opinions that are unpopular," Google spokesman Steve Langdon said.

"However, advocating violence against a person is not acceptable."

Some entries on the websites call for "violent overthrow" of the Canadian government and the "extermination" of Jews in Canada.

The application to the CRTC described Bill White of Roanoke, Virginia, as a neo-Nazi who has encouraged people to "take violent action" against Warman and even posted his home address on the sites.

Although the sites are beyond the reach of Canadian law, the CRTC has the rarely used power to order Internet providers to temporarily block them from Canadian web surfers.

But the regulatory body must first issue an order allowing Internet carriers to do so voluntarily.

Warman said he was prompted to file the application because the neo-Nazi movement, that has a history of engaging in violence against their perceived enemies.

"The fewer people in Canada who are reading incitement to murder me, the happier I'll be." Warman said.

"This is an application to protect all decent people from this sort of insane content. There's an actual call to murder myself and all Canadian Jews."

It's believed to be the first time the CRTC has been asked to block Canadian access to a foreign website, said telecommunications industry consultant Mark Goldberg.

"This is precedent-setting work" said Goldberg, who is also a member of the Ontario executive of the Canadian Jewish Congress.

If the sites were hosted in Canada, Internet carriers would find them in contravention of their user agreements, he said.

But Canadian law prevents carriers from blocking hate sites without the express permission of the CRTC, which is being sought by Warman.

Bernie Farber, the CJC's chief executive officer, said White has crossed "all kinds of legal lines" in inciting violence against Warman.

"We're not dealing with a free speech issue here, we're dealing with what I believe is a criminal matter - somebody counselling other people to go ahead and murder somebody," Farber said.

White, a former spokesman for the National Socialist Movement, one of the largest neo-Nazi parties in the U.S., readily admits to making the threats.

"All I am doing is making a point about tyrannical and dangerous the Canadian government has become," said White, who describes himself as the editor of a publication called the Libertarian Socialist News.

"I really can't see a difference between the Canadian government and the kind of governments we're told exist in countries like North Korea or Iraq."

He said blocking his sites won't work - he'll just move them to a different spot on the web.

Goldberg acknowledged that blocking the URL - the address typed into a browser to access the website - won't prevent the content from popping up somewhere else.

But he said a ruling would put a "speed bump" in the ability of a person to distribute hate material.

"Once we have precedence, hopefully it will be a reasonable process to say, 'This is the same site that just changed its name."'

Goldberg said he's had a positive response from Canadian Internet carriers about blocking the site if the CRTC gives its blessing.

Internet providers that don't block the sites may make themselves legally liable if a user acts on what they read online, Warman suggested.

"The law and the Internet is an evolving field," he said.

"This is perhaps one of the first times where there's been such a direct call to violence that has presented itself in this form."

Comment woodbuck27:

Please comment - as you may.

Have "a Great Day" PACKERRATS. :mrgreen: